Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The story of the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy adventure game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Digital Antiquarian has a fascinating, well-researched and very long article about how Steve Meretzky and Douglas Adams created Infocom's greatest hit: http://www.filfre.net/2013/11/the-computerized-hitchhikers/

stevem.jpg

For Infocom, whose corporate rise had been almost as meteoric as Meretzky’s personal rise, this was truly the top of the mountain. Adams mentioned them and the game in his appearance on Late Night with David Letterman even as, simultaneously with all of the Hitchhiker’s-related attention, they were being wined and dined by Richard E. Snyder of Simon & Schuster in his private boardroom. Just a week after the Hitchhiker’sshindig in Rockefeller Center they hosted their second (and, as it would turn out, final) big press conference there, to announce their forthcoming database manager Cornerstone. Their booth at that Comdex, where they passed out thousands of free “Don’t Panic!” buttons to all and sundry, was amongst the most frequented and discussed at the show. They got their name onto National Public Radio stations around the country when they sponsored the first Stateside airing in years of the original Hitchhiker’s radio serials. They had truly arrived, and on multiple fronts at that.

The Hitchhiker’s game itself was the biggest hit Infocom had ever had, just as Dornbrook had known it would be. They literally couldn’t make them fast enough to meet demand that Christmas. As Meretzky himself recounted in an article for The New Zork Times, Infocom had to take desperate measures. They leased some more warehouse space just to have someplace to put the avalanche of feelies, boxes, manuals, and diskettes coming in for assembly. Ernie Brogmus, Infocom’s production manager, came to Meretzky to ask if he could organize some help from his white-collar colleagues inside the Wheeler Street offices. That evening Meretzky put a sign-up form on the office billboard for twenty volunteers to come to the assembly plant for a seven-hour shift that Sunday. When he arrived the office next morning at 9:30 there were thirty-five names on it. Forty people actually showed up. Soon Infocom organized a Saturday shift as well as evening shifts: “They were turning up with husbands and wives and mothers and sisters and brothers and friends.” Thanks to such dedication and camaraderie, Infocom in November of 1984 shipped more product than in any month before or after: 62,000 games, 6000 promotional “Sampler Packs,” and 21,000 InvisiClues hint books.

Hitchhhiker’s went on to sell almost 300,000 units, over 200,000 of them in its first year, to become Infocom’s all-time second biggest seller, behind only Zork I, the game that had gotten it all started. Reviews were uniformly stellar. About the only grumbling came from some of Adams’s original British fans, who complained at his decision to work with an American company and at the fact that the game was never made available for the biggest home computer in Britain, the Sinclair Spectrum. “He’s putting the boot into his own fans, the British computer industry, and for all he cares the country itself,” wrote one particularly exercised ex-fan in Popular Computing. In Adams and Infocom’s defense, Sinclair’s decision not to produce a disk drive for the Spectrum made it impractical to port Infocom games to the platform. Publishers like Level 9 serving the thriving British adventure market were also a bit stung by the rejection, but to their credit largely seem to have taken it as motivation to improve rather than grounds for sulking.

Hitchhiker’s is not only of huge commercial and historical importance to Infocom and the adventure game; it’s also of huge artistic interest, with sections that almost feel like a deconstruction of the traditional text adventure. Accordingly, and having now given you the historic and commercial context, I think we should look at the game itself in some detail. Besides, it’s a fun one to write about, full of bits just screaming out for annotation. So, we’ll make that the next item on the agenda.

I actually played this game when I was a kid (it was old even then, of course). It was very weird and trope-subverting, but not incredibly hard.

Yet it’s also true, as Meretzky freely admits, that that unique Douglas Adams sensibility was essential to making the game the off-kilter, vaguely subversive creation it became. Who else on the planet would have thought to make “no tea” and “a splitting headache” an inventory object? Who would have thought to make the game lie to you? Who would have thought to make the player’s random typo from dozens of moves ago an integral part of the story? Adams pushed Meretzky to, as Mike Dornbrook puts it, “break the rules” that he’d thought were inviolate.
Ah, memories.

hiver

Re-release this game in updated engine and art immediately!

:outrage::fight::takemymoney:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's done a little Let's Play/Retrospective Review of the game: http://www.filfre.net/2013/11/hitchhiking-the-galaxy-infocom-style/

Apparently, there was some controversy about the game's difficulty:

Still, there should be no mistake: Hitchhiker’s is punishingly difficult for even the most experienced of adventurers, the most challenging Infocom release since Suspended and the one with the most elements of, shall we say, questionable fairness since the days of Zork II and Deadline. While it is possible to repeat the vignettes until you solve each overarching challenge, it’s painfully easy to leave small things undone. Having “solved” the vignette in the sense of completing its overarching goal, you’re then locked out of experiencing it again, and thus locked out of victory for reasons that are obscure indeed.18 One or two puzzles give no immediate feedback after you solve them, which can lead you to think you’re on the wrong track.19 For virtually the entire game after arriving on the Heart of Gold you labor away with no clear idea what it is you’re really supposed to be accomplishing. Sometimes vital properties of things go undescribed just for the hell of it.20 And then many of these puzzles are… well, they’re just hard, and at least as often hard in the way of “ENJOY POETRY” as in the way of the babel fish. The “Standard” difficulty label on the box, which was placed there purely due to marketing needs, is the cruelest touch of all.

So, we must ask just how Hitchhiker’s became such an aberration in the general trend of Infocom games to become ever fairer and, yes, easier. Meretzky noted that trend in his interview for Get Lamp and was not, either back in the day or at the time of his interview, entirely happy about it. He felt that wrestling with a game for weeks or months until you had that “Eureka!” moment in the bathtub or the middle of a working day was a huge part of the appeal of the original Zork — an appeal that Infocom was gradually diluting. Thus Meretzky and Adams explicitly discussed his opinion that “adventure games were becoming a little too easy,” and thatHitchhiker’s could be a corrective to that. Normally puzzles that were exceptionally difficult had their edges rounded during Infocom’s extensive testing process. But that didn’t happen for Hitchhiker’s to the extent that it normally did, for a couple of reasons. First, many of these puzzles had been written not by any ordinary Imp but by Douglas Adams; for obvious reasons, Infocom was reluctant to step on his toes. Additionally, the testers didn’t have nearly as much time with Hitchhiker’s as with an ordinary Infocom game, thanks to Adams’s procrastination and the resultant delays and Infocom’s determination to get the game out in time for Christmas. The testers did a pretty good job with the purely technical side; even the first release of Hitchhiker’s is not notably buggy. But there wasn’t time for the usual revisions to the design as a whole even had there been a strong motivation to do them from Infocom’s side. Any lack of such motivation was not down to lack of complaining from the testers: Meretzky admits that they “strongly urged that the game be made easier.”

The decision to go ahead with such a cruel design has been second-guessed by folks within Infocom in the years since, especially in light of the declining commercial fortunes of the company’s post-Hitchhiker’s era. Jon Palace presented a pretty good summary of the too-difficult camp’s arguments in his own Get Lamp interview:

Some have argued that The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy was one of the biggest mistakes we made because it introduced a huge audience to a relatively difficult game. The difficulty of the game and its design flaws21 may have turned off the largest new audience we could have had. Perhaps we should have made that game a lot easier. It’s very funny, and it’s got some terrific puzzles. But my point is that if it was the first time people were experiencing an Infocom game, because of the names “Hitchhiker’s Guide” and “Douglas Adams,” there was only so much Douglas Adams they could get out of it without working harder than they wanted to.

Steve Meretzky, on the other hand, remains unrepetant, as do Mike Dornbrook and others. Dornbrook’s argument, which strikes me as flawed, is essentially that most people didn’t finish most Infocom games anyway — even the easier ones — so Hitchhiker’s difficulty or hypothetical lack thereof didn’t make much difference. I suppose your attitude toward these issues says much about what you want Infocom’s games to be: accessible interactive stories with a literary bent or intricate puzzle boxes. It’s Graham Nelson’s memorable description of interactive fiction as a narrative at war with a crossword writ large yet again. For my part, I think interactive fiction can be either, an opinion apparently shared by Meretzky himself, the man who went on to write both the forthrightly literary A Mind Forever Voyaging and the unabashed puzzle box that is Zork Zero. Yet I do demand that my puzzle boxes play fair, and find that Hitchhiker’s sometimes fails me here. And while I have no objection to the concept of a tougher Infocom game for the hardcore who cut their teeth on Zork,22 I’m not sure that Hitchhiker’s should have been that game, for the obvious commercial considerations Palace has just outlined for us.

It's like a game designed by DU:

Code:
>listen
(to darkness)
You hear the deep and distant hum of a star drive coming from far above. There is an exit to port.

>w
You can't go that way.

>n
You can't go that way.

>s
(We were lying about the exit to port.) You emerge from a small doorway...

Code:
>stand
The bulldozer driver gives a quick chew of his gum and slams in the clutch. The bulldozer piles into the side of your home.

Your home collapses in a cloud of dust, and a stray flying brick hits you squarely on the back of the head. You try to think of some suitable last words, but what with the confusion of the moment and the spinning of your head, you are unable to compose anything pithy and expire in silence.

>s
You keep out of this, you're dead. An ambulance arrives.

>don't panic
You keep out of this, you're dead and should be concentrating on developing a good firm rigor mortis. You are put in the ambulance, which drives away.

>pray
For a dead person you are talking too much. As the ambulance reaches the mortuary a fleet of Vogon Constructor ships unexpectedly arrives and demolishes the Earth to make way for a new hyperspace bypass.

Code:
>u
Corridor, Aft End
This is one end of a short corridor that continues fore along the main deck of the Heart of Gold. Doorways lead to aft and port. In addition, a gangway leads downward.

>s
That entrance leads to the Infinite Improbability Drive chamber. It's supposed to be a terribly dangerous area of the ship. Are you sure you want to go in there?

>yes
Absolutely sure?

>yes
I can tell you don't want to really. You stride away with a spring in your step, wisely leaving the Drive Chamber safely behind you. Telegrams arrive from well-wishers in all corners of the Galaxy congratulating you on your prudence and wisdom, cheering you up immensely.

>s
What? You're joking, of course. Can I ask you to reconsider?

>no
Engine Room
You're in the Infinite Improbability Drive chamber. Nothing happens; there is nothing to see.

>l
Engine Room
I mean it! There's nothing to see here!

>l
Engine Room
Okay, okay, there are a FEW things to see here.

:lol:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, without reading the book when playing this, it was pretty much impossible.

"What? I have to lie down in front of the bulldozer? Why the fuck would I do that?"

m_s0

Arcane
The chapter about the game from Neil Gaiman's Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion:

Douglas Adams has always been fascinated by gadgets of every kind. His home, and indeed his life, is awash with all those little devices designed to reduce the complications of the workaday world. Televisions and amplifiers, computers and cameras, tape players of all descriptions, electronic objects of every colour and size. "The tendency for me to take the piss out of technology is me taking the piss out of myself. Digital watches and a kitchen full of juice extractors - I'm a sucker for it!"

While the initial success of Hitchhiker's allowed him to indulge his passion for tape players, Walkmans and the like, he remained for a long time on a battered manual typewriter, neither liking nor trusting computers.

In a 1982 interview he revealed that he considered computers to be, if not intrinsically malevolent, then useless – either HACTARs or EDDlEs. He had just moved into the Islington flat, and had found it impossible to convince the various utilities companies' computers that he had in fact moved. "Dealing with the American Express computer," he told the reporter, "has been beyond Kafka's worst nightmares."

In retaliation he had created a scenario for Life, the Universe, and Everything in which a world much like our own is poised on the brink of nuclear Armageddon, and tipped over the brink not by a flock of geese or a madman's finger on a red button, but by a change-of-address card fouling up a computer. The scene never made it into the final draft.

He had tried to like computers, indeed had gone to a computer show earlier that year, but had been overcome by jargon and was forced to leave. His enthusiasm (bordering on messianic fervour) for computers did not really begin until 1983, when he spent seven months in Los Angeles, supposedly writing the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy film screenplay.

While it is true that he did write one and a half drafts of a screenplay over this time, it would be equally fair to say that he spent much of the time playing with his word processor and getting involved with interminable computer games.

Douglas had received many requests to turn Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy into a computer game, and had so far refused all of them. However, the time spent playing computer games had given him definite ideas: he knew he wanted the Hitchhiker's game to be far more a problem-solving, interactive novel than an arcade or space invaders game.

In late 1983 he contacted Infocom, a Massachusetts based company whose previous games had impressed him, and suggested a collaboration. They agreed enthusiastically, and by January 1984 Douglas was in a position to announce, "I'm going to get the computer game done this year which will give me an excuse for playing around with my computer. I'll be doing the work on a computer in Boston and accessing it from here on international packet-switching. I love all that!"

Douglas Adams's collaborator on the computer game was an American, Steve Meretzky. They began by corresponding via electronic bulletin board, and then met in February 1984 for initial discussions. Adams wrote chunks of material, sent them via computer to Meretzky, who programmed them and sent them back. Douglas Adams actually designed and wrote more than half the game; the rest was a joint effort, using Douglas's ideas and material, and Meretzky's computer experience. The game itself was released in late `84, and proved an immediate success. The packaging was imaginative, containing an illustrated booklet with pictures of the Guide and sundry alien phenomena, together with a `Don't Panic' badge, Joo Janta sunglasses, fluff, a microscopic space fleet, demolition orders (real eager-beavers should take a very careful look at the signatures on them), and no tea.

The computer game, which Adams describes as "bearing as much relationship to the books as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead does to Hamlet", opens much as the other versions of Hitchhiker's. You are Arthur Dent, waking with a hangover on the morning that your house is demolished, but you rapidly find yourself in a fiendish and phantasmagoric nightmare, in which the object seems to be as much to find out what the purpose of the game is as it is to play it.

As Adams explains, "It gets the player going and lulled into a false sense of security. And then all hell breaks loose and it goes through the most extraordinary number of directions. The game just glances at events which were a major part of the books, while things I used as one line throw-aways are those that I used for the game's set pieces. The reason was to keep me interested in doing it, and I wanted to make it fair for the people who haven't read the books. So readers and non-readers were, as much as possible, on an equal footing... the game is equally difficult for both."

The response to the game was extraordinary. Described by the London Times as "without doubt the best adventure ever seen on computer", it became the bestselling adventure game in America on its release, selling over a quarter of a million copies. A major part of the game's success must have been due to the fact that a real-life author was, for the first time, actively involving himself in, indeed writing, a computer game based on his work; and also to Adams's own love of messing around with computers, and devising problems, doing crosswords and the like - not to mention his need to keep himself interested and amused by that game, which communicates itself to participants.

The game contains much that is new (and doubtless apocryphal); obscure, brain-baffling problems; and much new Adams text, including another opportunity to examine and rewrite the events of the first half of the first book. Doors, Babel fish, peanuts and tea (or lack therefore) take on a whole new lease of life.

Some sample passages include:

Of a pub cheese sandwich...

"The barman gives you a cheese sandwich. The bread is like the stuff that stereos come packed in, the cheese would be great for rubbing out spelling mistakes, and margarine and pickle have combined to produce something that shouldn't be, but is, turquoise. Since it is clearly unfit for human consumption you are grateful to be charged only a pound for it."

Of one of the many deaths of Arthur Dent. . .

"Your serious allergic reaction to protein loss from matter transference beams becomes a cause cl[e`]bre among various holistic pressure groups in the Galaxy and leads to a total ban on dematerialisation. Within fifty years, space travel is replaced by a keen interest in old furniture restoration and market gardening. In this new, quieter Galaxy, the art of telepathy flourishes as never before, creating a new universal harmony which brings all life together, converts all matter into thought and brings about the rebirth of the entire Universe on a higher and better plane of existence. However, none of this affects you, because you are dead."

Later in the game, when one obtains a copy of the Guide, it can be consulted on a number of subjects. Fluff, for example...

"Fluff is interesting stuff: a deadly poison on Bodega Minor, the diet staple of Frazelon V, the unit of currency on the moons of the Blurfoid System, and the major crop of the laundry supplies planet, Blastus 111. One ancient legend claims that four pieces of fluff lie scattered around the Galaxy: each forming one quarter of the seedling of a tree with amazing properties, the sole survivor of the tropical planet Fuzzbol (Footnote 8). The ultimate source of fluff is still a mystery, with the scientific community divided between the Big Lint Bang theory and the White Lint Hole theory." (Footnote 8, should you care to check, informs you that "it's not much of a legend really.)"

The game is bizarre and improbable. It has the text of a short novel in its memory, and means that a good part of Douglas Adams's mail now consists of heartfelt cries from people trapped on the bridge of the Heart of Gold or unable to obtain a Babel fish.

A second game was planned at the same time as the first, this to take place on the planet of Magrathea.

Whether or not the game is a valid part of the Hitchhiker's canon (for which the only requisite for joining would seem to be that it is completely different from any other versions) could be debated. But comparison is not really needed. As Douglas Adams explained, when interviewed about Interactive Literature, "You can't compare IL with literature. If you do, you can very easily make a fool of yourself. When Leo Fender first invented an electric guitar one could have said: `But to what extent is this real music?' To which the answer is: `All right, we're not going to play Beethoven on it, but at least let's see what we can do.' What matters is whether it's interesting and exciting.

"The thing I like about this is that I can sit down and know that I am the first person to be working in this specific field. When you are writing a novel, you are aware that you are manipulating your readers. Here you know you are going to have to make them think how you want them to reason. I don't regard it as being an abdication of creative art. Yes, at first I was horrified: in fact, there is a sense in which now the author is even more in control, because the `reader' has more problems to solve. All the devices of the novel are still at your disposal, because a novel is simply a string of words, and words can mean whatever you want them to. It just offers the opportunity to have a lot of fun."

Adams enjoyed putting together and writing the computer game more than any other aspect of Hitchhiker's. Following the computer game, Adams's interest in computers, computer games and programming has remained high, although at one point he found that he was spending so much time playing with his Apple Macintosh that he switched back to a manual typewriter, in order to get some work done and as a form of penance. Computer-related projects for the future include Bureaucracy (The object of Bureaucracy being to persuade your bank to acknowledge a change-of-address card) planned for a mid-1985 release (but delayed until 1987). Projects that were slated to happen but probably won't include Reagan, God, Hitchhiker's II and The Muppet Institute of Technology.

The Muppet Institute of Technology was to have been a one-hour special for television, using the Muppets to promote the idea of computer literacy. The late Jim Henson, the Muppets' creator, flew Adams and twenty other people to New York for discussions, and while Douglas was enthused about the project, and found Henson Associates "extraordinarily nice people to work with", the project did not happen.

The idea for the Reagan program occurred to Douglas after watching one of the Reagan-Mondale debates in 1984: "It occurred to me that people who have to brief Reagan for a debate such as that have to provide him with the minimum number of facts and the maximum number of ways of getting to those facts, and the most all-embracing fallback positions - lines to come up with when he doesn't really know the answer to the question and maybe doesn't even understand the question, but has recognised some key phrase, and can come up with a phrase or line that will cover it.

"And I thought, `This is exactly the way you program a computer to appear to be taking part in a conversation.' So, with a friend in New York, I was going to do a program to emulate Reagan, so you could sit down and talk to a computer and it would respond as Reagan would. And then we could do a Thatcher one, and after a while you could do all the world leaders, and get all the various modules to talk to each other.

"After that we were going to do a program called God, and program all God's attributes into it, and you'd have all the different denominations of God on it... you know, a Methodist God, a Jewish God, and so on. . . I wanted to be the first person to have computer software burned in the Bible Belt, which I felt was a rite of passage that any young medium had to pass through.

"However, with the recession in the American computer industry, all that came to nothing, largely because the people who wanted to do it with me discovered they didn't have cars or money or jobs."

THE GAME ITSELF:

It is difficult to say too much about the computer game without giving information away that could spoil it for somebody playing it. Essentially, it is based on the events in the first two-thirds of the book The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. One starts out as Arthur Dent, in bed one morning in Tiverton in Devon, with an awful hangover. Initial problems include how to pick something up without it slipping through your fingers and how not to be killed when a large yellow bulldozer knocks down your house.

Things remain fairly faithful to the book until you reach the Heart of Gold, at which point Ford, Zaphod and Trillian go off to have a sauna and you are left to your own devices in a ship full of uncooperative GPP machines. After that things get very bizarre indeed: events are experienced from a multitude of viewpoints; problems to be solved occur in places as disparate as Damogran, a party in Islington, and the interior of a whale.

To get you through the game are your copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide, your Sub-Etha Sensomatic Thumb, and your towel - not to mention your native wit, luck, and a sense of humour. And a thing your aunt gave you that you don't know what it is.

The game is addictive: fiendishly hard, yet impossible to leave alone until every last problem is solved, which can only be done by paying attention to every piece of information that comes your way, and often by thinking extremely laterally. The game can be played by novices, who might in some ways have less difficulty than experienced computer gamers, who would not necessarily find it easy to tune in to the game's peculiar mind-set.

It is easy to see why Douglas Adams found this the most enjoyable part of Hitchhiker's; almost all aspects of it, from the adventure, to the Guide entries, to the footnotes, even to the Invisiclues Hints book, display a relaxed attitude missing from the books and radio series. Adams has a tendency to have ideas that don't always fit into the framework of what he is doing at the time. The enjoyable thing about the computer game is that the most bizarre ideas can be incorporated into it with ease. Also Adams's love of problem-solving (crosswords and such) is given full rein.

The weakest part of the game is the opening section of the packaging and manual: an eight-page advertisement for the Guide ("Yes! The Universe Can Be Yours For Less Than 30 Altairian Dollars Per Day!") which comes across as sophomoric – more like Mad magazine than Douglas Adams.

The game, however, is a major achievement, one that even the least computer literate Hitchhiker's fan should enjoy.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, without reading the book when playing this, it was pretty much impossible.
TBH, if you haven't read the book, or heard the radio series, or seen the TV series, there really was no reason to buy the game (except if you were already an Infocom fan, but the whole point of the game was to introduce non-Infocom but Adams fans to Infocom games). The genius of the game puzzles is that they DID require you to have read the book or heard the radio or seen the series, but having done any or all of that did NOT mean you instantly knew how to solve them.

That paragraph Infinitron quoted in the 2nd post is full of small time bullshit but I don't feel like doing a point by point argumentation, and I'm an unabashed Infocom fanboy anyway so it'll hardly be objective. The "lying" puzzles are perhaps the most grossly exaggerated aspect as well, as can clearly be seen in the parts supposed to show how "unfair" they are. I mean seriously; you just walked into the fucking Infinite Improbability Drive; the computer tells you "nothing to see here"... and you actually believe that there really is nothing to see? WTF?

hiver

The books and therefore the game require at least an average IQ score.

Also a towel.

hiver

Re-release this game in updated engine and art immediately!

:outrage::fight::takemymoney:

And my command was obeyed.

Play it NOW for FREE - on BBC!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Game - 30th Anniversary Edition

bfhDaaI.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...e-to-the-galaxy-game-30th-anniversary-edition

The 30th anniversary edition
The game was spotted languishing on these pages, quietly ticking over with up to 70 visitors on a good day. The time seemed right for a spit and polish and to re-house it on a shiny new server just before the old ones were switched off for good. An already cantankerous game with a penchant for killing people in a variety of amusing ways, the game has not become more friendly while sulking unloved and unnoticed.

The game is still the same wonderful piece of interactive fiction that Douglas Adams wrote and Steve Meretzky programmed, but in finding it a new home, a few changes needed to be made. The old Flash game would not work on the new servers, and in porting it to a new HTML5 incarnation, several innovations took place. We were able to build in a larger, handier interface, with additional keys and functionality, and build in the ability to tweet from the game.

Then things started to get silly. Having covered the basics, we decided to slip in an ‘Any’ key, just because we could. The $, % and ^ symbols were replaced with new ones for the Altarian Dollar, Flanian Pobble Bead and the Triganic Pu, not because they are needed in the game, but just because we felt like it. We then decided that rather than having a simple functionality where the user could tweet, we would allow the game itself to tweet, based on the actions of users in the game.

How to play

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1z6wqcbQx8V5bpfltD5PQBg/how-to-play

:yeah:

hiver

cmonn Infinitron , get this on front page, stat!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • Game technical FAQ
Game Technical FAQ
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Game 30th Anniversary Edition Technical FAQ
Where’s the 20th Anniversary Edition gone?
In a case of hugely ironic bad timing, Radio 4 moved house this week. The old game was accidently packed up into a big box with all our other well-loved pieces of furniture so we’re just waiting for the moving van to turn up with it.

Newsflash! The Gaga Team found the old game down the back of the sofa, and have very kindly put it back here: 20th Anniversary Edition

Where have all the games I saved on the 20th Anniversary Edition gone?
Don't worry, they're safe. Over the last ten years you saved a total of 1/3 of a million games, so it'll take a bit of time to move them all over to the 30th Anniversary edition.

Isn’t that something you could get a computer to do?
Let’s hope so.

Hey! Why can't I save on the 20th Anniversary Edition any more?
You've filled it up! It's full! (See above)

Hey! Hey! Why can't I tweet from my tablet device?
Complicated technical reasons.

Hey! Hey! HEY! Why doesn't my brand of tablet work at all?
Even more complicated technical reasons.

Hey! Hey! Hey! HEY! Why doesn’t my Bluetooth keyboard work?
You’ve got an iPad, haven’t you?

Yes, how did you know?
It’s complicated. And technical. And because of the reason.

I don't believe you! I think you're just jealous that I've got a tablet.
That's not a question.

Isn't it?
No.

OK, are you going to do anything about these complicated technical reasons?
Yes.

When?
After we've launched.

But you’ve launched now, haven’t you?
Yes. Or at least, by the time you read this we’ll have launched.

So ... ?
We’re working on it. And lots of other cool features too, that you haven’t even asked us about.

Like what?
Full screen support on touch devices, a special portrait mode, auto-saving achievements, support for really ancient browsers, downloading saved games …

Oooh, is there a beta programme or anything like that?
Shhh! We weren’t supposed to tell anyone about the new features.

What if I have a question that isn’t on this FAQ?
You could try asking @h2g2game.

Aren’t you @h2g2game?
No.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Game - 30th Anniversary Edition

hiver

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom