Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

kingcomrade33

Novice
I can't get access to my old account because I don't know Dragon Age lore, what the fuck has the Codex come to?

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/27/valve-economist-sees-the-future-discusses-ar-tech-hardware/

Valve hardware chatter continues, following economist Yanis Varoufakis’s spell as the studio’s ‘Economist-In-Residence’. Varoufakis has blogged about his time with the studio, has discussed Valve’s dabbling in hardware, and claims to have seen ‘the future’ while there. Get his thoughts below.
“I’ve signed an NDA so I can’t reveal much more. I’ll just say that I really saw the future. (it’s not a small deal to see a virtual but highly realistic alien stand beside a real human in the same room with you, walk around the room and wink at you. And all that without a screen, a projector or even a computer near you…)”
HE HAS SEEN THE FUTURE

Multi-headed Cow

But I already posted about this on Monday! In this very thread! 9 posts above you!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Domain name: hl2ep3.com

Administrative Contact:
Uber Global Pty Ltd
Domain Hostmaster (domains@uber.com.au)
+61.261639350
Fax: +61.261632000
GPO Box 1515
Canberra, ACT 2601
AU

Technical Contact:
Uber Global Pty Ltd
Domain Hostmaster (domains@uber.com.au)
+61.261639350
Fax: +61.261632000
GPO Box 1515
Canberra, ACT 2601
AU

Registrant Contact:
Uber Global Pty Ltd
Domain Hostmaster ()

Fax:
GPO Box 1515
Canberra, ACT 2601
AU

Name Servers:
ns69.hosting24.com
ns70.hosting24.com

Creation date: 05 Nov 2009 03:18:00
Expiration date: 05 Nov 2013 03:18:00

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
And hats.
Deluxe Edition 69.99€. Receive 2 new hats to Team Fortress 2 and a RARE ITEM for a random hero in Dota 2!
Upgrade it to Ultimate Edition for only 11.99€ and receive free 1-day Plasma Crowbar DLC for use in the very beginning of the game. Show your enemies that you rock!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Allow me to wear the plasma crowbar as a hat and you've got a sale, good sir :obviously:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Eh, Chell was hotter.

Obligatory :meltdown:
tumblr_mbliw6p5D71qk9ebbo1_1280.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Great, turning PCs into just another console -- quite the legacy there.

Multi-headed Cow

Apologies for the Kotaku link but apparently the glorious god Gaben is indeed interested in selling Steam boxes.
http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newell-living-room-pcs-will-compete-with-next+gen-consoles
For the anti-Valve out there this quote should light your torches.
"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said.
And everyone else will notice how immediately after that he says if you want more flexibility you could just use a normal PC. "Steam console" will apparently just be Linux running Steam big picture mode and presumably some multimedia crap too. To be honest I'm not entirely sure it'll be worth it for anyone since it would theoretically rely on people releasing Linux versions of their games on Steam. So you'd end up with a fair chunk of indie games and basically no "Major" titles unless Gaben's pixies come up with some Steam Wine magic or something.

I dunno Gaben, I dunno. Not like I'm particularly interested in it anyway, I've even got a PC I do all my TV shit on anyway. Just doesn't have enough grunt for anything beyond moderate gaming, so I can do shit like play the Walking Dead on the TV with a controller if I want. Since there isn't a hell of a lot I prefer playing with a controller I just leave it hooked up to my primary PC 90% of the time and then move it over if there's something I wanna TV play for whatever reason. Probably my most played TV game is just going slackjawed with Bejeweled 3 using a wireless mouse.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If he required publishers to release a Linux version for inclusion on Steam I'd say it would strongarm at least 75% of them to do it.

Commander Xbox

Learned
if they made the steam box easily customisable it could be really cool. like make taking out and swapping graphics cards ect idiot proof. make it as easy as flipping a latch or two then doing it with a set of instructions you get with your vavle released steambox card. that way the thing really is just a mini stripped down pc that sits hooked up to the tv

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
if they made the steam box easily customisable it could be really cool. like make taking out and swapping graphics cards ect idiot proof. make it as easy as flipping a latch or two then doing it with a set of instructions you get with your vavle released steambox card. that way the thing really is just a mini stripped down pc that sits hooked up to the tv

...Have you ever swapped out a graphics card?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom