Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Two Worlds: Epic Edition for a buck. I forget, which one of the Two Worlds games was worth a damn?

pippin

Two Worlds: Epic Edition for a buck. I forget, which one of the Two Worlds games was worth a damn?

Be aware that both Two Worlds games have hardware related DRM. I don't know if it's the same with the first one, but the second has that 3 activations thing.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anybody have an actual answer?

First one has shit quests, shit story, interesting gear (you stack weapons, armor, and spells of the same kind to improve them), nice combat animations, a fairly big, unrestricted from the start open world and extremely funny (in a it's so bad it's funny way) dialog. It's worth a buck.

sbb

Learned
Anybody have an actual answer?

First one has shit quests, shit story, interesting gear (you stack weapons, armor, and spells of the same kind to improve them), nice combat animations, a fairly big, unrestricted from the start open world and extremely funny (in a it's so bad it's funny way) dialog. It's worth a buck.
Sold

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Be aware that both Two Worlds games have hardware related DRM. I don't know if it's the same with the first one, but the second has that 3 activations thing.
The first game does not have any DRM beyond Steamworks. The game asks you to register when you run it for the first time but that's just for some overpowered cheat items at the beginning of a game.

The first one is a great game if you are a kind of a person who played Morrowind just to run around and see places. It's a good exploration game with interesting places and some challenging enemies from time to time. It also has decent horse combat. MQ and quests are alright for a fantasy game, nothing particularly interesting nor too boring.

The second game is the same but linear, they cut the exploration out making the game rather "just okay".

I'd say the first game is worth way more than $1 whereas the sequel... is also worth more, but not by much. You won't miss much by not playing TW2 at all, but you will by not doing so with TW.

BTW The beginning of TW is a bit crappy, don't let that put you off too soon. Play at least 2-3 hours and decide if you want to continue or not. I bought that game long time ago in a box, played for like 30 minutes and weeped I bought a turd which I put on a shelve. Months later I gave it another try and it turned out it's actually a decent game, contrary to what it looks like at the beginning.

Last edited:

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The beginning of TW is a bit crappy, don't let that put you off too soon. Play at least 2-3 hours and decide if you want to continue or not. I bought that game long time ago in a box, played for like 30 minutes and weeped I bought a turd which I put on a shelve. Months later I gave it another try and it turned out it's actually a decent game, contrary to what it looks like at the beginning.

I had the same experience. My initial reaction to Two Worlds was that it was garbage. But after giving it a second chance I actually found it to be pretty decent.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Two Worlds 2 is not that linear. I remember everyone calling it that way, and they made it sound like its a corridor shooter or something.

There are some large areas in which each chapter of the game takes place, they are not all available from the start but they are quite open and contain a good amount of sidequests. Exploration is not that exciting mostly because they don't have as much in them, but you can still run around and do various stuff in a big map. You are not as free to see the world as in the first one, but you do have some options. Storywise and atmosphere though, the smaller areas like the swamp and the Pirates DLC seem more focused and interesting.

The first one was a nice game as well. I think its biggest merit was how it surprised you with the amount of content and ambition in it after you initially thought it was some shovelware crap. It is very rough around the edges though. Everyone in the press called it a "poor man's Oblivion" but I enjoyed it a lot more than oblivion itself.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ss_2f3b40302b7a13e37933298017c6ab23ee4b5ec5.1920x1080.jpg

:what:

The original Two Worlds was a decent enough game that, back when I first had it only on the Xbox 360 (didn't have a gaming computer, dontchaknow), I deemed it an acceptable hassle to manually input console codes for a couple minutes to turn off grass and other niceties to get the damn thing to run better. The 360 bless its heart just wasn't up to displaying that game in any sort of smooth framerate and chugged like a rusted out 50's train engine. Note that I was entering this crap with a gamepad and their little digital keyboard and know my pain.

Fun fact; Provided you knew the console codes you could sit around and start popping in buildings, npcs, items etc. People were creating towns with limited functionality and had monsters acting as guards. They'd post pictures and descriptions in the Gamefaqs TW board. This is on the 360 mind you so that was amazing.

Fun Fact 2: Prior to patch 1.6 Resurrect was overpowered and a riot to use. Spoilers of a sort, a whole town gets massacred during the storyline (several do, actually) and you get to kill the invaders afterwards. And if you're playing TW pre-1.6 you can then run about bringing everyone back to life. They'll resume their lives, invaders and invadees co-existing happily. You can do this at the end of a lot of quests. Have to kill someone? Bring them back and walk away whistling. They won't talk to you anymore, seeing as temporary brain death probably did something screwy to them but eh....

This can occasionally screw up a quest if you necro someone before turning it in to the quest giver though. Be careful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom