Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Pleasures of Age of Decadence at RPS

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
POOPERSCOOPER said:
I have vivid memories of going to the raider place at night to save Tandi while dressed in leather and the main raider guy thinking I'm a ghostly visage of his father which you can use to your advantage in getting Tandi released or it may fuck you over since he never liked his dad.

Damn, how do you find out to expolit that? Who tells you?

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Now, it has been very nice and elitist and we all agree that F1 has more and interesting c&c compared to BG2 but as somebody else said, I'd like to see VD pull that off next tuesday or was it thursday?
Also, will AoD feature:
1. exclusive areas?
2. eastereggs?
3. npc followers?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I remember an old discussion here where someone argued that Fallout forced you to fight a lot and that you had to fight the radscorpions in that cave (which is an optional quest, btw), but if the game was really that awesome, it would have let you to do something awesome like sealing or blowing up the entrance. Then he was told that he actually could blow up the entrance. I think his response was "you can't know these things without reading a walkthrough!". Good times.

BethesdaLove said:
Also, will AoD feature:
1. exclusive areas?
2. eastereggs?
3. npc followers?
No to all questions.

There are no exclusive areas, but some areas are very, very difficult (almost impossible?) to access unless you are on the right team:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/editorials/a ... cejtz1.php

"Originally, the only way to get inside was by joining House Aurelian and serving it faithfully. However, even though the tower is not a mandatory location (it's one of the ways to find out something else), I dislike when games tell me that there is only one way of doing something, so we tweaked it, adding two more ways to acquire the "key" either by stealth (insane amount of different checks in text adventure mode - only a master thief can pull it off) or combat (that's a purely hypothetical option because no dude is THAT bad)."

almondblight

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
I remember an old discussion here where someone argued that Fallout forced you to fight a lot and that you had to fight the radscorpions in that cave (which is an optional quest, btw), but if the game was really that awesome, it would have let you to do something awesome like sealing or blowing up the entrance. Then he was told that he actually could blow up the entrance. I think his response was "you can't know these things without reading a walkthrough!". Good times.

I thought Dogmeat was better, and that remains one of my most memorable gaming experiences. "Wonder if I coud feed him....holy shit." I used to play through all games trying things like that, until I realized that sans-adventure games (where gameplay consists of nothing but this), there just really isn't that level of interaction. Fallout did this sometimes, which was awesome, but not that often (I think Fallout's numerous flaws are often overlooked, ah well). Deus Ex did some cool things too (though never finished playing that).

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
St. Toxic said:
I think alot of people, in blind admiration, followed VD's example when he fellated FO3, and now that he has flip-flopped they're angrily trying to reconcile their confused feelings, in whatever way they can. :cool:
Bethout may not be a stellar example of an RPG, but it can be a fun game. It may be burdened by a plethora of outright idiotic design decisions, not the least of which is that Beth continues to implement the same flaws, probably because it's easier and they know they can get away with it, but only some of those can't be fixed by mods.
With sixty to eighty mods, Bethout is a pretty good game.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Dicksmoker said:
baby arm said:
Pooperscooper tells you. Weren't you paying attention?

I meant how do you find out that the leader has a thing with his dad.

I don't think you could have known unless you had built the right character. There is various reports on how to do it with some people saying you need high INT and CH with speech, those and a leather jacket, coming at night, and my own personal thought of it having to do with the age of your character you choose. The time I did it, I picked a middle aged character but thats only speculation on my part. There is also the possibility that it just has to do with luck.

I thought Per guide would have had a detailed explanation on it but he says it just LUCK check which St. Toxic refutes and so do I. I'm going to try and contact him about it.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
So ya you need 9 luck and then there is a 50% chance of getting it per Per;

"This is straight from the game script, so I can guarantee with roughly 100% certainty that it's this and nothing else. I suppose there's a possibility that the UK and US scripts are different, but, yeah, still around 100%. "

denizsi

Arcane
I got that in Fallout (being mistaken for the guy's dead father) in my first ever play. I still remember it sharply: I had a Luck of 5, and an age of 30-something. I went there in broad day light. He freaked out, thinking I'm his dead coming back from the grave. It was the most unexpected experience, and a most pleasing one.

Holy fucking shit! This is like "my girlfriend said she wants me to take her out to dancing. I didn't. She got mad at me and stuff. I don't get what's wrong with her". Unbelievable.

I wonder how some people simply survive on a day-to-day basis. VD, you might want to revise some of the rules in character creation in AOD; people of extreme low intelligence apparently have the capability to survive in any environment!

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
denizsi said:

Holy fucking shit! This is like "my girlfriend said she wants me to take her out to dancing. I didn't. She got mad at me and stuff. I don't get what's wrong with her". Unbelievable.

So it's supposed to be obvious then? I'm simply supposed to "assume" that all raider captains are afraid of their dead fathers coming back? The only thing that's obvious right now is that you're an asshole who doesn't think things through and probably a fucking moron to boot.

Also, fuck you.

I wonder how some people simply survive on a day-to-day basis.

They stay away from you.

VD, you might want to revise some of the rules in character creation in AOD; people of extreme low intelligence apparently have the capability to survive in any environment!

And you are certainly in a position to know that.

He freaked out, thinking I'm his dead coming back from the grave.

You can also try proper spelling next time too. It will make you look like less of a moron.

Zomg

Arbiter
That's actually a great use of the luck stat in design. Having bizarre coincidences in your favor (or against for low luck) is a much better and more interesting way to play with luck than criticial hits and fat lewt. It's a characterizing consequence of your PC design.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Dicksmoker said:
So it's supposed to be obvious then? I'm simply supposed to "assume" that all raider captains are afraid of their dead fathers coming back? The only thing that's obvious right now is that you're an asshole who doesn't think things through and probably a fucking moron to boot.
You don't know that when you get mistaken for Garl's dead father, but you learn soon enough. Turns out Garl killed his own father who was a leader of the gang before. You can't know that but when the situation presents itself, it doesn't take much to understand it and take advantage of it.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Vault Dweller said:
Dicksmoker said:
You don't know that when you get mistaken for Garl's dead father, but you learn soon enough. Turns out Garl killed his own father who was a leader of the gang before. You can't know that but when the situation presents itself, it doesn't take much to understand it and take advantage of it.

Ok. I was just assuming that you might find out by taling to some of the raiders or something. (i.e. they mention that their leader is paranoid and then it's up to you to figure out to trick him.)

ushdugery

Scholar
Fallout is completely linear you always end up at the master and even the endings screens you get and the choices to get them are just linear illusions because the game still ends so there is no choice. Saying bg2 is not an rpg is pushing it way too far in assuming that all non powergaming play isn't proper roleplaying is fairly feeble. If I make a conversational choice to see a different piece of dialogue that is still a roleplaying choice, I'm roleplaying my character and his opinions and even if the outcome is just some different dialogue with a similar end point I still had a different experience and even if I would prefer there to be more effect on the game world this is still roleplaying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom