Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Taiping Rebellion would be the perfect setting for a Total War style wargame

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love the Total War series and basically any wargame that's focused on simulating battles, like the Graviteam Tactics games which are extremely simulationist WW2 games.

There are many of those games in many different settings. Ancient, medieval, Napoleonic, American Civil War, WW2...

But there is one setting that has never been used for a wargame, yet it would be absolutely perfect. Especially for a wargame with a focus on battles and using different unit types.
The Taiping Rebellion in 1950s-1860s China.

- some Chinaman claims to be the brother of Jesus Christ and starts a cult
- this turns into a large-scale rebellion that takes over half of China and starts an all-out civil war
- both the rebels and the Qing armies used very outdated equipment for the time: while the rest of the world was upgrading their flintlock muskets to percussion locks and converted smoothbores to rifled muskets, the Chinese still used matchlocks and half their soldiers were armed with melee weapons
- while their own arms were incredibly outdated, both the rebels and the imperial forces imported western arms; Europeans and Americans both sold new state of the art weapons as well as dumping their older guns their armies no longer used on China
- this leads to an insane variety in unit types: spearmen, sword & shield bearers, bowmen, alongside matchlock musketmen, flintlock musketmen, modern percussion lock muskets with rifled barrels, whatever type of equipment you can think of, it was used in this war
- parts of the Qing army still fought in the nomadic style of their steppe forefathers, so you get Mongol-style horse archers on top of it all, too
- some westerners even signed up as volunteers for the Taiping rebels, they were only a couple hundred but that's enough for one or two western volunteer units in the Taiping forces
- the Taiping rebels even had a lot of women volunteers, enough to form several female regiments... and the best part: they fought barefoot to proudly display their unbound, naturally-shaped feet! Barefoot female units are in, baby! :M
- Brits and French later intervened in favor of the Qing Empire and provided expeditionary forces against the Taiping rebels
- before the British intervention in favor of the Empire, the Brits fought against the Qing in the Second Opium War which happened at the same time as the rebellion, so you have multiple conflicts with constantly changing sides for an intense diplomatic game
- meanwhile, other regions of China also broke into rebellion, like the Muslim minorities in western China, as they sensed the opportunity to make easy gains

This scenario is absolutely PERFECT for a game.
The battles have more variety of unit types than anything else. Steppe horse archers, heavy sword & shield infantry, spearmen, firearms that range from primitive matchlocks to powerful rifled muskets and anything in-between, bowmen, cannons, etc etc. An even greater variety of unit types than Shogun 2's Fall of the Samurai had.
And then you have direct intervention by foreign powers, as well as additional rebellions in other regions of China, each with their own troop types/fighting styles.
The game would offer so many interesting scenarios both on the battlefield as well as the diplomatic stage.

Sadly, I doubt anyone is going to make a game in this setting, let alone one that would do it justice. It's not a well-known enough conflict, and the massive clusterfuck of half a dozen concurrent rebellions coupled with an extremely complicated diplomatic solution isn't too easy to implement in a game.

But holy shit do I want that game.
I love battles where radically different tech-levels meet. And the battles in this war are basically clashes of medieval armies where half the soldiers are armed with modern weapons lmao.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
You could do everything but the tactical battles in Axioms. Unfortunately for you.

There's literally no other game where you could do anything *but* the tactical battles.

you know what would be perfect? a romance of the three kingdoms total war. and they shat the bed with it.

Victor1234

Educated
This might be of interest to you. I don't know if they licensed the engine or what, but it looks just like the AGE engine that AGEOD used to make their games with, and there's a dev who just cranks out obscure conflicts like this as part of a series of scenario DLCs. He previously covered things like WW1 in East Africa, the Mexican-American War, the South American wars of independence, etc.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1519060/SGS_Taipings/

Norfleet

This scenario is absolutely PERFECT for a game.
The battles have more variety of unit types than anything else. Steppe horse archers, heavy sword & shield infantry, spearmen, firearms that range from primitive matchlocks to powerful rifled muskets and anything in-between, bowmen, cannons, etc etc. An even greater variety of unit types than Shogun 2's Fall of the Samurai had.
And then you have direct intervention by foreign powers, as well as additional rebellions in other regions of China, each with their own troop types/fighting styles.
The game would offer so many interesting scenarios both on the battlefield as well as the diplomatic stage.

Sadly, I doubt anyone is going to make a game in this setting, let alone one that would do it justice. It's not a well-known enough conflict, and the massive clusterfuck of half a dozen concurrent rebellions coupled with an extremely complicated diplomatic solution isn't too easy to implement in a game.
And because for all the reasons you described, the production costs would be through the roof. All those units that aren't just differently colored reskins of each other.

oscar

Arcane
Fall of the Samurai has already done it (and probably better).

Chinese Gordon definitely deserves a movie to do him justice though (something Lawrence of Arabia-esque in scope but good luck in this climate).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
This might be of interest to you. I don't know if they licensed the engine or what, but it looks just like the AGE engine that AGEOD used to make their games with, and there's a dev who just cranks out obscure conflicts like this as part of a series of scenario DLCs. He previously covered things like WW1 in East Africa, the Mexican-American War, the South American wars of independence, etc.

Strategic focus, battles are too abstract.

I want something like Total War or Field of Glory battles.

And because for all the reasons you described, the production costs would be through the roof. All those units that aren't just differently colored reskins of each other.
Publishers being afraid to spend money on cool stuff is why we can't have nice things.

Victor1234

Educated

Strategic focus, battles are too abstract.

I want something like Total War or Field of Glory battles.

Publishers being afraid to spend money on cool stuff is why we can't have nice things.

You and me both!

Ladonna

Arcane

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1519050/SGS_Heia_Safari/?curator_clanid=36173274

The only campaign where forces of Imperial Germany fought victoriously till the end. From 1914 to 1918 in East Africa, you play general Von Lettow and his skilled Askaris or Allied troops from the Empire, Belgium and Portugal. Get the ‘African Queen’ feel when playing this exotic campaign.

header.jpg

Wow. I wonder if a game has covered this before.

laclongquan

Arcane
1. Taiping is a not so very popular period among Chinese audience so a game aiming at this market would not be well commercially~ Many complications. A simplest design is to force a Taiping-only campaign, not Qing dynasty, and definitely not any foreigner faction~

2. Taiping provide a very ironic view on Christianity and its localized form, so a game in this setting would have unfortunate religious consequence, mostly because Taiping top 3 did have many "interesting" rumours thus affect Christianity's fame and reputation. There's buried landmines aplenty~

Victor1234

Educated

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1519050/SGS_Heia_Safari/?curator_clanid=36173274

The only campaign where forces of Imperial Germany fought victoriously till the end. From 1914 to 1918 in East Africa, you play general Von Lettow and his skilled Askaris or Allied troops from the Empire, Belgium and Portugal. Get the ‘African Queen’ feel when playing this exotic campaign.

header.jpg

Wow. I wonder if a game has covered this before.

Indirectly yes but I think it's probably the first one to make it the whole focus of the game. AGEOD had a WW1 game (To End All Wars) where these forces and the area was represented, ditto for the WW1 scenarios in games like The Operational Art of War 3.

These are not popular game topics.

n66xmpGD1JJvvHn-gmNK50F6Ond14INU_ezL4YEB2qk.jpg

Victor1234

Educated
The dudes making these obscure setting games have posted their release plans for the future. See if anything strikes your fancy, looks like they are going for more well known settings:

Y3waFP4.png

Looks like it's Cold War 1980's turns hot, American Revolution, Spanish Civil War, 1939 Poland and so on.

Gaznak

Learned
Total War regrettably turned into a gaming equivalent of a shitty pseudo-metal band Sabaton. Seems soon there will be no even the least known war or battle in human history these two haven't shat over.

mondblut

Arcane
- this leads to an insane variety in unit types: spearmen, sword & shield bearers, bowmen, alongside matchlock musketmen, flintlock musketmen, modern percussion lock muskets with rifled barrels, whatever type of equipment you can think of, it was used in this war

You must be new to computer games. Here's how it works in reality:

1) recruit a gatling gun unit
2) use it to kill everyone

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Yeah but isn't it fun to have a massive variety of different guys to kill with your gatling gun?

mondblut

Arcane

Yeah but isn't it fun to have a massive variety of different guys to kill with your gatling gun?

Having lots of useless units for the sake of larping? Dunno.

A game about europeans with state of the art modern firearms mowing down thousand of barefoot savages armed with sticks and stones does have a certain appeal, but the (((usual suspects))) probably won't look kindly at it.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Having lots of useless units for the sake of larping? Dunno.

A game about europeans with state of the art modern firearms mowing down thousand of barefoot savages armed with sticks and stones does have a certain appeal, but the (((usual suspects))) probably won't look kindly at it.
hey, maybe if the barefoot savages were chinks, maybe they'd allow it?

Viata

Arcane
Threads like this reminds me that there are a fuckton of interesting events in history that would be a great setting for many video game genres. Yet we get the same shit over and over again. Worse yet, we get some interesting one, but made by Ubisoft and it's another Ass Creed game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom