Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The original Tomb Raider, its remake, and the loss of subtlety

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I replayed the original Tomb Raider recently. It's an excellent game, still holds up perfectly fine once you get used to the tank controls. Dense atmosphere, great exploration, good puzzles that make use of Lara's standard moveset - everything can be solved simply by observing your surroundings and mastering the platforming gameplay. The story is simple and delivered in short, snappy cutscenes paced like a 90s action movie. Lara is a badass action heroine whose conversations with opponents are defined by witty banter. Exposition is kept to a minimum, there are no lore dumps, 99% of the storytelling is environmental.

The game's atmosphere is sublime. No other game - including TR's sequels which add more human opponents and have way more conversations in their cutscenes - manages to create such a feeling of isolation. You explore ancient tombs whose crumbling floors were not tread upon for centuries, all alone. The soundtrack is used sparingly, most of what you hear is merely the wind howling through these forlorn halls. There are no cutscenes within the levels themselves, no texts to read, no audiologs to find. There is only the tomb and its environment. You encounter lavish palace chambers, broken statues, titanic aqueducts and sphinxes, strange trap rooms, and wonder for what purpose they were built. But the game never pushes an answer on you. The level design stands on its own. You explore, solve puzzles, perform acrobatics, and finally retrieve the Atlantean artifacts at the end.

It's an incredibly subtle game that thrives on atmosphere and slow, deliberate moments of careful platforming and puzzle solving.

And then, when the franchise was taken away from the original developers and given to Crystal Dynamics, a remake was made: Tomb Raider Anniversary.
It has the same levels, the same story, the same moments... but only on the surface.

All the subtlety and atmosphere of the original was lost. Tomb Raider Anniversary is the perfect example of The Decline in action. A direct comparison between an old, beloved classic and its reimagining a decade later.

Remember the T-Rex encounter in Tomb Raider?
You enter a strange valley where you're attacked by little raptors. Then, suddenly, a t-rex appears in the distance and attacks you. You pull out your guns, jump backwards, and try to kill it before it gets you in its jaws.
An effective moment because of how sudden and unannounced it is:

In the remake, they turned it into a lengthy cutscene that robs it of all surprise. Even worse, it has QTEs, and after that it turns into a gimmicky boss fight rather than just a beefy enemy you have to shoot until it dies (ignore the bikini Lara, this is the best video I could find on YT).

Even the buildup to that moment has been made worse. In the original, you drop down into the lost valley and encounter one raptor, the first dinosaur encounter in the game. Then you encounter a second one as you go further in.
And then, immediately as you walk past the collapsed bridge, t-rex appears from behind the hills and charges at you.
Short buildup followed by a sudden surprise. Simple and effective.
The remake has you fight an entire horde of raptors, then control is taken away from you as the game enters a cutscene (this NEVER happened in classic Tomb Raider in the middle of a level) which introduces the t-rex in an overly bombastic way. He's not alone, he's chasing away raptors and throwing them around with his mighty jaws! And then Lara starts to run away and you have to press buttons in a QTE to evade the t-rex's jaws!!!

Utterly fucking terrible. In the original, Lara running away in panic was not cutscene-induced but a player-driven reaction to the sudden appearance of a giant fucking dinosaur.
The difference between the original's and the remake's t-rex fight is the perfect example of what's wrong with modern game design.
You just can't have subtlety anymore. Where the original just threw you into a situation and made you deal with it on your own terms, the remake forces:
1. a cutscene
2. a QTE
3. a contrived boss fight where you have to make t-rex run his head into pillars or some shit
4. another fucking QTE because they couldn't simply let the fight end normally

Utter fucking shit.
Also note the difference in length of the two videos. The original's encounter was quick and effective. A short moment of adrenaline, and then it's over.
The remake's t-rex fight is three times as long. Needless padding that stretches the fight out well past its welcome.

And then there's the storytelling.
Here's the original cutscene where you encounter Natla in Atlantis and she tells you about her plans. Create strong mutants and unleash them on the world to put evolutionary pressure on humanity again. An evil plan, but it kinda makes sense in some twisted way.
The conversation is quick, witty, and explains everything you need to know and no more.

In the remake, the cutscene is twice as long and instead of witty banter between protagonist and antagonist, we get overly emotional melodrama.

Natla doesn't just tell Lara "lol I wanna unleash mutants to force humanity into being strong again", she now desires power and wants to seduce Lara to join her. Because of course. You can't have a regular villain anymore, it has to be some emotionally manipulative cunt. "You're here because you belong here, Lara! That's who you are."

Lol wat? In the original, she merely was a hired gun sent to retrieve the scion for Natla, but then she got betrayed and decided to fuck up Natla's operation in revenge. Simple action movie plot. Villain wants thing, betrays hero, hero prevents villain from getting thing. No need for big emotional moments between the hero and villain who secretly have a thing for each other or something. But no, you can't have a simple action-driven plot anymore, everything has to be EMOTIONAL and DRAMATIC.

The direct comparison between the original Tomb Raider and the Anniversary remake is the perfect example of decline in action.

Ash

Arcane
The 90s was the perfect storm for creativity, experimentation, freshness, as well as gameplay that demands a modicum of attention and intelligence. All because of technical limitations. God bless technical limitations...for the most part; I still am not a fan of the auto-aim combat, but it is serviceable/not without value of course. It may not be as good as it should be, but it serves to provide reward for your secret hunting. Provide fear of the darkness and beyond. Add extra platforming challenge when you get surprised by a mob while there's not much room on a cliff edge. And so on.

As a kid, I explored as much of the 90s as I could, completely in love. Consoles, PC, handheld, browser-based games (ok this one not so much). Little did I know everything would change. Steep decline. In my naïve little mind things could only get better.

:negative:

In some rare cases, sure an occasional modern gem comes along with such polish and lessons learnt from their example that it overtakes a classic or two, but nothing will ever overtake the 90s as a golden age of game design and game-playing on the whole. There was so many awesome games, so much creativity, real gameplay and Tomb Raider was just one series of many. And yes, TR: Anniversary is a fine example of decline, as is Legend and all the rest thereafter.

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
The 90s was the perfect storm for creativity, experimentation, freshness, as well as gameplay that demands a modicum of attention and intelligence. All because of technical limitations.
No. There were also given [sanity and cognitive] assumptions about the capability of the audience that just don't hold true of today's populace.

AndyS

Augur
Are there any game remakes that genuinely improve on the originals? I can't think of any off the top of my head...

spekkio

Arcane
All because of technical limitations.
IMO the main reason of the golden era (except of what Glop_dweller wrote) was the fact that the devs came from different backgrounds, but mostly academic / nerd mix. They grew up reading books, watching old and new movies, reading comics, playing tabletop games, etc. These people knew things like The Odyssey, Moby Dick, Citizen Kane, X-men, etc. "firsthand" - they experienced those in their proper, original medium.

Unfortunately newshit devs (and millenials / zoomers in general) have been fed only with "second-hand" cultural artifacts. They know cultural "tropes" only as memes, concepts used in video games and Disney adaptations. Hence the constant recycling and lack of originality. These people can only "remake" things (for example games), they can't "make" new ones.

So, original TR devs (Core Design) wanted to make "Indiana Jones game, but with a chick, recreating Montezuma's Revenge feel, but in 3D, with some levels in Egypt, etc." - mixing inspirations from different media. On the other hand, later devs (Crystal Dynamics) just wanted to make "Prince of Persia - Sands of Time, only with Lara". They were inspired only by other computer games.

Last edited:
consoles happened. well, not just "consoles", but the market grew to retarded territory and in order to convince them to buy games had to be tailored for their cognitive abilities.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's like how I feel I'm over games and then I go back and play something like King's Field.

The magic was so strong then that the faintest echoes that remain have enslaved most of the population.

I was thinking to myself, wow this seems so basic, I could throw something together like this in a week. But much like any attempt to ape a masterpiece it would probably be shit and even if by some stroke of god it wasn't, it would pass completely unappreciated in the times we live in.

Lemming42

Arcane
The different depictions of Lara Croft over time are probably a good measurement of changing values in general. 1996 - 1998 Lara was ultra-cool and unflappable, very stoic and seemingly unbothered by all the casual violence she ends up partaking in. She doesn't talk much, and when she does, it's usually to insult someone or make some laconic remark. Very typical 90s action hero stuff. Then the Lara seen from TR4, TR5 and AoD is perpetually moody and downbeat to the point where it's accidentally comical. She actually gets emo eyeliner in AoD. Reflects that whole early 2000s cynicism and melodramatic performative misery very well.

Then we get the Legend era, which - in line with the dogshit belief that videogames ought to more closely resemble movies - awkwardly attempts to give Lara more personality (something nobody asked for; Lara Croft needs "more personality" to the same extent that Doomguy does, which is to say not at all). Sadly, "more personality" seems to mean having a range of mental health issues which cause her to lose her shit at crucial moments and start blubbing. This is ostensibly good because it's "relatable" or something, because apparently that's what we're all like these days, we just cry at shit. And we definitely want our heroes to be relatably underwhelming and pathetic, rather than uber-confident role models to aspire to.

The 2013 reboot makes it even worse by removing any vestiges of charisma the character had left. I've played all three of the games but I can't tell you a single thing about 2013 Lara's personality. She whispers a lot, her voice is shaky, and when confronted with tense situations, she either becomes overwhelmed by despair, wracked with fear, or filled with fury and rage. This, again, is meant to be "relatable" - remember how the devs of TR2013 were going on about how it's an "origin story about a normal person becoming a Tomb Raider" or some bullshit. Yeah, I suppose if I was stranded on an island with identical-looking gunmen coming after me in real life, I might start crying. The thing is I don't want to see a realistic person in a videogame, I want to play as someone better than me, cooler than me, more interesting than me. The original 1996 Lara Croft was all those things. The story of someone like me getting stranded on an island and panicking about it is not interesting. Well, actually, if I was stranded on an island with murderous mercs, it would at least give rise to some unintentional comedy as I vomit all over myself at the sight of a corpse or shit my pants or break my nose from recoil while trying to fire a gun. TR2013 doesn't even give us that!

In their quest to make Lara into a "real character", they somehow ended up with a character who talks consistently for the 10+ hour game and yet ends up having far less real character than TR1 Lara, who only has about twenty lines in the whole game.

I played 1995's Anvil of Dawn recently and I was struck by the protagonist's attitude (I played as Nalu the Amazon but I gather all the heroes have the same dialogue). Every problem she faces is regarded as a challenge to overcome, she constantly reaffirms that she knows what she's doing and will not fail, she often says sardonic things that are genuinely funny, and she's written and acted with a very clear tone of voice. The result is that, playing the game, you feel like you're really inhabiting the role of someone inspiring and impressive who can deal with anything. I played the new Plague Tale game shortly afterwards and was struck for exactly the opposite reasons - the player character and all other characters just constantly sound on the verge of tears, they keep fretting about how there's no hope and they can't win, they become horribly depressed, and every new challenge they're faced with seems to weaken their resolve ever further. It's subjective I suppose but I just cannot fucking stand this type of writing, and it's everywhere now. It's tedious and annoying. Anniversary was bad enough, but if TR1 was made today, Lara would never have made it into the fucking Peruvian caves because she would have had a major mental health episode when the guide got killed by wolves. If they made Half-Life today, there'd be cutscenes every three seconds that show Gordon curling up into a ball in the corner and weeping about how it's too hard and he'll never escape and he's scared. If they made Deus Ex today, Paul would tell JC to "process what you're feeling" and "not be afraid to talk about your emotions" after being betrayed by UNATCO or whatever, and then there'd be a 10-minute cutscene where JC whinges about how it's not fair and that the conspiracy is too strong to combat and he can't do anything about it (actually, Adam Jensen already has a moment like this in DXMD, lol).

We're living through a very boring and downcast period right now, culturally. You'll know things are getting back on the right track if Lara ever starts to resemble her original self again. I think people would actually respond very well to the return of cocky, self-assured and effortlessly cool heroes; it's just that the people making and commissioning triple-A games (and movies and TV and so on) aren't interested.

deuxhero

Arcane
Are there any game remakes that genuinely improve on the originals? I can't think of any off the top of my head...
Excluding things that are just really enhanced ports, yes. The thing is almost all of them fall into "First game or two in a series is kinda lacking after all the ideas were immediately refined in the sequel(s), so here's a remake that backports all improvements from the sequels"
FireRed/LeafGreen takes the horribly bugged original Pokemon games and puts it in a much, much more stable engine. HeartGold/SoulSilver's original wasn't nearly as unstable originally, but these remakes added loads of new content and greatly tuned up the game's under polished second region.
Fire Emblem 11 is an improvement on the original FE, which was not well fleshed out in the slightest, but doesn't do nearly enough to update the extremely dated original.
Mega Man Powered Up does a lot to expand on the primitive and barebones original game with a lot of odd design
Neptunia remakes also fall into this IIRC.
Ys 1+2 and its many, many variants.
Dragon Quest 1+2 fall into this as well.
Dragon Quest III SFC is on the edge of being an enhanced port over the FC original, but enough events (primarily near the end) and a few mechanics are changed to qualify it as a remake. While the original content is greatly enhanced, the new content is kinda eh: Thief is an OP class (durable, decent offense with the ability to hit all enemies for free, MP growth for any inherited spells, bunch of utility spells that help a lot), and the bonus dungeon sucks (it's literally just reused areas with new random encounters and a rule breaking boss at the end), but this is all optional extras and all the old content is greatly enhanced.
Metal Max 2 Reloaded is just Metal Max 2 with an improved version of MM3's mechanics. Returns is between this and an enhanced port for the original game. (incidentally, Metal Max 2 Kai for the GBA is perhaps one of the worst remakes of all time: The first release forgot to turn optimization options on when compiling so it runs like shit, and all versions feature horribly broken mechanics)

There's also a few where the remake is just a totally different game with the original's plot. Ys: The Oath in Felghana may as well be a completely new game that uses Ys III's story and essentially nothing else from the original (which was randomly a side scroller). Remake for Dragon Quest Monsters and it sequel also fall into this, and would be a case of the first type even if they weren't. Trials of Mana is also a good example of this, since it has almost nothing in common gameplay wise with the original SD3 (often for the better), but is a good game in its own right.

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Disciples 2, IMO. Arguably Myth 2.

*These were sequels—not remakes, but gameplay-wise they could just as well have been remakes.
This could even be said of Fallout 2.

Pound Meat

Prophet
The direct comparison between the original Tomb Raider and the Anniversary remake is the perfect example of decline in action.
Even worse is the in-game commentary from the smug-ass lead developer who proudly claims Anniversary's changes were necessary improvements on the archaic original game. Nigga says this while Lara's creator Toby Gard is sitting right next to him.

My big problem is they hacked apart the original levels and stitched some of them together (like the Coliseum level which was really long and complicated in the original but takes about ten minutes to beat in the remake). It's a game made for stupid people.

Freedos

Novice
I liked Tomb Raider Anniversary...but I agree. The T-Rex scene was dissapointing in the remake and things like QTE were unnecesary.

There's too much obssesion about every game being "cinematic" or giving "melodrama". And Tomb Raider never needed it.

The 2013 game was a even worse offender . Speciallly in its awful first hour. So much wrong about storytelling, player ""inmersion"" and its main character.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I always liked the QTEs, ever since Farenheit. I like the creative fail animations, the editing... The new Tomb Raiders are also more skill expressive than they are being given credit for, especially Underworld. They are good games with fine balance of cinematic flair and actual gameplay. Unlike 2013 onward, which is pure crap.

So I disagree with the op. His optimistic view of the flawless execution of the designers intensions is adorable, but flawed, just like the games themself. And I do like and appreciate them. I do consider them to be superior. I prefer the tank controls. Still, the new games are fun in their own way.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
QTEs should be eradicated from video games. There is absolutely nothing interesting about QTEs. Completely idiotic.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
It doesn't exactly count because it is not a straight remake, but Hitman: Contracts; all the missions it remakes from the original game are improved, and it gets rid of the unsalvageable jungle missions. Same for RE1 Remake, where it does not improve on the original game, but is a reinterpretation of the original game that is great in it's own right.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
... such a feeling of isolation. You explore ancient tombs whose crumbling floors were not tread upon for centuries, all alone. The soundtrack is used sparingly...

The question and the answer. Less is more.

MORE MINIGAMES!!!!

Unwanted

†††

Patron
... such a feeling of isolation. You explore ancient tombs whose crumbling floors were not tread upon for centuries, all alone. The soundtrack is used sparingly...

The question and the answer. Less is more.

MORE MINIGAMES!!!!
You know what the original Tomb Raider needs to be perfect?

Crafting :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom