Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We really need a steam curator that collates all the Unity Games so I know to avoid them.
In that case you will also have to add a whole bunch of good running 2D or pseudo-2D games, like Obsidian games, the Shadowrun series, The Fall, or Ori and the Blind Forest to the list.

Not saying that Unity is the best engine out there, but blaming engine for developer faults is just retarded. I'm not even going to ask why you bought War for the Overworld in the first place. I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.
I can't speak for the rest, but shadowrun returns actually really struggles to keep a smooth 60 on some of the larger outdoor levels.

We really need a steam curator that collates all the Unity Games so I know to avoid them.

Indeed.

CPU is old but my PC surpasses the "recommend specs", it can easily run GTA V, Twitcher 3 etc on high settings in 1080p.
Game looks like it's from 2004 yet the average frame rate is very low, frame rate is erratic and often drops below 10 FPS :lol:.
Changing graphic settings from highest to lowest doesn't improve performance which is typical for Unity games.

No kidding, I just cannot wrap my head around it.
Reducing texture size seems to do miracles, but none of the textures used are really detailed enough to suggest the footprint they have, so part of me thinks they're not using texture compression (eg: S3TC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S3_Texture_Compression).
The rest of the options did precious little performance wise for me.

Another part of me thinks the shaders are just horribly optimised all around.
I frankly cannot think of an explanation other than the engine itself, because if it wasn't the engine itself, these problems wouldn't be nearly as universal as they are now.

But let's not derail this thread into another Unity3D bitchfest.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Who said Indians don't have a sense of humor?

Insane Price For Indians

NEZ1OIL.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Jazz_

Arcane
I'm 40.
Of course I was there :)
Honestly I like old games for the mechanics but I do find old graphics, well, "old".

40 and a graphic whore? when did you start gaming? 5 years ago? Anyway Deus Ex is worth it, even if the graphics are outdated, go for it and let the Codex know what you think after. :salute:

mastroego

Arcane
I'm 40.
Of course I was there :)
Honestly I like old games for the mechanics but I do find old graphics, well, "old".

40 and a graphic whore? when did you start gaming? 5 years ago? Anyway Deus Ex is worth it, even if the graphics are outdated, go for it and let the Codex know what you think after. :salute:
My father had an Apple II C when I was like 6.
I had plenty of games, we're talking bichromatic stuff, little more complex than Pong, and glorious TEXT ADVENTURES.

I basically have been there for the whole evolution of games and graphics, though I have been on and off until recently.
Honestly I feel like I have nothing to "prove".
The presentation of some old games just puts me off for some reason: maybe it's because they exude that "dusty" feeling, maybe they do make me 'feel old' after all.
I don't know, I just follow my mood, I earn it by going through my everyday's shit :cool:
This doesn't apply to ALL old games ofc.

Anyway, I did buy the first one after the onslaught of "cuck" and "old" and shit... I'm only human.
I skipped HR since they say the Director's Cut introduced several game breaking bugs, WTF.
So I'll try the first one.... when the mood is right and I'm not too lazy to look for the Codex approved mods :)

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Every single one of them without exception perform like garbage and need a wholly unnecessary number of resources.
For example, I tried War for the Overworld yesterday, for just the Main Menu it:
1. Needed 3.7GB of RAM
2. Used 280% of CPU (that is nearly 3 full cores)
3. Couldn't push more than 26 FPS of the desired 60.

And that's just the main menu, it's not even in game!

I refunded War for the Overworld because it was a garbage game, but the technical aspects of it did not speak well for it either. I'd rather just replay DK1/2 for the nth time than play WftO.

Latelistener

Arcane
So I'll try the first one.... when the mood is right and I'm not too lazy to look for the Codex approved mods :)
If the goal is to experience Deus Ex, then there is no "first one" or "second one", there is only one and only Deus Ex.
Human Revolution is a mimicry, a stealth action game that does not have the "emergent" gameplay. It just tries to be the same, but it's different at the core.
And Invisible War is just a horrible console crap.

Last edited:

RuySan

Augur
I say the gunplay in far cry 3 feels way better than in crysis. Besides, I never liked fighting robots in shooters so that's another point for far cry 3.

Honestly I think fc3 has the best gunplay of the last few years, exception made for serious Sam 3.

RuySan

Augur
My father had an Apple II C when I was like 6.
I had plenty of games, we're talking bichromatic stuff, little more complex than Pong, and glorious TEXT ADVENTURES.

I basically have been there for the whole evolution of games and graphics, though I have been on and off until recently.
The presentation of some old games just puts me off for some reason: maybe it's because they exude that "dusty" feeling, maybe they do make me 'feel old' after all.
I don't know, I just follow my mood, I earn it by going through my everyday's shit :cool:

Anyway, I did buy the first one after the onslaught of "cuck" and "old" and shit... I'm only human.
I skipped HR since they say the Director's Cut introduced several game breaking bugs, WTF.
I understand you. I was already old enough when deus ex was released for the graphics to feel nostalgic. They just look awful.

I still love some Amiga and spectrum games graphics. They weren't worse than we have today, just different.

Dexter

Arcane
Honestly, early 3D games have aged horribly as long as they're not heavily stylized and are often not very aesthetically pleasing. I already thought Deus Ex looked shit back when I played the Demo from some game magazine CD. The push to have everything "be 3D" is what I bill the killing of the Adventure game in the late 90s/early 00s to and I could go on about it for hours, but just compare Simon the Sorcerer 2 to Simon 3D or Monkey Island 3 to Monkey Island 4: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...dventure-games-die.104725/page-2#post-4250952

Another genre that didn't really benefit from it immediately and kind of took a step back were RPGs at that time with another game that I thought looked shit and was needless from the beginning being Neverwinter Nights (not only with it objectively looking shit, but with the repeating of assets throughout and how polygon-y, monochromatic and barren it all was over large parts) - compare it with Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape: Torment that had hand-painted/pre-rendered backgrounds.

RuySan

Augur
No, Crysis has far superior gunplay, there's no question. Run the games side by side, fire each of their shotguns, and you will see.

It's been quite a while to remember crysis shotgun specifically, but the one in far cry 3 felt really good. Obviously still not as good as the double barrelled in ss3 and the combat shotgun of nu-wolfenstein.

Besides, I kinda liked far cry 3 plot and characterisation.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, anyway I read about a game last year, it was a stealth-action game, looked kinda like Frozen Synapse but there are proper human models and I think the main character wore a mask, it grabbed my attention at that time but I forgot about it quickly. Anyone know what game it is?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, anyway I read about a game last year, it was a stealth-action game, looked kinda like Frozen Synapse but there are proper human models and I think the main character wore a mask, it grabbed my attention at that time but I forgot about it quickly. Anyone know what game it is?

? Hotline Miami?

Latelistener

Arcane
Invisible Inc?

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually found it by browsing the cyberpunk tag, it's Volume made by Thomas Was Alone devs. Anyway, thanks for the effort folks :)

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Im in a mood for a shooter, anything recent any good?
Recent?
This genre is dead since 2007 or whenever previous console generations starter their reign and took this genre in their clumsy hands...

There are some gems like EYE Divine Cybermancy, but after doing some looking I decided to download and play No One Lives Forever, I just hope it will work well on Win10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom