Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Danikas

Arcane
The fact ya'll fuckers aren't seeing anything wrong with a pretty girl being a mechanic is another proof you've been sitting in that pot with that hot soy juice for too damn long. How many female mechanics, repairmen or maintenance workers have you seen IRL?

I'm 35, I've gone through all walks of life and I've seen precisely zero. Not even in our grorious commie past when it was a bit more normal seeing women doing traditionally male jobs. Not even the Party forced them into servicing machines.

And yet Kwan entertainment is full of this idiotic archetype - a bubbly, pretty girl being all passionate about tinkering and repairing shit. Fucking Kaylee, Rey from Shit Wars, now Parvati and loads more. Breaking news - bubbly pretty girls are too busy reading Cosmopolitan, doing their make-up and dating chads to waste their time playing with greasy cogs.

"Baaaah, I haaaaven't seeen any SJW inphluenze in this gaaaame baaaah." Even the Codex is getting soyized.
:salute:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
How many female mechanics, repairmen or maintenance workers have you seen IRL?
Those jobs are specialized drone labor, while technically-minded women usually get better grades and education (not because men are dumber, but because women are privileged in our society), so they go into better-paid and prestigious positions in this kind of discipline. There is also the interesting discrepancy between how "free" a society is and the rates of women in IT and the engineering branch, in societies where women are more oppressed (think Islam) there are more women in these fields. My interpretation is that the pressure of freedom constraints your imagination and you tend to go with flow, so 90+% of engineers are men and 90+% of nurses are women in Norway for example, the most "free" country.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Key word in Science-Fiction is Fiction. That's why she's also an attractive dyke, how many of those have you seen?
rating_lulz.gif

"Baaaah, I haaaaven't seeen any SJW inphluenze in this gaaaame baaaah." Even the Codex is getting soyized.
I see people like you often speak about Codex with this almost reverent tone, saying that it once used to a much harder, non-apologetic place where people really knew what was what, but much of what i've seen of the people so far has been exactly that - soyed apologists. I mean just look at the website's mascot, infintron. I am yet to see him not defend a product on release just for the sake of being an apologist, and he is just the most notable person. In this very thread you'd encounter more than a dozen people, all making huge leaps and bounds in logic and argument just so they can call TOW's critics as "whiny" and self-unconscious fanbois. Honestly, i would say that codex is FULL of veiled-sjws.

Cross

Arcane
My take on the quality of writing: the setting is struggling to differentiate itself from similar IPs. That's why it feels "in the middle" so to speak and never quite seems to find its own character.

Personally I would prefer if TOW went further into the absurd and the wacky, but then it would be closing onto the Borderlands territory. If they made it even more like space-western, it's the Firefly territory. If they add some woo-woo and horror elements, it's Bioshock territorry. If it becomes too epic, it's a Mass Effect territory.

It feels as if the setting is constantly trying to balance between its various inspirations and never quite finds its own feet. It's not that original of an idea, basically. Tim and Leon were probably talking about it for years before the development started, during the era when few sci-fi games were being made, but inbetween the idea and the launch, god know how many similar games came out..
They didn't come up with the setting:

The concept that became The Outer Worlds actually started before Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky were assigned to the project. Obsidian's owners wanted to make a sci-fi game, but Feargus also thought that straight-up Star Trek-style sci-fi doesn't sell as well fantasy and post-apocalyptic, so he decided it would be "post-apocalyptic sci-fi" ("Fallout meets Firefly").

Tim and Leonard then took that initial concept and went in their own direction.
Just like with every other original IP Obsidian has made, Feargus is playing it as safe as possible.

Trashos

Arcane
Those jobs are specialized drone labor, while technically-minded women usually get better grades and education (not because men are dumber, but because women are privileged in our society), so they go into better-paid and prestigious positions in this kind of discipline. There is also the interesting discrepancy between how "free" a society is and the rates of women in IT and the engineering branch, in societies where women are more oppressed (think Islam) there are more women in these fields. My interpretation is that the pressure of freedom constraints your imagination and you tend to go with flow, so 90+% of engineers are men and 90+% of nurses are women in Norway for example, the most "free" country.

Or, rather, women have a completely different nervous system to men, and the female nervous system exists to nurture other living (empathetic) forms of being. Not machines.

Codex Year of the Donut
And yet Kwan entertainment is full of this idiotic archetype - a bubbly, pretty girl being all passionate about tinkering and repairing shit. Fucking Kaylee, Rey from Shit Wars, now Parvati and loads more. Breaking news - bubbly pretty girls are too busy reading Cosmopolitan, doing their make-up and dating chads to waste their time playing with greasy cogs.
Imagine being angry because there are pretty women.
Are you gay?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Just like with every other original IP Obsidian has made, Feargus is playing it as safe as possible.
You have a source for that? Tried Googling the quote and the only relevant result was your post.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Imagine being angry because there are pretty women.
Are you gay?
Are you trying your beta male feminist routine on me? On the Codex? Bro, there aren't any women here. Everyone is a dude and right-wing to boot. Who are you trying to impress?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Or, rather, women have a completely different nervous system to men, and the female nervous system exists to nurture other living (empathetic) forms of being. Not machines.
This line of thought tries to explain men and women's behavior like race realism tries to explain race, i.e. it's mostly ideological, especially in the case of race realism. It doesn't explain, however, why there are women in these fields in countries that are not Western (or rather not free) and why women are interested in those positions there, and women who are in these fields in Western countries but hold a higher position than most men (IBM's senior manager is a woman who holds a PhD [in quantum computing?]). It's oversimplification and psychology 101 at best.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The fact ya'll fuckers aren't seeing anything wrong with a pretty girl being a mechanic is another proof you've been sitting in that pot with that hot soy juice for too damn long. How many female mechanics, repairmen or maintenance workers have you seen IRL?

I'm 35, I've gone through all walks of life and I've seen precisely zero. Not even in our grorious commie past when it was a bit more normal seeing women doing traditionally male jobs. Not even the Party forced them into servicing machines.

In your wise 35 years, how many spaceship female engineers have you seen in outer space on distant planets with distant colonies, though?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

You have a source for that? Tried Googling the quote and the only relevant result was your post.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...go-to-new-thread.119594/page-177#post-6030796
Ah, it's from a video. https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...crosofts-purchase-and-the-outer-worlds-future

Those are usually too TL;DW for me to bother watching.

Trashos

Arcane
This line of thought tries to explain men and women's behavior like race realism tries to explain race, i.e. it's mostly ideological, especially in the case of race realism. It doesn't explain, however, why there are women in these fields in countries that are not Western and why women are interested in those positions there. It's oversimplification and psychology 101 at best.

There are exceptions. There are always exceptions.

We didn't suddenly appear in an air conditioned room holding a cell phone. Think of all the shit humanity has been through. How else would you expect women to have evolved, given the way our species succeeded? Women took care of the kids while the men took care of them. That's more or less our recent evolution history.

And while we don't exactly know how human brains work yet, we can tell if a brain is male or female by looking at it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There are exceptions. There are always exceptions.

We didn't suddenly appear in an air conditioned room holding a cell phone. Think of all the shit humanity has been through. How else would you expect women to have evolved, given the way our species succeeded? Women took care of the kids while the men took care of them. That's more or less our recent evolution history.

And while we don't exactly know how human brains work yet, we can tell if a brain is male or female by looking at it.
Mmmm, no, the research doesn't say what you think it says. It's literally like saying "you can visually differentiate between a white person's and a black person's skull and that's why blacks are dumber". Yes, there are biological differences of course, but they neither explain everything, nor are a miracle "know-it-all".

Last edited:

GewuerzKahn

Savant
I saw female lumberjacks or janitors in RL. Who cares.
TOW is gay ass, but why do you even expect a realistic representation of sexual division of labour (I hope I am using the right words) in an obvious cartoon scifi setting. You sound like a weird dork.

Frahnk

Novice
So, since I'm likely going to treat this like Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect: Andromeda and probably not going to bother touching it even after it's on Steam, how close was I with my Analysis of the first two Gameplay Trailers?
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-go-to-new-thread.119594/page-77#post-5918803
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...go-to-new-thread.119594/page-204#post-6092458

VTMB2 Next!
Salute worthy. Than again this was a handy clue:

xnVHhAx.png

Kindda bummed rn tbh. Deadfire the Obsidia Edition is sitting in my library, was kindda looking fwd to it. Cold shower.
This is a pretty good microcosm of the problem. The last few Obsidian games have felt like they were written by a bunch of people who had no life experience outside of the East/West coast upper-middle class. Every character has either felt like a stereotype, "based on a friend of mine from university :)", or both.

Against my better judgement, I was looking at Sawyer's Twitter feed, and I saw this come up
https://mobile.twitter.com/keightdee/status/1187879134115926016

Who the fuck looks at the world like this? Looks at people as a collection of labels through which the entirety of their soul can be expressed, like humans are built the way you fill out Mad Libs? These writers have been wronged. All potential for talent stabbed in the cradle by being convinced, by a twisted new system of manners and by clickbait, that their pithy sexualities are at all interesting. Very few people care that you don't like fucking people dude, it's certainly not interesting enough to be the basis for an entire quest line.

Fuck, these people need to get out more. Go on a road trip, and actually talk, no, actually fucking listen to people, who have never stepped foot in a university campus.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Cohh's game bugged the fuck out ... he gets attacked on sight by corporate troops ... he plays on Supernova, he cannot load an older save ... I love this shit ... it's poetic.

No, I'm retarded. The game is just a buggy mess.

Rafidur

Learned
Can we not have a retarded discussion on the biological differences between men an women (or races) and focus on what really matters? (Bashing Obsidian)
Grape mechanics?! Pah! Obsidian can't represent these shitty fruits correctly. And they all have short stems!

VOu929w.png

Shadenuat

Arcane
Cohh's game bugged the fuck out ... he gets attacked on sight by corporate troops ... he plays on Supernova, he cannot load an older save ... I love this shit ... it's poetic.
His disappointment when he realised Byzantium is not going to new planet was quite on point

Would Obsi do the Owlcat and fix his save?

By the way, I am going to spoil another bug: in the endgame if you crash near one of the final evil guys, try another entrance.
going through alternative sneaky mode entrance crashes the game instantly on opening door and walking in

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom