Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Squidhead

Scholar
Broken radio warning: Add Augmented Steam to your browser, and use isthereanydeal. I barely buy games during sales, and just get some when they reach an all time low price.
gg.deals is better than isthereanydeal IMO. It includes keyshops which ITAD doesn't.
Tbh most keyshops are untrustworthy, at least the grey market ones. Many people have had keys revoked after it turned out they were purchased with stolen credit cards or were misappropriated review keys resold on the grey market. You don't risk your account over it or anything, but you'll lose the game.
10 years of key shopping and I've only had an issue twice of keys not working but getting a replacement in 24 hours time. Never once had a key revoked.

This spiel you just gave is the same automated response polygon/Kotaku programmed into every pc gamer/redditor.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Broken radio warning: Add Augmented Steam to your browser, and use isthereanydeal. I barely buy games during sales, and just get some when they reach an all time low price.
gg.deals is better than isthereanydeal IMO. It includes keyshops which ITAD doesn't.
Tbh most keyshops are untrustworthy, at least the grey market ones. Many people have had keys revoked after it turned out they were purchased with stolen credit cards or were misappropriated review keys resold on the grey market. You don't risk your account over it or anything, but you'll lose the game.
Legit stores have that happen too.

Never had a key revoked and if I did then I'd still have saved more across the grey market than I would lose rebuying a single game on steam. I bought Haiku the robot for 77p on a grey market site today. It's £10.50 on steam in the sale. There's no way to justify spending that much more money.

Elttharion

Learned
The two times I had problems with keyshops they refunded me in a couple of hours and I never had a revoked key. Then again I only use old sellers with lots of transactions and 9.5+ ratings. I also only use keyshops to buy bundled games, usually stuff that is part of humble monthly but I only want one or two games so the full bundle isnt worth it.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
If I pay money for a game I'd rather have it go to the devs than some shady grey market resellers.

You might as well pirate instead of giving money to the grey market.
Charge me a fair price and I'll pay it.

Speaking of which. I picked up the Panzer Dragoon remake and it has issues detecting the controller. Known issue that hasn't been fixed in 3 years. Guess these devs deserve my money too.

REhorror

Educated
Already bought 3 games: Age of Decadence (Steam ver for all da achievements), Touhou SouzouengiV (probably best Touhou fan RPG) and Refind Self (personality test RPG).

Sad to see how shit the Steam awards Finalists are, oh well.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Speaking of which. I picked up the Panzer Dragoon remake and it has issues detecting the controller. Known issue that hasn't been fixed in 3 years. Guess these devs deserve my money too.
Just pirate if you don't think the devs deserve your money. Do key resellers deserve it? LOL no.

Piracy saves you even more money and is the morally superior choice too.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Just pirate if you don't think the devs deserve your money. Do key resellers deserve it? LOL no.

Piracy saves you even more money and is the morally superior choice too.
I pirate a lot of stuff but they don't have cloud saves and I switch between PC and steam deck

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I pay money for a game I'd rather have it go to the devs than some shady grey market resellers.

Charge me a fair price and I'll pay it.

That one is on you, if you know the game has issues.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

There is also the criminality element to grey market keyshops. The shadier keyshops are relaxed about, for example, keys being acquired with fraudulent credit cards. Software keys are the next best thing to a immigrant-staffed nail salon for money laundering and so a load of that goes on too.

It's absolutely more moral to pirate than support reprobates.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's more like buying games in a second-hand store of old than selling stolen keys or whatever. Devs never saw any money from that either. It's the only modern way of getting truly cheap keys since they are not controlled by the pricing syndicate. You can tell, because each time a game has been part of a bundle, the price drops to scraps.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People buy bundles and sell game keys to earn a small profit.

In the previous month Humble Choice had only one game that interested me and that was Prodeus, but instead of paying 12 bucks for the whole bundle I went to Kinguin and got the key for 3 bucks.

Its baffling to me that there are people who think this is worse then piracy.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
People buy bundles and sell game keys to earn a small profit.

In the previous month Humble Choice had only one game that interested me and that was Prodeus, but instead of paying 12 bucks for the whole bundle I went to Kinguin and got the key for 3 bucks.

Its baffling to me that there are people who think this is worse then piracy.
This is basically what I do. Or people buy it when games are on deep sale and list it after for a 20% profit or so.

I would also be inclined to think money launderers and credit card thieves don't notice the $3s you spent. It's a big difference for you and makes no difference to them.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Little late to the share party but this does pretty much show my gaming tastes (though I don't use Steam a lot):

Screenshot (1).png

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Here's a bunch of games I consider to be worth buying. I like finding old Triple A games under £4 (the lowest price steam can search) and stocking up on them during Christmas. If others could list games they recommend the same way we may find some gems.

Elttharion

Learned

This game is a ridiculously good fast paced FPS.

I am probably going to pick up these

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom