Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cadmus

Arcane
I havent been following this thread but Im looking forward to the game. How long after the release do you expect it takes them to patch it up so that its actually playable in the way it was intended?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When people ask that question, I can never tell if they genuinely believe somebody could answer it, or if they're just being edgy.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How long after the release do you expect it takes them to patch it up so that its actually playable in the way it was intended?
I feel like there will be some really nice patches in the first month, and then over the next two months some more cracks will be filled in, and then things will slow down at Xmas. I'm going to be playing on day one because I can't wait, but I'd say if you have the patience, wait until either Halloween or Xmas. I don't expect support to stop then either; this is the kind of project that may be tweaked and accessorized for years. To say nothing of user mods. But I expect a beautiful coat of post-release polish by Xmas.

Of course, I am completely full of shit. There has never really been a crowdfunded project of this scope with open development before, so there's no pattern to refer to that I'm aware of. But you asked for opinions :)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout 2 haters
Is this a thing?

Serious question?

Fallout 2 was hated the moment it came out. Fallout 3, being what it is, subdued that opinion, but for *hardcore* Fallout fans the decline began with F2.

Theres still plenty of people around that think of F1 as the only good Fallout.

I played Fallout 2 first and I loved it. And I immediately had to play Fallout 1. The experience was a little underwhelming but as the time passes and my brain matured, I've come to appreciate Fallout 1 more because of a more cleaner and a more condensed post apocalyptic experience.

Lhynn

Arcane
Fallout 2 haters
Is this a thing?

Serious question?

Fallout 2 was hated the moment it came out. Fallout 3, being what it is, subdued that opinion, but for *hardcore* Fallout fans the decline began with F2.

Theres still plenty of people around that think of F1 as the only good Fallout.

I played Fallout 2 first and I loved it. And I immediately had to play Fallout 1. The experience was a little underwhelming but as the time passes and my brain matured, I've come to appreciate Fallout 1 more because of a more cleaner and a more condensed post apocalyptic experience.
Yeah but... hating it? for real?

DeepOcean

Arcane
I prefer the first fallout. That was the one made by Bethesda, right? The second one in Vegas had too much dialogue and hard choices.
Yeah... Man, I liked how Bethesda was creative and invented original things like the Enclave and the Brotherhood of Steel, Obsidian are a bunch of talentless hacks that had to copy them on New Vegas. I don't understand Obsidian fanboys, if wasn't for Bethesda, the Fallout series wouldn't even exist.

likaq

Arcane
I prefer the first fallout. That was the one made by Bethesda, right? The second one in Vegas had too much dialogue and hard choices.

And forced replay value.

""Forced replay value. The game depends heavily on factions. But what this means is that you can’t see everything your first trip through. That means, unlike the original, you can’t do everything in one go. You essentially have to restart (or go back to saves before you find yourself committed to one faction or another) in order to see how everything comes out.""

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...out-3-is-better-than-fallout-new-vegas.55201/

Edit: full version of the article:
"The recent release of Fallout New Vegas has left the gaming community abuzz. Would we get a worthwhile title, or was this actually released too soon? I’ve been playing it for the last couple weeks now, and I’m convinced I’ve barely scratched the surface. We’ve already reviewed it here, but now, I’m set to take a look at it to close out the week. As much as I liked Fallout New Vegas, I just don’t think it stacks up to its previous installment. Fallout 3, so far, has been better than Fallout New Vegas, and here are the top six reasons why.

6. Too many continuity issues. I understand that Fallout 3 isn’t related to Fallout New Vegas, but we ARE in the same universe here. And as such, there were plenty of strange details no one seems to be willing to account for. For instance, while it was good to see the Brotherhood of Steel still up and running, I expected their presence to be a lot bigger given how near to their home ground they were. And where was the Enclave? For crying out loud, the Enclave is one state away! How is it NOT interfering? Surely the Enclave didn’t lose sufficient forces in the oil rig disaster to not have a presence left in California! Surely everybody didn’t pack up for the Capitol Wasteland! And while we’re at it, we’re in Nevada this time. Aliens got their own downloadable content in Fallout 3, but we can’t go to Roswell? Area 51? I’d like to at least see the Area 2 the Boomers were talking about where they landed their upgraded weapons. I can’t find it as is. Maybe there are explanations for some of this in the likely upcoming downloadable content, but for right now, lots of strange gray areas exist.

5. Frequent bugs. Sure, Fallout 3 was not without its issues–strange animal / rock hybrids where the various horrors of the Wasteland had fused with rocks–but they’re all over in Fallout New Vegas. I have lost multiple save games to Fallout New Vegas’ strange memory issues (seemingly whenever I come out of Vault 3), and once, I fell through the floor at the train tunnel near the Boomers’ camp. I was magically deposited in front of the exit, but it was still pretty weird. My companions would appear and disappear at random. I even had problems with the loading screen locking up. That roulette wheel suddenly stopping was an active heartbreaker. Sure, there are patches now, and that’s great. But still–even with patches, plenty of people are still having troubles.

4. Forced replay value. The game depends heavily on factions. Whether you’re working with the New California Republic, Caesar’s Legion, Mr. House, or just working for an independent New Vegas, you’re working for somebody. But what this means is that you can’t see everything your first trip through. Because once you get sufficiently deep in with some faction, you’ll be shunned by the other factions. My first playthrough found me committed to an independent New Vegas, and after starting to work with Mr. House, I was told that the NCR and Caesar’s Legion weren’t interested in working with me. That means, unlike the original, you can’t do everything in one go. You essentially have to restart (or go back to saves before you find yourself committed to one faction or another) in order to see how everything comes out.

3. Relatively limited story. Where with Fallout 3, you’d find both a larger story and a whole array of little stories. Whether you’re trying to help the Brotherhood of Steel wipe out the Enclave or you’re just out to save Megaton from an atomic fireball, you had all manner of stories. But in Fallout New Vegas, you’ll often find locations that seem to have no purpose. My time at Coyote Tail Ridge was a largely pointless venture, and I still find myself wondering what it means. I can’t find any actual purpose, other than a handful of graves nearby. It seems unconnected to any story, and…it’s just there. Why is it there? The Wiki gives me some story about NCR ambush teams and the whole Great Khans thing, but is this worth making a location out of it?

2. Radio options fewer. First, it IS awesome that they got Wayne Newton to handle the voice of Mr. New Vegas. That’s great. It’s wonderful, it truly is. But that having been said, Mr. New Vegas is no Three Dog. The news does not keep up the way it did back in Fallout 3. I remember Three Dog being horrified when I sent a horde of feral ghouls rampaging through Tenpenny Tower, and being filled with hope when I got Brian Wilks a home in the Capitol Wasteland. Mr. New Vegas, meanwhile, is too busy schmoozing to invisible characters to bother too much with what I do, and that detachment is disappointing. Dammit, Wayne, I just sent a horde of Caesar’s Legion slavers to their fiery deaths in Nelson, the least you can do is stop flirting with whatever blue hair happens to be listening long enough to say something about it! Oh, you did? No, you said the NCR took it back. The NCR stood around looking stupid while I handed Dead Sea his silly little skirt, but do you mention me? Oh no. Not you.

1. Increased emphasis on speech challenges. This annoyed me, and annoyed many of the folks I talked about with this, but for some reason, Fallout New Vegas depends a lot more on speech challenges than anything else. I, like many of my contemporaries, began by tricking out my skills in firearms and explosives, lockpicks and medicine and the like. But as it turns out, the biggest part of this game seemed to be the thing I usually needed least, especially in the last go-round. Sure, in Fallout 3, if I was a smooth talker I could get some things done. But in Fallout: New Vegas, I’m at a serious disadvantage if I can’t talk straight. It’s almost preposterous how much of this game depends on my ability to talk my way out of a fight instead of blast my way out of it with something heavy, and energy based.

Let’s not forget the central thrust here. For the most part, Fallout New Vegas is a great game, a fantastic time and well worth your time to play. It just has a rough time competing with its predecessor, and hopefully, as the inevitable flood of DLC emerges, Fallout New Vegas will only get better. But as it sits right now, it just can’t beat its predecessor. The student has not yet surpassed the master…though it may."

Last edited:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Physical copies will be shipped out to the address you listed on the Ranger Center. All physical copies – retail and backers – will need the ability for a day 1 patch system. By the time physical copies arrive to backers the gold master version we sent out for print will be a month and a half old, and will be missing vital optimization and balance passes, as well as systemic changes like the addition of headshots that we recently put in. We need to ensure that our players are experiencing the most up to date code, so we will be utilizing the automatic updating system that Steam provides for physical copies.
So the same as D:OS. Roguey butthurt incoming.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Physical copies will be shipped out to the address you listed on the Ranger Center. All physical copies – retail and backers – will need the ability for a day 1 patch system. By the time physical copies arrive to backers the gold master version we sent out for print will be a month and a half old, and will be missing vital optimization and balance passes, as well as systemic changes like the addition of headshots that we recently put in. We need to ensure that our players are experiencing the most up to date code, so we will be utilizing the automatic updating system that Steam provides for physical copies.
Of course, if you read on:

Every physical copy tier comes with a digital version of the game also, where you can pick the fully DRM-free GOG.com or Steam. If you prefer a fully DRM-free physical copy we will be willing to print and ship a day-1 version of the game to you at a later time, simply contact us through the Ranger Center if this has your preference.
So, either way you can get a DRM-free disc version (and at no extra charge) but you will have to wait a bit longer. We're dealing with a primarily digital market, and unfortunately the realities of making physical goods are such that you're looking at around a month's turn-around time for manufacturing.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Trailer looks way better than i though game would look (i only saw it during production few times, since then went completely black).
Damn i hyped as fuck.

After my D:OS 100h in 7 days i will probably do the same with W2.

The robots are great, but I hope they fixed the AI on the killers, one of the patches seemed to break them, and they went from death machines to fish in a barrel.
Haven't played the latest patch because 130 hours, don't want to be completely burned out on Arizona for when the game is released.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course, if you read on:

Every physical copy tier comes with a digital version of the game also, where you can pick the fully DRM-free GOG.com or Steam. If you prefer a fully DRM-free physical copy we will be willing to print and ship a day-1 version of the game to you at a later time, simply contact us through the Ranger Center if this has your preference.
So, either way you can get a DRM-free disc version (and at no extra charge) but you will have to wait a bit longer. We're dealing with a primarily digital market, and unfortunately the realities of making physical goods are such that you're looking at around a month's turn-around time for manufacturing.
A month to wait?! After the release... so I won't receive it until mid Oct?! Every KS except SRR has shipped so much later after release :(

:rage::rage::rage:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DAMN! Liked the trailer. I have not been paying any attention at all to this game. That looks so fucking sweet!

Thankfully, Fargo didn't want to End Fun™.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Headshot: +2 AP, +60% Critical Chance, -30% Accuracy.

Wow, this is cool: https://twitter.com/spiritedgeek/status/505475811659378688

Someone found my Easter Egg in Wasteland 2. Muwahaha! >:)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/240760/discussions/0/34095131807396433/#c34096318735855606

The best of them all. A file in the gamefiles called "Diskette". This is the program that runs on the "snake" arcade machine in Rangers Citadel. The Arcade machine is in reality a emulator. It can run any 6205 game (The Comandore 64 was based of a modified 6502 processor) that you save in place of the "diskette" file. The file can be found here:
C:\Users\"user"\Documents\My Games\Wasteland2\Drive1

This is the explanation text from the "diskette" file:
Greetings programs! You might be wondering what this file is. This is Vargas's Snake game on the computer in Ranger Citadel. More specifically it's a program for a computer based on a 6502 processor... which we here at inXile emulated within the game. Replace this file with your own 6502 program and you have your very own 1980's 64k computer! Programs are loaded into memory location $7000, keyboard input at $FFF0, random number at $FFFA. Look at the code of this game to get hints on how to access the graphics (low res 32x32 and high res 160x160) and text mode. We even created a special font for text based games. There's lots of great resources online for programming for the 6502. Relive the glory of the computers of the 80's. From everyone here at inXile, a huge thank you to our backers for making Wasteland 2 a reality. Many of us started programming on 6502 based machines. They hold a special place in history and in our hearts. Just like the original Wasteland. We wanted to throw in a little Easter Egg for our backers who also remember peeking and poking and seeing '0x20' and thinking 'Jump'. Be sure to share your programs on our Wasteland 2 forum at inxile-entertainment.com! We'll have more helpful dev info there (full memory mapping details, soft switches, code snippets, etc) once people begin to discover this Easter Egg. Happy coding! ;) -inXile

Best Easter egg I've ever seen...

-ED-

tl;dr They implemented a Commodore 64 processor emulator in the game! :)

And now it has its own forum! https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=39

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Dat 1000 HP Scorpitron.

wSFDj7R.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom