Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Equip the repeater to your hotbar and use it with the big slot at the base of the tower (the crane in Highpool's case, the antenna is mounted to the crane).
Thanks, I knew it had to be somewhere else, but on the other side of town? :retarded:

aratuk

Cipher
Holy shit the Steam forums are full of retards :lol::lol:

Yes.

STEAM.png

Where do you begin? You DON'T! You don't...

Tigranes

Arcane
Scaling down AA & graphics quality mysteriously fixed post-update crashing problem, as if it was some kind of loading / memory issue. Enjoying Highpool much more than Ag Centre, I think there was too much storydump at the beginning of Ag Centre, it feels more linear, etc. Although I don't know, on paper the exploding dudes should make combat more interesting and the area SHOULD feel claustrophobic. We'll see.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Thanks, I knew it had to be somewhere else, but on the other side of town? :retarded:
They tell you that the repeater unit junction and the radio tower are/near the crane immediately after the Wrecking Crew get thwarted. What you were doing inside was getting the pipes working again, which is a completely unrelated and optional task (but affects the outcome of the election in Highpool).

Scaling down AA & graphics quality mysteriously fixed post-update crashing problem, as if it was some kind of loading / memory issue. Enjoying Highpool much more than Ag Centre, I think there was too much storydump at the beginning of Ag Centre, it feels more linear, etc. Although I don't know, on paper the exploding dudes should make combat more interesting and the area SHOULD feel claustrophobic. We'll see.
Funny, I had the exact opposite impression - Ag Center has more variety, has more , is less linear, has better encounter design and more interesting enemies, a more compelling sub-plot going on, and better atmosphere. Goes to show that different people can have completely different opinions and justify it the exact same way. :P

Though that said, I agree Ag Center starts to drag a bit compared to Highpool.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They tell you that the repeater unit junction and the radio tower are/near the crane immediately after the Wrecking Crew get thwarted. What you were doing inside was getting the pipes working again, which is a completely unrelated and optional task (but affects the outcome of the election in Highpool).

It didn't seem optional to me since you have to restore power to the radio and the switch is in room 6 in the pipes. And you can't turn that on without opening all the valves first. I thought the optional quest is going to the Wrecking Crew's camp outside town.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It didn't seem optional to me since you have to restore power to the radio and the switch is in room 6 in the pipes. And you can't turn that on without opening all the valves first. I thought the optional quest is going to the Wrecking Crew's camp outside town.
Actually, it is optional. Double-spoilers:
You need to get to the power switch to turn on the radio but you don't have to do the whole pipe valve thing for it. You can leave the area and return later and the pipes will have blown, which will suck for the town but you can still turn on the power. Either way you can ignore the valves or not do it first, which has a bit of reactivity...

If the pipes blow and you go clear the Wrecking Crew camp before, Sean wins the mayoral election.

Arkeus

Arcane
Why funny? Makes perfect sense, jRPGs are also a one-shot experience. Take one of the best jRPGs ever, FF6; replaying it kills any drama or sense of discovery the original playthrough had.

Chrono Trigger is the exception to the rule, but it's arguably the best jRPG ever made, so it's hors concours really...
That highly depends what kind of JRPG you are playing. Stuff like the Atelier series have ridiculous C&C, much more than pretty much any western games, and even the pretty straightforward JRPG like the Shadow Hearts series or the Tales series have stuff that makes you want to replay them (either because of how the plot works, or because of stuff like the Grade Shop and playing with a wholly different character).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
High quantity of C&C alone doesn't translate into high replay value... Agarest has lots of different paths and like 15 waifus to choose, and I was curious on the changes, but no fucking way in hell I'm ever replaying that game.

Usually jRPGs are full of stuff that seriously hurts replayability, like long dungeons, long dialogs, long custcenes, grinding... to the point that games that want to add replayability usually add features like fast-fowarding, skipping entire scenes and even a "digest mode" in Agarest Zero, that eliminates all trash combat and random battles.

bminorkey

early access wasteland 2 goes for 60$ on steam. isn't that a bit much? or is that an early access thing

JParabellum

Novice
This is my review.

The Auto health regen... I have mixed feelings about it. I did think that it occured too often but I remember it being a feature in Wasteland it just was not as obvious. Your character healed over time. Maybe if they lowered the number of occurrences it would work better.

Camera Angle controls... I really do not like them. If anything they made it harder for me to find that second area that completes the map. (Radio Tower area)

Scarcity of Ammo... It is only scarce in the beginning. If you are good at combat and get a lot of spoils you can buy a lot of ammo from the Merchant in Highpool. When I killed all the raiders in highpool (took a few reloads), I had 5 assault rifles, 8 clubs, 4 knives, 1 smg and a few other things. I would like a body part targeting option to save ammo.

The merchant system... I hate selling things that I have more of because there is no way to keep one and sell the rest unless I equip my character with it then sell the rest of the stack. A quantity choice would be a really good addition.

Game Font.... Font is too thin for me to read at times.

Now this game is a lot more complete than any Early Access beta I have ever played. I was amazed at how complete it is. Yes there are a lot of bugs and things that need tweaking but to me it is more put together than some completed games.

For the yokels whining about the 60 bucks for the early beta access... I donated 200 bucks to the Kickstarter. 150 for the special edition boxed game and the other 50 because I wanted to donate more. So 60 bucks is damned cheap compared to what a lot of us paid. When the game comes out you will probably wait til there is a 75% at Steam before buying it so you are still getting your whole package for cheap. So quit your damned weeping.

The area map loading screen.. I am not sure but I think it has crashed my game a few times. It got stuck on loading the area map and I had to force quit the beta (after waiting 3-5 minutes)

I am not fond of the right click move thing but I am slowly getting used to it. I would however like to see it change to left click move and right click camera control. That way I can get the precise angle I want.

Highpool is a lot easier than AG center. ... My Genned Character almost always died at the end of the big battle in the right hand hallway in AG Center while my whole team always survives Highpool no matter what I do.

UI... I think there should be several models of the UI that a player could choose... I like the one that is in the beta now but it is hard for me to read it at times espeically when I right click an item to bring up that small menu.

That is all I got for now

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Welp, just encountered the AG Center bug which crashes the game after you've completed the mission and try to leave the building. Think I'll put this one back on the shelf until there's a little more polish and a little more to do. Really impressed with that mission though, that was a nice long one. Felt like the day kind of got away from me by the time I was done. Though I'll have to agree with felipepepe about the replay value of an area like that (especially so early in the game). While (mostly) fun the first time, I don't think I really ever want to go through that shit again!

set

Cipher
I think the Ag Center is entirely too long and obnoxious. It doesn't help you can't progress after doing it, that's for sure.

The combat, in general, needs a tune-up. The Ag Center is so rife with combat and the enemies there are so armor-happy (and don't drop bullets) that you literally are forced to kill everything with your fists. It's not even that challenging, it's just tedious. I was never once in danger of losing but because 3 of my rangers were gun-oriented completing the 'dungeon' was extremely slow. I'm also afraid that because there is so much combat, my rangers are way overleveled now. Though, it's hard to say without being able to play any further.

They need to make the combat encounters harder, but less frequent. They should probably make that fungal infection thing actually matter, because it never advanced or inhibited the abilities of my rangers. They also should consider changing the reactivity there - if you have high luck or persusion, you can determine that doctor is evil and the cause of everything. Otherwise, one of the other survivors gets blamed at the end? But maybe this isn't possible at this point, because it would require a lot of stupid voice acted lines and won't fit the game's story I guess...

Also, the difficulty of this game is like night and day if you try playing with low awareness/coordination rangers. Those stats are much too powerful in comparison to all the rest right now, there is literally no reason to give up those stats in favor of luck, strength or charisma. Intelligence is worth investing in for raising non-combat skils and you do need a fair amount of strength so you've got a decent life count (but 3 is basically enough), but the stats are really skewed right now.

The most positive thing I can say is those exploding spore plant things encouraged careful movement and positioning in battle, though they were rather annoying and seemingly became irrelevent after a certain point in the story, they were exploding on their own from really far away for whatever reason after a while.

Really, the most annoying thing so far is my entire team has 1 Charisma and it doesn't seem to effect anything. This is not at all what I was expecting. Maybe not 'stupid dialogue', but so far I haven't told any important NPCs to go fuck themselves, or made the game any harder by being a jerk.

Last edited:

JParabellum

Novice
Welp, just encountered the AG Center bug which crashes the game after you've completed the mission and try to leave the building. Think I'll put this one back on the shelf until there's a little more polish and a little more to do. Really impressed with that mission though, that was a nice long one. Felt like the day kind of got away from me by the time I was done. Though I'll have to agree with felipepepe about the replay value of an area like that (especially so early in the game). While (mostly) fun the first time, I don't think I really ever want to go through that shit again!

That's one of the pitfalls to playing a Beta. However, I have beta tested games before and I always felt sense of pride once the finished product was released and I enjoyed playing throgh those Beta areas without any bugs or issues occurring. It also helps people understand the process that making a computer game nowadays take.

set

Cipher
My ranger team is SMG/Assault Rifle/Pistol/Fists. Since all three of those weapons are pretty worthless in Ag Center, I had to do 4x fists.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's also possible to get two pistols that use shotgun ammo and damage table.

You managed to make like the worst crew for the job.

JParabellum

Novice
My ranger team is SMG/Assault Rifle/Pistol/Fists. Since all three of those weapons are pretty worthless in Ag Center, I had to do 4x fists.

If you get that pistolized double barreled shotgun, it works well on the zombie like monsters. SMG people suck they go through ammo too fast and they have the highest percentage of friendly fire chance.

set

Cipher
Pretty much, I guess. But Highpool was a cakewalk with a similar team at the same point in the game. Secondarily, why waste ammo anyway? The enemies are so pathetic, in terms of offensive power, that there's no reason to waste bullets, honestly. I had a lot saved up at the end of Ag Center, which was great. Though, it was boring enough that I think it suggests that area needs a lot of changing. That's my point, not so much that I was forced to use fists... though I do think the armor class of all the enemis there are a little too high - I'm fine with some enemies having high armor, but if you have anyone using regular revolvers or assault rifles you will have to swap those out for melee weapons most likely when you get there. Which, well, it's fine for a little while, but I don't think the whole area (which is rather huge) should be like that.

If Shotguns/SniperRifles and the like don't experience similar problems down the road in other scenarios, all Ag Center does is make pistols/assault rifles very unattractive for future playthroughs.

hiver

I tried it. just a bit at the very start, havent even fixed the tower yet, just dicking around.
In short i can say i kinda like the overall "feel" of the game.

But there is a holy crap tonne of stuff to work on, even if you dont think about all the things where the design is faulty itself and would need to be changed on a more serious level.
Dont have time to write now so ill go into some specifics later. (pretty much the same as everyone mentioned so far)

Its nice hearing how they are "taking it all into account" and are "working on it" but, seeing how most of these problems came to be because they didnt listen and did not communicate about their game except very superficially - through retarded game media - im not really sure it will come to much of anything, really.
Maybe, if enough people keep saying the same things, it may climb up into the actual heads that are doing this but i wouldnt hold my breath too much about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom