Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Paradox Grand Strategy Games

LoPan

Learned
But if I am trying to hold a front against tanks with no bomber support and nothing but infantry and some AT surely that front is bound to fall as the lack of hard attack will have me at an extreme deficit in both attack and defence unless I invest seriously in AT which I don't think I could, the IC of Spain being what it is (in peace time a mere 25). Even if the soft attack of tanks may be poor, the German is hardly shy on infantry to back it up, so I end up with no real advantage except perhaps, united with France, I have numbers on my side, but I doubt I can hinge on that. Seems a lost cause, may be better to use the natural barrier of mountains between France and Spain and take the fight to the Italians, and perhaps Portuguese, over Africa and eventually overseas.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lack of Hard Attack isn't as severe as you think, and you have plenty of other means to defend, like Land Forts and the Pyrenees.

Bombers are NOT a defensive unit. You *never* use bombers defensively. Tactical bombing is done on the offense, and if you Ground Attack you'll want the enemy to be retreating so they cannot defend effectively and take more casualties.

Anyway, fighting Germany as Spain, much less in vanilla without mods... Dream on. You *cannot* win, you *cannot* even advance. Germany would assrape you no matter what, they can put in less than 10% of their army and outnumber, outgun and outmaneuver you. Same goes for any fantasies of fighting overseas, your puny navy would get crushed in an instant and the troops you were trying to transport sunk to the bottom of the ocean. If you're going to join the Allies, what you're going to do is park your butt in the Pyrenees, with at least 3 divisions in each Mountain province, more for non-Mountain, and immediately start building Land Forts as fast as you can. The name of the game is to tie the Germans in there, they can't leave you unchecked, and eventually you'll be a staging ground for larger Allies (though the USA will never join the war in HoI3, you need to make it event-based or they'll just stay neutral forever due to everyone influencing them). After you've got your defenses (at least 5 forts in each province), you'll start building Industry so you can eventually create and support a large army somewhere in 1946. Don't be afraid the cheat yourself resources though, HoI3 has a very poor resource allocation across the globe (basically there's no resources for anyone except Britain, Germany, Soviet Union and the USA; there just isn't any left after they mobilize since they're the only major surplus countries in vanilla), and the AI has some bizarro script behind trading decisions.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Seems like Steam has just fucked Paradox right up the ass. Both AHD and CK2 have been delayed 1 week each because of "distribution issues". AHD was even supposed to come out tomorrow, it's been up on gamersgate for months but no sign of it on Steam. Paradox claims that most of their sales are on Steam, so I guess Gaben thought it was time they knew who the boss is. I was planning to play AHD all day tomorrow, now I'm angry!
:mob:
Fucking cunts all of them.

Eh, I'm actually kind of glad. I was going to get next to no time with Vicky 2 with the release dates so close together.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
And now you'll have even less, the gap between the release dates has narrowed from 14 days to 12.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Fuck fuck fuck. There goes my plans for tomorrow evening. Now I'll have to go and be social or some shit.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I was planning to "work from home" tomorrow with AHD, now I'll just go to the office instead :(

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Need a host.

I've only been playing singleplayer (just starting up), so I wouldn't be playing in this game, but I might be able to host, as my connection isn't usually under much load, except for at certain times of day.

1: Is there a dedicated server program I could just leave running, or would it need to be more hands-on? Controlling the server remotely could work, but I don't have constant access to a computer at work or at the gym. I wouldn't want to fuck up already complicated scheduling for you guys.

2: What speed connection is recommended for a non-playing host?

3: What times of day (for simplicity's sake, say it in GMT, and I'll convert that to my timezone) would it need to be up?

4: If something terrible happened, and after a few sessions I was unable to continue hosting (unlikely, but it's good to be prepared for power outages and the like), is there a 'host file' or some clump of files I could email to a new host, so all the information about previous sessions is not lost?

5: If the PCs power is relevant to hosting EU3 games, just tell me what tier of hardware I should be running it on. I've got everything from shitty ancient laptops to a computer that, though a few years old, still runs almost every game I've bought on highest settings at 1920x1200. If older hardware is ok though, I'd prefer to use a different pc, since that one makes a noticeable increase on my electricity bill.

As long as it's not too hands-on (I'm not at home for most of the day, so depending on when it is, I might not be around to pause the game whenever someone needs to take a shit), and my connection isn't too slow to be decent for you guys (the most likely failure of this plan), I wouldn't mind setting one of my less-used pcs up as a server for the game. Anything to help fellow Brodexers in their dreams of conquest.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I don't think there's a dedicated host, but you should catch up to speed and join us when you start hosting. The more the merrier. You could take a less intense regional power, like Naples, so you wouldn't have to get involved in the big bad powerplay between France, England, HRE and Spain or Poland-Lithuania vs whoever the big Russian power is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom