Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read The sound of a thousand Cleves devouring your family: Let's read Attack of the Titans!

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
This is going to be a short LR of a relatively unknown manga that should be right up the Codex' alley, as I work up the courage to start a Prelude to Darkness LP. It does not have the delicious mindfuckery and deliberate stomping of human dignity which characterized Freesia. However, rest assured, there will be enough grimdark, despair, and graphic violence to fulfill your monocled needs. I am utilizing kwan logic, and since there is no graphic sex, this thread will not have an NSFW tag.

Without further ado, here's Chapter 1, in which nobody gets eaten alive. This oversight by the author will be remedied shortly.

yLEyu.jpg

lvcum.jpg

l0ckc.jpg

GD8me.jpg

JMcrD.jpg

STIow.png

XsCwt.png

TBDTN.png

2W1Nl.png

Silly manboons, thinking they can defeat Cleve like that.

cBWPc.png

8AyJn.png

C9ca4.png

WPIOj.png

1i3Er.png

cdIO8.png

FrcGS.png

DHFvN.png

4kiza.jpg

n8vwp.png

zZeZO.png

4yN7d.png

Go8HO.png

wxQYM.png

7Jywr.png

jmQsG.png

hFbKX.png

HbRUf.png

yTDF9.png

4BaMx.png

4rjIw.png

cK96J.png

:smug:

1cCw3.png

gDVyq.png

PcrFs.png

CEmdf.png

This guy wouldn't make a proper Gray Warden. Sissy.

tT4PY.png

lIbGT.png

yMPhe.png

QKbmC.png

gWzta.png

p3kN0.png

8fJah.png

kpzzT.png

5Qmes.png

zqzHO.png

x9rI6.png

cz1Yv.png

czRnc.png

lvtap.png

ri0kC.png

aq9Ux.jpg

TODdS.png

aZsis.png

xeKLl.png

These chapters are long, so only one per update.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The drawings are kinda shitty in a charming way. Signing up for this one too.

Erebus

Arcane
Interesting idea. But I wouldn't want to join the Scouting Legion if the best possible plan they can come up with to learn things about creatures 100 times bigger than a human is to attack one of them.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Erm, but what is the point of doing let's read for a series that are not completed yet? Reading the ongoing manga is horrible because usually you read half of the mange for, like, couple of days and then you have to wait for couple of years (at least) to see the rest.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Fuck you, I was going to only do Volume 1, and pretend it ends there. Well, I'm gonna do it anyway, except the ending won't be as fun now. Bastard.

Interesting idea. But I wouldn't want to join the Scouting Legion if the best possible plan they can come up with to learn things about creatures 100 times bigger than a human is to attack one of them.

The context of that situation is not further explained, but they do know how to kill titans. Their method just has a high fatality rate.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Truthfully, this chapter isn't that exciting either, but at least someone gets eaten. If you watch Extra Credits, you can tell this is a good story, since it follows a three act structure - and this chapter marks the end of act 1.

NVnT7.png

Cfnhp.png

sMmWM.png

t0Gwm.png

Yy75u.png

ouGpN.png

b80G7.png

uejW2.png

eWVBV.png

KbkHx.png

2amhd.png

ZlCzA.png

QRJwN.png

8iwtm.png

bf8cB.png

fay5t.png

JnanT.png

UDXDt.png

GmnQ6.png

kzQnr.png

7gDgJ.png

jtvwv.png

n0Ctu.png

tsqQZ.png

G1tRW.png

JSSA4.png

XCuMy.png

eA3iA.png

1bQub.png

RAJ4A.png

DeORq.png

R7fCt.png

ZX5Pn.png

TqNQ8.png

xrOXA.png

vi4Wd.png

BQyKS.png

0LXYk.png

ADXzT.png

Now, it's time to take advantage of the great weather over here in thirdworldia, and grill some steak.

Destroid

Arcane
Metaphor for Japanese youth relationships with figures of authority?

I read ahead a few chapters, can't say I liked it much, despite the interesting premise.

Radisshu

Prophet
I read ahead as well and I agree, it got boring rather quickly. Which is too bad, because those titans are so fucking beautifully bizarre and creepy, like something straight out of Drakengard.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Too bad you guys didn't like it. I don't think it's amazing or anything, and definitely has a bunch of problems - crappy pacing and bullshit superpowered protagonist to name a few. But it does some things really well, I thought. For example, it kills characters and presents the whole ordeal in a way that makes them feel very vulnerable, but without descending into excessive desensitizing grimdark. And it plays the "elite order fighting against supernatural menace" trope very well.

Or whatever, I just like that moment where someone does the typical action movie cool shit and just gets eaten casually. So fun to watch.

Bahamut

Arcane
Well i actually finished reading all available issues, so indeed the pacing is fucked up, i skipped much uninteresting parts, as mentioned characters die alot,
its get bit more interesting later upon discovering that more characters than the protagonist have that "special power", and that somone was standing behind that colossus titan attack that took place in first parts

Also drawing is crappy, but somehow i like that grotesque look of titans, but still i agree for this part

Or whatever, I just like that moment where someone does the typical action movie cool shit and just gets eaten casually. So fun to watch.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Anyway, I'm gonna finish what I set out to do, if only for the awesome ending.

Here's Chapter 3, where everyone wants to join the NKVD.

9TBNr.png

hKE3Z.png

RLyiF.png

G8959.png

1yYPL.png

6cvXm.png

rFf1G.png

zyEoI.png

dlrJ5.png

1eYLQ.png

bVGs1.png

k5WaE.png

YjVt5.png

xBXCp.png

YBn5x.png

si9ca.png

XgYlK.png

iudyr.png

Cwz4x.png

mrufh.png

CUef6.png

oLLOi.png

rkMVf.png

yIEFk.png

MjwGS.png

KtjkI.png

485WD.png

hyAPZ.png

4PNzJ.png

lxDGE.png

IGiwm.png

ii5q1.png

lsVmc.jpg

hSBwz.png

aXduB.png

cCCaj.png

4cT28.png

dVWBu.png

OuJFr.png

ImO27.png

18obn.png

qOoKo.png

EVUsP.png

QRZxE.jpg

naUxV.png

AH9sZ.png

All things considered, it's nice to see an awesome batman dude owned by a bunch of loose tools. :smug:

Radisshu

Prophet
It's only a certain type of titan that's skinless, the others just look like fucked up disproportional bizarre humans. But, I mean, with skin and hair.

Destroid

Arcane
Anyone else noticed that so many mangas seem to deal with the same depressing crap over and over again? Must be every second mangaka is a butthurt architecture major who can't get over their butthurt from being pushed into doing something practical by their parents, when all they want to draw is lolis with their panties showing.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Anyone else noticed that so many mangas seem to deal with the same depressing crap over and over again? Must be every second mangaka is a butthurt architecture major who can't get over their butthurt from being pushed into doing something practical by their parents, when all they want to draw is lolis with their panties showing.

I noticed a lot of them seem to be born of an interesting idea, with decent artwork and passable writing, but eventually end up running too long and repeating themselves ad nauseum. Or dragging shit out for no reason other than not wanting to take a risk and start something new. The pitfall of being inherently serialized, I suppose.

But I don't find them depressing in general. I don't know why you single out Nihei either, he's just claustrophobia-inducing.

Destroid

Arcane
I really like Nihei, or rather I really like Blame!. His other works aren't nearly as good, although the art is fantastic still.

It's probably just the mangas I read lately on here, this one, the suicide island one and the zombie apocalyse one were all pretty dark and depressing, they put me in a sour mood.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Have you tried Dorohedoro? First thing that comes to mind of the "weird, but not depressing" variety.

Or, you could just:
8Qs1e.jpg

:troll:

Radisshu

Prophet
Dorohedoro is awesome. Haven't kept up with it though. It's drawn by a female mangaka, which is kind of unexpected.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Allright, here's the final update.

Chapter 4: :smug:

LJ0yD.jpg

aUnEh.png

QijgY.jpg

pcI1O.jpg

hhSY8.png

WyNZn.png

kMV9g.png

Qxsic.png

TVwBf.png

1u0tT.png

i5SOi.png

LmHMK.png

ePdJC.png

C77Z8.png

cVmKJ.png

Kp7ds.png

b1NcO.png

MwwBV.png

D8GlF.png

yhnvU.png

eHKMi.png

vmSiq.png

GG0Jc.png

jB0nh.png

Uxybx.png

mltsw.png

KhQpa.png

yUd9i.png

AmSfE.png

Cb9tv.png

aDw81.png

sWhAe.png

bxfRt.png

tO1dP.png

y92Ys.png

96M7u.png

WgQQC.png

qgOSm.png

gyXG5.png

7lepq.png

ke5cL.png

vqCIO.png

CHyG0.png

5HLm5.png

GtfGx.png

lIm3D.png

EmNub.png

LsLiQ.png

:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom