Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Shadenuat

Arcane
Although I suspect all the lootwhoring is going to become intensely irritating during subsequent runs.
That's why you don't do any and uninstall.exe after first run.

system reqs are actually pretty good so I'm going in.
They seem to be lowered on purpose (aka it is all a lie). Game actually does need good GPU and also an SSD to avoid loading screens. Otherwise only thing to save you from screen tearing and stuff would be setting an option to lock game at 30 FPS to On.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I thought this would't work on my system, but the system reqs are actually pretty good so I'm going in.

Be aware that while it has low requirements, the framerate can be pretty unstable. With a 2070 and Ryzen 3600 I get drops to the 50s in cities, even on low settings, but on "Ultra" I get 80-100fps outside.

Black

Arcane
Also, geez nobody is talking about how barebones TOW is as an RPG.
Because it isn't one.

Yeah but what is a

This is

D82E29ECB3EA1F7A7E3049C323AA41F67B5C5C08

It's not an RPG if you can rest in dungeons
Not if you rest only to wake up and find yourself getting spitroasted by tentacle monsters.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw before anyone starts taking CohhCarnage too seriously and giving him too much credit for liking inclined RPGs like Elex, Pathfinder or Greedfall:

"MEA is one of my favourite Mass Effects. It combines the great world of the original trilogy with pioneering spirit of the old Star Trek. I loved the characters, I loved the story. The only thing preventing MEA to be my GOTY were the animations."

So yeah, this guy is basically a high-functioning idiot.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

You say "Free People" where others would say "Terrorists" Pepe.
rating_lulz.gif

So, how woke is this game? I didn't remove it from inventory, not sure if it is worth the install.
moderately, not-so-subtle

they won't hit on you bioware style, but most quest givers/leaders are women (also old women, rough women with scars, women of different race and color), men are grunts/incompetent/shallowly written/bandits/crazies, whoever is not is probably an adorable scientist or is a secondary npc.

I haven't been taking count on men/women ratios or how many different coloured rainbow people there are, so I cant help there. As they did with Fallout it's a game that doesn't take itself seriously at all - this is a good thing.

Just know you'll be playing something they made as an rpg first, there's enough reactivity and c&c to keep you playing for sure. It's just the setting that falls very flat for something set in space, it's not fleshed out. I guess this is what they mean they say AA game.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Byzantium does have street names on signs though. There's your Arcanum.

Not that you need them of course, due to ui and level design.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Deleted Member 22431

No pressure is necessary. Writing in general is becoming a pink-collar profession in the West, and there are aspects of video game writing that probably make it particularly suitable to women (lots of "secretarial" fill-in-the-blank tasks as opposed to stream of consciousness writing, lots of collaboration and teamwork, etc).
What?

Helen Hindpere wrote a lot of Disco Elysium and her work is top.

64466380_2397460087149122_1085888734542430208_n.jpg

:love:

Vatnik Wumao

Deleted Member 22431

My sense is that the developers who perform tasks associated with "area design" in the past would have also done the writing for those areas. Professional game development have evolved towards separating and specializing those roles.
Isn't that inherently connected with said areas becoming 3d, thus requiring professional graphic artists with actual modelling skills and understanding, instead of writers just dropping general ideas about an isometric area. Verticality and traversability are no longer as banal as they used to be.
I disagreed with you, but I changed my mind. The other problem with 3D nowadays, especially with the first-person view of most action cRPGs is that they are expected to emulate movies a lot. This pushes developers to either to attempt to imitate cinema to some extent or, what is worse, make high art cinema using videogaems. The result is pretentious trash and pointless writing that nobody ever asked.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Also, geez nobody is talking about how barebones TOW is as an RPG. Builds are non-existent, there is no pickpocket, no traps/mines, not even grenades! Not that much weapon variety, no gambling, no minigames, no haggling, no real sense of economy either in the world or in the numbers, it's such a lazy, lazy game. Why all the praise? Even forgetting about the story, how can you say the outer worlds has 60 dollars worth of gameplay in it?

The biggest thorn in my play is the itemization. I truly wish equipment had skill point requirements. I love when RPGs do that. I hate how here you can equip any weapon, or don any armor without any penalty. Although I totally understand that to reach a mass market audience, this would alienate the casuals.

Yeah itemization is the biggest source of annoyance for me. You could excuse Diablo style lout in a bigger game, even Witcher 3 with their massive production values ended up having shitty loot. But since this is a much smaller, more focused game, there's no need to have the whole world peppered with generic items.

Ruleset is growing on me as I keep playing though, due to all the mini-perks that open up as you advance each skill through tiers. It seems highly open to being exploitable and creating some broken funky shit, which is much prefered over le balance man raping all the fun out of games.

:littlemissfun: vs. :gangster:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom