Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Void from Ice-Pick Lodge

opium fiend

Augur
As far as I know there is a patch already available that replaces the russian subtitles with english, but it is hard to get since they want people to buy the english version when it comes out. At least, so they say on the official forums.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Balor, do you have the game? What are your impressions?

I hope they're going to release an English demo.

Phelot

Arcane
Does anyone happen to know when this game is coming out in English? I uh... found a Polish version on the internet that supposedly has an english patch, but I could never even get the game to run. The nfo said it required a patch that I could never find for the Polish version.

I can't find any info on this game and the main site has news from 2007...

Balor

Arcane
Last I heard, develpers decided to go Blizzard towards translation - meaning they want it to be perfect, and will not release English version unless satisfied.
Given how Pathologic got dissed for it's translation, I can understand them.

Phelot

Arcane
Balor said:
Last I heard, develpers decided to go Blizzard towards translation - meaning they want it to be perfect, and will not release English version unless satisfied.

Hmm... hopefully they don't wait too long. I had trouble understanding Pathologic, but I understood enough to enjoy it. What a weird (in a good way) game.

feighnt

Scholar
hmm... this could be nothing, but...

ice-pick lodge, who made the game, has an english section of their forums. in a thread where some of us were talking about Zeno Clash, a fellow nicked "The LxR," who, i am *pretty* sure is working on the english translation, said "oh god, why did they have to release this when we're finishing the game?!"

which inclines me to think the wait might not be much longer. hopefully :P

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Tentative Release Date: May 28

A while back Rock, Paper, Shotgun did a few articles on the game "Pathologic", which was a very strange first person adventure/survival/
RPG/horror game from a small Russian developer. It was a very flawed gem, suffering from a horrible translation and some other issues. But the game did some things very, very well.

RPS did a little write-up of the Russian version of their next game, which you can find here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009...asures-typrop/

And they're doing an interview with the developers next week.

The new game seems to be a first person adventure/survival/RPG/horror/whatever set in the afterlife, where the player has to collect/grow colour (the main resource of the world) to sustain his life and be able to survive the dangers of the world. To use the colour, the game has a gesture/painting system kind of like Black & White.

The game will reportedly be called "The Void" when Atari brings it over this year.

The art direction is a-fucking-mazing, and the game looks atmospheric as hell. Here is a trailer, then some gameplay stuff as well (keep in mind most of the videos are probably NSFW, as some contain nudity):

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-FvuzPrgk

intro and tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m402AQQ8Dfw

gameplay videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ccHDquBFVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qKHsQ6Gcvg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6gu1Vg71kM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJS6IwpGlt

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... hp?t=50263

I see this is already available in Russia and Germany. Anyone who can tell us a little about the game yet? I am just listening to the music and quite impressed so far.

Tension

Tension – a survival adventure game, in which you have to stay alive in the hostile world of Void and to get out from it as quick as possible. The choice is either to support life in its horrifying Hunters or its mournful girls or strip them of it. The way you pass through The Void is the way it changes. The way it reflects upon you.

The surrealistic world of Tension is based on a single resource that grants the ability to live and act – Lympha. Each color of Lympha possesses its own character and unique properties – both useful and dangerous. Only Lympha gives life, but it can take it back as well. Hunters’ blood, captured creature, gracious girls, tree brought to life, just everything is the source of Lympha. Any action you take: battling an enemy, talking to a Sister, hunting, searching, traveling – the price in exchange is Lympha.

The dynamic, interactive environment and the severe resource shortage constantly put the player into unexpected circumstances. Although the player is free to use any colors any time he should mind his global strategy, since the finale will turn out the way the world is painted. The gameplay in Tension is non-linear the ending (one of the 11) depends on the color and the amount of Lympha used.

Burning Bridges

I was actually thinking about getting high before I play this. From the videos, it has a certain 90's vibe, techno and all.

Burning Bridges

... and then going to jerk off.

game_20090204_09390560.jpg

game_20090204_09512665.jpg

Raapys

Arcane
I downloaded the Polish or russian version or something, then used a patch to get the subtitles and menus in english, works decently enough.

The game itself is rather unique. You basically travel through hubs, find loose color, infuse trees with color to grow more, or even mine it, and then use the color to fight 'brothers' or area-bosses or talk with 'sisters'( basically the hub-keepers, you have to donate color to be allowed passage ). The whole interaction system, be it fighting, talking, gardening, etc., is basically a spell-system something ala Arx Fatalis, where you paint runes in the air for the desired spell effect. You get more spells as you progress, also called 'hearts', and the more you have the more color you can keep on you, making you more powerful.

Somewhat steep learning curve, but you'll quickly get into it. It does get a bit tiresome to keep your color amount at an acceptable level all the time, but it's nothing game-breaking.

The music, atmosphere, world design and such is all top-notch too; the game world is just as messed up as the one in the previous game they made. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for something different from basically all other games.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I've just started playing this. This time the translation is perfectly comprehensible, not babelfished pseudo-poetry ala Pathologic. The visuals are excellent, though the gesture system for glyphs is annoying in that it often doesn't recognize what you draw (even if you draw it, more or less, as the game shows you to: apparently you need to make sure it's big enough to cover the entire screen and that the tails are long enough, etc etc).

Loving the way the color-plants whisper to me so far.

Black Cat

Magister
It's out in english already, under the name of The Void. It is not, like, exactly the same game that Turgor was, though. They first made Turgor, then while they were preparing the international thingie some producer or another threw cash at them to polish it a bit more. Then they released this as The Void. The fans and stuff say The Void is a better game than the original Turgor, but that Turgor was a better experience and stuff.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
How much better are we talking here? Like, severely dumbed down or just a couple of dialogue lines changed here and there?

Black Cat

Magister
In the original Turgor the tree thingies you could only harvest once and then they were gone. In The Void you can harvest them several times as long as you wait enought time between one harvesting and the next. They made changes to the story and stuff that most people seem to believe make it better. They gave it a lot more focus and structure and most people seem to think it made The Void a better game by sacrificing some of the design thingies that made it an awkward game but a very immersive experience. They changed or polished a lot of the mechanics, etc. Also, since the game now has a lot more structure, when the plot and stuff and thingies begins to take off it is much more epic and wow and all that.

Both versions, though, are clearly russian, so the game is sexist to the max and, at times, also pretty retarded and vulgar and banal. The rest of the time it is pretty amazing and unique and very dreamlike, and the, like, bosses are some of the most amazing and weird things i have seen in a long, long, long time.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Good enough for me!

Last time I tried playing one of their games, I ended up getting the Russian version of Pathologic rather than the English one by mistake. At least this time, I know for sure that The Void is in English.

spacemoose

Erudite
Black Cat said:
Both versions, though, are clearly russian, so the game is sexist to the max and, at times, also pretty retarded and vulgar and banal.
you say this like its a bad thing

AZ

Liturgist
I have it,
and like it :)

pretty weird and unique game, one of the best games of the last years

iqzulk

Augur
:necro:

Seeing that this thread had mainly been concerned with the original version of Turgor/Tension/The_Void, I gathered it to be a more appropriate place for the information below, than "The Random Adventure Game News Thread" in which that information had originally been posted in. Some of the information repeats a lot of the points already stated in this thread, and some of it is entirely new (in the context of this thread's discussion). I hope that all the new bits will be of at least some use to the visitors of this sub-forum and to the admirers of the Ice-Pick_Lodge's games.

I will start with the general information. Both because it repeats some of the points from this thread's discussion and because it was exactly that way in the original thread, I will use spoiler tags for the whole tl;dr. So, here goes:

Many of you, I gather, are aware of a Russian videogame developing company, named Ice-Pick Lodge. They made Pathologic, The Void, Cargo, Knock-Knock - and are now kickstarting Pathologic remake (which they hope to finish by November 2016). Some of you may also remember that the game called The Void also has a couple of variations to its name. What I mean, is that in different places it gets called Turgor, Tension or, well, The Void.

Now this is where it gets tricky. In fact, there are not three titles, but four (2*2): Тургор (Turgor), Тургор: Голос Цвета (Turgor: The Voice of Colour), Tension and The Void. There is a reason for that discrepancy in naming. The reason is that:

1) In Russian-speaking countries, the game was called differently than in Western ones.

2) There are two very different versions of the game itself.​

Actually, about the titles of the game. Of these four:

1) Тургор (Turgor) and Tension correspond to the initial version of the game. Тургор (Turgor) is the title by which the game was known in Russian-speaking countries - and Tension is the title for the sort of "international release" that game saw (it only was published in Poland by Techland and, if mobygames is to be believed, was also published in Brazil - it was also translated to English in-house, although that translation was never officially released). This initial version was released on April 17, 2008, and was developed using the funding from a Russian publishing/distributing house, called "Noviy Disk" ("New Disc/CD").

2) Тургор: Голос Цвета (Turgor: The Voice of Colour) and The Void correspond to the heavily reworked/remixed version of the game. Again, Тургор: Голос Цвета (Turgor: The Voice of Colour) is the name, by which the game was known in Russian-speaking countries - and The Void is the title of the international release (now proper). Actually, the international release was the whole point for this version, as it was developed for Atari and using the funding from Atari, and this version is exactly why the first version of the game, Tension, has never seen its proper worldwide release. This version was released on May 28, 2009 (more than a year after the first version of the game!) in Russian-speaking countries, and in October, 2009 - internationally.​

From what I know (I've only played the original version of the game, Tension) - these versions of the game differ heavily. The engine got reworked, the gameplay got heavily reworked, the storyline was completely torn down, and a different, much less ambiguous and much more scripted and directed storyline, was made instead. The differences were apparently so fundamental that:

1) They facilitated the second release of the game in Russia, as a new standalone title only a year after the release of the original one (which in itself created a sort of violent backlash from the audience towards IPL), as it was impossible to make a patch from Tension to The Void, and keep it under 2Gb (compared to the 4Gb data of the games themselves). The saves, naturally, were incompatible as well.

2) Almost nobody in the Russian fan community of the game considers "The Void" a purely incremental or even clearly superior (or inferior at that) version of the game. Overall, it is widely considered, that the original version of the game is more artistic, atmospheric and :obviously:, while The Void constitutes a better game. Moreover, it is still customary for Russian-speaking fans of the game to direct newbs towards playing Tension first, since it is widely considered that IPL games were always kinda of 'eh' gameplay-wise (although not in the "interactive movie" or even "walking simulator" sorts of ways, since for their games interactivity and gameplay mechanics, however shit one might consider them, are absolutely crucial), so if you want to play one, you probably want to do that because of artistry and Teh Experience. Even Nikolay Dybowski (the guy who "invented" and wrote both Tension and The Void) got conflicting statements. As in first claiming that The Void was not expanded, but actually reduced version of the game content/script-wise, and that he wasn't happy with it at all (in contrast to the programming guys from IPL, who almost unanimously considered The Void a "Developer's Cut" version of the game, and were happy with it much more with the original one), and that he only did it because it was necessary for his company. On the other hand, while answering a question recently, as to why The Void has such a different and much more explicit storyline, he told that the themes from the original game continued to develop in his head even after the release of the the original game, and what we see in The Void is the result of that. Of course he also stated, that Turgor (he actually meant both version viewed together) is a bonkers and WTF game, about which nobody in the studio (including him) still fully understands just what exactly the fuck it even is. As well as that he considers both versions his personal creative failure, as the game was supposed to be purely non-verbal (as a gameplay-centered interactive painting) - and that the Sisters shouldn't have been allowed to talk at all - but they just didn't manage to pull it off, at all (and no, he says that Turgor remake - as in Pathologic Remake - is out of the question, since he is sooo done with Turgor, and since two versions of the game are more than enough already).​

Anyways, the point is, if you've played The Void only (which you probably did, considering where I'm writing this), you've only played a redacted and gamified version of Turgor (as a concept with two different implementations, that is, Tension and The Void), which has a sizeable controversy concerning it in Russian-speaking countries. The original version, Tension, is very different, and is arguably closer to what Turgor (as, again, a concept) was originally meant to be.
Thus, we get to the main point of this message. Which is that the English subtitle/interface translation patch for the original version of the game, that has already been mentioned in this thread, is freely available for download in THIS THREAD ( DIRECT LINK | MIRROR LINK ) - and yes, naturally, it will allow you to play the original version of the game even if you don't happen to know either Russian or Polish.

Two things should be noted about the whole affair:

Note1: This patch is based upon the in-house translation of the game made by IPL itself, namely, by Alexey Luchin (The LxR). Proof.

Note2: You still need to have the original version of the game in order to patch it and play it. The Void simply won't do. And no, sorry, but (after I was reminded of the rules which you are supposed to stick to onto these forums) it is of no concern of mine just how you would manage to get your hands on the original version of the game. Although any information about the ways using which you could legally acquire the original 2008 version of the game (in any possible form - disc or digital, Russian or Polish) nowadays, would be appreciated (I also want to remind you that discussing or providing the information about the illegal ways of acquiring the game - as I did earlier - is forbidden on these forums altogether. If you happen to know such an information, good for you, but do not post it here).​

Now, to the point of what exactly you should do with this information. Here is a sort of mini-guide concerning various patches a fixes to the original version of the game and the order of their application.

1. Install the game. IF you happen to be in the possession of a modern GPU with the in-built PhysX acceleration, and IF the installation lets you skip installing Ageia PhysX drivers, skip it. IF you are, again, in the possession of a modern GPU with the in-built PhysX acceleration, and IF the installer forces you to install Ageia PhysX driver, you will need to uninstall it later manually, and to install PhysX Legacy driver instead.

2. Patch the game. If you are in the possession of the original Russian DVD version of Тургор/Turgor/Tension, use this 1.01 patch from Tension/The_Void homepage. If you are in the possession of the Russian digital download version of Тургор/Turgor/Tension, use this version of 1.01 patch from NoviyDisk's homepage. If you are in the possession of the Polish version of Tension, published by Techland, then there are no patches for it that I'm aware of. The only thing I can say, is that if you are lucky, it is already patched.
After this step, all the following ones can be applied in any order.

3. There is a hotfix, created by one of the developers of the game, Alexey Luchin(The LxR), which needs to be applied to the already patched version of the game, and which irons out a minor but fairly annoying bug in it. Here is the LINK to the original forum thread about it (in Russian), and here is the DIRECT LINK to the hotfix itself. The contents need to be extracted into the \data\ sub-folder of where you have installed the game, so that the file tree_sister.bin would appear in \data\scripts\.

3a. There is also another unofficial mod, created by the same person (Alexey Luchin= The LxR), that serves as a nude patch for the game, eliminating all the "butterflies" around all the strategic parts. It is known to introduce graphical glitches to the game. I list it here for the completeness' sake only. Here is the LINK to the original thread (again, in Russian), and, since the all the direct links in it are down, here is the MIRROR LINK to the fix itself. Again, it needs to be extracted into the \data\ sub-folder of where you have installed the game, so that the file girl.xml would appear in \data\Properties\World\.

4. Apply the English subtitle patch (created, again, by Alexey Luchin = The LxR). Here is, again, the LINK to one of the IPL forum threads about it, and here are the DIRECT LINK and MIRROR LINK to the patch itself. Once again, it needs to be extracted into the \data\ sub-folder of where you have installed the game, so that all the necessary files would appear in \data\Properties\Strings\lang_russian\.​

That would be all.

There is however a little something extra I want to share with you. Some editions of Russian DVD versions of both Turgor/Tension and Turgor:The_Voice_of_Colour/The_Void were bundled with the bonus discs containing music, art, interviews, etc. I do not know, whether the contents of Tension and The Void bonus discs happen to differ (other than in terms of music, since The Void bonus disc contains some remastered musical tracks that were made specifically for The Void) - but what I DO know is that IPL were kind enough to just share the contents of The Void bonus disc with Teh Internetz. Here is the LINK to page from the original Tension/The_Void homepage with the announcement (second newspiece from above), and here is the DIRECT LINK to the torrent file, hosted on the said official homepage. Extra bonus - the English subtitles (created by Halfgild Wynac) which you can use with some of the videos from said bonus disc: LINK to the IPL forum thread with the links and discussion concerning said subtitles.

Last edited:

Lucky

Arcane
Second game of Ice-Pick Lodge, makers of Pathologic. Likewise, it's an atypical game about learning how to survive in a foreign world, with rules that you don't understand but which are important to its inhabitants. The execution, however, is very different, with a much greater focus on the process of surviving in the unfamiliar world presented to you. Figuring out how to do so well is a major part of the game, as you start knowing very little and with characters having their own agendas in regards to what they do and do not tell you. The impressive part here is how the game takes the idea of getting better at a game and weaves it into the narrative. It's not really possible to illustrate this without spoiling the effect, but the best way to put it would be to say that The Void is harsh but fair. It sets rules that it doesn't tell you about, but it sticks to them and it won't gimp you out of a victory if you restart and apply the lessons you learned later in the game. Say, for example, that you fail a quest and get challenged to a fight. This fight would be essentially unwinnable as a new player, but possible if you're prepared and know what you're doing. Rather than making it impossible to win or giving you an automatic game over, you can instead win the fight and continue the game. This keeps the game from feeling unfair and at the same time nicely showcases why people aren't telling you everything that you want to know without being overly explicit about it.

One other thing the game does well is that it is very tense without being stressful. Much of the game is about carefully juggling the resources available to you, which are essentially both your health and your mana, as the passage of time causes one to transition to another. Time in The Void doesn't move at set pace though - you can increase it to go by lightning fast or slow it down to a crawl, so you can take your time to think over what to do or speed up to see the results of your decision, but either way the transition is constant and irreversible. The result is a constant sense of tension where you're never in the clear and always having to plan your next move. In addition to this, the art direction is fantastic (with lots of tasteful nudity, so keep that in mind if you're going to play this in a crowded room), as is the sound design. The whole of it is probably not enjoyable for everyone, especially if you don't like how important keeping an eye on your resources is, but what you get is so genuinely different from other games that it is at least worth it give it a try.

Some right issues means that you can't currently buy it on Steam, but it's still available on GoG and Gamergate.

Also, for those that need it, here's the link to Medium and Easy difficulty patches. The game is all about figuring out the rules of the void and stumbling around while learning to survive, though, so I'd recommend not using these if at all possible.

Ice-Pick Lodge has also made a bonus disc freely available, containing the soundtrack, artwork, and more.

Here's also a few mildly spoilerish tips if you're having trouble:
- Don't fight the predators unless forced to. You're faster, so avoid them whenever possible.
- Several of the sisters have a heart hidden in their chamber.
- You don't need to use colour to move in the void. If you have an empty receptacle of nerva then you can use that to draw your path, the downside being that you'll move slower.
- Your hearts all process lympha at the same time, rather than one by one, so it is usually better to keep only one filled with colour when traveling through the void, so that you use up less lympha.

EDIT:

Available again on Steam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game has three titles, the name depends where it was released.

WyCufbU.jpg
dBRZTcM.jpg
5oFISZj.jpg

Here's Polish edition:
967B18A460D241E40B4F5BD0A7DC7931EF9E73B9

Bonus DVD official torrent includes artworks, soundtrack, promotional videos etc:
http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8918

If the game is too difficult, then here are additional easy modes:
http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9270

Turns out they did not. The differences between different language versions are not limited to just the language used. English version seems to have much shorter and "down to the point" dialogues, whereas Polish version is written in a more beautiful language. Here's a screenshot of the same thing in Polish and English version (you don't have to know both languages to notice something glaring):
Tension, the Polish edition:

91E68251054EAE826F042D219173B52648D5A872

The Void, the English edition:

947739C58C5671B09F129EC091368508F61C3BBD

It's not a rare thing. Actually, all "lines" are much shorter in English!

The colors used in some parts of the game are different too. Here's Uta's grotto:
Polish:
2AF3BCCAC48FDEAAAFBBA94F2CF12D153A2A2550

English:

7CD1DB9F0915338568544EBD57A1D9652D0B7866

I just begun playing Polish version today, and I have completed English one two months ago. Therefore I probably haven't seen most of the differences between them, but they are apparent right from the start. It's clear the English version is rather half-arsed quickjob than the Polish one. Perhaps The Void is a reworked game, but it seems to be reworked in a bad way. If anybody has played the game in Russian or German it'd be nice if you left the comment!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Here's a screenshot of the same thing in Polish and English version

:what:

Also, cool kanapa, bro

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom