Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The real Oblivion reviews are starting to change

Zomg

Arbiter
I'd imagine the people satisfied with the game are playing it rather than posting.

I'm tired of talking about this motherfucker.

Twinfalls

Erudite
@Tintin: The point he is making is not about soil erosion specifically, but that basic RPG aspects like a decent skill/levelling system were given zero priority over graphics.

@section8 - there are already threads at the ESF which basically state 'choose skills you won't use if you want to beat this game easily'.

@kingcomrade: That picture is seriously disturbing. The mouth..... reminds me of that Twilight Zone movie bit where the evil kid uses his powaz to remove his sister's mouth. Is this really what it takes for Japanese males and Hentai losers like Chefe and Aweigh to successfully masturbate?

Pegultagol

Erudite
Well there are some Japanese comics that I saw that feature some gaping mouths...those small mouths do increase in size when the appropriate time comes.

Tintin

Arbiter
@Tintin: The point he is making is not about soil erosion specifically, but that basic RPG aspects like a decent skill/levelling system were given zero priority over graphics.

By making something that would result in less time being spent on those same graphics? (never mind, I don't care to start this debate over again) By the way, I still think that he meant what he was saying literally, considering other posts he's made. And there was no reason to suddenly bring CPU cycles into the discussion if he didn't mean it literally.

...anyways.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Twinfalls said:

@section8 - there are already threads at the ESF which basically state 'choose skills you won't use if you want to beat this game easily'.

@kingcomrade: That picture is seriously disturbing. The mouth..... reminds me of that Twilight Zone movie bit where the evil kid uses his powaz to remove his sister's mouth. Is this really what it takes for Japanese males and Hentai losers like Chefe and Aweigh to successfully masturbate?

Don't capitlize my name.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I don't think it's a matter of needing it for a "successful" bout of self-abuse...

Solik

Scholar
kohla said:
From what I understand of the game, ie critters, monsters, npcs, and loot(s) are geared at your level. So if you are a level 1 noob, everythins is also at level 1.
This is false. Oblivion uses levelled lists similar to Morrowind. For example, I'm level 9, so wilderness encounters have been upgraded to include creatures like trolls. However, I still encounter wolves and such, which are quite easy for me to dispatch. Creatures do not level with you (nor are they nerfed if your level is low; levelled encounters, though, will restrict what types are available).

What do level with you are NPCs (including goblins, bandits, and a couple others). Even this, though, isn't exact. I can go into the sewers (an early-game area) and fight some goblin berserkers that are around my level. But there's also some standard goblins that are below me, and rats and mud crabs that fall in a single hit.

kohla said:
That is why you can best the arena champion at level 1 because he/she is also a level 1 noob
Technically this is true, but I find it difficult in practice. Arena characters appear to have static equipment. So, that might be a level 1 orc warrior fighting you, but he's still equipped with a two-handed glass warhammer (and btw, you can't loot arena combatants). At level 1 hp, it'll down you in no time. Admittedly, there's potential abuse where you could never rest and just pump up all your skills without ever levelling. However, this is countered by the lack of powerful loot availability (which you would need to defeat the static enemies that do exist), the low HP/MP values you have, which will keep you from casting the powerful spells your skill levels have unlocked, and the low stats, which would remain at level 1 values. If anything, low-level completion of the game would be more of a "challenge" run than a real exploit.

Admittedly, two problems from Morrowind's levelling system remain. One's endurance-based HP that doesn't APPEAR to be retroactive (I haven't studied it to see, but that's the idea I'm getting). Two's stat increases based on skill usage. The second is improved by the level queues (you can't uber-pump your stats every level), but if you really want to improve certain stats more, then you have to watch which skills you level. I don't think there's much of a need to improve certain stats that specifically, but some may disagree.

Tintin

Arbiter
The thing with the arena is probably one of the dumber things in the game. I think the arena would be much more fun if it was like an arena should be - namely, progressing up the ranks and beating progressively stronger fighters till you get to the strong champion, etc. I haven't played Oblivion of course, so I'm just going by what I'm hearing.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Given that this is sold by Bethesda as one of the major guilds - ie it is one of the things which replaced all the myriad Guilds we had in Daggerfall, it really sounds super-daft.

The champion of the Arena in Gothic 1 was a serious badass named Kurgen or somesuch, and there was no way you could hurt that guy at early levels. It was very satisfying to come back much, much later in the game, having got much tougher - the hard way, and defeat him.

Had that guy simply been a weakling schmuck but with some good gear, it would have been no fun at all.

Solik

Scholar
There have been some fights that I needed to levelup / upgrade equipment to win. Well, I probably could have stocked a bunch of potions and brute-forced through it, but that sort of defeats the purpose of getting paid to fight, given how expensive potions are.

For instance, I just got the Disarm perk. That should help me out a lot with some of these tougher enemies I'm facing. I also fought a melee/spellcaster enemy that was very difficult because she healed for as much as I was hitting for. Took me forever to win, and I probably couldn't have if I was much weaker -- even if that meant she was, too (what I -really- needed was paralysis / stun / damage magicka effects, but fancy stuff like that seems somewhat hard to come by when you're weak).

Regardless, although it works okay, I agree that the arena probably would benefit from static levelling of combatants. It's easily moddable, though, if that's your preference (and in fact, someone has already 'fixed' all the NPC levelling).

Tintin

Arbiter
Yeah, well, the criticism is mostly aimed at design choices rather then how we will have to play the game. By the time I pick up the game (5 months), a lot of the issues will be resolved by mods anyways (this levelling thing being one of them).

Venom

Scholar
This is utterly funny. The ''real'' reviews, eh.

All these people who like the game are wrong! This one guy on the ESF gave a ''real'' review. Thanks for enlighting me!

Right.

Furthermore, no NPC can give you his horse as a gift, unless you get it in a quest...Yet you people still believe that...Just because it's negative.

CrashDummy

Novice
Venom said:

All these people who like the game are wrong! This one guy on the ESF gave a ''real'' review. Thanks for enlighting me!

Right.

Heh, that is how it seems around here...oh well I say.

bryce777

Erudite
Venom said:

Right.

Furthermore, no NPC can give you his horse as a gift, unless you get it in a quest...Yet you people still believe that...Just because it's negative.

No one can explain what is so great about this game. Like in sylvanus's review. Everything sounds awful...85. No one has made any case for it being a good game to me whatsoever, let alone a good rpg.

Twinfalls

Erudite
The point being made is not that all the positive reviews are somehow invalid.

It is that despite the public face of Oblivion's reception being represented by all the gushing 10/10 reviews, there is another side.

I am suggesting that some of the (large, and growing day by day) seriously underwhelmed reception the game is getting - from ordinary gamers, (and TES boarders no less!) be reported.

For they are as valid as 'reviews' - if not more so, since they are voluntary - as the commercial media's response.

This is in fact an important thing to do - Black and White syndrome (do you recall how gushing the reviews were for that one, hmmm?) is not a good thing for gaming when people get burned.

I'm not saying Oblivion is as bad as Black and White. But perspective is needed, and the gaming press is simpy NOT providing that perspective at present.

CrashDummy

Novice
bryce777 said:
Venom said:

Right.

No one can explain what is so great about this game. Like in sylvanus's review. Everything sounds awful...85. No one has made any case for it being a good game to me whatsoever, let alone a good rpg.

Sylvanus said his review wasn't done because he was too busy playing the game. He said the game is engorssing despite the nitpicks he made.

The game is a fun game besides all the little stupid things that happen in it.

Venom

Scholar
bryce777 said:
Why do I like it? Because I love the quests. The story. The twists. The combat system. The caves, dungeons and other loot and monsters filled places.

Reason enough for me.

Vultok

Novice
Solik said:
kohla said:
From what I understand of the game, ie critters, monsters, npcs, and loot(s) are geared at your level. So if you are a level 1 noob, everythins is also at level 1.
This is false. Oblivion uses levelled lists similar to Morrowind. For example, I'm level 9, so wilderness encounters have been upgraded to include creatures like trolls. However, I still encounter wolves and such, which are quite easy for me to dispatch. Creatures do not level with you (nor are they nerfed if your level is low; levelled encounters, though, will restrict what types are available).

What do level with you are NPCs (including goblins, bandits, and a couple others). Even this, though, isn't exact. I can go into the sewers (an early-game area) and fight some goblin berserkers that are around my level. But there's also some standard goblins that are below me, and rats and mud crabs that fall in a single hit.

kohla said:
That is why you can best the arena champion at level 1 because he/she is also a level 1 noob
Technically this is true, but I find it difficult in practice. Arena characters appear to have static equipment. So, that might be a level 1 orc warrior fighting you, but he's still equipped with a two-handed glass warhammer (and btw, you can't loot arena combatants). At level 1 hp, it'll down you in no time. Admittedly, there's potential abuse where you could never rest and just pump up all your skills without ever levelling. However, this is countered by the lack of powerful loot availability (which you would need to defeat the static enemies that do exist), the low HP/MP values you have, which will keep you from casting the powerful spells your skill levels have unlocked, and the low stats, which would remain at level 1 values. If anything, low-level completion of the game would be more of a "challenge" run than a real exploit.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Micmu

Magister
I've been playing the game for around 20 hours total now and I'm still unimpressed. I DO think this game has been heavily overhyped and then overrated in media (just like HL2, Doom3, etc..). It's not crap but it don't see it as a 10, not by a long shot.

Lumpy

Arcane
That guy's a moron.
hand to hand: wtf? who fights with bare hands? what kind of skill is this? weapons are just better.

14) CAT PEOPLE? DINOSAUR PEOPLE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
MAGIC? GODS? FANTASY? BLACK & WHITE TVS IN TEH FUTURE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

sheek

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
That guy's a moron.
hand to hand: wtf? who fights with bare hands? what kind of skill is this? weapons are just better.

14) CAT PEOPLE? DINOSAUR PEOPLE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
MAGIC? GODS? FANTASY? BLACK & WHITE TVS IN TEH FUTURE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

He's right. The bizarre world/races/culture of the ES series is majorly retarded. I have found very few people who actually like it. People just go along with it because there's nothing else available in the RPG genre.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
The guy who wrote this "review" is obviously a retard.
I personly think oblivion sucks as Morrowind did and am grateful for every quality review which points this out.

However the poster of the review Twinfalls quotes, though making some valid points, seems to be as degenareted as the 11 year old fanbois on the tes forums, only in the oppisite direction.

Get some dignity people and stop sucking up up every shit written by any random idiot only because he remotly agrees with you.

Xi

Arcane
Vultok said:
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Solik is dead on.

I just gained Champion rank in the arena, btw. Beating the Grand Champion is pretty damned hard. I have died twice now. Granted I didn't have any heal potions. Still, even if you block his attacks he will do moderate damage to you. Plus, AI wise, he's pretty insane. My Redguard Warrior is level 10 and struggling to beat him on regular settings. Some of the Arena Battles are 2 on 1 and 3 on 1. So, it's no cake walk.

Can it be done at level 1? I suppose, but this person would need to spend a lot of time preping and buying potions/scrolls/etc to win the fight.

Reviews:
More people like this game then dislike it. Going all the way back to Daggerfall and Morrowind(I wasn't there for Arena). The same thing happened. Some people didn't like those games too. This didn't stop them from being classics.

Some of the positive reviews are senseless banter while the negative reviews can also contain plenty of bullshit as well. If you are going to post this stuff it makes sense to do so with a few positive reviews though. Why not weigh them both equally?

Section8

Cipher
Get some dignity people and stop sucking up up every shit written by any random idiot only because he remotly agrees with you.

I think the point was more "Look! Even the typical illiterate ESF moron fanboy has criticisms!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom