Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Official Gothic 4: Arcania thread

ChristofferC

Magister
Jaesun said:
Someone needs to take one for the team and do a damn LP. I certainly am not buying this shit game, would like to see a LP though.
*an* LP, you ungrammatical fuck.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Dicksmoker said:
Turisas said:
Even if it sucks horribly it'll just make TW2 and New Vegas look better in comparison and so I'll just enjoy them more. Win-win.
:?

They're both looking like GOTY material at the moment, and that's without even trying either of them. The plan is working!

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Posting what I posted in the News thread:

I'm really enjoying this game so far. Nice to see old characters from Gothics without the bugfest that was Gothic 3. No crashes after a day of playing, they've really learned their lesson!

Conversation is a bit silly in places, but the quests themselves are pretty decent. There's a couple of branching quests here and there, dunno if there's consequences for doing one path or the other though (other then clearing a different section of the map for the quest items required). The level up system is a bit simplified since you don't need to find trainers anymore (or pay em). But it's not bad if you choose to forget about how cool the original system was.

The characters from earlier Gothics are back, but they're aged and its fun to find out what happened to them. For example Diego has turned completely gray and went back to being a smuggler.

The difficulty level on Normal is too easy, but then again I found out that I don't really play Gothic games for the difficulty as I don't seem to care and just embrace the easy fights as it means I can explore the world faster.

The areas I've done so far seem to be blocked from the next by story quests ala Gothic 1/ and to lesser extent Gothic 2. So no total freedom like Gothic 3 had. Maybe the areas will open up more later though.

Anyway, I would give this 8.5/10 so far. Definitely a step up from Gothic 3.

made

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Even in death I still surf :lol:

That review coming soon? German press tells me it's "an adventure of epic proportions that takes 2 nights to finish."

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sup, bros.

This game in a nutshell:

n50jf9.jpg

Also, it shows that they have no Kai Rosenkranz to do the music. A lot.

made

Arcane
I played the demo. It was shit.

Is this one of those rare cases where "the full game is totally not like the demo and much more fun, really!!1"?

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
made said:

Is this one of those rare cases where "the full game is totally not like the demo and much more fun, really!!1"?

No clue. I didn't play the demo. What was bad about it?

jaylittle

Scholar
Sergiu64 said:
made said:
GTFO shill, your opinion holds no weight here.

Yeah, ok. Let's just all bash a game without playing it. Sometimes the cynicism of posters here gets in the way of actually having fun.
I've played it and it's shit. Still if you aren't having performance problems, could you post your system specs? Also what version of your video drivers are you using?

made

Arcane
Sergiu64 said:
made said:

No clue. I didn't play the demo. What was bad about it?

Everything

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
jaylittle said:
Sergiu64 said:
made said:
GTFO shill, your opinion holds no weight here.

Yeah, ok. Let's just all bash a game without playing it. Sometimes the cynicism of posters here gets in the way of actually having fun.
I've played it and it's shit. Still if you aren't having performance problems, could you post your system specs? Also what version of your video drivers are you using?

At work atm, so don't remember them all offhand. Will try to remember stuff: Core 2 Quad, think it was overclocked slightly to around 3.1 Ghz. Ati Radeon HD 4890. 4 Gigs of ram. Think I last updated the videocard drivers couple of months back, so they're not the newest.

No performance problems at 1920x1200 and mostly high setting, though the card's fan does spin rather loudly.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Game is surprisingly decent actually, happy to have been wrong about this one.

maybe it's because i've finally given up about being so butthurt over G3.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Voice acting and dialogue is so horrific that even Two Turds and Planet Alcatraz look great in comparison. Game itself isn't that bad so far were it not for the constant stuttering, whether settings are on high or low.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
made said:

Nope. Forget it. The full version is exactly like the demo. Exactly. No improvements whatsoever. No 'locked for the sake of demo, lolololo'.

This is bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad.

Mortmal

Arcane
commie said:
Voice acting and dialogue is so horrific that even Two Turds and Planet Alcatraz look great in comparison. Game itself isn't that bad so far were it not for the CONSTANT STUTTERING, whether settings are on high or low.

*cough* bad crack *cough* 1.00 not 1.1

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Morgoth said:
Lol you guys are buying this shit and then complaining about this.

How typical.
Buying gives you even more cause to complain, if anything. You dumb fucker.

Whisperer

Novice
codex speaks true, game is an abomination. That a Romanian who seems to have played the first Gothics is the only "defender" can only be explained by the possibility of him having worked on the dev team or being a master troll.

I could argue my claims, but this is the rare game that doesn't deserve many words. Won't even bother with the torrent for this crap, I'm not a masochist.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mortmal said:
commie said:
Voice acting and dialogue is so horrific that even Two Turds and Planet Alcatraz look great in comparison. Game itself isn't that bad so far were it not for the CONSTANT STUTTERING, whether settings are on high or low.

*cough* bad crack *cough* 1.00 not 1.1

Ah yeah, when I installed and activated the game it told that it would like to download and run a patch and that patch description was saying something about a fix for performance issue on certain machines. So yeah, maybe that why it was working without stuttering on my machine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom