Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Weekly/Yearly LOL Baldur's Gate sucks thread!

deamento

Scholar
Oh, well, there we go then.
I have no clue how 4e would translate into a crpg (it didn't translate well into mmorpgs, I can tell you that for a fact) but I don't think it'd be very popular.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I actually agree with the OP somehow. I never managed to beat BG1, I get horribly bored when I reach Baldur's Gate. IWD 1 & 2 on the other hand I really love, but I think it has to do with being able to create your own party - this is a major point for me (yes I know, you can basically create a party in BG but you know what I mean).

Also Imoen sucks in BG1.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
This thread inspired me to check Coutelier's latest deviantart.

run_child__get_out_of_here__by_coutelier-d6ar6mt.jpg

:whatho:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Also Imoen sucks in BG1.

Yet she's still the best thief. The others all have a worse set of ability scores.

You can create your entire party in BG1 btw, you just start a multiplayer game by youself, and it's exactly the same as IWD ....

That's what I did the very first time I played it, I loved that you could make your entire party.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also Imoen sucks in BG1.

Yet she's still the best thief. The others all have a worse set of ability scores.

You can create your entire party in BG1 btw, you just start a multiplayer game by youself, and it's exactly the same as IWD ....

That's what I did the very first time I played it, I loved that you could make your entire party.

Yeah, she's the best thief, but she is also horribly annoying and over the top.

And sure, you can create the entire party but I somehow feel as if I am playing it kinda wrong when doing so, the game is clearly meant to be played with NPCs.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Unlike BG2 (which has companion quests that grant experience), there's pretty much nothing in BG1 that you lose from not using any companions apart from a very select few lines of dialogue and some banter. The first few maps are only designed for a handful of NPCs, but you can have 6 party members as soon as you get to the Friendly Arm.

You can also copy your MP save across to SP too ;)

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Unlike BG2 (which has companion quests that grant experience), there's pretty much nothing in BG1 that you lose from not using any companions apart from a very select few lines of dialogue and some banter. The first few maps are only designed for a handful of NPCs, but you can have 6 party members as soon as you get to the Friendly Arm.

As Excidium said, it just feels wrong. I realize this is probably a personal issue but I just cannot help it ;)

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
You should create a party of only five people, so you can recruit Minsk.
Minsc will go berserk on the party if you don't rescue Dynaheir within three days and will leave the party if you dismiss her from the party. :smug:
Speaking of which, I'm glad BG2 dropped the paired NPCs: Jaheira & Khalid, Minsc & Dynaheir, Monty & Xzar, Eldoth & Skye.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Alora, Safana and Coran are all good choices. And Monty is avaible as early and is a lot more useful in the beginning than Imoen. Quale isn't bad for change of pace.

Alora is for... patient people however, since she is like Imoen on steroids.

Sensuki

Arcane
Imoen has the best dex and con (better AC and HP), the others are all inferior. Imoen also has better saves overall. Straight Thief is a pretty shit class in the BGs though, Fighter/Thief is a lot better.

Shadenuat

Arcane
No she doesn't have best DEX. Coran and Alora have higher DEX that she does. And you don't really need high HP and saving throws for thief in BG1, since there are no mass death spells and you won't put straight thief in front lines anyway.

As for BG2, thieves are p. powerful there because they get traps, higher backstab multiplier, free True Sight and ToB abilities.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
BG2 and IWD are the good IE games, BG and IWD2 are nothing special/skippable, PST is a special case because it's OMG bestest codex rpg, but also kind of a shit game, more news at 11.

Actually the rewards you get from npc quests in BG2 are very meh (the wizardry ring from Jaheira's quest being the only exception) and the quests themselves are of the boring BG1-like "travel 4 screens to exchange 3 lines of inane dialogue" variety. Oh, and not having to deal with bioware npcs actually improves the game quite a lot imo.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
No she doesn't have best DEX. Coran and Alora have higher DEX that she does. And you don't really need high HP and saving throws for thief in BG1, since there are no mass death spells and you won't put straight thief in front lines anyway.

As for BG2, thieves are p. powerful there because they get traps, higher backstab multiplier, free True Sight and ToB abilities.
A swashbuckler is the best thief kit, imo. Traps and backstab damage take a back seat to the Thac0 and AC bonuses they get, plus dual wielding. The reduced points don't mean shit, since the only skills you need as a thief (utility wise) are detect/disarm.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
All the thief kits are very interesting and pretty powerful. They did a good job of making the class something more than a dead weight that you carry around just for the traps and closed locks.

Shadenuat

Arcane
If you're going swashbuckler imo you might as well go dual/multi. I played (straight) evil swashbuckler up to ToB, it was okay, but dual can do better I think.

Here's where I learned to love thieves: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/470765-baldurs-gate-ii-throne-of-bhaal/faqs/27550
Personally I like all them skills. I like stealing every scroll from Deirdre for example :Mand you can steal all 9 level scrolls in ToB.

deamento

Scholar
Eh, I guess that's your opinion then,i thought PS:T was a pretty great game, the gameplay was crap but the story and characters were pretty great.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
That's exactly what I meant.

If you're going swashbuckler imo you might as well go dual/multi. I played (straight) evil swashbuckler up to ToB, it was okay, but dual can do better I think.
ToB introduces a lot of retarded op stuff and the thief gets the most out of it with the use any item ability. Swashbuckler + plate armor = :retarded:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
ToB introduces a lot of retarded op stuff and the thief gets the most out of it with the use any item ability. Swashbuckler + plate armor = :retarded:

Meh, forget about swashies and plate armor. Try a dual class kensai/thief with grandmastery in staves wearing armor and using Staff of Magi (thanks to UAI) + Staff of Ram (the most damaging melee weapon in addition to staves being best backstab weapon class overall), you can backstab and disappear at will, dispel Dragon's protective buffs with one hit, are a beast in melee etc. fun times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom