Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Unspoken Reality of VR

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Or better yet, go out with some bros to a field, and play ball. That's a real physical activity and you don't need to buy some faggy technobabble BS to pretend you're having fun.
I have good memories of taking turns playing I Expect You To Die with my friends.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried "VR tourism", and it kind of worked. It was a weird to not see your real surrounding at all, and lag in displaying other people position resulted in unfortunate bumps, but visiting prehistoric times and ancient egypt in VR was quite cool actually. I heard they also made some good use of enhanced reality in some Greek archeological sites, as many just have rubbles left.

951474-mondes-disparus-approchez-les-dinosaures-en-realite-virtuelle-au-jardin-des-plantes-notre-test.jpg

experience-immersive-kheops-bordeaux-960x640.jpg

a974b4c8-1d8d-5e2b-c625-69e16c1c85ce

But that was also the limits of the technology: removing motion sickness requires having a huge place to move to, and it forced the visit to be pretty linear (as the facility was the size of a football field for a 1h visit).
The NPC were still a bit prosperous, but neither my kids nor my wife had any motion sickness (while they are usually very prone to it).

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
But that was also the limits of the technology: removing motion sickness requires having a huge place to move to, and it forced the visit to be pretty linear (as the facility was the size of a football field for a 1h visit).

Interesting. I'd seen that some companies have been working on a type of floor made of balls that rotate against your movement, so you can walk but remain in place, for use with VR. I'm not sure if anything like that will ever end up mainstream, but it was interesting and could be something that a "VR Centre" would use if they get the tech where they want it to be.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I bought a Quest 2 this christmas. Played HL Alyx on it.

Instantenously thought "This is the future. I will never, ever, play a game without this."

3 hours into HL Alyx, I haven't touched it again.

Poseidon00

Arcane
So much effort went into developing a half-dozen competing headsets, but nobody made any games. Why does every gaming company need their own individual headset if they aren't making any games?

It's actually crazy that all the best VR games are from no-name indie developers. I guess oculus put out a good free sports game, zero gravity basketball was rather fun.

And I think it is going to end up staying that way for the forseeable future, funnily enough. The potential for great content is there right now, but only the indie chads seem capable of harvesting it.

So I guess we should thank the investors and the billions of dollars they spent on this technology, it's been a great success for the little guy at their own expense.

Fargus

Arcane
Why does every gaming company need their own individual headset if they aren't making any games?

Because it's a clown world. I would buy the most affordable one with the largest amount of compatible games and least amount of issues. And so i did.

I bought a Quest 2 this christmas. Played HL Alyx on it.

Instantenously thought "This is the future. I will never, ever, play a game without this."

3 hours into HL Alyx, I haven't touched it again.

Do yourself a favor and play HL2 VR mod instead.

ind33d

Educated
the only thing VR will be used as is a Mind Flayer from the Mandalorian when someone has had a little too much to think

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom