Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Story Of The Witcher 3: Geralt's Midlife Crisis

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Another Witcher 3 interview was published at Game Informer today. This one is about the game's story and setting, and how the world and Geralt's life have changed since the events of The Witcher 2.

The vehement reassurance that there will be no world-destroying "Ancient Evil" to defeat makes me think the developers have been reading the Codex. It sounds like they're planning to ignore or paper over some of the choices made in the previous game again, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Too bad Game Informer haven't posted the interview on Youtube yet so I can embed it in the post and make it look bigger. :smug:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Meh, looks like no matter what you did in W2 the world will look the same in the third part. Why the hell have I bothered to put Temeria back together?!

Kahlis

Cipher
You know since the game is titled Wild Hunt, I'm really feeling disappointed at how the game is probably going to completely overlook how you dealt with that guy at the end of TW1. That doesn't even affect anything if you import over into TW2, does it? I wonder if the entire thing was just a fun last-minute boss fight they added on to the end of the first game for the sake of making the ending seem more personal, but they've since decided to overlook it since it doesn't fit their plans for the story now.

And another disappointment was that in TW2 if you didn't import a character, apparently a lot of the canonical stuff Geralt did in TW1 got handed to you anyway. I guess it wouldn't make sense for Geralt to have just not existed for the events of the first game if you didn't import, but I was hoping for more reward. In most of the cases, you'd only notice a difference in importing a character if you did the worse thing in the first game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You know since the game is titled Wild Hunt, I'm really feeling disappointed at how the game is probably going to completely overlook how you dealt with that guy at the end of TW1. That doesn't even affect anything if you import over into TW2, does it? I wonder if the entire thing was just a fun last-minute boss fight they added on to the end of the first game for the sake of making the ending seem more personal, but they've since decided to overlook it since it doesn't fit their plans for the story now.

I don't think you actually kill him for good there. You just prevent him from taking Alvin/Jacques de Aldersberg's soul.

(He says earlier in the game, in Chapter 1, that the only reason he's letting Geralt live is because he anticipates that Geralt will deliver Alvin's soul to him, although you have no idea what he's talking about at that point)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We don't know which choices will be carried over and which are not, so no need to bitch yet.

Also, carrying over saves from game to game is overrated. We had great games like the Gothic series or Baldur's Gate, where you didn't carry your choices over (even in BG2, you just imported your character stats). It is stupid that because of Bioware, this became the RPG norm, when it comes to story driven RPGs.

Kahlis

Cipher
I guess that's the only way it could've gone down. Still, I wish that was touched upon in the second game. It seems like the only situation in which importing a character gives you the opportunity for a better outcome than starting from scratch is with Adda, who's dead by default if you didn't import. And even then you just get some choose-your-own-adventure forced-replay lip service with a few different lines of dialog, but I guess that's all it's ever been with importing in non party based games.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We don't know which choices will be carried over and which are not, so no need to bitch yet.

Also, carrying over saves from game to game is overrated. We had great games like the Gothic series or Baldur's Gate, where you didn't carry your choices over (even in BG2, you just imported your character stats). It is stupid that because of Bioware, this became the RPG norm, when it comes to story driven RPGs.
But Gothic didn't have dramatically different outcomes, Matt. You picked a faction in the beginning, stuck with it during the midgame and come the ending it turned out that the final goal is faction independent. There were basically no choices to port over.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

But Gothic didn't have dramatically different outcomes, Matt. You picked a faction in the beginning, stuck with it during the midgame and come the ending it turned out that the final goal is faction independent. There were basically no choices to port over.
I know, but it is still unfair to bash CD Projekt if they don't port over every decision. This is a huge work, they have to design around every outcome which were in TW2. I would be happy if they said that X is the canonical outcome, and they will continue that path in TW3. I'd rather have them using their resources to make a big, complex game, than scripting different outcomes based on your previous choices.

odrzut

Arcane
Lore-wise the Wild Hunt isn't something you can deal with by "killing" a few specters (even the king of wild hunt), and this was in books, before TW1 came out. But yeah, it would be nice for them to change a little (even a few dialogs) depending on how you dealt with wild hunt in TW1.

And I certainly think they should use TW2 choices in TW3 to change things considerably, even if it's only different gossips in inns about current war situation, and a few different quests.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane

Oh no, this practice is quite a bit older than that, Bioware just resurrected that shit. Anyone remember Quest for Glory?

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't know why people care so much about inter-game C&C. Sure, it would be nice, but it's practically so difficult to do, especially in a way that doesn't just end up an expensive gimmick. I don't know, did the ME series do it well? Was it really such a groovy thing, as opposed to having good C&C within each installment?

You play one game within a period of days or weeks, the gap between playing one game and the next is in years. I don't mind as long as the sequel doesn't blatantly shit all over the Great Choices of the previous game, and tacitly avoids the question.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't know why people care so much about inter-game C&C. Sure, it would be nice, but it's practically so difficult to do, especially in a way that doesn't just end up an expensive gimmick. I don't know, did the ME series do it well? Was it really such a groovy thing, as opposed to having good C&C within each installment?

IT'S BIOWARE. :lol:

NONE of your decisions mattered. Not one.

Tigranes

Arcane

I was trying to be fair, since I didn't bother to play ME. Of course, that was the response I anticipated. :obviously:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Think of it as commentary on the futility of human endeavor against the vast cosmic forces of the universe. Or just lousy writing, could be that.

TW2 already paid basically no attention to the decisions you may have made in the first game, or rather they weren't really relevant to the plot, so I don't see why this is terribly surprising.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Think of it as commentary on the futility of human endeavor against the vast cosmic forces of the universe. Or just lousy writing, could be that.

TW2 already paid basically no attention to the decisions you may have made in the first game, or rather they weren't really relevant to the plot, so I don't see why this is terribly surprising.

I think those decisions have to be limited to fluff. They are too costly to implement and the benefit of having them is not significant enough. Frankly, I'd rather they focused their efforts on quest design within the framework of TW3.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I think those decisions have to be limited to fluff. They are too costly to implement and the benefit of having them is not significant enough. Frankly, I'd rather they focused their efforts on quest design within the framework of TW3.

Absolutely. Especially if the game takes place in Nilfgaard and is focused on Geralt's personal story then it doesn't really matter what the exact situation is in the Northern Kingdoms. I'm sure we'll get some cameos (like Siegfried in TW2 if you helped him in TW1) or mentions of your deeds (like Adda was talked about in TW2 depending on whether you saved her in TW1) but I don't think it's realistic to expect anything major.

Indranys

Savant
Geralt's midlife crisis??

:what:

Apparently being chased by specters to death and having a ugly rapist-face bard friend is not miserable enough.
Running out of women to pound??

MCA
The title "The Wild Hunt" got me worried about a Wild Hunt invasion. Good of them to clarify "ancient evil" stuff. So then I'm guessing The Wild Hunt will come to haunt Geralt for whatever happened in the past.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom