Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession/Stone Prophet thread

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
i was such a dragonlance nerd growing up. Enjoyed the gold box games. only played through 'em once. should get a copy and try them again. I think they have them on gog, don't they?

The Krynn series is on GOG, but the Heroes of the Lance-series is not.

2023 EDIT: The Heroes of the Lance-series is now available on GOG.

Last edited:

Saxon1974

Prophet
i was such a dragonlance nerd growing up. Enjoyed the gold box games. only played through 'em once. should get a copy and try them again. I think they have them on gog, don't they?

Yes they do. There is also the gold box companion which adds an auto map and other stuff.

RPK

Scholar
w

Yes they do. There is also the gold box companion which adds an auto map and other stuff.

looks like the gold box companion shows the journal entries. that's worth the download right there!

I have only played RL:SP, found it to be a very decent game. I think it still holds up well and I like the graphics and the music. It has its problems but aging isn't one of them for me. Young punks going on about the graphics :roll:

RPK

Scholar
I have only played RL:SP, found it to be a very decent game. I think it still holds up well and I like the graphics and the music. It has its problems but aging isn't one of them for me. Young punks going on about the graphics :roll:

who's complaining about graphics? heck, we were just reminiscing about gold box games which had even worse graphics.

Saxon1974

Prophet

who's complaining about graphics? heck, we were just reminiscing about gold box games which had even worse graphics.

Yea I don't think the main complaints here are about the graphics but the other things mentioned. Graphics are fine for the time but we're better in isometric games of this time.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
w

looks like the gold box companion shows the journal entries. that's worth the download right there!

Wait a second. Is this companion a separate purchase and download? I have all the GB games on GOG and never heard of this companion. Also, does it work for the Buck Rogers games? It does automap and journal entries? This fucking awesome. Does it do any other cool shit?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Also, in case anyone didn't know - DDO is coming out with a Ravenloft expansion.

RPK

Scholar
i want to be excited about the DDO expansion, as I've played DDO since it first came out and still play it on occasion. I hope they do a decent job capturing some of the feel of ravenloft, but being an MMO, there's never been any actual roleplaying involved in DDO.

Now that Turbine is its own entity as Standing Stone Games it'll be interesting to see if they do things any differently without any corporate overlords telling them what to do.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Can anyone answer my goldbox companion question please?

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!

Gold Box Companion is free, you can download it here :
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

As for your other questions :

Features
Gold Box Companion is a tool for all the Gold Box games plus Unlimited Adventures and the two SSI's Buck Rogers games. It offers automapping, easy-to-use journal entries and helps with some of the interface issues to make playing a little less tedious.

• HUD above DOSBox window with hit points, character icons, XP meters and effects. Shows good effects in green, bad in red. Also shows if a character is level drained.
  • Fix-command for Pool of Radiance. Works with the other games as well. Instantly heals the characters. Optionally also fixes level drained characters. Can not be used while in combat.
  • Temporarily change demihuman race to human to avoid experience level limits.
  • Optional level up without visiting training halls and without race-/game-related level limits.
  • Store the list of memorized spells and restore the spells with a single click. Can not be used while in combat.
  • Automap with party location. Notes can be added to the map.
  • World map view. Shows party location in some games.
  • Combat view. Shows character / monster locations. Shows if character/monster is held or helpless.
  • Journal entries.
  • Optional auto-identify of items.
  • Optional auto-ammo increases the amount of arrows / bolts / darts to a wanted level.
  • Autodisable quickfight after combat. Some of the older games didn't disable quickfight between fights so you could enter a dangerous fight with quickfight on.
  • Character editor. Reads/modifies memory so it's instant compared to save file editors. Can not be used while in combat.
  • Teleporting. You can teleport to a chosen location on the map. You can also teleport on the world map in some of the games.
  • Save Game Editor. You can edit party composition (swap members in / out), edit inventories and effects.
  • Some modding tools for changing the font and editing game data.
  • Lists saved games chronologically with a description of the location (map name).
  • Able to backup to latest save game with a description.
  • Playing paladin or ranger in Pool of Radiance. Can be exported to Curse of the Azure Bonds.
  • Very experimental monk class for Pool of Radiance. Can be exported to Curse of the Azure Bonds.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

As for your others questions :

Features
Gold Box Companion is a tool for all the Gold Box games plus Unlimited Adventures and the two SSI's Buck Rogers games. It offers automapping, easy-to-use journal entries and helps with some of the interface issues to make playing a little less tedious.

• HUD above DOSBox window with hit points, character icons, XP meters and effects. Shows good effects in green, bad in red. Also shows if a character is level drained.
  • Fix-command for Pool of Radiance. Works with the other games as well. Instantly heals the characters. Optionally also fixes level drained characters. Can not be used while in combat.
  • Optional level up without visiting training halls and without race-/game-related level limits.
  • Store the list of memorized spells and restore the spells with a single click. Can not be used while in combat.
  • Combat view. Shows character / monster locations. Shows if character/monster is held or helpless.
  • Journal entries.
  • Optional auto-ammo increases the amount of arrows / bolts / darts to a wanted level.
  • Autodisable quickfight after combat. Some of the older games didn't disable quickfight between fights so you could enter a dangerous fight with quickfight on.
  • Character editor. Reads/modifies memory so it's instant compared to save file editors. Can not be used while in combat.
  • Teleporting. You can teleport to a chosen location on the map. You can also teleport on the world map in some of the games.
  • Save Game Editor. You can edit party composition (swap members in / out), edit inventories and effects.
  • Lists saved games chronologically with a description of the location (map name).
  • Playing paladin or ranger in Pool of Radiance. Can be exported to Curse of the Azure Bonds.
  • Very experimental monk class for Pool of Radiance. Can be exported to Curse of the Azure Bonds.

Word to your mother. Thank you. How did everyone know about this if it isn't included with the gog downloads?

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
By word of mouth I imagine. I guess some guys talked about it on GOG forums after the release of the forgotten realms archives. Anyway, I dunno how it works, I've never used it myself, still I probably will; I've grown tired of drawing maps by hand.

RPK

Scholar
i had never heard of it before either. the turning off of autocombat and the remembering of spells in particular are very nice. those really annoyed me.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
By word of mouth I imagine. I guess some guys talked about it on GOG forums after the release of the forgotten realms archives. Anyway, I dunno how it works, I've never used it myself, still I probably will; I've grown tired of drawing maps by hand.

I'm starting to think, that even in the old days, I was the only one who only made maps on very rare and annoying occasions. I just walked around until I got lucky or figured it out. Or got frustrated and quit. This may be why I hate retarded, no content dungeon puzzle games to this day. Luckily, all the GB games are almost all real games with content.

RPK

Scholar
not sure if anyone plays Dungeons and dragons Online at all, but they just released a Ravenloft expansion pack. Not sure if the content is any good. They've had a pretty uneven history and MMOs in general are not known for their story, obviously, but I've had a sub for years and plan on checking it out.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

As for your other questions :

Features

• Journal entries.
:what:

Leitz

Learned
I'm about to play this game. Why am I able to edit my characters so that I end up with 18 points in all attributes. How can I play honest when I have this option?

Edit: I'm talking about Strahd's Possession btw. Should I roll a character or max out everything and go with it?

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
How can I play honest when I have this option?
CQlzoLNUYAADYuN.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm about to play this game. Why am I able to edit my characters so that I end up with 18 points in all attributes. How can I play honest when I have this option?

Edit: I'm talking about Strahd's Possession btw. Should I roll a character or max out everything and go with it?

Your stats don't matter except for stat-related reasons, like THAC0 or carry weight and such. There's never a stat/skill check in either game. Consider INT and CHA to be useless stats, and WIS only important for Clerics.

Eye of the Beholder had the same option of modifying stats, and that's also a game where the stats only matter for stat-related reasons.

Dorateen

Arcane
IWhy am I able to edit my characters so that I end up with 18 points in all attributes ?

The SSI games, most notable the Gold Box series, were built this way. The intention was to allow experienced pen and paper players the ability to recreate their characters down to exact stats. Of course this meant you could give everyone in the party all 18's, too. But the decision was left up to the player, trusted to make the game as challenging as they want. Without restrictive interference from the developer.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The SSI games, most notable the Gold Box series, were built this way. The intention was to allow experienced pen and paper players the ability to recreate their characters down to exact stats. Of course this meant you could give everyone in the party all 18's, too. But the decision was left up to the player, trusted to make the game as challenging as they want. Without restrictive interference from the developer.
In Pool of Radiance, setting your party's attributes to higher values results in a larger number of monsters appearing in encounters. Unfortunately, SSI didn't include this effect in later Gold Box games. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom