Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Quake Games Suck

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You need to tell us what the hell is simulator sickeness first.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, that's pretty bad, but i'm not sure exactly what they could to do to make it better. That wiki mentions changing FOV might help but that should be possible in any source port you might try that first.

Do you experience the same thing in other shooters?

I remember when i first started playing shooters i used to lose my breath every time i had to drop down any kind of height, but it went away rather quickly.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Do you experience the same thing in other shooters?
Some, but not all; not common with modern titles. Mostly older ones like Battlefield 1942; Rainbow Six; Rise of the Triad (this one is milder, and tolerable for longer periods). Never in Doom or Quake [Heretic/Hexen], nor any Build Engine game (including Ion Maiden), nor the original Unreal.

Beans00

Erudite

Here's how you do edgy: co-op itself is retarded.

I recently played doom 1/2 and heretic in co op. They were all fun playing with a friend. I'm not exactly sure why quake 1/2 would be magically worse in co op, especially since you can control the parameters of the game. Ie most doom source ports let you turn off respawning ect.

If you want to admit you're a loser incel with no friends you could just do that instead of saying co op is retarded lol.

schru

Arcane

I recently played doom 1/2 and heretic in co op. They were all fun playing with a friend. I'm not exactly sure why quake 1/2 would be magically worse in co op, especially since you can control the parameters of the game. Ie most doom source ports let you turn off respawning ect.

If you want to admit you're a loser incel with no friends you could just do that instead of saying co op is retarded lol.
The games were designed for singleplayer mode, though I think the way Heretic is, it wouldn't be affected too much, since it's just nowhere near the excellence of Doom. New players aren't going to know how to set up co-operative games properly so as not to spoil the gameplay entirely (as co-operative mode does necessarily spoil it), not to mention that source ports aren't part of the original game.

Play the games in their original versions first, then play around with other modes and modifications.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I rest my case.

rumSaint

Novice

This is some reddit level insult shit. Stop it. Get some help.

Quake games are meant to be played as single player, or multiplayer PvP.

Beans00

Erudite

The games were designed for singleplayer mode, though I think the way Heretic is, it wouldn't be affected too much, since it's just nowhere near the excellence of Doom. New players aren't going to know how to set up co-operative games properly so as not to spoil the gameplay entirely (as co-operative mode does necessarily spoil it), not to mention that source ports aren't part of the original game.

Play the games in their original versions first, then play around with other modes and modifications.

This is some reddit level insult shit. Stop it. Get some help.

Quake games are meant to be played as single player, or multiplayer PvP.

I have played and beaten doom 1/2 and heretic in single player, so did my friend. We replayed them several(like 20 for me, less for him) years later co op. Most shooters in general work fine in co op. I guess horror games would lose the atmosphere, and I don't see the point in playing something like system shock 2 co op. Really this just sounds like autistic people sperging out they don't have anyone to play games with lol.

As for quake I don't know. I didn't particularly like quake 1 or 2, obviously both have their place in history. I find them chronically unfun to play compared to doom 1/2 or duke 3d. I would disagree with the op about quake 2's weapon variety. Quake 2 has a pretty good arsenal. Quake 1 has one of the worst arsenals in the history of fps minus the super nail gun.

Ash

Arcane
Don't listen to Beans00 he is a tryhard liar who only discovered Doom in 2007 which he played in coop "I'm too young to die". He has never played it singleplayer.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I've always been a big fan of shooters and I have been going back and playing old school ones lately. I recently played quake 1/2 with a friend on COOP and they are dogshit! I enjoyed plenty of other games from this era, but these games are not fun at all. I want to shoot guys, not do some lame puzzle that makes me backtrack through entire levels. Soundtrack sucks, enemies are boring/annoying, level design sucks, and the weapon variety is very poor. Does anyone else feel this way?
Try explaining why you think these things suck instead of single word reasons?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Quake 1 was designed with constant motion in mind. This is a game where you are supposed to be running and gunning and exploring the level all at the same time, and was probably designed this way because it was the first fully 3D shooter which probably invited or inspired this particular approach.

Compared to some of the 2D sector-based games, it felt like it was something of a step back but once you take it for what it is it becomes an extremely close-knit experience that never gets boring. Compared to some of the later 3D shooters like Unreal, there's a fluidity and elegance in how everything comes toghether in Quake that's almost unmatched. Within the scope of what Quake 1 does it is almost a pefect game.

Nothing wrong with preferring Duke3D or any of the classic shooters but anybody who claims Quake was complete shit is talking out of his ass.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulator_sickness

*Essentially you can feel it start like a mild headache that gets more intense the longer you play (over about 10 to 15 minutes until it's unbearable); —for me at least— it can last over an hour after I'd stop playing. It's not at all pleasant, and could potentially cause vomiting.

Mine started with Half Life back then, the part with warehouse that had lots of claymores in it and we had to move without shooting them. It was the slowest part of the game dammit....
It is quite unpleasant when it kicks in, can't play some games just because of it. Because once my brain senses that, fucker always remember with that game...

On topic, I don't really like Quake 2 that much but anyone that don't like Quake 1 is not a fan of the shooter genre and is a faggot.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane

I play coop Doom on Zandronum all the time and there's nothing you guys can do about it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I play coop Doom on Zandronum all the time and there's nothing you guys can do about it.
We used to play Doom 2 coop every week back in the mid1990s. We'd spend the week either making maps, or abusing the university's network FTPing and testing Doom 2 wads for one night on the weekend. We had one friend that used to always shoot anything in front of him that moved, so we quickly learned not to run ahead especially in dark areas. It was funny because he eventually started bitching about having to always go first in to new areas. My friend said, "Well, if I go first, you'll shoot me with that double barrelled shotgun and then you'll be first again." Good times.

And no, we never moved to Quake co-op. It just wasn't the same.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
We used to play Doom 2 coop every week back in the mid1990s. We'd spend the week either making maps, or abusing the university's network FTPing and testing Doom 2 wads for one night on the weekend. We had one friend that used to always shoot anything in front of him that moved, so we quickly learned not to run ahead especially in dark areas. It was funny because he eventually started bitching about having to always go first in to new areas. My friend said, "Well, if I go first, you'll shoot me with that double barrelled shotgun and then you'll be first again." Good times.

Playing Doom is legitimately a bonding experience.
Have you seen Sandy Petersen playing Doom with his granddaughter?
It's on his YT channel.

Hell Swarm

Educated

The good old days of coop play where you did it for fun and it wasn't some big objective. Just dudes hanging out shooting the shit together.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
When i used to have LAN parties, most attempts at playing co-op resulted in failure because there was always that one asshole who couldn't or wouldn't coordinate his play with the rest of us. Now Doom is basic enough that it may work even if you have that one retarded friend who just can't play ball with the rest, but even then you can tell the game was designed for singleplayer. In Memento Mori, there's a few maps that were actually designed for co-op (which annoyingly can only be 100% with cheats now if you play the megawad solo) which shows how maps could be designed if the game were to support co-op from the get go.

Then, i had a friend who wanted to play co-op with me in Baldur's Gate, which was not a particularly good idea. Co-op cannot be demanded out of every game, and yet, frequently, you always see that one retard not only demanding that co-op be supported, but even go so far as claim the game is shit unless there's a co-op option in it whether the game was meant to have it or not.

Quake was clearly and fundamentally designed for single player. The multiplayer part is the PVP. Arguing that the game is shit because it doesn't work well in co-op even though it was never meant to is just asinine. "But Doom worked in co-op". Yeah well Quake isn't Doom. Deal with it. Levels in Quake were designed around constant motion and verticality. If that doesn't work for co-op so be it. What should have they done, renounce this design style for the sake of co-op? Should all games always be similarly limited in how they can be made for the sake of co-op?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom