Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The RPG in Oblivion (Do the review right)

Solik

Scholar
Gothic II's gameplay can't hold a candle to Oblivion's. They're not on the same level at all.

RuySan

Augur
Gothic II stat system was completely wrong. The way Strenght and Weapon mastery works is absolutely stupid. You can kill a troll with a stick if you want in the late game.
It makes a really bad difficulty curve. Very very hard at the beggining and no challenge at all in the end (boorrinnng)

bryce777

Erudite
Solik said:
Gothic II's gameplay can't hold a candle to Oblivion's. They're not on the same level at all.

What do you mean by gameplay?

I was not much of a gothic fan, really. All it had going for it was a good setting and gritty artwork. I really did feel like some miserable bastard stuck in a prison in the first one. I think its combat was terrible, and oblivion sounds better in that department, though still not actually good.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Heck, just the first "Get into Khorinis" quest has at least 5 ways of completing it. Also, you frequently make choices that are of noticeable consequence. In Morrowind every quest I know of was completely straightforward and choices were of no weight. Uh, I forgot, getting into one Noble House meant you couldn't join another one...

Main plots are laughable in both games, of course.

I'll post more details on G2+NotR in another thread, give me some time...

Solik

Scholar
Combat's the only real gameplay mechanic that you can compare between the two, so in that, yeah, I'm referring to combat. I can't remember if Gothic II even had any stealth whatsoever?

CrashDummy

Novice
Elwro said:
Heck, just the first "Get into Khorinis" quest has at least 5 ways of completing it. Also, you frequently make choices that are of noticeable consequence. In Morrowind every quest I know of was completely straightforward and choices were of no weight. Uh, I forgot, getting into one Noble House meant you couldn't join another one...

Well in Oblivion, many quest have many ways of completion and so far, no two people start the game the same. I don't care if the game is a RPG or not...you guys can go on arguing that for the next 2 years, it is a great game no matter what genre you put it as.

People expect too much for games nowadays, 10 years ago only one thing mattered...is it fun or not...

Who cares if this game is a friggin pure RPG or not, it is addictive and fun...and played for about 20 hours so far and I havn't scratched the surface yet.

Chefe

Erudite
Daggerfall:
Useless skills
Easily explotable advantages/disadvantages
Clipping issues
Serious gameplay bugs
Cookie-cutter quests with different names
Sub-par linear storyline
Main quest NPCs with no personalities
Weapons behaved pretty much the same
Poor, sloppy, huge interface
Ugly ground textures
Uninspired building design
Crappy dialogue options
Crappy dialogue

Oblivion:
Useless perks (birthsigns)
Clipping issues
Serious gameplay bugs
Cookie-cutter quests with different names
Sub-par linear storyline
NPCs with stupid personalities
Weapons behave pretty much the same
Poor, sloppy, huge interface
Ugly ground textures
Uninspired building design
Horrible dialogue options
Crappy dialogue

Do you realize Daggerfall was released in 1996? That's a fucking decade ago! It was also released for DOS, with no graphics card capabilities, none of this fancy direct x and GeForceRadeon9302032023xpadvancedturbo-antialising-specularmap shit. Are we physically unable to improve since then? In fact, can we only get worse? Observe:

Daggerfall:
HUGE gameplay world
Hundreds of cities teeming with life
Hundreds of citizens
Hundreds of dungeons
High difficulty
Endless supply of quests
Many, many guilds and factions
Factions with hatred towards one another
Fascinating race design
Unique location names
Original backstory
Many skill choices
Many weapon choices
Attractive NPCs
Busy-looking NPCs

Oblivion:
Large gameplay world
A few ghost towns
Couple of citizens
A good amount of unique dungeons (from what I've heard)
Extremely low difficulty
Large number of quests
A couple of factions
Factions don't care about each other
Unoriginal race design
Location names ripped from a Middle Earth DnD manual
Bland backstory
Few skill choices
Few weapon choices
Hideous NPCs
NPCs that stand around and occasionally eat something

Venom

Scholar
CrashDummy said:
Elwro said:

Well in Oblivion, many quest have many ways of completion and so far, no two people start the game the same. I don't care if the game is a RPG or not...you guys can go on arguing that for the next 2 years, it is a great game no matter what genre you put it as.

People expect too much for games nowadays, 10 years ago only one thing mattered...is it fun or not...

Who cares if this game is a friggin pure RPG or not, it is addictive and fun...and played for about 20 hours so far and I havn't scratched the surface yet.
Well...like they say, this place is the RPG Codex. I think they care if the game isn't a pure RPG.

elander_

Arbiter
bryce777 said:
I think its combat was terrible, and oblivion sounds better in that department, though still not actually good.

I haven't played Oblivion yet but i wouldn't be so quick to judge. Oblivion combat has very noobe mistakes that if Oblivion was reviewed by the press years ago when gameplay was a key factor the game would be massacrated.

Some bad and unrealistic animations that don't let the player anticipate what the enemy is going to do. Lots of skating problems too.

An enemy should never stand in front of the players face and block visibility completely.

Enemies change speed and do unnatural jumps that make them unpredictable. Then thay get in the players face.

Only ONE combat move at the start of the game.

Other problems are easly accessible health potions that let you restore all your health almost instantly. Some reviewer just kept drinking health potions and was able to clean up an entire dungeon. Boring???

RAI is not what they claim it is aparently. Enemies just charge at the player and when they get too much they run away. In a closed environment when they scared they just stand there in a corner taking it.

When you beat an enemy down and he becomes unconscious aparently it is impossible to loot his corpse unless you kill him??

Chefe

Erudite
When you beat an enemy down and he becomes unconscious aparently it is impossible to loot his corpse unless you kill him??

Well, with all due respect if he was a corpse he wouldn't exactly be unconscious, now would he? ;)

HardCode

Erudite
franc kaos said:
But so far, having not touched any quests yet, I'd give the game 8/10.

So in other words, no RPG information for the RPGCodex, right? What a waste of space the rest of the graphics shit was :roll:

Lumpy

Arcane
How are the quests in Oblivion? Better than Morrowind's? Which faction has the best storyline?

Venom

Scholar
HardCode said:
Venom said:
RPGs are for people who have brains, this is not for them.

Fixed.
The type of post I hate and the reason people despise this place. You act like all the people who enjoy Oblivion are wrong. Heck people come here and say how it sucks yet these are the people who said they'd never buy it...and all of their complaints don't make any sense to me since I am actually playing the game and it's easy to see if they actually touched the game or not.

But you people lick it up like it's the truth. The only time I get some respect here is when I say Oblivion was overhyped...and it was. So all these players who bought it and love it must be wrong, eh? Nope. They like it, the end.

But saying all the people that love the game are dumb is being an elitist turd. And you know it.

Venom

Scholar
Lumpy said:
How are the quests in Oblivion? Better than Morrowind's. Which faction has the best storyline?
Better then Morrowind. A hundred times better. A million times better.

elander_

Arbiter
Chefe said:

Well, with all due respect if he was a corpse he wouldn't exactly be unconscious, now would he? ;)

Replace corpse by unconscious body up there. There was a message saying the human enemy was unconscious but in the video the reviewer tried to loot him when he was down but it was not possible. Maybe someone could check this out.

Venom

Scholar
elander_ said:
Some bad and unrealistic animations that don't let the player anticipate what the enemy is going to do. Lots of skating problems too.

An enemy should never stand in front of the players face and block visibility completely.

Enemies change speed and do unnatural jumps that make them unpredictable. Then thay get in the players face.

Only ONE combat move at the start of the game.

Other problems are easly accessible health potions that let you restore all your health almost instantly. Some reviewer just kept drinking health potions and was able to clean up an entire dungeon. Boring???

The animations are fine. No skating for sure. I don't see how having unpredictable enemies is wrong too. And you have two moves at the beginning of the game. not one.

And I actually find that potions are extremely rare. You rarely find them.

Solik

Scholar
Bad comparison list, Chefe. Most of the "bads" for Oblivion are significantly less than they were in Daggerfall, and you left off all of the things that are better. You should join a political campaign.

elander--

There's more than one combat move at the start. You can do a standard attack, multiple quick attacks, and a power attack. The perks later on simply improve the power attacks by adding stuff like knockdown.

Combat's a lot more intricate than it looks from a distance, as I started to learn in the arena. The knockback / delay / stagger stuff works really well, and makes the choices between a seemingly small number of options suddenly a lot more rich. Choosing when to attack (based on blocking, staggers, etc) and which kind of attack to do has a lot of meaning.

I haven't had any frustration with the enemies in my face. I guess I can see how that would annoy some people.

Yeah, health potions are a bit excessive, at least in early levels. Not sure yet how viable that option is in terms of cost-effectiveness. I haven't had to buy any yet because they give you several in the starting dungeon, but right now, they're worth about what I win in a single arena fight -- and I've had to use one in each fight.

RAI wasn't touted as a great combat AI. Still, though, I've not had any qualms with combat AI thus far.

I did see a little skating when I knocked the bejesus out of an enemy with a power attack and sent him flying backwards. The animations are light years beyond Morrowind's though. Jumping does still look funky.

Lumpy--

While it's too soon to tell, I'm finding the quests far better than Morrowind's.

Venom

Scholar
Where the hell do you get potions? I saw three and I am now level 3 and a silencer for the Dark Brotherhood.

Solik

Scholar
I guess you could make them, or buy them if you've got cash and are charming. I got 7 weak potions of healing from the starting dungeon, and a couple standard healing potions somewhere.

Thrawn05

Scholar
Venom said:
Lumpy said:
How are the quests in Oblivion? Better than Morrowind's. Which faction has the best storyline?

Oh no! Help me fetch a ring from the well!

Oh no! Help me fetch this book from up north!

Oh no! Help to get to such and such a place!

Oh no! Help me find my crystal ball!

Oh no! Help me find my horses!

Oh no! Help me find my gold!

Oh no! Fetch me a daedric item!

Oh no! Help me deliver this item to that person!

Oh no! My teeth itch!

:roll:

Venom

Scholar
It actually suck pretty much when you have to wait for your Magicka to fill back up just to heal yourself after fighting two skeletons.

No Sorcery potions or Healing potions around. Maybe I'm not looking around as good as I thought as I was.

Venom

Scholar
Thrawn05 said:
Venom said:
Lumpy said:

Oh no! Help me fetch a ring from the well!

Oh no! Help me fetch this book from up north!

Oh no! Help to get to such and such a place!

Oh no! Help me find my crystal ball!

Oh no! Help me find my horses!

Oh no! Help me find my gold!

Oh no! Fetch me a daedric item!

Oh no! Help me deliver this item to that person!

Oh no! My teeth itch!

:roll:
No quest like this in the game. I never had to help anyone travel or find an item for them.

elander_

Arbiter
Venom said:
I don't see how having unpredictable enemies is wrong too.

Not unpredictable enemies but unnatural animations that don't give a clue or give the wrong clue about what the enemy will do.

I heard that Alchemy raises very fast and the game becomes very easy when you can make all the potions you want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom