Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession/Stone Prophet thread

RPK

Scholar
I seem to remember getting torn a new one by those bone golems the first time around.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah they can hit pretty hard. I think there's only 4-5 of them, though.

What's worse is that Bone Golems can paralyze its victims, but only the manual mentions this and not the clue book. One would think that the clue book was the more informative document.

Speaking of the manual and clue book, these has got to be some of the most poorly edited game documents I've ever come across. Large sections seem to be copy-pasted from the Eye of the Beholder 3 manual, and there's even a mention of the spell Create Food & Water, which isn't in the game. By far the worst part is the Bestiary section which has contradicting or just plain wrong entries. In AD&D 2nd Edition, for example, most (if not all) Undead are immune to Hold spells, cold spells and poison. Instead of mentioning this just once, this is brought up in the description of almost every undead monster in the game (which is roughly half of them). And yet the manual says for the Wraith: "However, unlike most Undead, wraiths are immune to Hold and cold-based spells." On the opposite page is the entry for the Wight, which states plainly that Wights are unaffected by Hold and cold-based spells, as well as poison and paralysis.

The Readme.txt file is mandatory reading as well, due to how many omissions there are in the manual. For example how every spell requiring a character to touch an enemy requires a free hand, and Improved Identify works on every item in the spellcaster's inventory, though not on items in containers. Finally the pathetic amount of hot keys in the game are:

S to quicksave a game.
SHIFT+S to restore the quicksave.
T to display the time of day in Ravenloft.
D to drop the currently selected item.

Ravenloft also supports the Cyberman controller, for all you oddware lovers out there.

rezaf

Cipher
Already our paths have departed quite considerably.
As I mentioned earlier, I had one dead partymember - which was indeed Velika. As I tended to have a hard time with a Paladin and a Mage in any kind of engagement - especially once the spells ran out - I tracked back to the starting area, disposed of the enemies there and freed Fhalken the warrior. With two frontline fighters, I fared much better in general, as I was able to do the attack spamming you mentioned. I probably should have heeded your warning, but alas, I ended up searching the buildings in Bharovia. Sure enough, in one of them I was possessed by the spirit of a jeweller, who wants me to head to the Cemetery. Except, I can't get there yet, I reckon you first have to clear the church grounds, but if I even enter the church, he complains that I'm heading the wrong way. This means he takes my lead character out of the action, as he's no longer allowed to attack. But I can't even get into the church proper at all - I reckon you have to further the story first.
In practice, this means all non-mandatory content is now blocked to me, but at least the designers were considerate enough to allow the continuation of the main quest. This also means I usually know exactly where the main quest wants me to go, because as soon as I stray off the path, the possessor will bitch and moan about it.
Thus I had no choice but to head to the meeting with the count, who in turn sent me straight to the caverns.
I let Fhalken go for the Cleric at the entrance and promptly revived Valika, only to let go of her a minute later when I met the guy who says he's an envoy of the burgermeister and who insisted to join. We'll see whether I pick up either of the two again later.

Dungeon dwelling in this game has really aged poorly. The textures look horrible and your comment about D&D on ice couldn't be more spot on. I keep getting stuck on the scenery or overshooting where I want to go. Combat is a clickfest and it's kinda hard to find the time to cast spells since it's so fast paced. I guess I could slow down the DOSBox, but so far I've resisted the urge. I also hate how enemies tend to wander out of your line of sight.
I found ranged weapons to work ok, but it's of course incredibly annoying to pick up all the ammunition again after the combat is over. Especially with the godawful interface. So it's now the dagger of returning and a quarter staff for the fellas in the back.
I keep making little mistakes like pressing the wrong key, hitting ESC when I'd need to right-click the mouse instead, hitting ESC when I' need to click on "Done" instead, hitting ESC when I'd need to right click on the quill instead or clicking on Close when I'd first need to right-click the quill first...
really annoying.

Also, it's true that quality-wise, the speech in this game is rather poor - basically high school theatre level (without constant errors and pauses, though). But it IS consistent and still be a lot better if the audio quality itself wasn't so bad. Guess they had to make some sacrifices to cram all that speech onto one CD-ROM back in those pre-MP3 days.

Anyways, at least all the skeletons in the caverns are a nice change of pace after all those enemies which could quickly overpower or poison me if I wasn't careful.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I probably should have heeded your warning, but alas, I ended up searching the buildings in Bharovia. Sure enough, in one of them I was possessed by the spirit of a jeweller, who wants me to head to the Cemetery. Except, I can't get there yet, I reckon you first have to clear the church grounds, but if I even enter the church, he complains that I'm heading the wrong way. This means he takes my lead character out of the action, as he's no longer allowed to attack. But I can't even get into the church proper at all - I reckon you have to further the story first.
In practice, this means all non-mandatory content is now blocked to me, but at least the designers were considerate enough to allow the continuation of the main quest. This also means I usually know exactly where the main quest wants me to go, because as soon as I stray off the path, the possessor will bitch and moan about it.

IIRC you need to get into the church to get the key to the cemetery, so you may have to gimp your party for a bit while you're completing the church. I'm coming up on this part of the game, so I'll be able to give more info very shortly.

I keep getting stuck on the scenery or overshooting where I want to go. Combat is a clickfest and it's kinda hard to find the time to cast spells since it's so fast paced. I also hate how enemies tend to wander out of your line of sight.

Ditto on all of these. In addition enemies wandering out of line of sight gets extra annoying as when I click on something in the viewscreen and I move ever so slightly. This can lead to monsters directly in front of me disappearing as the game now considers them to be behind me.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Just finished the Old Church...at least for now. First floor is pretty straightforward, there's a group of Hell Hounds to deal with, and they can put up quite a fight. There are several quest hooks here that'll be important later on.

# The Priest seems to be locked in some kind of trance state. Freeing him is the easiest of the quests here, so keep an eye out for a Tome of Evil Artefacts and torn pieces of parchment. Put the pieces of parchment into the book to rebuild the torn page.

# There's also a Guide to a book known as Trimia's Catalogue. This is a very useful scroll, so either make a note of its contents, or keep it around.

# There's quite a lot of illusionary walls and hidden buttons here, so keep an eye out for those.

# Going down to the next floor we'll encounter zombies, skeletons and the Zombie Lord, if you're unlucky enough to find him. He's supposed to be a tough fight, but I killed him with a single casting of Magic Missile and a throw of the Dagger of Throwing.

# Among the neat things here are plenty of containers to help relieve your inventory shortage, including a key ring. The key ring allows you to store up to six keys on it, but otherwise it functions just like every other container.

# If you find a passage with a suspicious hole on the far wall and a door, check the walls.

# A hidden button will open two rooms, one containing Trimia's Catalogue. This is an essential MacGuffin, so don't let it out of your sight.

# If you find a non-moving skeleton in a room down here, make a note of its location for later.

# You may find a hidden door which you can't open. The character gives you a hint that you can't open it until much later on.

# If you're looking to solve the Werewolf quest, all three cleric scrolls needed can be found here. Keep in mind that these are called "Special Scroll of X" to tell them apart. Once you have them, go find the were-man in the cave and use them in the correct order while standing in front of him. In return he'll give you a key to his house, go there to score some really cool stuff!

# I also found a Rod of Smiting +3. As a melee weapon it's on par with the Paladin's Sword, but it also has 12 charges that I haven't figured out how to use. Can anyone help?

# There's a mention in the clue book that having Tatian in your party when you meet Vladislav in the Caves of Ivlis can have fatal results. Anyone know if there's anything to this?

# I'm also wondering about the spells of "Wizard Lock" and "Knock". As I haven't seen a single monster use a door in this game, I question the usage of the former, and I've yet to come across a door that's opened by the latter. Is there anyone whom can shed light on these spells?

rezaf

Cipher
You were right about the church, I had to finish it without my Paladin as the possessing ghost insisted I was going in the wrong places except I HAD to go there to obtain access to the cemetery in the first place. That was some quite terribad quest design right there.

I had a similarly easy time with the Zombie Lord. Gotta admit I thought these zombies were unexpectedly agile and fast. I had someone die a couple of times due to the sheer number of zombies, but reloaded in those instances. Only having one tank dishing out damage definately didn't help.
In the end, it was quite easy regardless - the Bone Golems in the previous dungeon gave me much greater pause.

Having finished the church I went to the cemetary. Much to my horror, it was CREEPING with Ghouls and Vampires. Those things can drain hardly earned levels, which is nothing to be trifled with.
I don't recall having cheesed so much with a single weapon in recent years as I did here with the Dagger of Returning. I think I used it to clear out ALL enemies in the cemetery. Not a single sword unsheathed, not a single arrow fired or spell cast. All Dagger of Returning.
And all means maybe a dozen vampires and probably fifty ghouls. I wonder how this level was supposed to be played from a designers perspective.

Most of the guys that made these games should still be out there, right? Someone like Matt should interview them and ask about that stuff. Always entertaining.

RPK

Scholar
# I also found a Rod of Smiting +3. As a melee weapon it's on par with the Paladin's Sword, but it also has 12 charges that I haven't figured out how to use. Can anyone help?

if i remember right, that skeleton on the floor in the church is a dead cleric. if you go there and have the rod (equipped?) if will give you some sort of dialog to raise him. in d&d raise dead is the little brother to resurrection. since this guy has been dead so long you can't just fix him with a raise dead, you need full resurrection.

RPK

Scholar
it's fun vicariously replaying this game with you two. saves me a lot of time :D

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
if i remember right, that skeleton on the floor in the church is a dead cleric. if you go there and have the rod (equipped?) if will give you some sort of dialog to raise him. in d&d raise dead is the little brother to resurrection. since this guy has been dead so long you can't just fix him with a raise dead, you need full resurrection.

I think you're confusing rods here. A Rod of Smiting is a weapon, through and through. I can't remember what exactly was needed to resurrect the cleric, but it's not this rod.

RPK

Scholar
yep, you're right.

I can't remember where the rod of resurrection is either.

Also don't remember what the charges on the rod of smiting. i think in D&D it expends a charge to destroy a golem or something like that.

rezaf

Cipher
I have a rod of rebirth that I found somewhere, is that the same thing?

Other than that, I finally lifted the possession bestowed upon me by slaying the Ghoul Lord (three throws of the Dagger of Returning). Finally, the jeweller passed on to afterlife.
Then I headed back to finally tackle the Paladin Quest, which I'd also received when clearing the houses earlier but the jeweller prevented me from entering the proper area.
That ended up being a cakewalk, Dagger of Returning for the living walls and otherwise clickfest combat for the wererats. The only thing that forced me to reload a couple of times were the stupid fireballs in the corridors. Such a tired trope. Ah well, at least no teleporters here.
Retrieved the holy symbol and got the Paladins gear as a reward. Neat sword, the rest is essentially useless.

I'm a bit unsure where I should head next. I reckon I could return to the cemetery and clear the remaining crypts, but other than that... I THINK the village has another exit I haven't explored yet.
I'll see about that in my next session - any tips are appreciated.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Cleared out the cemetery. Thank you rezaf for suggesting using the Dagger of Throwing, it proved to be a godsend here.

# Ghouls respawn in the cemetery, so be wary there at all times. At least the Vampiresses don't respawn.

# Cast Negative Plane Protection on your front-rankers while you're here. If it ever fails (ghouls can trigger the spell) then retreat and cast it again.

# If the Dagger of Throwing proves insufficient, use magic spells. Vampiresses tend to succumb to fireballs to the face.

# The Dagger of Throwing's little brother, the Axe of Hurling, can be found in one of the tombs. It's a +1 throwing weapon that does 1-4 damage and returns to the wielder's hand. Makes for a great supplementary weapon to the Dagger.

# Another invaluable treasure here is the Ring of Wizardry. It adds extra spell slots to a Mage's 3rd-level spells, meaning plenty of fireballs for everybody!

# Save before entering every tomb.

# There's a Thief NPC here that you can bring along. At this point in the game he was inferior to Fhaklen and Velika, so I just left him alone.

# The Rod of Rebirth can be found in Victor's tomb, which you can only open by entering the jeweller's house in Barovia. Use the Rod while standing in front of the skeleton in the Old Church, and Mischa the Cleric will be resurrected and offer to join you. He's the only NPC in the game that you only get one chance to recruit, so save before talking to him. (He's a Level 4 Cleric with OK stats.)

# You'll need to rez Mischa to get the Castle Ravenloft key from him. With that in hand you can take the center northern exit from Barovia, clear out Svalich Road North of wolves, and enter the castle. Save before doing so!

# The jeweller's quest is probably the biggest horror element I've seen so far in this game. The animation where it reaches forward and possesses your party is pretty horrific for a 1994 game.

# To enter the Elven Tomb, just read and follow the instructions written on it. The items you need are in the cemetery.

# If you don't follow the instructions and just enter the Elven Tomb, you'll have to fight a Banshee. Good news? She doesn't move. Bad news? She has a truckload of HP and casts Wail of the Banshee every 30 seconds or so, which is a "Save vs Death or die"-affair. I tried fighting her, and while you can hurt her I doubt you can kill her quick enough to survive the battle.

# Throwing weapons don't care about furniture or other similar obstacles. Use that to your advantage if a monster is caught behind some.

# Take an empty quiver of arrows with you to the Elven Tomb.

# One question of curiosity: I have gathered 4 Holy Symbols so far, 3 Cleric ones and a Paladin one. Anyone know what they're for?

RPK

Scholar
yeah, rod of rebirth sounds right. there weren't two items that were that similar in the game.

the cemetery has a dungeon in the form of an elven tomb in it. i don't remember much about it, other than there is a neat piece of loot (no spoilers:) ) in there. i think it was a fun dungeon.

mondblut

Arcane
Now I have a question before actually starting the game and creating my party: I've read the manual for both games, and in Ravenloft 2 there are abilities like backstabbing and trap disabling for Thief characters, and speaking to animals for Rangers. I'm certain none of these abilities appear in Ravenloft 1. While there are NPC Thief and Ranger NPCs in Ravenloft 2, I'm wondering if I'm better off creating these characters myself, or just using the NPCs.

Spending one out of 2 slots on a thief, you are kidding, right? You encounter a thief NPC in RL2 5 minutes into the game if you know where to go, otherwise after the first dungeon.

Cleric/Ranger is half of a staple RL party (the other being fighter/mage, ofc), so it doesn't hurt to have one, even though you can find a cleric/ranger npc fairly soon in RL2 too. Speaking to animals is essential for story, but there is an item which does it so you don't have to.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm playing these games mostly blind, so drop the smug attitude. At least you answered some of my questions.

Meanwhile I just finished the first floor of the Elven Tomb, and made some progress with the second floor.

This dungeon is what gives Ravenloft its bad name. It's nothing but filler with boatloads of monsters that drain your levels. The game is nice enough not to give an indicator on the character sheet if you have been level drained, so use multiple saves while in here. Save before opening every door.

The first floor is pretty straightforward in layout. The only tricky part is finding the button that opens the first door in a sequence of four, then knowing that you must keep pushing buttons in the new areas to open the next door.

The second floor raises the stakes by having seven buttons to find to open a series of doors leading to the trinket the Elf Ghost asks for.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
# One question of curiosity: I have gathered 4 Holy Symbols so far, 3 Cleric ones and a Paladin one. Anyone know what they're for?
As far as I know, useless.

Indeed, dagger of throwing is godsend. I used it very extensively in Cemetery, Elven Tomb and beyond.

rezaf

Cipher
# If you don't follow the instructions and just enter the Elven Tomb, you'll have to fight a Banshee. Good news? She doesn't move. Bad news? She has a truckload of HP and casts Wail of the Banshee every 30 seconds or so, which is a "Save vs Death or die"-affair. I tried fighting her, and while you can hurt her I doubt you can kill her quick enough to survive the battle.

I'm pretty sure she's just flagged as invincible. If you rush off to the side immediately after entering the tomb you can carefully maneuver into a position where you can hit her with the Dagger of Returning and she won't fire back or react in any way.
From there I hit here like 50 times without her dying. I rushed back out and only then read the actual inscription and proceeded to solve the puzzle, which makes the Banshee disappear.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Progress has been made, I'm currently in the Greater Barovian Catacombs.

# The Elven Tomb is utterly pointless except to get one of the plot-vital items. Finding those 7 buttons isn't a problem if you keep your eyes open, but two of them can be hard to find: One button is down a long corridor with a fireball spitter, so it's easy to miss as most people will just run past it, and another is in a secret room in the far SE corner of the map. You get some nice loot for completing the Elven Tomb, though.

# Next stop afterwards is Castle Ravenloft. This has so far been the most entertaining dungeon in the game, as it has something resembling puzzles and tough fights. Doom Guards and Gargoyles don't provide much trouble, and there's an occasional Vampiress to keep players on their toes. But the Zombie Golems? Bad News. They move fast and hit HARD. A single Zombie Golem can kill a fully-healed party member in less than a second. The first ones are encountered solo, but soon enough you'll be running into duos, or solos backed up by lots of Doom Guards.

# The best way to deal with them (besides the regular save-scumming, Negative Plane Protection and Haste castings) is to also cast Invisibility '10, especially if there's more than one of them. Walk right up to one and hit it with everything you've got. Usually you can kill one of them before the other one even realizes you're there.

# The basement has Skeletons, Wights and a Vampiress or two, but otherwise there's nothing down there except fights and a single scroll of Raise Dead.

# The first goal here is to find three keys: A Silver Tower Key, another Tower Key and a Blood Key. The Blood Key is past a room with two Zombie Golems in the NW corner of one of the floors, and to be honest I already forgot where the other two are, but you need them to ascend the two towers of the castle.

# The biggest challenge Castle Ravenloft provides is navigating it. There are several floors and plenty of stairs going up and down, as well as illusionary walls all around. I suggest making a note of every one you find, and only start moving upwards once you've cleared out every floor the best you can.

# One tower not only requires the Silver Tower Key, but requires it three times on three floors in a row. Talk about stretching the yarn and having stupid security/level design.

# At the top of that tower is Anshelm, a good Fighter NPC that replaced Fhalken in my party despite having 2 fewer character levels. Anshelm has more Strength, more Constitution and (believe it or not) more HP!

# The other tower has tougher fights (the bottom floor of it has two Zombie Golems) but eventually you'll be up against a few Doom Guards and an Inquisitor, whom died in the blink of an eye.

# The castle is also the only really scary part of the game, as it actually manages to build a somewhat spooky ambiance with all the delapidated furniture and random SFX played. In here they actually feel right, unlike those in Barovia.

# Behind a secret door in the library is the lock requiring the Blood Key, opening it reveals a passage that has the Tarokka Card (one of the game's MacGuffins) and a staircase going deep down. The endgame is down that way, so I left that alone and exited the castle once I had freed the Inquisitor's prisoner and killed everything else that moved in the castle.

# After this you should have a clear path to your next goal. Follow that and eventually you'll end up abandoned in a room in the Greater Barovian Catacombs, a.k.a. Just Another Pointless Maze. Besides navigating the seemingly endless twisting corridors to the exit, you must also find 15 Barovian coins down here, so make sure you have plenty of free inventory space. Don't worry, once you unlock the exit from down here you can return at will.

# It's what comes after this place that has me interested: The lowest floor of the Old Church. IIRC it's there that I found the means to cast Restoration, but it's also the point where almost all of the level-draining monsters of the game are dead and gone.

# I discovered a bug that people might want to be aware of: When loading a saved game the time of day may be different from one reload to the next. This is only really a problem in the early game where some maps fill up with enemies at night.

# I also discovered an exploit: Want to be rid of the cooldown period between casting spells? Close and immediately re-open the spellbook again. You are now ready to cast another spell!

EDIT: Just remembered something. There's another place I couldn't open, this one in the Old Church. In the SE corner a secret button is supposed to be pushed to reach Trimia's Catalogue, but there's also a third door in that room that I can't open. Anyone know how to open it?

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
And...finished. Due to various reasons I saw a need to cut this short, so I just rushed what was left of the game.

# In regards to the Greater Catacombs of Barovia: You pretty much have to walk through every square of the map to find the 15 coins. The last one proved elusive, but just west of the exit stairs up there's a long west/east corridor. Check for a secret button on the north side where there's a gap in the map.

# The Old Church: Pretty straightforward. Illusionary walls will be your biggest obstacle here.

# The Undead Forest: Hooh boy, this is a slugfest. You enter here by going through any "mists" wall in the game after you've bought the potion from the Vistani. You'll get a short (but cool) animation where you walk through a fog-ridden wasteland, before being dumped in a large, open map with nothing but trees for company. Problem is, half of those trees want to kill you. Treants hit pretty hard and they'll swarm you at first. The goal is to survive the first onslaught so you can establish a beach head here.

# The key to that is the spell Invisibility '10. Cast that on top of all your other buff spells. Then head for the edge of the map, turn around and try to kill as many Treants as possible. Use spells willy-nilly here, this is a battle of life and death! If at any point you're at death's door, just walk back into the mists and you'll be dropped off at Old Svalich Road North. Just keep in mind that it's now full of zombies...

# Don't enter the white swirly thingies that are dotted around the map, as they'll teleport you around. That can be bad in this place. Leave them for later.

# Once you've established a beach head in the Undead Forest, go on a "Seek and Destroy" mission throughout the map. Leave no Treant alive. Your primary goal is to find two Seeds of Lathander, but there's some other stuff here as well.

# When the trees are no longer attacking, finish sweeping up stuff you want and then find the white swirly thingy that's on the middle of the east side of the map. Rest up, buff up, save up, then enter. You'll find yourself in ANOTHER map full of triggered trees, and you have to do the above steps all over again, including gathering the Seeds of Lathander. At least Treants are full of XP, so kill them all!

# In the first map you may have seen an interesting stone circle. In the latter map the same circle is there, except there's a healthy tree in the middle. Inside the large stone circle are four smaller circles. Place the Seeds of Lathander in each one, and the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind will be revealed. Grab it and get back to Barovia.

# By now you should have a Red Gem, an Elven Crown, a Wereraven feather, a Tarokka Card, Trimia's Catalogue and the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind. Time to wrap this up. Head to Castle Ravenloft and find the stairs next to the Blood Bat lock. Go down.

# From the room you end up in you can go North or South. South has nothing but zombies and some minor loot, but North has quite a few Zombie Golems, a couple of Vampiresses and a stairway that's blocked off by a teleporter. Check the outer walls to find stairs going down to small rooms (watch out for the Zombie Golems). Look for a secret button in them, first in the North room and then in the East Room.

# If you've explored all the vaults in the large mausoleum, you should have been unable to open the one in the center. It should now be open. Go in there and you'll be teleported to the South staircase. Ahead of you is the Big Bad Boss Fight, so prepare yourselves, wield that Holy Symbol of Ravenkind and go confront Strahd.

# When/if you beat him, go pick up the item he drops, then use Trimia's Catalogue to end the game. Enjoy the end sequence!

---

I ended the game with my Fighter/Cleric at Level 8/8, as I suffered a level drain that cost me a Cleric level and I didn't notice until too late. Meanwhile my Mage escaped unscathed and just barely reached Level 11. That talk about the 400000 XP at the end of the game amount turned out to be pretty accurate.

Now, I played this game some 10+ years ago, and I SWEAR I found a way to restore lost levels in the game! It had something to do with the Old Church and the Priest there, but I can't remember what I did exactly. This vexes me to no end, but I've checked several walkthrough online, and NONE of them shed any further light on this! I'm not going crazy here!

But frankly? If I couldn't find it now, I'm not gonna bother looking for it. I have a pretty good review ready and waiting for this game, but before I post it I'm gonna play through the sequel...and here's where I come across a small problem. Due to Real Life reasons on my end, I may not have a proper time for that until a month from now at the earliest. But I'm not abandoning this, consider this a temporary hiatus.

mondblut

Arcane
I'm playing these games mostly blind, so drop the smug attitude.

You finished it once, FFS.

Regardless, everyone with basic RPG background knows you never waste your party slots on thieves. Even if it's not AD&D. Even if you have 8 slots and not 2. Thieves can't fight, thieves can't cast, anything thieves can do can be replicated by those who can fight or can cast, and rest assured every actually important lock will be unpickable because muh story, thou needst thy Ruby Key.

Asking if you need need a thief, in AD&D game to boot, is like asking if you need 18 charisma on your fighter :obviously:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It's funny how simple so many of these pre-Fallout RPGs are, which is probably why they appeal only to elderly, washed-up males.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom