Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Actually IIRC the last sale didn't had any gamification and they put all the maximum discounts for each game since day 1, as people would just refund the purchase if it had a better price later on (the sale before still didn't had that). I don't care about the gamification shit but the whole full discounts during the sale thing is pretty good.
Last sale was all about Explore your stupid queue to get cards. They even published some stats that this caused people to put more games on their wishlist and to buy more games. So they were pretty successful.

mastroego

Arcane
I recently got Alien: Isolation for like 80% discount.
I almost felt guilty, that was unfair to a great game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I recently got Alien: Isolation for like 80% discount.
I almost felt guilty, that was unfair to a great game.

No, 80% sounds about right for what we ended up with.

Had they actually bothered to finish the game and patch it, then you could feel guilty.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
What was wrong with it?

What Spellcaster said. If you're in a locker and you start holding your breath while you're leaning back in the locker (as both functions require that the same key be held down) then the game considers you to have failed the breathing test and kills you, but it won't do so until you release the button.

As for the rest of the game - the first half is great, but about Mission 10 or so it quickly starts falling apart, and by Mission 16 you're just wanting to get it all over with because it's overstayed its welcome. There are other bugs besides the locker bug, like glitchy graphics, animations not playing and animations playing 5 minutes after you've triggered them...and all that's before we get to the lot of players that simply could never play the game to begin with.

The worst part about it all, though is the utter lack of post-release support. The PS3 version got a fix for a gamebreaking bug, but even that didn't fully fix it. No other patches have been added to the game, only DLCs.

The game was obviously never anything more than a cashgrab on SEGA's behalf, and Creative Assembly were made to take the fall for it.

This has sworn me off any games made or published by SEGA. They won't get another dollar from me.

mastroego

Arcane
Never noticed that problem.
Or maybe I have, but I assumed I just started holding breath when the alien was too close and it already spotted me.
Quite a few times holding breath + leaning back DID save my neck, on the other hand.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
First 6-8 hours of Alien: Isolation is fairly solid, though it does continuously have the issue of everchanging objectives that just feel like naked, shameless padding, and unlike games like System Shock 2, doesn't give you the rewarding feeling of progression (that isn't to say that SS2 was perfect either). Then when there's a clear and very obvious point where the game should end (and you'll know when it happens)... The game instead decides to keep going for another few hours. Then you hit another point that feels climactic and conclusive enough to act as a satisfying finale...and the game decides yet again to keep going. Then it happens again, and again, and again, only to finally end on a cliffhanger that feels more like a tired wet fart than anything.

This extends to the overall gameplay as well. For the first few hours, avoiding the Alien and figuring out how to outmaneuver it is a legitimately tense and exciting experience born through simple and understandable mechanics. By the time the first 'finale' rolls around however, you'll start seeing the metaphorical zipper on the monster costume, so to speak. The holes in the stealth mechanics become more and more obvious, the lack of autosaves/manual saves stop being a legitimate way to make certain sections tense and terrifying to get through, and more hair-tearigingly frustrating due to you dying over and over again and having to redo entire sections, you start noticing the weird quirks in the AI behavior and how erratic it can be (sometimes it'll do its regular sweeping patterns around areas, sometimes it'll just duck up a vent halfway across the map then instantly teleport to your location in seconds for no reason), and so on.

Overall, it's a solid 6-8 hour horror game that the devs decided to stretch to a mediocre 15 hour horror game.

Mozg

Arcane
I still really want an A:I/SS2/Dead Space where the ship has simulated systems and you actually have a reason to go fix the generators so life support won't shut off or your orbit won't keep decaying because it will really happen in gameplay instead of just being the next checkbox the voice on the radio gives you. Then give the player five different problems to solve at the same time so moving through your Metroidvania'd derelict ship is gameplay too.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The Quest is on sale. Anyone play it? Is it any good? Never played the game. Looks beautiful, but with some of these open world games, they get pretty boring. Anyone know if the storyline is good?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
-75% off Goat Simulator, the soundtrack and GoatZ DLC, and -50% off the Goat Simulator PAYDAY DLC for the next 44 hours, to celebrate the launch of the Goat Simulator: Waste of Space DLC.

If you have no idea what Goat Simulator is, there is NO EXCUSE for not buying the base game for $2.49 and finding out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom