Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Thaumaturge - supernatural RPG set in early 20th century Warsaw from Seven: The Days Long Gone devs

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It accomplished two things.

1. Bg3 is not GOTY
2. Shitposters like you that want us to accept shit stopped posting here and some others didn't come back but stayed on reddit or resetera.

For example check out how Rogue Trader topic looks here and how it looks on reddit. If we stopped complaining and "accepted it" like you said, we would just be full of same human garbage that fill 75% of RT reddit topics with romance shit..
Going just by a real average and counting games with 15+ votes, remake of Star Ocean 2 would be GOTY. But frankly BG3 wasn't his first game, and if he wanted to do sequel he should make sequel not a some weird game where he added few old characters and claimed it's more than a fanboy made game. And the problem is some BG2 fanboys would do better story.

Rogue Trader killed its chance by bugs, bad design decisions, and not going for properly GRITTY WH40K story.

scytheavatar

Scholar
I don't understand why people are defending The Thaumaturge............ bah bah bah stop whining about SJWs. Guess what, this game sucks even if you are a big SJW. There's a lot to praise about the game's art design and atmosphere, but fundamentally the writing is garbage, the combat is weak and the game is more of a point and click adventure than an RPG. And not a very good point and click adventure either. So while it is praiseworthy for the potential that this game had, it would be difficult to justify recommending it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yep. I had the game in my wishlist, watched some gameplays and removed from it. Fell more like a point & click game than a proper RPG...

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I'm also fine with the Witcher-sense exploration, because after work I suffer from mushy brain and don't like to do things that are too mentally taxing.

Taking these things into consideration, would this game be for me?
If you want something easy to play to unwind this game might be a good one for you. The combat is easy and the detective stuff doesn't actually require any deduction, just clue collection, and while that was a little disappointing for me it might suit you if you just want to chill.
Are there any positive elements?
The design of the Polishmon Salutors is great, the atmosphere is good and the main character is likeable.
Is the story good?
It's decent enough that I'm still playing about 15 hours in despite being underwhelmed by the mechanics.
Can I bang a Slavic tart?
There's a surprising lack of tart banging given the number of prostitutes you talk to.

Overall I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a proper RPG but if you'd be happy with something that's mostly a point and click adventure with some very straightforward turn based combat in place of the usual puzzle fare it would probably serve your purposes.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played it for a few hours today but I'm not impressed. The game is very mediocre.

I like the setting, it's unusual, a mix of dark fantasy with early XX c. I like the visuals, graphics are beautiful but cold and grim. I don't mind the combat system, in fact I thought I will hate it at first, but overall it seems alright and not as simple as it appears at first. Fighting isn't good, but it is acceptable, and the combat can be quite challenging, though I did choose the 'challenging' difficulty, not a 'normal' one.

However, despite the above, I'm completely disinterested in the story, dialogues and gameplay itself. As I said, combat is just acceptable, while the story along with dialogues and quests are rather bland. I thought it would be the strongest point of the game due to setting, but creators don't seem to do anything much with it, there's not much politics and contemporary stuff, and more dark fantasy that is like every other dark fantasy. "Detective stuff" (or rather "fantasy mind-reading") is on auto-mode, you don't come to conclusions, instead the character always tells you everything and you're just clicking RMB to find clues and then LMB to activate them... it's repetitive and boring, and you do it every single quest. I don't think choices matter much either, though I can't be sure but quests always seem to be railroaded towards their only proper solutions.

I don't think I have a will to continue, to be honest. Thaumaturge is a disappointment for me. I expected Disco Elysium in Warszawa and political ideas and frictions between Poles, Russians, Jews etc., but got a visual novel about demons with fist fights and RMB LMB spam.

Meh.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
I guess people who would be brave enough to say something meaningful about the socio-political landscape of turn-of-the-century Warsaw wouldn't bother with trigger warnings.

:philosoraptor:

Huh, maybe those trigger warnings do have a purpose.

Modron

Arcane
There's a lot to praise about the game's art design and atmosphere, but fundamentally the writing is garbage, the combat is weak and the game is more of a point and click adventure than an RPG. And not a very good point and click adventure either.
So Disco Elysium with combat?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Videogames made in Poland look generic. Whether we are talking fantasy (Witcher, Thaumatrge) or SF (Cyberpunk, Gamedec, Dying Light). It's all done in the same unremarkable visual style.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Playing it, fun so far.

Also for those who are wondering, timed side quests expiration is linked to main quest progress, NOT number of days spent.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Videogames made in Poland look generic. Whether we are talking fantasy (Witcher, Thaumatrge) or SF (Cyberpunk, Gamedec, Dying Light). It's all done in the same unremarkable visual style.
Nobody with functional eyes would struggle to distinguish any of these games if you put screenshots side to side.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What are the examples of non-generic looking fantasy and SF RPGs made in your country?

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I tried it briefly and by the gods the combat is awful. And I use the word combat rather loosely because all the characters just stand there like bowling pins and throw abilities at each other. No distance, no movement, no positioning, no facing, no cover... none of the things many codexers like.

Itoh

Literate
Hmm, doesn't look like something I'd want to play. Having shitty combat is probably worse than having no combat in a narrative-driven game like this.

Though the thought occurs to me - demon binding sounds like the perfect setup for a Disco Elysium clone. Imagine if instead of personality fragments, each of the voices in your head was a separate demon that you captured or bargain with. They'd all have their own insights into social situations and while they wouldn't lie, they might lead you astray through their own biases and agendas. The level up mechanic would involve strengthening your pacts with the various spirits you could bind and gaining new options and information. That would be a nice take on both the visual novel and monster training genres - has anyone done something like this yet?

Zariusz

Arbiter
Hmm, doesn't look like something I'd want to play. Having shitty combat is probably worse than having no combat in a narrative-driven game like this.

Though the thought occurs to me - demon binding sounds like the perfect setup for a Disco Elysium clone. Imagine if instead of personality fragments, each of the voices in your head was a separate demon that you captured or bargain with. They'd all have their own insights into social situations and while they wouldn't lie, they might lead you astray through their own biases and agendas. The level up mechanic would involve strengthening your pacts with the various spirits you could bind and gaining new options and information. That would be a nice take on both the visual novel and monster training genres - has anyone done something like this yet?
That's an interesting idea, shame they didnt expand on salutors in that way. Though i guess they didnt want to be called Disco Elysium ripoff.

Also does anyone knows about other games with "schizo" protagonists? I only know about Disco Elysium and Slay the Princess, those kind of voices in your head are very entertaining, especially if involved in gameplay and narrative.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried it briefly and by the gods the combat is awful. And I use the word combat rather loosely because all the characters just stand there like bowling pins and throw abilities at each other. No distance, no movement, no positioning, no facing, no cover... none of the things many codexers like.
So.. like jRPGs ? :D

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Also does anyone knows about other games with "schizo" protagonists? I only know about Disco Elysium and Slay the Princess, those kind of voices in your head are very entertaining, especially if involved in gameplay and narrative.
Cyberpunk 2077. Only one voice in your head but it's Neo, John Constantine and John Wick at the same time.

Zariusz

Arbiter

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
So.. like jRPGs ? :D
Yeah, that might explain my hate for it. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom