Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Saga of Firedorn Lightbringer: Obsidian caves in to the SJWs

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This would be a uniquely good time for thread splitting
You know what Ninjerk, for you I will put this bonehead on ignore and will try to resist the urge to check for replies. Obviously nothing productive will come of this stupidity when all he can say is how obvious it is he's right for no reason. I hope this will be my last word on the subject.

Ninjerk

Arcane
You know what Ninjerk, for you I will put this bonehead on ignore and will try to resist the urge to check for replies. Obviously nothing productive will come of this stupidity when all he can say is how obvious it is he's right for no reason. I hope this will be my last word on the subject.
Haha, you don't have to put him on ignore. I just think it's funny with how many thread merges and splits happen when no one asks for it that this back-and-forth hiveresque argument has taken over the thread. :lol:

Ulrox

Arbiter

I think this is what happens when you argue with your emotions instead of :"actual common sense". Emotions can be a powerful tool for motivation, but it can also blind you to reality. I respect that you try to appeal to rationality, but personally already realised that this argument was pointless when I saw the :"an idiot like you" repeated 7 times. :lol:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I see. So if it doesn't offend YOU, then they are stupid and wrong for censoring it. As long as you're not hurt, no one is hurt. Got it.

You do know there were polls and threads on Obsidian forums where vast majority of people thought there is nothing wrong with the poem and it should not be censored. Im saying I dont care about you or anyone else being offended, grow a fucking pair. Since when did in this society become normal to censor something just because someones feelings got hurt. Do you even realize for what kind of a world you are cheering for, where everything anyone produces will be checked if someones feeling is hurt. Thats why now you have save spaces in collages because new generation cant stand someone saying something they dont like, the fucking horror.

I never said anything about whether or not it's offensive. I don't particularly care. That's not the issue that's worth talking about.

But that explains their reasoning, there is different view on situation based if its offensive or not, saying you dont care is just like saying a motive for a murder is not important.

"I'm right because I'm right and you're wrong because you don't agree." That's cute, but has no place in a sensible argument.

Im right because I use common sense, you think you are right because you are delusional.

Sooooo your assumption is that no one else was asked to change their submission? :lol:

My assumption is that noone had their submission forcefully changed, thats what happened with the poem in question

If you found out that there were other submissions that were revised, would you be mad about them too? Or is it just this one?

I would be mad if other submissions were revised because some nutjob on internet asked for Obsidian to change them as said fuck you to the backer.

Hahaha. You really don't see the difference? It's more like trying to prove that a suspect owned the murder weapon or that the suspect was wearing unfashionable clothes that day. One is worth talking about - the other is pretty much incidental. You've already agreed that Obsidian can control the content of their game however they want. Therefore, to continue complaining that they shouldn't have controlled this content is nothing but social injustice warrior garbage. Now, to complain about them lying to their fans - that's worth talking about - but the content of what was censored really doesn't matter.

Jesus Christ there is a difference to approach to the issue if Obsidian thought that the poem was offensive and if it was not. Which I will explain further below.

In other words, if you hate Obsidian and refuse to support them because they don't like transvestite jokes (which is true), you're just a dumbass and a hypocrite.

First the joke is not aimed at the tranny but the guy sleeping with it. Second, again since when did we become a society where people can joke only about people who are the same gender, race and sexual orientation as the comedian. Can you provide a list of what is acceptable to joke about so I know for future reference. And as I said, do you really support a world where content of any work will be change the moment someones feelings are hurt.

If you hate Obsidian and refuse to support them because they lie to their customers (which is completely unproven), that would be a valid reason if you could show that they did it.

That they lied is pretty obvious and ill try to explain to you why.

No. I'm saying you need to give a reason - any reason - to show why you're right. You still don't have one, because apparently there isn't one. "Because I'm right" ("it's common sense!") is not a reason; it's an appeal to your authority - but you have no authority.

I gave you enough reasons to which your comment was "I believe in Obsidian because they would never lie to me!"

They admitted that they controlled their content. This was never in dispute - but it's not worth talking about, and anyway you already agreed that that's okay.

Its ok to control content of your product but what, why and how is the problem here.

Why don't their actions make sense? They make perfect sense. Please show where their explanation falls apart.

As for it "being obvious" that they lied, that's just another way of saying there's no evidence. You may also think it's obvious that Santa Claus exists, but I have bad news for you.

This is getting boring. You're saying less and less with each post, hiding behind "common sense" as the justification for everything you don't have an answer to.
yawn.gif

Ill try to explain this in detail for 10 times already, please pay attention this time and try not only to say "Obsidian would never lie!"

OK this is what we know for certain:

1. Someone found a backer poem offensive and contacted the Obsidian.

2. Obsidian announces that they are changing the poem.

3. Obsidian releases press release after fans outcry for changing the poem that they immediately contacted the backer and told him about the controversy and while they didnt want to change it he did.

4. Backer commented on forums that he changed the poem to help out Obsidian but was disappointed because he preferred the old one.

5. Obsidian makes a statement that the poem became part of the game only because they missed it while vetting.

Now lets say you are right and only thing that matters is if Obsidian and noone else found the poem offensive or not.

Lets say that the poem is offensive but lets also say its not about tranny joke, because I cant take seriously that its offensive, and replace it with a message "Kill all Jews" something that we both can agree its offensive.

Now someone finds this in game and contacts Obsidian. Obsidian decide to change it and they release a press release saying they are sorry, they missed it while vetting and that it would never happen otherwise. Thats what Obsidian said in their last statement.

Now look at the first official statement, they said they didnt want to change it but did after they asked the backer and he decided to change it. So tell me if you are owner of a company who release a game containing message "KIll all Jews", would you pull it back immediately and apologize or would you say that you personally have no problem with it and decide to ask backer will he remove it, and if he says no you would let it stay in? Also the backer said that they asked him to change the poem not because they found it offensive but because its making problems for them. So he changed it because he wanted to help Obsidian.

Do you see how this is a problem. First and last statement contradicts each other completely. If they found the poem as offensive as they say it was in the last they would pull it immediately and not ask for permission.

Seeing this common sense will tell you that Obsidian didnt see the poem offensive but unoffensive but decided to change it for different reasons.

Now lets imagine situation where Obsidian thinks that poem is unoffensive.

An idiot finds the poem offensive. You said that you are sure that that person had no ulterior motives. Yet that same person post on twitter on hashtag Killallwhiteman of Killallman (something like that), instead of personally contacting Obsidian to ask about the something he found offensive that person puts Obsidian on spotlight, twitting to everyone, accusing Obsidian of being sexist and demanding the change. That person still was offended even with the new poem but didnt want to push his luck because he thought one victory is enough. You find this person normal, yet I see him as completely insane and delusional individual without any grasp on the real world, so I pretty much understand why you would find him normal.

You say Obsidian had no reason to fear bad publicity. So you have been living under a rock all this time if you dont know extent of SJWs influence in gaming media and all shit that did recently. So is it really hard to understand that Obsidian is a company that just recently had a brush with bankruptcy for God knows which time now and that they put all their hope in this project is actually weary of stepping on SJWs toes or doing anything that could harm their sales, sales which might save or destroy their company.

The both first statement and info from the backer make complete sense if you approach them thinking Obsidian didnt find if offensive but wanted to change it because they feared bad publicity. Hell even their last statement makes sense in a way to make sure SJWs are appeased with what they did.

I actually understand their decision, you can think what Obsidian did was smart or even something they needed to do, they sacrificed a shitty poem to save themselves from a possible massive negative outcry, atlest thats their reasoning.

But you cant say what they did was morally right, to cave in to demands of few lunatics while shitting on fans who supported and made their game possible.

You can say end justifies the means that this will mean more Obsidian games you like and it only cost was a shitty poem. But I also can say I dont agree with that and I refuse to support them, maybe to many I am unreasonable but that is my decision to make.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Do you see how this is a problem. First and last statement contradicts each other completely. If they found the poem as offensive as they say it was in the last they would pull it immediately and not ask for permission.
I am often accused of seeing things in black and white. You markec take the cake though.
Walls of text with minimal punctuation. So pleasant to read.

Edit: Something tells me you will need a quest marker. Maybe Obsidian found the poem outside of what they were comfortable publishing and decided to deal with it in a way that also gave some respect and agency to the backer. Why just remove the message when they can have a dialogue with the person and get them to change it of their own free will.
Something tells me you wont have an answer for this.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The poem was so offensive. As if anyone should ever care about something they write being offensive.

It's worrying that Obsidian cares, and even more worrying that people defend them for caring about such stupid bullshit.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well ... seeing as how this got moved to a new thread specifically devoted to this stupidity, I took markec off ignore and discovered a new post from this morning. Here we go!

I see. So if it doesn't offend YOU, then they are stupid and wrong for censoring it. As long as you're not hurt, no one is hurt. Got it.

You do know there were polls and threads on Obsidian forums where vast majority of people thought there is nothing wrong with the poem and it should not be censored. Im saying I dont care about you or anyone else being offended, grow a fucking pair. Since when did in this society become normal to censor something just because someones feelings got hurt. Do you even realize for what kind of a world you are cheering for, where everything anyone produces will be checked if someones feeling is hurt. Thats why now you have save spaces in collages because new generation cant stand someone saying something they dont like, the fucking horror.
Ugh. You are on an anti-censorship crusade. For about the fifth time, it's not up to you or me or a majority on some forum what Obsidian chooses to publish and not to publish. It's not even up to some lunatic on Twitter. It's up to Obsidian.

But that explains their reasoning, there is different view on situation based if its offensive or not, saying you dont care is just like saying a motive for a murder is not important.
Fair enough. So your position is that Obsidian loved the poem, but they censored it anyway because they were terrified of a lone complainer on Twitter. Seems farfetched to me, but I guess I don't have the "common sense" you do.

"I'm right because I'm right and you're wrong because you don't agree." That's cute, but has no place in a sensible argument.
Im right because I use common sense, you think you are right because you are delusional.
Yo, I just checked and it turns out I'm rubber and you're glue. Also I am much smarter than you are and you are a doo-doo head. Name calling and groundless grandstanding sure does raise the level of respect you get in a debate, doesn't it? Show your fucking work.

Sooooo your assumption is that no one else was asked to change their submission? :lol:
My assumption is that noone had their submission forcefully changed
That's surprising. I guess we don't have proof either way, but I'd be astonished if the rest of the (hundreds?) of submissions entered were all squeaky clean out of the gate.

If you found out that there were other submissions that were revised, would you be mad about them too? Or is it just this one?
I would be mad if other submissions were revised because some nutjob on internet asked for Obsidian to change them as said fuck you to the backer.
So you're mad because this one was made public and they changed their mistake after someone pointed it out to them. If they changed the exact same content before the public saw it, you would have been fine with it?

In other words, if you hate Obsidian and refuse to support them because they don't like transvestite jokes (which is true), you're just a dumbass and a hypocrite.
First the joke is not aimed at the tranny but the guy sleeping with it. Second, again since when did we become a society where people can joke only about people who are the same gender, race and sexual orientation as the comedian. Can you provide a list of what is acceptable to joke about so I know for future reference. And as I said, do you really support a world where content of any work will be change the moment someones feelings are hurt.
So now you're saying Obsidian can't decide what to publish and what not to publish? I'm not some kind of bible-thumping censorship advocate, by the way. What I'm talking about is the right of a creative company to publish what they wish and not publish what they do not wish.

That they lied is pretty obvious and ill try to explain to you why.
Thanks for at least attempting to show your reasoning. Seriously, I appreciate it.

No. I'm saying you need to give a reason - any reason - to show why you're right. You still don't have one, because apparently there isn't one. "Because I'm right" ("it's common sense!") is not a reason; it's an appeal to your authority - but you have no authority.
I gave you enough reasons to which your comment was "I believe in Obsidian because they would never lie to me!"
When did I ever, ever say that? Scroll up and quote me. Go ahead, I'll wait.

All I've said is that there is no reason to believe that they did.

There's a significant difference there.

One says that I made a snap judgment and I'm sticking to it come hell or high water (like good old boys with "common sense" do). The other says I have an open mind and will judge based on what I learn, and can possibly even change my mind if I learn something new. So far you haven't shown me any substantial new information. All you have is your 1-5 bullet points that we've always agreed upon.

Obsidian could easily be liars, of course they could. I don't know. But, at the risk of repeating myself, I see no reason to believe they are.

OK this is what we know for certain:
1. Someone found a backer poem offensive and contacted the Obsidian.
2. Obsidian announces that they are changing the poem.
3. Obsidian releases press release after fans outcry for changing the poem that they immediately contacted the backer and told him about the controversy and while they didnt want to change it he did.
4. Backer commented on forums that he changed the poem to help out Obsidian but was disappointed because he preferred the old one.
5. Obsidian makes a statement that the poem became part of the game only because they missed it while vetting.
Yep, all correct as far as I know, and nothing there that points to lying.

Now lets say you are right and only thing that matters is if Obsidian and noone else found the poem offensive or not.
Lets say that the poem is offensive but lets also say its not about tranny joke, because I cant take seriously that its offensive, and replace it with a message "Kill all Jews" something that we both can agree its offensive.
Now someone finds this in game and contacts Obsidian. Obsidian decide to change it and they release a press release saying they are sorry, they missed it while vetting and that it would never happen otherwise. Thats what Obsidian said in their last statement.
Now look at the first official statement, they said they didnt want to change it but did after they asked the backer and he decided to change it. So tell me if you are owner of a company who release a game containing message "KIll all Jews", would you pull it back immediately and apologize or would you say that you personally have no problem with it and decide to ask backer will he remove it, and if he says no you would let it stay in? Also the backer said that they asked him to change the poem not because they found it offensive but because its making problems for them. So he changed it because he wanted to help Obsidian.
Seeing this common sense will tell you that Obsidian didnt see the poem offensive but unoffensive but decided to change it for different reasons.
So ... you're saying that if Obsidian really didn't like the poem, instead of talking to the backer about it when it was brought to their attention, and working with him to try to end up with something he would be happy with, they should have just axed it completely without talking to him at all? And you think this would show better behavior towards their fans? Would that really have made you less mad about censorship?

Now lets imagine situation where Obsidian thinks that poem is unoffensive.
An idiot finds the poem offensive. You said that you are sure that that person had no ulterior motives. Yet that same person post on twitter on hashtag Killallwhiteman of Killallman (something like that), instead of personally contacting Obsidian to ask about the something he found offensive that person puts Obsidian on spotlight, twitting to everyone, accusing Obsidian of being sexist and demanding the change. That person still was offended even with the new poem but didnt want to push his luck because he thought one victory is enough. You find this person normal, yet I see him as completely insane and delusional individual without any grasp on the real world, so I pretty much understand why you would find him normal.
What the fuck? Now you're just making shit up. I don't know anything about the jackass in question, he's not a friend of mine, we're not SJW allies, I'm not on his side. All I know is he brought the poem to Obsidian's attention which caused them to examine the situation.

You say Obsidian had no reason to fear bad publicity. So you have been living under a rock all this time if you dont know extent of SJWs influence in gaming media and all shit that did recently. So is it really hard to understand that Obsidian is a company that just recently had a brush with bankruptcy for God knows which time now and that they put all their hope in this project is actually weary of stepping on SJWs toes or doing anything that could harm their sales, sales which might save or destroy their company.
Haha. Wow, you're not reading my posts very carefully. I never said that either. I said that a company that publicly censored their customers is not a company doing their damndest to avoid controversy.

The both first statement and info from the backer make complete sense if you approach them thinking Obsidian didnt find if offensive but wanted to change it because they feared bad publicity. Hell even their last statement makes sense in a way to make sure SJWs are appeased with what they did.
You know what else makes sense? Their explanation that they missed it during production and fixed it later.

I actually understand their decision, you can think what Obsidian did was smart or even something they needed to do, they sacrificed a shitty poem to save themselves from a possible massive negative outcry, atlest thats their reasoning.
But you cant say what they did was morally right, to cave in to demands of few lunatics while shitting on fans who supported and made their game possible.
I agree that if they compromised their principles because they were terrified of a guy on Twitter, that would be wrong of them. But I still see no evidence of that. Your rationalization of it as one possible interpretation of the facts still doesn't show anything and wouldn't convince anybody without a censorship hysteria bias.

You can say end justifies the means that this will mean more Obsidian games you like and it only cost was a shitty poem.
I'm not saying that at all. It looks to me like they exercised their right to retract something they didn't intend to publish, which you still seem to agree is fine. The only downside here is that something got changed even though some people liked it.

Editing happens every day. Every movie released leaves a ton of footage on the cutting room floor. Every book published has turns of phrase, sentences, and even whole scenes trimmed out. The only difference here is that something was changed after release to the public ... which also still happens in most media, and often (though not always) for the better. It's just part of the process of releasing creative work. It's dumb as hell to get mad about it.

I also can say I dont agree with that and I refuse to support them
You could certainly disagree if they lied to their customers, and you could certainly disagree if they retracted, for fear of backlash, material that they themselves would prefer to have published. In both cases I would completely agree with you. My problem is that you're disagreeing with them about something you imagine they did, even when they have a perfectly reasonable explanation for what actually happened.

Maybe to many I am unreasonable but that is my decision to make.
Absolutely agreed - that's your right and I can't force you to do anything. However it is equally my right to call you out on it when I see you talking about doing something stupid. :cool:

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Something tells me you will need a quest marker.
Something tells me you wont have an answer for this.

Is that "something" voices you hear you in you head? My advice is to get professional help because thats not healthy, also my advice is to stop listening them since they show as much of intelligence as a fly that just flew in a flytrap outside my window.

Walls of text with minimal punctuation. So pleasant to read.

I really, really apologize. All this time I thought people in this thread were doing selective reading because they were people who cant accept anyething that conflicts with their version of the truth, but it looks like it was all along just my poor grammar.

I am often accused of seeing things in black and white. You markec take the cake though.

Why are you always accused of seeing things in black and white, are you color blind? On the other hand I personally do like to point out when things are really black and white.

Maybe Obsidian found the poem outside of what they were comfortable publishing and decided to deal with it in a way that also gave some respect and agency to the backer. Why just remove the message when they can have a dialogue with the person and get them to change it of their own free will.

Its nice to have fans that are willing to give hundreds of dollars in order to put few lines of text in the game, but its even nicer when they are willing to change them when they are asked nicely. Problem is what you are saying does not fit with what Obsidian said, seeing the conflicting two statements, which means one of those two statements is a lie. Also another question remains, if he said no would Obsidian left the offensive content in?

Before answering that I wanted to say to you to seek advice from your voices, but seeing their track record I would not recommend it.

Ugh. You are on an anti-censorship crusade. For about the fifth time, it's not up to you or me or a majority on some forum what Obsidian chooses to publish and not to publish. It's not even up to some lunatic on Twitter. It's up to Obsidian.

Running in circles five times already is getting tiring. I agree with you here but as I said their comments of why they censored it is conflicting. And if you ask me for proof again after all I wrote previously Im gonna shed a tear just for you.

So your position is that Obsidian loved the poem, but they censored it anyway because they were terrified of a lone complainer on Twitter. Seems farfetched to me, but I guess I don't have the "common sense" you do.

I never said they loved it but that they found it unoffensive. I believe that the person who put that poem in game didnt see it offensive. I dont think they were terrified of a single person but of possible bad press if this spread out, since that person went on and did spread the poem to every single person he knew. It seems more logical then that Obsidian found the poem offensive and then they removed it. But that it managed to pass trough vetting, proofreading and actually being placed in game and that noone noticed such offensive and horrible poem seems to me much more far fetched.

Yo, I just checked and it turns out I'm rubber and you're glue. Also I am much smarter than you are and you are a doo-doo head. Name calling and groundless grandstanding sure does raise the level of respect you get in a debate, doesn't it? Show your fucking work.

Your only contribution to this discussion were things like "You are wrong Im right!" "Obsidian would never lie or do something bad!" "I dont need proof I have faith!" So can you really blame me for not think highly of your opinion.

That's surprising. I guess we don't have proof either way, but I'd be astonished if the rest of the (hundreds?) of submissions entered were all squeaky clean out of the gate.

Agree but poem in question was put in game. In your opinion because everyone handling it got sudden case of amnesia. In my opinion people just found it not offensive, maybe shitty with poor taste of humor but not offensive.

So you're mad because this one was made public and they changed their mistake after someone pointed it out to them. If they changed the exact same content before the public saw it, you would have been fine with it?

This is the best example of why we cant agree. You see the poem as something vile that accidentally sneaked in game and some nice person pointed out it and Obsidian fixed it. I see it as unoffensive thing that some insane person found a problem with it and forced a change. Obsidian removed it out of fear of bad press and decided to throw a fan under a bus.

When you look at this what I write, what you believe makes sense and it looks like something normal. What I believe seems like rambling of a mad man, and I wish all of it is in my head, but present world is not normal. You might believe that all of this talk about SJWs and GamerGate in nonsense but I believe it that. But no matter how much my version seems insane seeing this events with proof what we have and past experiences of similar events it becomes more then just a possibility.

So now you're saying Obsidian can't decide what to publish and what not to publish? I'm not some kind of bible-thumping censorship advocate, by the way. What I'm talking about is the right of a creative company to publish what they wish and not publish what they do not wish.

And I agree with you but my comment was not aimed at Obsidian but you.

When did I ever, ever say that? Scroll up and quote me. Go ahead, I'll wait.

All I've said is that there is no reason to believe that they did.

There's a significant difference there.

One says that I made a snap judgment and I'm sticking to it come hell or high water (like good old boys with "common sense" do). The other says I have an open mind and will judge based on what I learn, and can possibly even change my mind if I learn something new. So far you haven't shown me any substantial new information. All you have is your 1-5 bullet points that we've always agreed upon.

Obsidian could easily be liars, of course they could. I don't know. But, at the risk of repeating myself, I see no reason to believe they are.

You think that it is not a good reason to lie in order to protect your company from bad publicity just as a new product is released which sales will decide your future?

So ... you're saying that if Obsidian really didn't like the poem, instead of talking to the backer about it when it was brought to their attention, and working with him to try to end up with something he would be happy with, they should have just axed it completely without talking to him at all? And you think this would show better behavior towards their fans? Would that really have made you less mad about censorship?

You doing some selective reading here.

A lunatic finds poem offensive and Obsidian says they look it up.

Fans are in uproar, majority dont want the poem to be change.

Obsidian removes the poem.

Fans are pissed off saying Obsidian caved in to lunatic and took a shit on the fan.

Obsidian releases a statement that they didnt want to change the poem but they contacted the fan and asked him is he willing, and he said yes.

Backer goes on forum says he didnt want to change the poem and he liked the old one better but did so to help Obsidian.

Obsidian makes a new statement saying they removed the poem because it was offensive and it got in game only because of an error while vetting.

Question remains, if Obsidian as you say removed it because they found it offensive why would they say that they didnt want to remove it and ask backer first. Aand what if the backer said no would they have left that offensive poem in?

What the fuck? Now you're just making shit up. I don't know anything about the jackass in question, he's not a friend of mine, we're not SJW allies, I'm not on his side. All I know is he brought the poem to Obsidian's attention which caused them to examine the situation.

I wish I was making this shit up but Im not.

Haha. Wow, you're not reading my posts very carefully. I never said that either. I said that a company that publicly censored their customers is not a company doing their damndest to avoid controversy.

But if you had to choose either stepping on a toe of few of your fans who will forgive you anything or SJW crowd who cant wait
for opportunity to make someones life a living hell, which would you choose?

You know what else makes sense? Their explanation that they missed it during production and fixed it later.

So to you it makes sense that person(s) in charge of vetting, proofreading and implementing the poem in game all of them missed this one poem. If that makes sense to you fine, but to me it seems ridiculous at best.

I agree that if they compromised their principles because they were terrified of a guy on Twitter, that would be wrong of them. But I still see no evidence of that. Your rationalization of it as one possible interpretation of the facts still doesn't show anything and wouldn't convince anybody without a censorship hysteria bias.

I'm not saying that at all. It looks to me like they exercised their right to retract something they didn't intend to publish, which you still seem to agree is fine. The only downside here is that something got changed even though some people liked it.

Editing happens every day. Every movie released leaves a ton of footage on the cutting room floor. Every book published has turns of phrase, sentences, and even whole scenes trimmed out. The only difference here is that something was changed after release to the public ... which also still happens in most media, and often (though not always) for the better. It's just part of the process of releasing creative work. It's dumb as hell to get mad about it.

You could certainly disagree if they lied to their customers, and you could certainly disagree if they retracted, for fear of backlash, material that they themselves would prefer to have published. In both cases I would completely agree with you. My problem is that you're disagreeing with them about something you imagine they did, even when they have a perfectly reasonable explanation for what actually happened.

Absolutely agreed - that's your right and I can't force you to do anything. However it is equally my right to call you out on it when I see you talking about doing something stupid. :cool:

Well if I didnt persuade you till now I dont think I will at all. Two people can see same picture and have different thought of it based on their experiences. To me it seems Obsidian did the deal with the Devil, to you they did nothing wrong.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Its nice to have fans that are willing to give hundreds of dollars in order to put few lines of text in the game, but its even nicer when they are willing to change them when they are asked nicely. Problem is what you are saying does not fit with what Obsidian said, seeing the conflicting two statements, which means one of those two statements is a lie. Also another question remains, if he said no would Obsidian left the offensive content in?

Before answering that I wanted to say to you to seek advice from your voices, but seeing their track record I would not recommend it.

Before answering that I wanted to say to you to seek advice from your voices, but seeing their track record I would not recommend it.[/QUOTE]
My track record is 2/2. I guessed you would miss the point and fail to answer my question. I was right on both accounts. I cannot speak for what Obsidian would have done if Firedorn had remained adamant. I don't actually have any kind of precognition or mind reading powers. Reading you is easy because you aren't very complicated.
You say that what I am saying doesn't gel with what obsidian said when all I did was outline what they actually did. Some kind of mental gymnastics you must have going on. The way Obsidian dealt with it and what they said about it are matters of public record. They did ask Firedorn and then they did change it.
To me it seems Obsidian did the deal with the Devil
Maybe you just need to have a good hard look at the hyperbolic shit you be talking. I'll tell you what happened in simple terms so you can be understanding.
1. Someone complain to Obsidian.
2. Someone else passed that complaint on to Sawyer.
3. Obsidian contacted Firedorn.
4. Obsidian edited the game to include a different poem.
So you have a situation where there were no deals struck with any devils and no censorship. I don't care how many retards ITT don't know what editing means. I have noticed that a lot of people make up their own definitions of words. I choose to stand by the commonly accepted definitions as contained in the O.E.D. Go ahead and be a drama queen and describe the situation as a deal with the devil though.

Zombra

Patron
Your only contribution to this discussion were things like "You are wrong Im right!" "Obsidian would never lie or do something bad!" "I dont need proof I have faith!" So can you really blame me for not think highly of your opinion.

Jesus christ. I never said any of those things, nor anything like them. It's clear that talking to you at all is a total waste of time as you're just going to make up nonsense and pretend I said that instead. Go to hell. :M

Lhynn

Arcane
My two cents. Obsidian shoulda told the dude on twitter to go fuck himself.

Latro

Arcane
I don't think they handled it -that- bad, but at the same time they never defended the poor dude who donated HALF A GRAND to an unfinished videogame. Both the project lead and the CEO dropped the ball hardcore, I feel bad for the backer who was called a bigot, and was never backed up by the folks he donated $500 smackers to. Changing content due to a hot-button current event topic is understandable, but not standing with a guy who gave you support was a bad call. I'll probably buy Obsidian stuff in the future, but never EA/kickstarter stuff, especially after this. They lost my trust. Well, okay that actually sounds pretty bad. Whatever.

Stokowski

Arcane
sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

sirbruce

gestalt11

Arbiter
As with most cases of censorship the people advocating the censoring self-parody themselves. There is no way to know from the original poem what the authors actual views are, he may be saying the guy was an idiot or he may be saying something disparaging about some group. Its not determinate, but because it touches on their subject matter they instantly must have control over it. Bowing to this type of idiocy is a shame but it also common.

I remember back in the day that Third Eye Blind song "Semi-charmed life" was getting censored on my local radio station. They had to bleep "crystal meth" from the song because of idiot anti-drug activists. It just so happens my mom was a huge anti-drug activist started a parents organization the whole shebang.

I told her straight up this censorship was stupid and she tried the whole line about influencing kids blah blah. I said to her "Mom .... the whole frigging song is about how crystal meth ruins your damn life. Are you stupid?" That shut her up completely. Had nothing to say. It was so obvious it had gone too far because the song was basically saying something she had dedicated 20 years of her life to saying but her own work had silenced it.

Nothing new. Stupidity and unforseen consequences round and round. Doomed to repeat it ad nauseum. Same thing different flavor. The only thing I try to do to deal with it is lower the level contempt for humanity it engenders in me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom