Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Hm, ok, but it doesn't change anything about what happens in the game, does it?
The story will unfold the same way (necessarily so since the conversations happen very late in the game, so unless CDP has developed some potato-fueled time-traveling code...) and even if his motivations were different - his actions were not.
Even act 5 stays the same, I think? Hence, flavor text.

Act V change based on your choices (and a choice you made in Act III).
About the Grand Master, his actions don't change, what you say to Alvin only matters in terms of "his motivation".

Old One

Arcane
I was generally friendly toward Siegfried, but I ended the game as a neutral ninny. The one thing that disappointed me about TW1 was...
...I didn't believe Siegfried would ultimately go along with the Grand Master's plan. That was inconsistent with the character of Siegfried from Act II. I thought it was more likely he would protest and be killed by The Order.

Also...
I had forgotten just how insane the Grand Master's plan really was. Totally nuts. I guess I kind of liked that, since a lot of game stories try to rationalize the villain.

Gord

Arcane
I was generally friendly toward Siegfried, but I ended the game as a neutral ninny.

Same here. Ultimately both sides were being shown as fanatic idiots. Siegfried seemed reasonable enough over the course of the game, but
during the end of act 4 he's absent, so instead of following along with one side, I decided to go fuck you all.

But I would have expected from
the earlier interactions with him that you are able to convince him at some point to adopt a more open stance towards the Scoiatel or at least see the folly in the grand master's schemes.
Unfortunately such a possibility never seemed to arise. And maybe it would be too much idyllic fairytale world for TW anyway.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't remember it that clearly, but I think that if you take the neutral path, in your final meeting in the epilogue you can convince Siegfried that he's not exactly fighting the good fight, at least to an extent.

I don't think Siegfried staying loyal to the Order was inconsistent with his character in any way, as even though he's shown as an idealist, he also comes off as a really loyal guy that wants to believe that he's doing the right thing, no matter what kind of a shady or shitty job he's ordered to do. Without Geralt or someone else to convince him otherwise, it's no wonder he stays on the Grand Master's side even after shit hits the fan.

Gord

Arcane
I don't remember it that clearly, but I think that if you take the neutral path, in your final meeting in the epilogue you can convince Siegfried that he's not exactly fighting the good fight, at least to an extent.

I could only convince him to
stop killing civilians. He would then proclaim that he will rather focus on the true enemy, the Scoiatel.

Maybe there are other options, though, depending on your previous actions.
You are probably right about him being a very loyal character. What happens in Act 5 should however make it clear to him that
the order is betraying many of his ideals.
That's assuming he knows about that stuff or is not going all :hearnoevil:

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Only SJW were on the elves side in tw :D.
LOL probably

About Sigfried

He was a knight that...yes, had some principle, but he was also extremely loyal and fanatic. He ends up to be as retard as his father was, so that really didn't bother me much.

Old One

Arcane
Siegfried:
Siegfried expresses reservations about killing Squirrels even after he wins the battle in the swamp. He seems disgusted by it, and mentions that the elves were desperate and starving. Also, there are other Order knights who don't like Siegfried because he doesn't hate the Squirrels enough. I'm thinking mainly of the knight you meet in the inn in Act III - the one who asks you to help find his vampire whore sister.

To me Siegfried seems like the kind of character who would turn his back on the Order once they let him in on the secret knowledge about Lord Xenu and how all the world's problems are caused by millions of disoriented alien souls who were murdered in volcanos.

It would be interesting if you could get Siegfried to turn his back on the Order at the end depending on whether or not you invite him to Shani's party.

The Grand Master:
Did anyone else notice that the GM's vision of the future is populated by skullheads? If you read the lore book about skullheads, it says they're an extinct race of creatures from the past only known through fossils discovered by archeologists.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I got myself Witcher 1 even tho I really hate action-adventure RPG of this kind. The whole serie received too much praised not to try it (and it was on sale on Steam). Are there any essential mod to enjoy this ?

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Essential? I can't think of any I would call essential.

Last time I played it I used Rise of the White Wolf, which I think is quite good, but certainly not essential.

Even though you generally don't like games of this kind, I do think it's worth giving The Witcher a try.

What I meant by essential is ''really good''. Any restored content one ? Cool and simple up-graphic ones ? etc.

Old One

Arcane
What I meant by essential is ''really good''. Any restored content one ? Cool and simple up-graphic ones ? etc.
I would say Rise of the White Wolf qualifies then. It's mostly re-textures and UI improvements. Whether or not you consider them improvements is a matter of taste, I guess. Nine times out of ten I like the overall feel better than vanilla.

I suppose would probably stick with vanilla for a first game though. As you play, you'll probably find little functionality things about it you dislike. Often you can dig up small mods that alter the things you don't like and add these mods as you go without breaking your saves.

The main thing I recommend is to play around with the three camera settings until you find the one you like best. This will impact your enjoyment a lot, I think. Don't be afraid to switch settings depending on which seems best for a particular situation. Some work better for outdoors and some work better for enclosed spaces like caves.

Combat is usually off-putting to new players. I hated it at first, but that's mostly because your character is a pathetic weakling at the beginning. It makes more sense once he's able to actually do stuff.

You ought to know that you will encounter long cut scenes that end suddenly with your character being dumped into the middle of difficult combat situations. Be prepared for this. Later in the game it won't be such a problem.

Talk to every character you see, even then "generic" ones.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
The Grand Master:
Did anyone else notice that the GM's vision of the future is populated by skullheads? If you read the lore book about skullheads, it says they're an extinct race of creatures from the past only known through fossils discovered by archeologists.
They are supposed to show evolutionary "regression" caused by the new ice age.

Beastro

Arcane
The Grand Master:

They were supposedly what remained of Mankind so it's not a leap to assume that they were like Mankind's ancestors and the similar conditions of the last ice age and the new one were enough to force Mankind down a similar path ala convergent evolution.

So they're not literally the ones from the previous one, but similar enough to be looked on as the same by someone from Geralt's time.

For those criticizing Grand Master: and what the fuck did you do to save human race?

You miss the entire point: It's a problem too far off and too massive to be worried about for those of Geralt's time. There's better things to focus on and was even too big a problem for even the Grand Master to overcome. His actions also prove that, by obsessing so much over it look at all the crap he did.

That then ties into the ending and what the King of the Wild Hunt says to Geralt calling him his unwitting agent of chaos who will serve him regardless of what actions he makes, it's an allusion to the greater natural event going to happen: Nothing will stop the White Frost nor should they, it's just an event in time beyond mortals and they shouldn't be causing more problems by trying to stop it.

Sadly CD Projekt seemed to have forgotten this, one of their central themes of the first game was how it both invalidates and confirms the Witcher's ethic. How it's wise to stay out of things and not make them worse but at the same time Witcher's aren't removed observers of their world and cannot help but make an impact upon it through their actions or inactions, their neutrality is ultimately an illusion, and at best, an ideal goal to aim towards that they can never attain.

The third game should never had the White Frost or any world threatening event because it goes against everything the series stands for and was already crossing the line with Geralt being Foltest's pet Witcher (which was another thing they dropped the ball on. Foltest's death should have been a shock to Geralt's ethic system and reminded him he got too involved and that he needed to step away, not throw himself deeper into the political web once the Assassins were dealt with. Instead it's more "Oh good, someone knocked the guy off saving me the need to hand in my resignation!").

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Are there any essential mod to enjoy this ?

Not really. Scabbards mod for IMMERSHUN and Texturen mod if your PC can handle it aka game doesn't crash at every tavern after couple of minutes. Oh, there's FCR and Rise of the White Wolf but I wouldn't suggest either of those for a first time playthrough. Also, look up custom adventures after you go through couple of those that come with the game nowadays.

Starwars

Arcane
I used the unlimited stacking mod (or whatever it's called) last time I played since I really can't stand the inventory shit in these games.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Beastro Was GM someone from "Geralt's times"?

Also let's just give up because an old prophecy and a dude-that-wants-to-destroy-whole-human-race says so.

GM was another great visionary, broken by superstitious, petty, small minded plebs.

Stormcrowfleet Play vanilla game first.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
This one is essential imo. The original inventory is shit.
There's nothing wrong with the original inventory, in fact it's easily one of the better ones around. The mod allows you to hoard stuff like hell and carry around a ton of weapons by stuffing them into potion slots among other retarded shit, which completely ruins the whole thing and undoubtedly fucks up the game's economy right from the start as well.

Old One

Arcane
RE: the GM:
My interpretation of the skullheads is that Alvin's visions, being inherently chaotic and uncontrollable, are not exclusively visions of the future, but of many different times and places mixed together. The Frost might be the distant future, or it might be the distant past, or both. His interpretation of what he sees is very suspect. I mean, just look at how he twists everything Geralt tries to tell him throughout the whole game.

Salvia

Barely Literate
Hi. I'm looking for someone who knows how to mod the witcher 1. I want to disable the LOD in the game. (objects become more detailed as you come close).

If you think you can help. please message me. Thanks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom