Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Real Monkey Island 3

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So I had the realization last night that Disney now owns the rights to Monkey Island, Pirates of the Caribbean, and -- assuming they went comprehensively with their acquisition while making the last Pirates movie -- On Stranger Tides. Clearly they should do an alternative MI:3 where Guybrush and LeChuck emerge into Disneyland, where they had been riding the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Child LeChuck can be reading On Stranger Tides. The two of them can go solve puzzles in the park, where real logic rather than MI logic applies, and they keep messing up their puzzle solutions because they're outraged that you can't use a rubber chicken as a perpetual motion zipline handle or a monkey as a monkey wrench. It would be a triumph of meta awfulness.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Not what they say in MI3.
Of course not, MI3 retconned any possible interpretation you could give to the MI2 ending pre-MI3. It's not the main reason I dislike the game, but it's one of them.

Also, anyone who thinks MI2's ending sucks should rewatch MI3's...

Modron

Arcane
So I had the realization last night that Disney now owns the rights to Monkey Island, Pirates of the Caribbean, and -- assuming they went comprehensively with their acquisition while making the last Pirates movie -- On Stranger Tides. Clearly they should do an alternative MI:3 where Guybrush and LeChuck emerge into Disneyland, where they had been riding the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Child LeChuck can be reading On Stranger Tides. The two of them can go solve puzzles in the park, where real logic rather than MI logic applies, and they keep messing up their puzzle solutions because they're outraged that you can't use a rubber chicken as a perpetual motion zipline handle or a monkey as a monkey wrench. It would be a triumph of meta awfulness.

You joke now but when Guybrush shows up in Kingdom Hearts you'll know you planted that idea in the deep dark parts of some Disney executive's head. On a more serious note, that would be extremely meta considering how much MI influenced the first Pirate's of the Caribbean movie.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would like to comment, but I still haven't got around playing the third game. Everytime I try, I look at those graphics and find something else to play instead. I actually find that quite weird, since I remember thinking the graphics had improved when the game came out.

Here's some incentive for playing MI3 for you:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
that would be extremely meta considering how much MI influenced the first Pirate's of the Caribbean movie.
Yeah, but you know that MI was inspired by PotC and On Stranger Tides? It's like a strange loop.

JarlFrank said:
Here's some incentive for playing MI3 for you:
So I always loved the art style in MI3, but it's striking to me how static that background looks. Just feels off.

aris

Arcane
Who gives a fuck? It's a great game. You sound like mass effect fan boys.

Eyeball

Arcane
MI3 was one of the first adventure games I played. It is still my favourite of all time. Funny, extremely good looking and awesomely voiced, especially whenever Earl Boen or Murray the Evil Skull takes the stage.

The ending was poor, though.

The "Tales of Monkey Island" series is pretty good as well in spite of being easy, but it only starts being really good when you reach Episode 3.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mmm, good memories.

Too bad MI3 is one of those LucasArts games one can't buy digitally for some reason and my hard copy was lost like ten years ago.
I'd really love to own this game, as well as DotT, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango, so my digital collection is complete.

kaizoku

Arcane
I had lots of fun with MI3 *nods*

Back to Ron...
I wonder if he was somewhat butthurt with Tim regarding The Cave, when he said "I'm tired of working for stuff I don't own" (or something along those lines).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It really can't be mentioned too often how really goddamn pretty MI3 is. The quality 2D graphics just don't get old.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Back to Ron...
I wonder if he was somewhat butthurt with Tim regarding The Cave, when he said "I'm tired of working for stuff I don't own" (or something along those lines).
Don't know that that would really be Tim Schaefer's fault, as The Cave was published (and is now owned by) Sega, not Double Fine.

Machocruz

Arcane
Never played this Monkey Island 3. But watching those videos, I was reminded of a concept called 'fun' which I distantly remember having something to do with video games. Hmm.

kaizoku

Arcane
Back to Ron...
Don't know that that would really be Tim Schaefer's fault, as The Cave was published (and is now owned by) Sega, not Double Fine.

ah!
Forgot about that. It makes sense now.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's funny, watching these videos I find myself nitpicking really aggressive. I wonder if CMI hit a kind of uncanny valley between 2D computer games and traditionally animated cartoons and suffers as a consequence. I mentioned the static background previously; in these, what I'm struck by so-so timing of the delivery of the lines (sometimes too much of a pause, obviously a problem when you select responses) and by the limited number of frames used for the lips of talking characters, such that it doesn't even look remotely lip-synched (as well as by the relatively static talking animations in which only the head tends to be animated). This feels a bit like complaining about unrealistic soil erosion, and it's not something that I ever would notice or complain about in a traditionally sprite and pixels look, but here it just feels a bit off. Probably a different experience playing it in game, though, rather than watching on Youtube.

Granfalegion

Barely Literate
I won't deny the difference in tone between the earlier games and the later -- the first ones are clearly leading up to something, but I can't get over how fucking awful the ending to MI2 feels in execution.

Yes, the anachronisms exist throughout and the dialogue adds up to it all, but then WHY -- DEAR GOD *WHY* do they have LeChuck's eyes go crazy and then ALSO have Elaine basically come out and say "WHAT IS LITERALLY GOING ON IS THAT LECHUCK CAST A SPELL."

To me, that is the last word in what is happening, and all this Dallas-styled dream nonsense is utter bullshit. It sets up a full ending to confuse and possibly satisfy the player, and then upends it. It forces you to maintain a suspension of disbelief throughout the game, rip it away from you, and THEN mock you for buying into have it taken away. That's what's so damned awful about it.

Even the designers admit in the commentary at the end of Special Edition that they just decided to start cramming in as many plot twists and turns as possible at the very end. It takes what could have been a fantastic execution (although I might have hated "it was his imagination" even more, I can see others would not) and just makes it a complete triviality. Honestly, I think it's a masterwork on CoMI's part to somehow find a way to take /exactly what they were hinting at the end of MI2/ and actually give a plausible continuity of things that moves things forward.

bledcarrot

Educated
I like MI2's ending. Hilarious. I lost my shit when I saw Little Guybrush. I would have been happy if they left the series there but I liked Curse of Monkey Island too. To be honest I would have even been happy if in No.3 they just wrote as if the ending for No.2 never happened. Monkey Island is not really a series of games I demand continuity or internal consistency from, for th esame reason I don't look for complex narrative archs in Monty Python's Flying Circus.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
The art and general style of CoMM are basically what I consider the peak of adventure game art. However, although I did enjoy it a lot as a kid and it was probably my favourite of the three real games growing up, I really prefer 1/2 now. 3 had this problem of feeling to slick for its own good, sort of like LSL7, KQ7, and other beautiful, slick, almost pixel-free hand-drawn late-90s adventures. I can't really put my finger on it, but they were just too clean and sharp. It felt like playing a TV cartoon or Disney movie.

But 2 has beautiful puzzles and rich locations... and 1 is just so pure and real...

The ending of MI2 was great in a Kubrick kind of way. I always liked it.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.

You joke now but when Guybrush shows up in Kingdom Hearts you'll know you planted that idea in the deep dark parts of some Disney executive's head. On a more serious note, that would be extremely meta considering how much MI influenced the first Pirate's of the Caribbean movie.
You guys are talking like something horrible like that didn't happened before.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Incroyable!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom