Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Ellie is pretty simple: she wants to spite her parents by showing the poor result of their upbringing. There's nothing else to it. At the end of the quest, you either convince her that she needs people she can trust or just look after herself. Nothing else to analyze here. It's basically free EXP and bits. :lol:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As poor as Parvati's quest is writing wise, I still think Ellie holds the worst companion quest in the entire game because as utterly mundane as Parvati's was, there was at least a motivation of sorts. I seriously don't even see what the fucking purpose of Ellie
going to her parents and telling them she's still alive while asking you to act tough (Did she even give a reason as to why she wanted you to do this?) and then immediately getting pissed when they collected her life insurance policy for thinking she's dead while she never kept contact in any form. Then right after you're given the objective to fucking steal from them all the while the game practically makes you loosely tie in a "See, you need friendships in space" to it to make it seem like there was an actual purpose when she begrudgingly agrees.

You’ve clearly never been the disreputable friend of a spoiled rich girl with distant but judgmental parents. This is very much a thing among the American upper middle class (true aristocrats don’t care about this stuff). In my experience, these are people who never got enough affection as kids so they actively try to piss off their parents. When mom and dad get angry, it’s proof that they care. That’s what she’s going for when she brings you to meet her parents.

The problem with Ellie is not the concept, it’s the two dimensional execution. Everyone I know who’s like Ellie is also profoundly broken and their whole trangressive schtick is meant to mask just how profoundly fucked up they are. She should at least have an eating disorder or a covert drug addiction. Feels as though the writer knows someone like Ellie (or saw a character like this on TV), but never really figured her out.

LudensCogitet

Learned
)I only bothered with the "priest" and the rbot.
This. The others are an unbearable mess.

Priest was interesting and also I enjoyed watching SAM pee over the screaming enemies with that acid gun of his.

I also went with Max and Sam. Sam is by far the best companion though because he just interjects random nonsense into conversations.

I was very disappointed with Max's companion quest. We're searching for a way to get this contraband philosophical text translated but suddenly
nope, time to get high in a hut somewhere and decide it's all about living in the moment and making yourself happy. No worries man!
Of course, after that he continues to shout "nice kill!" If I randomly murder someone and acts like nothing happened in his other dialogue.

RK47

Patron
I also went with Max and Sam.

X03791G.png

Yes.

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
Pajeeti was hijacked lah. From losing her father and not knowing her mother into wow look at that Chinese prime ribs on display. It was ok until she sends me into an abandoned colony filled with killer reptiles to fetch desserts and buy clothes for her date.
I just told Parvati that her crush definitely doesn't like her, because I couldn't be bothered with this dissolute indo-chinese lesbian love story. Now she will be forever alone...

:martini:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As soon as I saw what her personnal quest was about I just ignored her and every other companion. If the characters were written better I wouldn't mind, but they are too damn bland. Not even Bethesda bad, just boring.

How many of them are diverse at the end? I was very suspicious of the obnoxius doctor chick and the younger guy. The danger hair negress seemed like the most one-dimensional of them (hurr durr, I like booze and hunting x100).
I only bothered with the "priest" and the robot.

Whether you like his personality or not, I thought Felix's quest was decent. It wasn't just errands, there was a new location and combat encounters, plus some intrigue and a reasonably well done decision. Max's was actually way more boring, IMO. Haven't done the others yet.

Also I really like Ellie's personality, by far the best in the game. A don't-give-a-fuck pirate who praises when you're pragmatic and rolls her eyes when you're ideological. I dig that.

RK47

Patron
I like Sam the best. He doesn't talk and just "cleans" everything up like a good robot.

SAM's bullshit is that he has the following features to him:
  • Auto-scaled Armor and Weapons - you simply cannot customize nor tinker his gear.
  • He has the highest HP in the game - surpassing you.
  • His weapon damage type is Corrosive by default and that makes him a winner since Corrosive mods are expensive to purchase. Both of his melee & ranged attacks is Corrosive.
  • Skill added is pretty decent too Intimidation / Hacking (Terminal Entry) / Science (increase Shock & Plasma dmg)
  • If you bring Max along - Max actually has the same skill bonus - making the two of them synergize really well.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
As poor as Parvati's quest is writing wise, I still think Ellie holds the worst companion quest in the entire game because as utterly mundane as Parvati's was, there was at least a motivation of sorts. I seriously don't even see what the fucking purpose of Ellie
going to her parents and telling them she's still alive while asking you to act tough (Did she even give a reason as to why she wanted you to do this?) and then immediately getting pissed when they collected her life insurance policy for thinking she's dead while she never kept contact in any form. Then right after you're given the objective to fucking steal from them all the while the game practically makes you loosely tie in a "See, you need friendships in space" to it to make it seem like there was an actual purpose when she begrudgingly agrees.

You’ve clearly never been the disreputable friend of a spoiled rich girl with distant but judgmental parents. This is very much a thing among the American upper middle class (true aristocrats don’t care about this stuff). In my experience, these are people who never got enough affection as kids so they actively try to piss off their parents. When mom and dad get angry, it’s proof that they care. That’s what she’s going for when she brings you to meet her parents.

The problem with Ellie is not the concept, it’s the two dimensional execution. Everyone I know who’s like Ellie is also profoundly broken and their whole trangressive schtick is meant to mask just how profoundly fucked up they are. She should at least have an eating disorder or a covert drug addiction. Feels as though the writer knows someone like Ellie (or saw a character like this on TV), but never really figured her out.
When you put it like that, that probably is exactly the issue and I apologize for my lack of experience with those kind of relationships personally. I'd go the extra mile to say that potentially what "broken" aspect they wanted to focus on for Ellie was her lack of trust in people, problem being that it's never really shown to have any actual consequences for her. By in large she's doing mostly fine when you're first introduced to her if I recall other than needing to get someone she's indebted to out of trouble and the only time I really ever remember that being apparent (unless I'm forgetting a certain piece of dialogue or her general dialect already with how eh the game is) was when I ended up forming an alliance with Stellar Industries and the Iconoclasts on Monarch and she asks me how long do I think their partnership will legitimately last before they start fighting again due to their past.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i just killed her parents then she left and tbh i dont care about ellie at all.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I like SAM both as a concept and execution. There are plenty of robot characters in games and movies, but it's a cool idea to have a robot who isn't an AI but literally a machine. I guess they are aware some players don't like companions who always have something to say, so they've made SAM who stays out of your way, doesn't bother you with stupid bullshit and reliably destroys enemies.

It's also nicely done how his banter despite being nonsensical sometimes ends up being relevant to the situation you're seeing.

Trashos

Arcane

All right, but I am going to ask the same question that I asked about Valerie in the Kingmaker thread (Valerie is the worst Kingmaker companion, afaic). Why is this concept interesting? It isn't. It is not fun, and it is not interesting.

Quillon

Arcane
I don't like like how they do dialogue in Obs games anymore, overwhelming majority of dialogue consists of "fake choices" morphed into "player expression"; no matter what you say/how you say it the end results the same, skill checks doesn't matter at all other than giving xp; if you don't meet a requirement they just give you the info some other way. At least in PoEs we got disposition reactions for these fake/expression choices, tho they were few and far between, ultimately uncompelling.

Clear cut white lines - info, yellow lines - choice CDPR dialogue is 10x better than this flavory bullshitful dialogue.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't like like how they do dialogue in Obs games anymore, overwhelming majority of dialogue consists of "fake choices" morphed into "player expression"; no matter what you say/how you say it the end results the same, skill checks doesn't matter at all other than giving xp; if you don't meet a requirement they just give you the info some other way. At least in PoEs we got disposition reactions for these fake/expression choices, tho they were few and far between, ultimately uncompelling.

I wouldn't agree here. A lot of choices are just dialog changes in pretty much all RPGs, but this one does a decent job of offering actual ones. More than the average RPG, at any rate. Not saying it's some amazing example of choice and consequence, but I don't see it as a relative weakness of the game.

just

Liturgist
so in 3 years outer worlds 2: deadfire is released
it doesnt sell and everyone is wondering how such a thing is possible if 1 had great reviews and was so popular
cant wait for cainyarsky what went wrong tumblr posts

Quillon

Arcane

I wouldn't agree here. A lot of choices are just dialog changes in pretty much all RPGs, but this one does a decent job of offering actual ones. More than the average RPG, at any rate. Not saying it's some amazing example of choice and consequence, but I don't see it as a relative weakness of the game.

This one makes it seem there are more choices than there actually are, f.i. you can use your perception to spot something or having it be spotted for you in the next line. I don't deny there are "more than most" choices in this game, it doesn't make me enjoy this all roads lead to rome dialogue style or how they use skills in dialogue any better.

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
I don't like like how they do dialogue in Obs games anymore, overwhelming majority of dialogue consists of "fake choices" morphed into "player expression"
The game has text for the sake of having text and fake choices for the sake of having choices. I'm not sure how that helps world building and character development, but oh well.

The assertion that the corporations are just a bunch of anti-populist and greedy meanies that oppress the people stopped being interesting when I left Terra 2 for the first time, yet 20 hours in you are still invariably hearing/reading exactly that.

Let's wait and see whether outer worlds the white march will sell well or not.
Hopefully they'll fix the itemization in the DLCs. That is the single most annoying thing about the game IMO.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Liked the Negress and Max duo most to be honest, it was nice to hang out with an adult for a change (his quest however was anti-climatic) and negress proved to be quite sensible person not buying this anarchy stick but still protective of her tribe, also we both loved the booze. Shame the soy infused artists did not made her with nice black booble butt.

:martini:

Its this Felix I could not stomach to have in party the obnoxious brat, Ellie was not as bad (the down to earth pirate girl) and Pajeeta was cute treated her like my Char daughter.

:love:

Best Companion though? SAM no doubt, cleaned every degenerate my Commissar met, kept his trap shut most time too.
:shitandpiss:

Also his double damage of Acid and synergy with Max. :incline:

you all praising sam, how could you preserve your sanity after hearing robots speak in this game? one word every hour, by the time they utter a single sentence i've fallen asleep twice.

Starwars

Arcane
I have no idea how anyone can like the Vicar. He's completely insufferable. I can't figure out if the writer actually wanted to try and make his character deep somehow and just failed miserably or if they really wanted to create a pretentious twat who is old but acts like a teenage hipster.

Parvati is the only likeable one, we just have to completely cut her questline.

eXalted

Arcane
I guess they are aware some players don't like companions who always have something to say, so they've made SAM who stays out of your way, doesn't bother you with stupid bullshit and reliably destroys enemies.
I'm tired of this "every companion should have a companion quest" nonsense that every RPG feels obliged to have. Maybe that's why I liked SAM (apart from that acid damage of course).

Parvati is the only likeable one...
Oh, captain... look at my cheesy cute voice. Ah, captain, look how transparent I'm in trying to look cute and likable... ah.

:0-13:

Also, I completely missed Felix as a companion. Before the final mission, I looked up on the internet to check what's the last companion slot for, saw a screenshot of him... and I just couldn't be bothered.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
I guess they are aware some players don't like companions who always have something to say, so they've made SAM who stays out of your way, doesn't bother you with stupid bullshit and reliably destroys enemies.
I'm tired of this "every companion should have a companion quest" nonsense that every RPG feels obliged to have. Maybe that's why I liked SAM (apart from that acid damage of course).
Companion quests are not necessary, but they are an important aspect of character building. If you choose not to include them, you should focus instead on more companion interactivity (between themselves and/or the PC, as well as more interactivity towards the game world).

Otherwise, rather than a shitty Deadfire sidekick, you might as well return to a hireling model and leave it at that. Half measures are never a good thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom