Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They made the fucking thing work on Switch.
I wouldn't be too worried.

Plus Coalition even showed Gears 5 running at 120 fps on it. Rainbow Six Siege is getting also 4k/120 upgrade.
Imo, too much bitching about a non issue.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
k7ars5draem51.jpg

yellowcake

Arcane
You have an Elite and you've never used the paddles? Weird. BTW, I believe you're supposed to bind them to whatever button you want on the controller's software, AFAIK.

Normally the paddles can only be mapped to the face buttons, but if you use REWASD you can remap them to anything.

You can remap them to any other button/trigger, also customize a few other things like trigger range/repeat ratio etc in the XBOX accessories app on win10.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Plus Coalition even showed Gears 5 running at 120 fps on it. Rainbow Six Siege is getting also 4k/120 upgrade.

I'm not sure what kind of point you think you're making here. Older games designed around lesser memory abilities working well on it doesn't at all address the worry that it will impact future game design 5 years from now.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron

I'm not sure what kind of point you think you're making here. Older games designed around lesser memory abilities working well on it doesn't at all address the worry that it will impact future game design 5 years from now.
In that Inside S video the beardy dude said in first hand developers design for X and then they scale it down for S.

Point is if they could make a port on a potato like Switch work I doubt there will be trouble scaling it down for S to atleast 1080/60.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Point is if they could make a port on a potato like Switch work I doubt there will be trouble scaling it down for S to atleast 1080/60.

This very much depends on the engine. The current id tech stuff is extremely well optimized, I played Doom Eternal with max settings at 120fps on release day, which is insane. The Switch ports run at sub-HD and sub-30fps, so they're not miracles really. It's a much different thing from games using more demanding engines in 2025 being designed to be able to run on a 4tflop gpu with this kind of memory setup. Again, I'm not an expert, and neither are you, but it sounds completely sensible to me that devs are saying it's an issue on Twitter.

Kitchen Utensil

Lots of stories and tweets going around today about the memory size and bandwidth of the Series S being an issue. DF even mentioned it in their video about the announcement, and they almost always try to be universally positive. Unless the Series S is a WiiU style failure, devs are going to design around 8GB total memory and limited bandwidth for the next 5+ years.

Which would be a good thing.

Seriously, games haven't gotten any better with more potent hardware over the last two decades or so. All that this additional power lead to were graphical gimmicks which made the games look better, yes, but the important things for people who like games, like gameplay systems, level design, narrative etc universally suffered. Watch these retards now pushing Ray Tracing and 4k, two incredibly expensive standards hardware-wise, and still produce good-looking crap that performs like shit even on the Series X and still doesn't have the gameplay and systems in place which would justify upgrading a PC that can utilise all this shit.

Before you're telling me that's the point: no, even without a Series S, games wouldn't suddenly become better games. The hardware has been good enough for at least a decade to build near perfect gaming experiences. Even the graphics of ten years old games can be nice enough, when the artists know what they're doing.

We don't need better hardware, we need better game devs, less greedy suits and less retarded players who buy all this shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I'm far from a graphics whore, so I agree with a lot of what you're saying. However there's a difference between pure fidelity... look at how real this basket looks!... and greater freedom to have larger levels, more open areas, more NPCs on screen at once, shorter load times, etc. etc. Memory plays a part in all of that from what I've read. It's just gonna suck a bit if Dishonored 3 has to cut back on the zone size because the detail they insist on wasting resources on can't all fit at once into the Series S's memory pool.

^Well there was also the whole "always online" thing when current gen launched. I'm surprised that in the end after trying to shove that crap down their throats, having a significantly weaker machine that was significantly more expensive and no exclusives to speak of MS still managed to sell almost half as much as PS4.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

I'm far from a graphics whore, so I agree with a lot of what you're saying. However there's a difference between pure fidelity... look at how real this basket looks!... and greater freedom to have larger levels, more open areas, more NPCs on screen at once, shorter load times, etc. etc. Memory plays a part in all of that from what I've read. It's just gonna suck a bit if Dishonored 3 has to cut back on the zone size because the detail they insist on wasting resources on can't all fit at once into the Series S's memory pool.

Freedom isn't so much about zone size though. Yes, the Dishonored 2 levels were larger than in D1, but I didn't think that made it a superior game. Also with the Next-gen consoles it's not so much about memory pool size, but about streaming asset capabilities. No doubt this should lead to more intricate worlds.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hearing enough hype and discussion about the $25/35 monthly console + gamepass option from normie friends, coworkers and students to think it's gonna be a big fucking deal.

Hearing enough hype and discussion about the $25/35 monthly console + gamepass option from normie friends, coworkers and students to think it's gonna be a big fucking deal.

With Xbox SeS + Gamepass M$ made perfect combo for casual dudes that just need to play their annual FIFA/NBA/CoD/AssCreed stuff, I predict insane success.

Cromwell

Arcane
With Xbox SeS + Gamepass M$ made perfect combo for casual dudes that just need to play their annual FIFA/NBA/CoD/AssCreed stuff

I also played nier, I got CK3, the yakuza games (0 k1 and k2) and a lot more I liked to play. I will Play Dragon quest XI definitive in a while on xbox too. It is a good deal especially for poorfags who definetly cant update their Computers even to the series X standards and buy all those games. Of course on PC theres piracy as an option but still.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I feel the need to point out you can also use Amazon financing to get a 3070 for $50 a month or whatever, though obviously there's interest involved in that case.

Cromwell

Arcane
I feel the need to point out you can also use Amazon financing to get a 3070 for $50 a month or whatever, though obviously there's interest involved in that case.

credit is always an option. personally I will buy the thing since while I can tolerate a renting flatrate for games I dont feel the need to strictly own I dont like to buy other stuff via credit if I can help it. I just wanted to say that, if you play on console / pc the gamepass is a good deal notonly for people who buy their ass creed etc.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
credit is always an option. personally I will buy the thing since while I can tolerate a renting flatrate for games I dont feel the need to strictly own I dont like to buy other stuff via credit if I can help it. I just wanted to say that, if you play on console / pc the gamepass is a good deal notonly for people who buy their ass creed etc.

Oh I definitely think the average consumer loves the subscription model. Subs taking over video and music as fast as they did proves that pretty succinctly. I have no doubt they'll take over gaming eventually, sooner or later. Bundling it with a financing deal on the console itself is marketing genius. Sony will have to respond eventually, or be left behind.

I just don't want to hear these people bitch in 10 years when there are a dozen different services with exclusive games you can't buy anywhere. Anyone who can't see that coming is literally a retard.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
xCloud hits tomorrow for all Game Pass Ultimate subs. I even got a cute virtual badge as a beta tester.
So far only Hellblade and Minecraft Dungeons are playable with touch controls for the rest you need a gamepad.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/14/cloud-gaming-with-xbox-game-pass-ultimate

Also Sony is prob gonna reveal price and release date for PS5 on wendesday with some new game announcements. 22.00 CEST

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Pretty sure MS forced their hand to have a $499 option. Whether that's the discless version or the disc version, who knows. They can't write-off huge losses as easy as MS can.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom