Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The RPG in Oblivion (Do the review right)

Venom

Scholar
For most enemies I fought, they have animations that tell you what move their gonna pull out.

And I didn't try alchemy yet...although the prospect of buying a house and transforming it into an alchemy lab is pretty tempting. Especially since you can get servants too.

I'd could summon monsters and transform this in my stronghold...then take over the world! HAHAHAHA!

Maybi

Novice
Thrawn05 said:
Venom said:
Lumpy said:
How are the quests in Oblivion? Better than Morrowind's. Which faction has the best storyline?
Better then Morrowind. A hundred times better. A million times better.

Oh no! Help me fetch a ring from the well!

Oh no! Help me fetch this book from up north!

Oh no! Help to get to such and such a place!

Oh no! Help me find my crystal ball!

Oh no! Help me find my horses!

Oh no! Help me find my gold!

Oh no! Fetch me a daedric item!

Oh no! Help me deliver this item to that person!

Oh no! My teeth itch!

:roll:

I guess you haven't played the game yet. I can smell the ignorance. All the quests I've done was interesting, and engaging. I was surprised. I was expecting at least a few fillers like in Morrowind.

Lumpy

Arcane
Thrawn05 said:
Venom said:
Lumpy said:
How are the quests in Oblivion? Better than Morrowind's. Which faction has the best storyline?
Better then Morrowind. A hundred times better. A million times better.

Oh no! Help me fetch a ring from the well!

Oh no! Help me fetch this book from up north!

Oh no! Help to get to such and such a place!

Oh no! Help me find my crystal ball!

Oh no! Help me find my horses!

Oh no! Help me find my gold!

Oh no! Fetch me a daedric item!

Oh no! Help me deliver this item to that person!

Oh no! My teeth itch!

:roll:
Tell me, did you actually play the game, or are you just being an idiot, like you usually are?

franc kaos

Liturgist
TotS said:
franc kaos said:
The skills: God! I never thought I'd miss the simplified skill set from MW, with three speeds of getting better. I'd love to meet the man who designed this crap setup, so I could crush his testicles in one hand.
Just the cutting of previously existing skills or did they fuck up really bad?

RuySan said:
If you don't like Oblivion, that's fine, but saying that's not an RPG is moronic. An RPG tag doesn't necessary mean it's good, as Lionheart is definitely an RPG
No cRPG is a true RPG </elitist pen&paper snob>
The skill thing I should've put in as 'In My Humble Opinion'. I liked the major and minor skills contributing in a different way for levelling up, and 10 skills allows you to use extra skills that you might think unimportant (tho I didn't bother with blunt < no staff> or mysticism <no levitation>) in this game, but no unarmoured? I replaced it with light armour - but hated doing that - in any RPG I've always played, where possible, an unarmoured Rogue Mage. Now I'm a RogueMage (with no staff and wearing armour - ugh)...

Oh yeah, I chose blades, but only use one handed swords (katana when I find one).

The funny thing is they've still got a monk as a class, but having played some more I get the distinct impression that the nine divines is going to play a large part in the overall story.

TINY SPOILER ALERT - the head of the blades is a brother in some holy order.

I no longer know if it's a roleplaying game, and I don't really care, it's the best game I've played since Gothic2. I'll just wait till VD post's his review, then we'll all know :D

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
RuySan said:
Well, the point is that according to the RPG definition of most codexers, there is what, like 6 or 7 RPGs since the beggining of times? I've been playing RPG's for a long time, and games like Fallout or PS:T are on a league of its own, so comparing all new RPGs to those ones always result in disappointment. Basically, when it comes to playing a role, and choosing your own fate, what games there were like that before Fallout?? Probably some people would mention Ultima, but that's just one series, and even so, it was very underdeveloped compared to FO or PS:T. Face it, most RPGs are simple dungeon Hacks and allways have been: SSI games, Bards Tale, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master...

I don't know given I haven't really kept up with most people's definition. However, I'd think that different definitions would elicit different comparisons or expectations. Personally I wouldn't hold up dungeon hacks as entirely representative of computer RPGs, nor would I neglect improvements and evolution in the genre because much of it is still based on dungeon hacking. But that's my call, not necessarily others'.

yipsl

Scholar
RuySan said:
This whole "Oblivion is not an RPG" makes me laugh. That's the same when i hear in metal forums kids whining "Nu-metal isn't metal because it has no guitar solos". Many of you most probably started playing RPG's since Fallout. I play them since when i bought an Amiga (1989) and almost every RPG was a dungeon hack, and all of them had less role playing than Morrowind or Oblivion. Yes, even classics as Eye of the Beholder, Black Crypt or Dungeon Master.

If you don't like Oblivion, that's fine, but saying that's not an RPG is moronic. An RPG tag doesn't necessary mean it's good, as Lionheart is definitely an RPG

My first RPG was "The Bard's Tale" on an Atari 1200, then when the Atari ST wasn't backwards compatible, I got a Commodore 128 instead because my Bard Tale 1 and 2, my Ultima III and IV all had those great old floppies with Atari on one side and Commodore 64 on the other.

Then, i got the Gold Box games. When the Amiga came out, I continued on with the Commodore 128 and a Laser 128 for old Wizardry, then I build my first 386SX. So, I know the old RPGs that didn't have the depth that Betrayal at Krondor, ROA: Star Trail or TES: Arena had.

RPG elements or not, the only top down RPG I ever loved were Wasteland and Ultima III and IV on the Commodore and Magic Candle 2 and 3 on the PC. I missed Fallout but it looked like a post apocalyptic Baldurs Gate.

During that time, I was into the Might and Magic series. Always did prefer first person RPGs, whether single character like TES or party based like M&M or Betrayal at Krondor. The Realms of Arkania had the best of both, since combat was a separate screen, travel was map based but town and dungeon exploration was first person.

Yes, RPG means different things to different people and it has subcategories. Judging two quite different RPGs is valid, but it's not valid to say that a dungeon crawl action RPG like Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore or even Oblivion isn't an RPG like Might and Magic VI or Daggerfall; though it might be less of an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom