Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

suleo

Scholar
* Albertus Kalkstein and Alfrod Nabel.
* Druid hippies going all green and tree-hugging at the end
* People singing the "imperial march" from Star wars.

EDIT: Oh and the "knight-oath" in Act IV is a verbatim copy from "Kingdom of Heaven" (but without Liam this time).

pug987

Scholar
I really liked the reference to "The Seventh Seal".

Now that I got a new graphic card it's probably time to play it again although I'll wait for the 1.2 patch. Supposedly it reduces the loading times. Any news about when it will be released?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
pug987 said:
I really liked the reference to "The Seventh Seal".

Now that I got a new graphic card it's probably time to play it again although I'll wait for the 1.2 patch. Supposedly it reduces the loading times. Any news about when it will be released?

Before Christmas. Hurry!

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Hey I'm new to the codex and I just thought I'd share some of my impressions of the witcher with you guys.

Though most people here (and in general) seem to think it's a great game I didn't feel the same way. For some reason it just wasn't immersive or fun enough. I don't have arguments to support this other than the fact that I was bored playing it (I only played the first and second chapters). Maybe it was the badly translated dialogue or the repetitive combat but it just wasn't a fun experience for me, despite all the choices and consequences.

Does anyone else here feel the same way?

Mayday

Augur
Marcelo21 said:
Maybe it was the badly translated dialogue or the repetitive combat

Plz name a game without repetitive combat that you preferred, so we may better understand your needs and make a better game next time.

Mayday said:
Marcelo21 said:

Plz name a game without repetitive combat that you preferred, so we may better understand your needs and make a better game next time.
I didn't know you were on the Witcher team!

Mayday

Augur
Futile Rhetoric said:
Mayday said:
Marcelo21 said:
I didn't know you were on the Witcher team!
Uh, dude. My name is Michał Madej.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Futile Rhetoric said:
For all I know that's the Polish variant of "John Smith".

The variant of "John Smith" in Polish is "Jan Kowalski".

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Mayday said:
Marcelo21 said:

I'm not saying the combat is bad because it is repetitive (though that certainly doesn't help).
Personally I just find it boring and shallow as I didn't feel there was a good tactical element to it. The fact that it happens so often throughout the game doesn't help either.

Also I hated managing my loot. There was too much of it and the tiny icons really didn't help. Much of the loot was trash and the fact that every shopkeeper was only willing to buy certain types of items.

Another thing is that alchemy is quite important in the game but I'm never interested in systems like that and crafting in any games.

I'm not saying it's a bad game but it just didn't cater to me and I was wondering whether anyone here agreed with me or had an interesting point in favor of the game.

suleo

Scholar
Marcelo21 said:
...or had an interesting point in favor of the game.

What, 41 pages of praise are not sufficient for you?

Ok let me make this easy:

* Repetitive combat? Not really. Play on hard. Positioning is important, dodging is important, combat styles matter. Mashing the LMB will get you killed quickly. After you master combat, it actually flows almost naturally. It's RT combat done right, for a change. And unlike Gothic, that excelled at 1vs1 RT combat but was weak in 1vsMany situations, the witcher got that right as well.

* Too much combat? Are you kidding? The only place where there is too much combat is in act 5 and 6, but you didn't even get there. And by that time, you have some equipment that will scare most monsters away so they won't bother you much. Overall there is actually LESS combat than NWN2, and NWN2 is not branded as an "action rpg".

* Loot management? WHAT LOOT? It's mostly alchemical ingredient management. If you don't want to bother with secondary effects, then that's really not much management at all.

* Merchants not buying all your junk? Well, guess what, that actually makes sense! Do you typically sell your car at a bookstore?

* Alchemy not to your liking? Well, sorry, can't help you there. Alchemy was very enjoyable and I wish it was actually even *more* important on hard. It's also a very refreshing change from the standard D&D-like "buff-nuke-heal-rinse-repeat" ordeal. Example: try going to the swamp in act 2, on hard, and fight a bloodguiser without acid protection, or a wyvern without poison protection and watch yourself get totally pwned. Preparing for combat by using different potions according to what you're about to face is very nice, as opposed to "oh let me put on my ring of protection +10 and look, i am poison/acid/fire/multiheadeddick immune".

For me the witcher is a very good game because:
* It steers away from most typical RPG cliches, which is very important if you've been playing RPGs for 18 years...
* It is not totally lala-fantasy-land, it has a more mature theme
* It gets most of its mechanics just right

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom