Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Quake Games Suck

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
BTW, reguarding Q2 vs Q3 as far multiplayer goes, i'd say Q3 had the advantage of looking a lot of more colorful. I haven't played Quake 2 multiplayer for over a decade, but what i remember the most from the maps is that everything was orange lol.
I love Quake 3, but the grenade launcher physics suck. The grenade launcher in Quake 2 was one of the best weapons, and in Quake 3 it is practically useless.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Not a big fan of the squad gameplay in Quake 4.
Wish they would've just let you go Solo vs the Strogg, though there are many sections in the game where it's just you vs Strogg.
Really cool design on the Strogg themselves and their facilities, especially that Stroggification part in the game...
Brutal.
Yeah, many unnecessary things in the game. Cutscenes, vehicle sections, squad segments...

This is why I say that core gameplay is good, but burdened with many superficial features that shouldn't really be there

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Also level design, the levels are way less spacious than levels in Q1 and Q2 and thus encounters are really tight.

Same shit with Doom 3. Artificial difficulty. You can't dodge anything because movement is too slow and you have no room to move around in the first place.

janior

Arcane
Patron
doom 3 is pretty good atmospheric horror shooter with some strikingly cool visuals and art
quake 4 was... just some very bad halo/cod clone, no redeeming qualities rly

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
doom 3 is pretty good atmospheric horror shooter with some strikingly cool visuals and art
I had more fun with Quake 4 than Halo. The worst part about Quake 4 is how Raven fucked up the aesthetic - doesn't resemble Quake 2 at all. And the vehicle bits felt tacked on. Definitely the beginning of Raven's decline, IMO.

Beans00

Erudite
I had more fun with Quake 4 than Halo.

That part is you coping. Old boomer shooter autists will endlessly bitch about halo for the 2 weapon limit and scripted events. Ok you don't like that gameplay fair enough, whatever.

But don't sit here and write quake 4 was better then halo. Quake 4 was literally a dogshit tech demo for the 360. Zero redeeming features and shit multiplayer that was dead halfway through 2006.

Beans00

Erudite
Quake 4 was better than Halo, faggot.

Halo 3 sold 14.5 million copies
Halo 2 sold 8.4 Million (xbox only)
halo 1 sold 5 million (xbox only)
Reach sold just under 10mill
odst sold 3 mill

Quake 4 sold 390k copies (pc and 360 combined)

You can still hop on halo 1-2-3-reach 23-14 years later and find people to play. Playing an 8v8 gets you into a game with maybe a 45 second queue.

Quake 4 was DEAD, and I'm saying it like that because I owned it at launch for the 360. In 2006. It was impossible to get games because it was so trash. Literally one of the worst shooters I owned from that period, on par with project snowblind and pariah, and red faction 2.

Quake 4 was so bad it killed raven, an otherwise competent company who recently brought us jedi outcast/academy. Quake 4 turned them into a call of duty DLC farm sinking their value so low they were bought out.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I had more fun with Quake 4 than Halo. The worst part about Quake 4 is how Raven fucked up the aesthetic - doesn't resemble Quake 2 at all. And the vehicle bits felt tacked on. Definitely the beginning of Raven's decline, IMO.
Quake 4 is better than Halo.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Quake 4 is better than Halo.
it's definitely not, either on par or better

Hell Swarm

Educated
I had more fun with Quake 4 than Halo.

That part is you coping. Old boomer shooter autists will endlessly bitch about halo for the 2 weapon limit and scripted events. Ok you don't like that gameplay fair enough, whatever.

But don't sit here and write quake 4 was better then halo. Quake 4 was literally a dogshit tech demo for the 360. Zero redeeming features and shit multiplayer that was dead halfway through 2006.
Doom 3 was also a tech demo. And Quake 4 doesn't do much better than Doom 3 if I recall.

I wonder how many people who like Quake 4 also like Republic commando. I'd love a good star wars FPS (outside of the dark forces series which runs like shit on modern machines) but I couldn't get either of those games to click with me. I think people who like one would like the other.

Beans00

Erudite
Doom 3 was also a tech demo. And Quake 4 doesn't do much better than Doom 3 if I recall.

I wonder how many people who like Quake 4 also like Republic commando. I'd love a good star wars FPS (outside of the dark forces series which runs like shit on modern machines) but I couldn't get either of those games to click with me. I think people who like one would like the other.

Republic commando was way better than quake 4.
Doom 3 at least had a vision. They wanted to make a horror fps, I don't think they executed it particularly well. Doom 3 also really pushed the envelope with graphics and lighting. I don't particularly like doom 3 but it beats the pants off Q4.

Quake 4 is about as generic and boring as anything ever. Somehow they fucked up the doom 3 ai which wasn't half bad.

Basically, the only people who would prefer Q4 to halo are;
1. Trolling, which is fine I do some trolling myself sometimes.
2. From third world countries where they could not afford the xbox, or the xbox was not released. They played quake 1-2 and doom in 2005, then played quake 4 in 2017 when they upgraded to nvidia 5500 cards and cpus with 2.4 MHZ. NecroLord likely falls into this category.

Beans00

Erudite

Who gives a fuck how much it sold that says nothing about actual quality.

I can't imagine something as shitty as Quake 4 being worse than anything but i wouldn't discount it either.

This isn't comparing toee or vtmb to oblivion, games with vastly different team sizes, production values ect.

Quake 4 was the same mainstream AAA slop that halo was, made to sell a new console. With those expectations it is objectively worse and a complete failure.

Quake 4 is more linear then any halo game
quake 4 is more scripted then any halo game
quake 4 has worse guns then any halo game objectively
quake 4 has absolutely dismal enemy AI, which regardless of what you think about halo the AI is objectively very good.
quake 4 has completely terrible vehicle sections, a staple of trash mid 00s shooters.
quake 4 had objectively terrible multiplayer

The only thing quake 4 managed to accomplish was to somehow be worse than perfect dark zero(another shitty 360 launch fps).

DOOM 92 is a 10 outta 10
Doom 2 is an 8 outta 10
Quake 1 is a light 8
Quake 2 is more of a 7.5
Quake 3 was fun with friends so not a "real" experience imo
never bothered with the other games

Hell Swarm

Educated
It would be fun playing through all the failed 2000s FPS. Like Haze, Quake 4 etc. See what jank we could add to the jank thread.

Quake 4 sold 390k copies (pc and 360 combined)
I didn't even know Quake 4 came out for years until after it was released. Seriously.
I think I heard about q4 once back in the day, but it was in a very small bit in a gaming magazine. Meanwhile Half Life 2 was in prime time news (probably the only videogame to make them actually)

And I kinda forgot about it until the early 2010s when gaming youtube became a thing for me.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
And I kinda forgot about it until the early 2010s when gaming youtube became a thing for me.
Yeah, that's how I found out. I ran across a years old review of it on YouTube and was pretty stunned that Quake 4 actually happened and somehow I missed it.

It's kind of hard for me to imagine so many people on here hating the game considering it was made for Raven, and I can't really think of anything I've played that Raven made before Activision put them on Call of Duty that wasn't good. I've never played any Call of Duty game, so I can't comment on those.

honko

Educated
Just went back to give quake 2 another shot, and its even worse and sucks. Sound track is as generic as metallica and the enemies all look the same. How did people eat this shit up back then? I'll take half life any day.

Just went back to give quake 2 another shot, and its even worse and sucks. Sound track is as generic as metallica and the enemies all look the same. How did people eat this shit up back then? I'll take half life any day.
I remember the hype being mostly about how cool it looked when you had a good gfx card to run it "properly". so it was one of the first high profile gfx whore games.

chzr

Erudite
did quake 3 even have any sort of singleplayer campaign? no, i will not look it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom