Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Sarathiour

Cipher
The continous decline and fall of western civilization.

eppogTx.jpg

24ivKOh.jpg

Unironically the most effective measure against piracy.

Caim

Arcane
Unironically the most effective measure against piracy.
Kind of encourages piracy IMO you'll see things like pirates cutting the audio files down to just english and making half the file size vanish.
Honestly that seems like a smart thing to do: make English the default and make all other languages free downloads. Unless there's reasons like Valve wanting more money if you do something like that, it's a reasonable thing for a game of this size. And unless you're some kind of omniglot, want to make comparisons or install a mod where the elf exclusively speaks Russian you'll only need one language pack.

Modron

Arcane
Honestly that seems like a smart thing to do: make English the default and make all other languages free downloads. Unless there's reasons like Valve wanting more money if you do something like that, it's a reasonable thing for a game of this size. And unless you're some kind of omniglot, want to make comparisons or install a mod where the elf exclusively speaks Russian you'll only need one language pack.
Yeah would be nice if various texture resolutions and language soundtracks were optional dlcs so you could pick and choose which get installed. Don't have a 4K monitor don't install the 7-50 extra gigs of 4k textures and movies etc. Only game I've seen do this though is KCD with its optional free dlcs.

Yeah would be nice if various texture resolutions and language soundtracks were optional dlcs so you could pick and choose which get installed. Don't have a 4K monitor don't install the 7-50 extra gigs of 4k textures and movies etc. Only game I've seen do this though is KCD with its optional free dlcs.
It used to be more of an issue like 10 years ago, Dragon Age 2 and Skyrim included those extra texture DLCs separatedly because they were meant to be some sort of gift to people with money. But now it's assumed you'll have a monster PC if you wanna game, mostly because the GPU war has to be fought in some way and "innovation" means fucking over the customer in this day and age.

lightbane

Arcane
Honestly that seems like a smart thing to do: make English the default and make all other languages free downloads.
IIRC it used to be like this decades ago. I remember playing XCOM1, switching to another language for testing purposes, and Steam updating (I guess installing) the necessary language.

Endemic

Arcane
Honestly that seems like a smart thing to do: make English the default and make all other languages free downloads.
IIRC it used to be like this decades ago. I remember playing XCOM1, switching to another language for testing purposes, and Steam updating (I guess installing) the necessary language.

It asks you to select your language on the initial startup, not sure if the files are downloaded separately.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I noticed STEAM has this but GOG probably never will: ONLINE COOP! Hmmm… get your arcade stick.

I’ve always loved CAPCOM old beat-em-ups.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
On GOG original and remasters were separate (for Quake1 at least) while on Steam original Quake 2 turns into remaster. Strange...
Meanwhine Ground Zero & Reckoning expansions remains in the library. For people with OCDs or other mental issues that might be a problem?
Hope it won't remove achievements like with Quake 1 remastered.
And some of them are:

Shut Down the Core​

Quake II 64: Enter an alternate timeline, and destroy the Guardians​

Disc Collector​

Call of the Machine: Collect all six Data Discs, and defeat the Strogg Creator​

thinking.png

edit - new power up
Compass
it shows you the way a'la Dead Space + marker through the walls
popamole.png

at least iron maidens got physics

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Yeah it's just people shitting on the game for it being a greedy cashgrab and it replacing Overwatch 1. Was to be expected.

lightbane

Arcane
It asks you to select your language on the initial startup, not sure if the files are downloaded separately.
During the initial start-up, yes. Afterwards, to change language you had to manually pick it up from Steam itself, moment in which the game "updated" to switch languages, removing/adding files as necessary if I'm not mistaken.

Modron

Arcane
IIRC it was thing 2 decades before that even, at least I think I have the inkling of a memory as to being able to select which additional languages to install with some install wizards in the 90s.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom