Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The state of physical gaming libraries

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
No one didtributed Micro-SD cards? Tbh, those remind me of carts or cards of the old days for various consoles. My larger looking SD cards remind me more of diskettes than the micro's I suppose.

Oh man, I still have some of those dinky cdS as well.

Hell Swarm

Educated
No one didtributed Micro-SD cards? Tbh, those remind me of carts or cards of the old days for various consoles. My larger looking SD cards remind me more of diskettes than the micro's I suppose.

Micro SDs are too fragile. Windows comes on a usb stick now. The problem with all of them is the internets just easier. Steam doesn't have to arrange labour to carry boxes. There's no reason to sell usb sticks when the customer can buy one and make their own game back up any way.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer

Problem with those is they require an adapter of some kind. Not as ubiquitous as USB.
But i don't imagine they cost a lot to produce as the switch more or less uses sd cards.

It would take a company that specializes in fulfilling bespoke orders for boxed versions of various games with willing cooperation from the developers/publishers. I know for certain I would rebuy certain old Big-box titles if some company went to the trouble of putting them together with all the bells and whistles for a reasonable price, for no more than $80-100 say. Likewise, there are plenty of games that I'd pay for on disc that were never before released on disc, just so I'd have a proper physical backup if anything ever happened to Steam or whatever other company was selling them. Primordia for example.

911 Jumper

Educated
Never really worried about my physical games (I look after them).
As a console-only gamer, my main concerns have always been hardware-related. Controllers breaking, chips overheating, disc drives failing, etc. These are problems that will only become harder to resolve as time passes.

Hell Swarm

Educated
It would take a company that specializes in fulfilling bespoke orders for boxed versions of various games with willing cooperation from the developers/publishers. I know for certain I would rebuy certain old Big-box titles if some company went to the trouble of putting them together with all the bells and whistles for a reasonable price, for no more than $80-100 say. Likewise, there are plenty of games that I'd pay for on disc that were never before released on disc, just so I'd have a proper physical backup if anything ever happened to Steam or whatever other company was selling them. Primordia for example.
It exists but the company is run by literally faggots and don't deserve your money.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So.... a new Titan by the gamer for the gamer needs to arise and gobble up IPs and create the Gamer's Paradise that isn't only preservation but something more unaffected by woke fuckers and agendas or greed. A high order of impossibility for a gaming philanthropist and Samaritan for all. That gaming utopian platform just probably will never be unless said individual is beyond a trillionaire looking to do this.

Meh... i have more games downloaded than a hundred lifetimes could complete. Physical I have enough for more than a few lifetimes. Perhaps it is a nonissue

Esp when my lust for gaming is gone atm. I'm just a 'member-berry' old fart now.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
I wouldn't mind physical releases as a box with a USB drive or something, as you see with some games. I think Ion Fury came on one.
basically non-viable for sizable modern games. cost is too high, medium is too unreliable, R/W speeds suck so larger games will take a long time to write, and when reading it's likely faster to just download it. if you're producing a novelty that's functionally trash, you might as well just produce a set of DVDs.
purchasing more reliable purpose built flash ROMs like what switch cartridges use is just too out of reach for smaller studios and too much of a gamble for bigger publishers to bother with.
Are they making USB C thumb drives like the faster USB C cables?
yes, they're typically called portable SSDs though.
usb-a on usb 3.1 is plenty fast enough (~1GB/s) already that it's not really a limiting factor compared to most flash and/or controllers, at least not yet.

Hell Swarm

Educated
yes, they're typically called portable SSDs though.
Kind of the problem with all the portable USB stuff. There's barely any reason in cost not to use a USB stick or a portable SSD. They're both pretty cheap and can carry either a single small game or a full selection. There's never a real reason to use anything else outside of needing to use minimal space so a micro SD goes on the phone instead. Portable SSDs are fast enough to run games and have okay loading times while costing less than a switch game already. You could say size is a factor but lets be realistic here. None of us are transporting games via portable SSD unless it's a business trip and you have one in your lap top case any way. Modern storage is so large on machines you're spoilt for choice already. Even the biggest games (that aren't MMOs) are only 100 gig ish, so you're fitting about 5 of those onto a small modern drive. And most games aren't breaking 10 gig.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

I fell asleep watching this but I did catch that he said something to the effect that we are in the biggest era of gaming and it doesn't look to be slowing down. So, 2028 for next gen consoles? Are some companies thinking of ditching the machine for just online service only? Yeah, Stadia fucked that up amongst others. So, just controllers sold or some shit? First the media then the devices down to nigh nothing? At the same time, I thought I read or watched even gen Millen to alpha are getting into retro gaming? Is this just another fad making its rounds? I think this video is being overly optimistic. I think the industry might crash a bit.

Saldrone

Novice
Looks like that companies want to completely erase physical format in favor of digital purchases packed with DRM in order to have complete control over their own products.

You'll own nothing, and be happy.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
HA!

And the digital Jolly Rogers will wage war.

DOWN WITH THE EMPIRE!!!

+M:M:hypeship:+M:M

There really needs to be a jolly roger on that flag.

Ash

Arcane
I have a massive physical collection in the attic collecting dust, back from the days when games were good. Now I just have everything centralized and digital on one PC, emulation for all the different consoles, handheld, DOS etc. Zero clutter, optimal convenience, and even often the best way to play them thanks to config options and mods/romhacks.

I am dreading digging all that shit up and selling it. A monumental task for what...a couple grand?

Cologno

Educated
Man, somethings wrong with a guy when knocking some dust off, taking a few pictures, typing a little, and waddling his ass over to the post office is monumental. I mean, shit, seems like minimal work for a nice new 4k OLED or upper tier GPU.

Ash

Arcane
I workout x4 per week and often run/swim for cardio too. I am just not very motivated by money. Dumb to not be that in this harsh world, but it is what it is.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I have a massive physical collection in the attic collecting dust, back from the days when games were good. Now I just have everything centralized and digital on one PC, emulation for all the different consoles, handheld, DOS etc. Zero clutter, optimal convenience, and even often the best way to play them thanks to config options and mods/romhacks.

I am dreading digging all that shit up and selling it. A monumental task for what...a couple grand?
I have the same issue but a couple of grand is still a couple of grand. You can change your life with that money. Maybe not in a massive way but in a real quality of life way.
I workout x4 per week and often run/swim for cardio too. I am just not very motivated by money. Dumb to not be that in this harsh world, but it is what it is.
And yet you're still fat and posting on codex..

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Just clean and catalog a few every day. You'd be surprised which games offer a higher price esp complete in box with all extras. Some collectors even want the shrink wrap. That warranty card is gold. Some even want the receipt you got. I doubt they want the dust but you never know.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Just clean and catalog a few every day. You'd be surprised which games offer a higher price esp complete in box with all extras. Some collectors even want the shrink wrap. That warranty card is gold. Some even want the receipt you got. I doubt they want the dust but you never know.
TBH I'm going to take photos and throw them up on collectors groups asking what's worth selling off. Space is more of a premium than the profit. If someone else can enjoy my childhood games then all the better.

Ash

Arcane
I have the same issue but a couple of grand is still a couple of grand. You can change your life with that money. Maybe not in a massive way but in a real quality of life way.

What? Where are you, Africa? I am in the land of decline and a couple grand is not even a month's living expenses.

Hell Swarm

Educated

What? Where are you, Africa? I am in the land of decline and a couple grand is not even a month's living expenses.
Sorry to hear you're a poor fag unable to afford bread any more. Try living in a real country

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom