Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Shadow Sun by Ossian Studios (iOS/Android)

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Looks shit. Wonder if it plays like shit as well. Maybe story is a redeeming factor, but I am oblivious to see it on PC.

Would probably like to see something from this guys as exclusive PC cRPG game.

OTOH, knowing how well their deal with Atari went, and how long they where developing this mobile game, I think, I don't care...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Because like it or not, mobiles are also a platform for games. And people play on them. But they need more complex RPGs. I'd kill for a working port of Might and Magic on Android (yes I know you can run dosbox, but the controls are not tailored for the touchscreen).

People play match 3 and physics puzzlers on phones, they don't want their next 40 hour RPG to be on a fucking phone. The whole idea is retarded.

Port this to PC for a tenner and I'll try it out.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Because like it or not, mobiles are also a platform for games. And people play on them. But they need more complex RPGs. I'd kill for a working port of Might and Magic on Android (yes I know you can run dosbox, but the controls are not tailored for the touchscreen).

People play match 3 and physics puzzlers on phones, they don't want their next 40 hour RPG to be on a fucking phone. The whole idea is retarded.

Belive me, I'd much rather play Might and Magic while taking a dump, than playing Cut the Rope. :D

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

My guess is they maybe think phone game standards are lower, and it's a lot cheaper to make a phone game. But yeah, it's dumb. Maybe they decided to hop on the gold rush train just because phone games are huge now, or something, and they can fill the game with overpriced microtransactions.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

My guess is they maybe think phone game standards are lower, and it's a lot cheaper to make a phone game. But yeah, it's dumb. Maybe they decided to hop on the gold rush train just because phone games are huge now, or something, and they can fill the game with overpriced microtransactions.

I can't haul my desktop around with me everywhere. Tablets allow me to play games even while I'm doing something social like watching a TV show at a friend's house.

Given the choice, I would rather play this than Angry Birds. Even if it is a simpler type of RPG, it is appropriate because tablets are all about multitasking, of using software while still interacting with the world around you.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I can't haul my desktop around with me everywhere. Tablets allow me to play games even while I'm doing something social like watching a TV show at a friend's house.

You're being real social, playing a game on your tablet. I'd kick you out of my house.

Well, my circle of friends isn't too fussy about stuff like that. Unless its something one of us really loves.

That tablet and the television are really just placeholders for those stretches of time where one of us doesn't have something to say.

So Ossian Studios is making me a placeholder game (or would if I didn't use Android).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That tablet and the television are really just placeholders for those stretches of time where one of us doesn't have something to say.

Ignoring 2013 social behaviors, how does an RPG fit as a "between conversations paying half attention" kind of game? I just don't see it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fallout 3 was a great game. The problem with it for old fans is that it couldn't take them home again because in their experience the Fallout concept had already been perfectly realized in previous entires of the series.

If Bethesda had patched up some of their usual weaknesses, those fans might have conceded it was a decent game, but that was all it could have ever been for them.

/notrocketscience

Borelli

Arcane
Middle eastern setting is the only thing that looks good about this game.

Middle eastern setting is the only thing that looks good about this game.

Fair. I suppose one of the advantages of monopolization is that you can force the masses to accept the genre on your terms.

Only holds if the art direction doesn't get too confused.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Fallout 3 was a great game. The problem with it for old fans is that it couldn't take them home again because in their experience the Fallout concept had already been perfectly realized in previous entires of the series.

If Bethesda had patched up some of their usual weaknesses, those fans might have conceded it was a decent game, but that was all it could have ever been for them.

/notrocketscience

Ugh, there was nothing decent about it, even if it launched bug free.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Previews: http://gamebanshee.com/news/112871-the-shadow-sun-previews.html

RPGFan:

The Shadow Sun uses the Unity 3D engine to bring Shar to life. The 3D polygonal characters and the 3D polygonal backgrounds they interact with look and animate nicely on the iPad. There are some seams and blockiness here and there, but nothing worse than the game's contemporaries. Stylistically speaking, the desert setting is sparser and obviously less lush than the greenery associated with typical fantasy fare, but that's what gives the setting its uninviting atmosphere since, after all, the land and its people do not want you there. Speaking of people, they generally have more realistic rather than stylistic designs. I do not know yet if I will interact with other sentient races from Middle Eastern lore, like djinn (genies) or scorpion men, but these fantastical beings and creatures promise more creative design.

Adding life to Shar and its inhabitants, both benevolent and hostile, is the trifecta of music, voice, and sound effects. The atmospheric music takes compositional and instrumental influence from traditional Arabian styles and adds that sense of mystery to the adventure. Sometimes, though, music is eschewed in favor of atmospheric sounds, like those that add creepiness to the dank sewers. The best sound effects are reserved for battles with the resonant clanging of weapons. The voice acting consists of short clips throughout the game, with some key story moments featuring more prominent voice work. The only issue I hear thus far is inconsistency with accents, meaning that some Sharians deliver their lines with Middle Eastern accents whereas others maintain western sounding accents.
And Slide to Play:

As you do missions, you also encounter a number of people and monsters to fight. Fighting takes place in real time, with you hacking, shooting, and casting spells while the other members of your party help you out. You can let your comrades do their own thing, or give them commands to make them focus on healing, ranged attacks, or melee encounters.

Enemies drop treasure that you can pick up and to your inventory. You’ll find all kinds of weapons and apparel, which you can sell or put in a chest back at your hideout. As you earn experience points and level up, you can pump points into your stats and skills to beef up your character. There’s an action bar at the bottom of the screen, with slots you can assign different actions, like spells and special attacks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://ossianstudios.com/

The Shadow Sun Live
Thursday, 19 December 2013 02:47

The Shadow Sun has made its worldwide debut in the Apple App Store today! If you’ve been itching to play a great iOS RPG over the holidays, with thrilling combat, compelling story, meaningful role-playing choices, and a beautiful world to explore, then look no further. Priced at $7.99 for a limited time holiday sale, grab it while you can before it returns to its regular price of $9.99 on December 28th.

From the Ossian Team:
It was almost 4 years ago exactly (December 2009) that we sat down and decided to go all in and make an iOS RPG the likes of which nobody had ever seen on the Apple App Store. Since that time, many things have changed on the platform, but our vision and persistence never did. WithThe Shadow Sun, we released the deep, story-driven role-playing game we set out to achieve, and we’re extremely proud of the accomplishment. We hope you have fun playing it!​

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id396269166?mt=8

It's released! Infinitron maybe a news post for it?
Downloading now, will write short review when I'm free (probably)

Heh, I'd be crucified if I posted news about an iOS game on the Codex front page.

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
http://ossianstudios.com/

The Shadow Sun Live
Thursday, 19 December 2013 02:47

The Shadow Sun has made its worldwide debut in the Apple App Store today! If you’ve been itching to play a great iOS RPG over the holidays, with thrilling combat, compelling story, meaningful role-playing choices, and a beautiful world to explore, then look no further. Priced at $7.99 for a limited time holiday sale, grab it while you can before it returns to its regular price of $9.99 on December 28th.

From the Ossian Team:
It was almost 4 years ago exactly (December 2009) that we sat down and decided to go all in and make an iOS RPG the likes of which nobody had ever seen on the Apple App Store. Since that time, many things have changed on the platform, but our vision and persistence never did. WithThe Shadow Sun, we released the deep, story-driven role-playing game we set out to achieve, and we’re extremely proud of the accomplishment. We hope you have fun playing it!​

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id396269166?mt=8

Heh, I'd be crucified if I posted news about an iOS game on the Codex front page.
Well yeah didn't think about that. Still, the setting looks pretty interesting to me and there's a lack of rpg for tablets anyway. The only other rpg I can remember now is Shadowrun returns on ios which was pretty good.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Let the ragers rage, it's free publicity and with their past record, those guys definitely deserve it.
Or maybe do that after we know for sure it's a true CRPG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Reviews: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/112937-the-shadow-sun-reviews.html

RPGFan, 74%.

The Shadow Sun is a competent RPG, but there is a veritable sea of competent RPGs out there. Granted, it is an original RPG designed for the iOS platform and not a port of a classic PC title, but there is little here to make me recommend this over classics like Baldur's Gate or Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. The Shadow Sun has a lot of potential and could have been a great game, but it makes the mistake of trying to be both a tightly focused adventure and a semi-sandbox game and not succeeding at either. The Shadow Sun is yet another in the long list of games I've played that I wanted to like, but ultimately did not enjoy. That being said, I do want to see what Ossian Studios comes out with next, because they have the potential to create a truly memorable iOS RPG.

148Apps, 3.5/5.

I was honestly ready to write-off The Shadow Sun when I first started playing it. Thankfully I didn’t (for many reasons), and I’d urge anyone who tries it to resist the urge as well. It’s certainly rough around the edges, especially the interface, but the game underneath it all is quite enjoyable.

TouchArcade, 4/5.

Despite its 3+ year development cycle, Shadow Sun is far from being a ‘perfect’ RPG. However, it doesn’t have to be perfect to be enjoyable. Sure, there are a few areas I would have liked to see improved, but I think Shadow Sun succeeds in the areas that matter the most. With a compelling story, plenty of content, and a character customization system that works, Shadow Sun succeeds in its goal as a Western RPG. I only hope that trend continues and we see future outings.

Gamezebo, 4/5.

Ossian says there is about 10-15 hours of content in The Shadow Sun, and though I didn’t get through it all for this review, I saw enough to say there aren’t too many games like this on iOS right now. Despite some mildly rough edges, there’s plenty here to recommend. And yes, it was largely worth the wait.

Pocket Tactics, 4/5.

If there’s one main problem with a title like The Shadow Sun, it’s that the game is concise. Not unbearably short, mind you, but the epic chords it’s trying to strike clash somewhat with its length and depth, and this depth problem extends to every aspect of the game: loot, leveling, locations, and so on. Even the cleverness of the story is somewhat tempered by a cliffhanger ending which hints a little too strongly at the Continued Adventures of Hero Heroington. What you’re really getting here is one good act out of what could have been a longer, three or four act RPG. If that’s a problem, fair enough, but if you treat The Shadow Sun as a sort of gamey pulp fiction, you’ll find it’s just deep enough. Wanting more of the same out of a title is far better than just wanting more.

Slide to Play, 4/4.

So the original question remains: Is Shadow Sun a game that’s worth playing? For my money, the answer is a resounding yes. While I wish that the graphics and controls were better, The Shadow Sun is one of the most captivating experiences I’ve had with a role-playing game in quite some time. The story, characters, and the world around you are all so vibrant and alive that you can’t help but want more.

Touch, Tap, Play, 8.0/10.

Overall, The Shadow Sun is exactly as I described it earlier: epic. It has a rich, captivating story, characters with enough background details to make you care about them and enough enemies to keep you busy for a long time. A last word of advice before we leave: save often!

Digitally Downloaded, 4.5/5.

That length is my only real complaint about The Shadow Sun, because it is over before I really wanted it to be. As an exclusive mobile RPG it's yet another example of why folks who had previously overlooked mobile platforms for their gaming potential should reconsider that stance. I can only cross my fingers and hope the game is a success and the developers are encouraged to continue building on the interesting fantasy world that they've built and not fully explored.

Pocket Gamer, 8/10.

There are a few other complaints about The Shadow Sun that die-hard dice-chuckers might raise. For instance, despite the freedom to customise your stats, job abilities, and weapon proficiencies, your character is ultimately shoehorned into a traditional mage / rogue / fighter triad.

Also, despite the Unity-powered graphics, the character models are downright polygonal and create the sense that you're playing a high-fantasy version of GoldenEye 64.

But these are minor complaints, and they won't detract from your enjoyment of The Shadow Sun, a smartphone game that has echoes of Skyrim and your favorite tabletop experiences when it hits its stride.

Arcade Sushi, 8.5/10.

But the entire package is so impressive that you won’t even care. This is a full-fledged RPG that you can take with you, just in case you want to escape to another world and become an epic badass. It might seem like a lot for $7.99, but keep in mind that you’re getting content that far exceeds the price. If you’re a fan of RPGs at all, then The Shadow Sun belongs in your Games folder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom