Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Noticing a few Codexers helping out with the translation efforts. Thanks guys, keep up the good work. :)

Repressed Homosexual
I joined as well for the FR version to help a bit in case I get bored and I have a bit of time. Let's say it was surreal to see an e-mail from Cosmic Misogynerd in my inbox pop out of the blue.

The conflict is similar to Spanish, in that there is Canadian vs France French. However I decided to just go with France French as it's what people are using and there will probably be 10 times as many French players as Canadian French ones. I think the differences are less than Spanish though. Mostly I must use a few colloquialisms and swear words that sound a bit ridiculous to me... and most of all remember to put a space before all exclamation points and question marks, as Canadian French is like English in that it doesn't insert one, while French in France does. Other than that I'll try to remain a bit neutral.

I think it's also a bit tricky since a lot of characters seem to have southern American accents or something and it's hard to have the same level of slang that feels as natural in another language.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems like they went ahead and did another 50 revisions, Brother None who is this mysterious UI designer who I imagine is locked in Fargo's closet.

BnOxdoUCEAAhsLN.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/rangerkeenan/status/464910309790994432

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Translating the game from the superior American English is just another way that the liberals are denying American exceptionalism.

Repressed Homosexual
I'm also not quite sure which names they will keep in English and which ones in French, I don't know which way the consensus will lean but for now I'd say it would depend on the context. Generally I prefer to keep original names.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm also not quite sure which names they will keep in English and which ones in French, I don't know which way the consensus will lean but for now I'd say it would depend on the context. Generally I prefer to keep original names.
We're still figuring out exact guidelines for this sort of thing, so do not take this as 100% official, but for now rules of thumb are:
  • Consistency is probably the number one goal. If language is inconsistent then players won't know what is going on no matter how good the translation is otherwise.
  • Character names that aren't nicknames/slang/etc. should be kept as-is and not changed.
  • Organization and location names should probably be translated very literally unless it doesn't work well (i.e. "Servants of the Mushroom Cloud" might not translate as well as something else that's *very nearly* the same thing that conveys the same meaning).
  • Some things have multiple names, i.e. "Servants of the Mushroom Cloud" and "Mad Monks" are two different names for the same group. Be aware of this when translating and do not be afraid to refer to the game for your own reference if possible.
  • For ranks (like what the Rangers use) and titles, real-world equivalent accuracy is less important than consistency.
  • Keep language general and non-regional where possible, but if there is slang or phrases that work across a language regardless of the region, that's not a problem. This isn't just translation, it's localization, after all, so adding some personality is good.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
We're still figuring out exact guidelines for this sort of thing, so do not take this as 100% official, but for now rules of thumb are:
  • Consistency is probably the number one goal. If language is inconsistent then players won't know what is going on no matter how good the translation is otherwise.
  • Character names that aren't nicknames/slang/etc. should be kept as-is and not changed.
  • Organization and location names should probably be translated very literally unless it doesn't work well (i.e. "Servants of the Mushroom Cloud" might not translate as well as something else that's *very nearly* the same thing that conveys the same meaning).
  • Some things have multiple names, i.e. "Servants of the Mushroom Cloud" and "Mad Monks" are two different names for the same group. Be aware of this when translating and do not be afraid to refer to the game for your own reference if possible.
  • For ranks (like what the Rangers use) and titles, real-world equivalent accuracy is less important than consistency.
  • Keep language general and non-regional where possible, but if there is slang or phrases that work across a language regardless of the region, that's not a problem. This isn't just translation, it's localization, after all, so adding some personality is good.

No translation into Portuguese... :decline:

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Thanks for this! It's pretty much how I've been approaching it. Cosmic Misogynerd take a look.

Ninjerk

Arcane

No translation into Portuguese... :decline:
Pick a good imperial language peasant

Longevai reminds me of Strider. Fargo as Aragorn?

Blizzard's plain descriptive names would be hilarious in Portuguese.

Garrosh Grito-do-Inferno, filho de Grommash Grito-do-Inferno, aprendeu sobre o heroísmo de seu pai quando Servo encountrou o jovem orc no Estrangeiro. As sementes do orgulho foram plantadas. Garrosh liderou vitórias da Horda no Rasgo Norte e, como Comandante de Guerra, consolidou o poder da Horda ao meio do caos do Cataclisma. Mas suas visões de supremacia orc por quaisquer meios trouxeram os exércitos do mundo para cima de Orgrimmar...um último acerto de contas que o próprio Garrosh espera com brutal apreciação.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh dear.... :lol:

(Which one of you is it?)

:troll:

Meanwhile, the character creation thread has some mockups that look quite a bit better than what's in the game:

iXz5Qpz.jpg

WMZzwo3.jpg

cfo3vdP.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom