Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Turjan

Arcane
I'm talking about literally buying upwards of a hundred sack of gems when they were at .60 and reselling them (they are at 1.28 now, probably going to hit 1.50ish later today)
Things like that tend only to work for a few people and fail if too many jump on it. So enjoy your gains.
Like I looked at 7 Grand Steps since that was the one you mentioned and it's one I'm vaguely interested in, but it's currently going for 1,500 gems. At 60 cents per 1k that'd be faaaaaairly reasonable but if it was just selling on the store for 90 cents I'd probably skip it because Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble (Mousechief's other game) has been in a bundle before and I don't really care about 7 Steps enough to wanna throw a dollar at it while horrible bundles exist.
7 Grand Steps had also been in a Humble Bundle already, though in a $6 tier, and I gave it a pass at that time. I'll probably just stick to cards and ignore the gem business (I only turned one stupid background into gems).

Multi-headed Cow

(I only turned one stupid background into gems).
Yep, that's what I did too, just to see how it worked. My 100-gem bid actually has me placing for 7 Steps but I imagine it'll get bid up before I get anything from it. I mean shit, earlier this evening I was watching it and the winning bid was 1,501 gems. Current high bid is 1,800 gems. THEY'RE MANIACS I TELL YOU.

Turjan

Arcane
Yep, that's what I did too, just to see how it worked. My 100-gem bid actually has me placing for 7 Steps but I imagine it'll get bid up before I get anything from it. I mean shit, earlier this evening I was watching it and the winning bid was 1,501 gems. Current high bid is 1,800 gems. THEY'RE MANIACS I TELL YOU.
Heh, yes. I bid on something and got the cheap badge out of it. Which is probably all this auction will yield for me ;).

LundB

Mistakes were made.
MHC - are you seriously implying you wouldn't both make shittons of free bucks off of gems AND not sell all your cards simultaneously? For shame. You have much to learn goyim!
'shittons' meaning maybe 60-120 bucks if you bought 100-200 sacks, with the risk of being stuck with a bunch of useless gems or having it tank in value for no reason? With a maximum limit of $500 bucks total if everything goes perfectly (because of Steam Wallet limit)? notworththeeffort.jpg

If I want to do that sort of thing I just buy stocks, where you can actually make real money, not max out at the cost of a few nights out in GabeBux. If you find it fun, go ahead and do it I guess, just don't act like it's even remotely worth the time you waste monetarily (at least if you make anything but 3rdworld wage).

Meanwhile between auto-idler (automatically fake-idles in all card games in order of value without any input required on user's part) and the script that lets you one-click sell cards for max buy order or min sell order (just clicked that shit without even thinking while watching TV), I haven't had to put in any effort or pay attention to the Steam market at all, got $40 usd already with ~$224 usd more coming according to Enhanced Steam's remaining card value estimator.

Edit: Also I've seen traders selling 7 Grand Steps for 2.50 routinely, probably even cheaper during sales. You should've just sold those gems you bid on it man.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Once again, are you seriously implying I don't auto-idle my shit games and don't sell my cards when they're at a decent price? lol.

And no, unlike stocks, this is 99.99% foolproof way to get ~50-60 gabenbucks. Anyone with an ounce of market sense would realize that once the auctions started the price would increase drastically - especially with shit like that hilarious holiday profile extracting a lot of gems right out of the system. My only regret is not just going in harder and taking care of my steam expenses for the next few years. As for the effort, it really wasn't very hard to put in a buy order for the gems, and it won't be hard to put in a sell order later today. That's like... 4 clicks, and a few keystrokes.

Gozma

Arcane
This stuff frightens and confuses me as a simple unfrozen caveman because I worry I will be forced to bother with it at some point instead of just paying 5 bucks for 3 year old AAA games/5 bucks for 1 year old indies

LundB

Mistakes were made.
itt

307kfHS.png

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
This stuff frightens and confuses me as a simple unfrozen caveman because I worry I will be forced to bother with it at some point instead of just paying 5 bucks for 3 year old AAA games/5 bucks for 1 year old indies

Why would you be forced to deal with it? It's just a fun mini event for a few days before the main sale.

Bruticis

I melted basically every emote and background I own, which is a lot considering I'm level 54 and hadn't sold any of this shit in the past. I decided to cash out now as I'm not going to chance letting a few million retards crash my monies (also MHC scared the hell out of my when he started calling out the gems dropping cent by cent in chat). I made $101.34 in 3 days, thanks Gaben! Oh and went ahead and won some shitty game just for the badge. Game was $19.99 and published by Atari so bundle chance is low, got it for 1600 gems, good enough for now I guess.

Multi-headed Cow

(also MHC scared the hell out of my when he started calling out the gems dropping cent by cent in chat)
Hey, hey! How was I to know that the euros would value Steam-made funny money more than their actual currency, raising the price up to $1.30 while you slept? I mean I should've known, but still.

amdus

Arbiter
Sold ~120 cards got me 12 GabeN eurojewshekels. Any tips which items give most of GabeN gems? For comparison "The Campaign Series: Fall Weiss" emoticon and background nets only 20 gems each :negative:

Multi-headed Cow

Sold ~120 cards got me 12 GabeN eurojewshekels. Any tips which items give most of GabeN gems? For comparison "The Campaign Series: Fall Weiss" emoticon and background nets only 20 gems each :negative:
If you want gems you'd probably be better off just buying sacks of 1,000 gems. Previous Steam sale backgrounds give 100 gems each and are going for (Roughly) 12 cents a pop, so that ends up basically the same. Not terribly likely you'll find something going under-value since there are terrifying Steam market bots that scoop shit up.

amdus

Arbiter
Thx Cow, hoped for some profit but like always i'm late to the party. Time to go back to auto-idling games for card drops.

Bruticis

UGH, major disaster for cheap +1 shit.
As most of you know, our developer tools suggest pricing based on market research and purchasing power parity. In the case of territories such as Russia, Brazil, and SE Asia, we suggested pricing that is lower than the direct USD conversion. This is based on our assessment of actual pricing of comparable products in that market. Recently Rubles have hit an all-time low which has been a concern of many game developers. We are still assessing the market to see if suggesting new prices in Russia is right for customers who live in that market. We do not think that pricing based on currency conversion only is the right way to approach the Russian market necessarily.

What we are doing immediately in response to the Ruble drop is limiting trading and gifting from Russia to prevent people from taking advantage of the situation. We have been applying a gifting and trading lock of this type on all newly created packages on Steam since mid-2014. Today we have propped a change that will affect all packages on Steam which will not allow them to be unpacked to an account, if gifted or traded from a lower priced region to a higher priced region. This change is not retroactive and only affects new purchases. It also will not affect customers in that region from gifting a copy to other people in that same region. All customers will have proper warning when they are purchasing a gift prior to checkout in those regions as well. We will continue to assess the situation and make changes if necessary in the future. If you have any questions please feel free to write us via the contact form via the Steamworks Development site - Documentation & Help -> Contact Steam Publishing."
And some sad and horrible proof:
hQM1IDV.png

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
RIP. So many great indie titles I was looking forward to buy... now they'll have to wait another couple of years.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Russkie pricing was pretty much the only thing saving the last few steam sales. Of course the fucking ruble crash just had to happen days before the sale.

Fuck all those boring people on the plane, this is the true Russian atrocity. Time to bring back the Cold War and make it go hot. Assassinate Putin. Launch fucking everything we've got at those commie shits. They went too far this time.

112009_modernwarfare2_obs06--article_image.jpg

article-0-1900F8BF000005DC-851_634x415.jpg

Nuclear-Launch-Detected.jpg

c4_launch.jpg

Trident_II_missile_image.jpg

ICBM-launch.jpg

w76_300.jpg

363676_nuke.jpg

NLry7g8.jpg

yjlWOIb.jpg

b1AChRS.jpg

Last edited:

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
This is kinda off topic but why is it that every time I click on a Steam link on Codex the webpage is always in potato?

Jn5Y3bc.png

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Put 5 euros in the wallet, bought 5k gems and got 3 games, got 950 gems left. Depths of Peril, Din's Curse and Codename Panzers: Cold War. Much cheaper then getting them on sale. I might get 2k more gems to get another game I have in mind.

amdus

Arbiter
UGH, major disaster for cheap +1 shit.
As most of you know, our developer tools suggest pricing based on market research and purchasing power parity. In the case of territories such as Russia, Brazil, and SE Asia, we suggested pricing that is lower than the direct USD conversion. This is based on our assessment of actual pricing of comparable products in that market. Recently Rubles have hit an all-time low which has been a concern of many game developers. We are still assessing the market to see if suggesting new prices in Russia is right for customers who live in that market. We do not think that pricing based on currency conversion only is the right way to approach the Russian market necessarily.

What we are doing immediately in response to the Ruble drop is limiting trading and gifting from Russia to prevent people from taking advantage of the situation. We have been applying a gifting and trading lock of this type on all newly created packages on Steam since mid-2014. Today we have propped a change that will affect all packages on Steam which will not allow them to be unpacked to an account, if gifted or traded from a lower priced region to a higher priced region. This change is not retroactive and only affects new purchases. It also will not affect customers in that region from gifting a copy to other people in that same region. All customers will have proper warning when they are purchasing a gift prior to checkout in those regions as well. We will continue to assess the situation and make changes if necessary in the future. If you have any questions please feel free to write us via the contact form via the Steamworks Development site - Documentation & Help -> Contact Steam Publishing."
And some sad and horrible proof:
hQM1IDV.png
how_the_gaben_stole_christmas_by_tentaquiltv-d58wxe2.png

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT! I READ IT ON A VERY RELIABLE BLOG!

hOvdqbr.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom