Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
New Vegas and Dark Souls= the only truly great 'AAA' games from the last 8 or so years.

New Vegas was a great incline. And whilst FO3 may be disgraceful in some ways, I am a big fan of first person roleplaying immersive sims, so I appreciate aspects of it. There is a huge difference in core depth from isometric to first person gameplay. Deeper and more immersive interactivity with the world for starters, and you can jump! (well, some iso games you can jump too, shame many PC Iso RPGs never embraced the possibilities).

It's a shame FO3 got a lot wrong, but it did get a lot right too...

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I think New Vegas was essentially the real Fallout 3, albeit produced in a shitty engine with poor basic mechanics, and saddled with an unnecessary open world. In terms of things we usually praise the real Fallout games for (C&C, reactivity, quest design, atmosphere, writing, etc.), it was very good. I personally couldn't finish it because all these good things actively clashed with all the Bethesda-imposed shit, but I can see how people would like it a lot.

Fallout 3 was perfectly banalshitboring. An incline over Oblivion, perhaps, although I can scarcely imagine declining from Oblivion.

Like that's the thing you should point out from his post.

I spend way too much time in the desudesu section recently, and that's the result. :(

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
In terms of things we usually praise the real Fallout games for (C&C, reactivity, quest design, atmosphere, writing, etc.), it was very good.

Agreed. The things that actually ruined the experience for me was the gameplay. Unlike Fallout 3, where everything was just equally shit.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I love NV's gameplay. Very much so. Completely enamoured. Yes it has it's flaws in it's systems. Yes it could be much more hardcore and feature deeper role-playing, but it is a light shining in darkness in modern times. We were lucky to have it.

As for Thiaf, I refused to give it a chance. I pushed hard for player-controlled jumping, among other things, but they are a bunch of shitty designers and of course ignored me. Like fuck am I giving them my money. Shitting all over a Looking Glass classic.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I love NV's gameplay. Very much so. Completely enamoured. Yes it has it's flaws in it's systems. Yes it could be much more hardcore and feature deeper role-playing, but it is a light shining in darkness in modern times. We were lucky to have it.
You should've seen the original concept of Fallout 3, which would blow your mind off.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I love NV (...) but it is a light shining in darkness in modern times.
I read that as "it is like shitting in darkness" and it's not an attempt at unfunny joke or a pun or whatever on my side, I really did. Unfortunately I realized my mistake before hitting the brofist button.

zwanzig_zwoelf

So, I've been thinking about ways to amuse myself, and I decided to try to beat the game while listening to Scrillex.
It'll take a while before I even try that, though - have too much games to beat right now.
If it will work okay, might even record the progress with FRAPS.
It's going to be the most glorious suffering a Thief fan can take.
How lucky I am that I'm not a Thief fan. :troll:

Angthoron

Arcane
So, I've been thinking about ways to amuse myself, and I decided to try to beat the game while listening to Scrillex.
It'll take a while before I even try that, though - have too much games to beat right now.
Hey hey, you need to add some dramatic music for cutscenes.

Gangnam Style will suffice.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Bah, Gangnam Style.
How can you comprare some Korean faggot to THIS kind of drama?

Angthoron

Arcane

Bah, Gangnam Style.

Oh, well, if you're trying to be subtle, then that's just a shade less subtle than My Heart Will Go On. Good pick.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Bah, Gangnam Style.

Oh, well, if you're trying to be subtle, then that's just a shade less subtle than My Heart Will Go On. Good pick.

I might reconsider that, though. Picking up Boku no Pico soundtrack for cutscenes might be a better idea to express emotional engagement and richness of Thief's audio design.

Sonus

Educated
So I guess a demo came out--the opening training level. After the release and after the massive decline. *burp*

Sonus

Educated
As many of you are no doubt aware, a company that may have a better chance to bring back more of what we love about original Thief is OtherSide Entertainment. When they are done with Underworld Ascension, that is. So far, Looking Glass alum Paul Neurath, Steve Pearsall, and Tim Stellmach are known to be onboard.

Azazel

Arbiter
I have been playing Sniper Elite 3 this week, and holy shit it gives me the weirdest / strongest Thief vibes ever. I mean, it's as far as you can get from being a Thief game, but it just feels so Thief. The sneaking, the AI, the sepia sketch cutscenes and the script for the narration is all channelling LGS super hard.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sneaky Bastards Design Analysis Part 2: http://sneakybastards.net/stealthreview/thief-design-analysis-part-2/

thief-design-analysis-part-2.png

Justin Keverne deep-dives Eidos Montreal’s Thief reboot to determine whether its systems and level design stand on their own to craft an immersive stealth experience.

An examination of Thief’s systems design is useful in the abstract; we can examine the design priorities, understand the core fantasy and identify which systems were created to support it. As useful as this is it does not provide the whole picture, games are not experienced in the abstract. Even elegantly designed systems can be implemented in a confusing or inconsistent manner. By exploring the level design of Thief, we can examine how these abstract systems work in concert; how they shape the player experience across space and time.

The power imbalance underlying stealth games requires the existence of a protagonist and a force of antagonism that can push against the player’s encroachment. The forces arrayed against the player can take the form of directly hostile NPCs or the environment itself. It is in the space between the actions of the player and the resistance offered by the game where stealth play exists. With nothing to provide resistance, no force to threaten the player should they become exposed, there is no stealth; the concept of concealment is meaningless without a force to be concealed from.

Stealth plays manifests in the avoidance of confrontation, or in the creation of situations where any confrontations occur on your own terms. It is proactive (intentional) as much as reactive (improvisational). The composition of space and the possibilities this creates for interactions between the toolset of the player and the objects within the world defines the possibility space. The placement of objects through time and space defines not only the problems encountered, but the potential solutions available.

Stealth is about information and movement, knowing when and where to move so as to remain undetected.

Whether stealing loot or assassinating a target, stealth is a means to an end. Even in Thief, where the physical act of stealing is enacted as more than purely a button press, it is still only the final moment of the theft itself. The path to and from the loot is where the heart of the act lies. Preparing the environment, moving through space to reach your goal, and then moving away again to ensure you remain undetected, this is the core loop of stealth play. It’s an act with its own arc, its own distinct pacing, and one that, if implemented properly, exists at multiple scales over the course of the game.

Preparation, Initiation and Escape; the three broad phases of stealth play apply just as well to a game focused on stealthy assassination as one built around theft. They provide a strong arc to both the individual acts of theft or violence, and the levels within which they occur. First comes Preparation, the probing at the edges of the problem, the discovery of points of ingress, equipping your tools and moving into position. When you’re finally ready to move, it’s time to Initiate; the lock is picked, the loot is grabbed. With the deed done, you now need to Escape, to return to a safe position from which you can start the cycle anew. From something as simple as stealing a goblet from a table, to infiltrating a manor house, this arc can be repeatedly experienced throughout a well-paced stealth game.

To promote intentionality, for your actions to have systematically meaningful consequences, there needs to be entanglement. Your actions at one moment need to impact the decisions you make in the future; your preparations reveal points of entry and lead you to select certain tools that will influence your available means of escape. Entanglement is the degree to which current and future actions are impacted by previous actions. Resources and resource management are the primary means of providing entanglement, of actions with medium and long-term consequences; if you use the Rope Arrow now, you may not have it available when you need it later.

Level design can support entanglement directly through spatial and temporal design. If you have unlocked a door in order to gain entry to a portion of the level, it might make your escape easier. A distraction you used earlier may have drawn a guard away from their standard patrol route into a position that makes entering the room you need to more challenging. Entanglement need not only lead to positive changes, nor do all the changes need to be ones planned for; it is simply a measure of the degree to which past actions impact future decisions.

Level design is not purely functional, aesthetics provide context for both systems and narrative.

Thief can be broken down into the three phases of Preparation, Initiation and Escape. At a low level, the pace at which you move through these phases, and the means employed at each, remain largely under your control. Should you choose to directly engage NPCs or carefully plot a path around them, you will have a different experience; the preparation stage may be the same, but the act of initiation and escape won’t.

Broader changes of pace in stealth games provide the most support for intentionality and improvisation when they derive from alterations to the construction of the space and the encounters within. Increasing the number of light sources escalates the tension evoked by a given area, as does increasing the number and type of NPCs. An area guarded by NPCs wielding swords is experientially different to that same area instead guarded by NPCs wielding crossbows. Artificial, scripted restrictions and constraints on behaviour don’t support player expression as organically; plans cannot be relied upon when the rules are volatile. Unfortunately this type of enforced pacing is something Thief falls back on several times.

We have already looked at the systems design of Thief. Throughout the following articles we will examine how these systems have been implemented in practice within the levels of the game. We will consider how Thief supports the concepts of intentionality and improvisation through entanglement and pacing, along with how the aesthetic design of the world reinforces or contradicts its functional construction.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I started playing TF2 again and one of my weapon drops was the Fortified Compound, the Thief promo weapon for the Sniper.

Realizing I had a spare Name Tag I couldn't sell, I did this:

gaA4J.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-gem-collectors-beware-a-thief-movie-is-in-development/

Vertigo and Prime Universe are developing a movie based on THIEF, the seminal stealth action video game from Looking Glass Studios and Eidos Interactive. Adrian Askarieh and Roy Lee are producing.“Thief” is not the first stealth game that Prime Universe has adapted.

Askarieh produced the 2007 film “Hitman,” starring Timothy Olyphant and Olga Kurylenko, based on the video game of the same name. A reboot entitled “Hitman: Agent 47″ is currently in production. Vertigo, meanwhile, is coming off its own successful adaptation, “The Lego Movie,” which grossed almost half a billion dollars worldwide and met with enormous acclaim from audiences and critics alike.

The “Thief” games follow the sarcastic antihero Garrett, a trained, well, thief. Garrett lives in the unnamed, medieval/steampunk City, which is controlled by three competing factions: the chaotic Pagans; the order-obsessed Hammerites; and the Keepers, who try to maintain the balance. Orphaned and taken in by the Keepers at a young age, Garrett later strikes out on his own as an unallied thief. The first game in the series, “Thief: The Dark Project,” details Garrett’s attempts to procure a mystical gem called The Eye for a mysterious Pagan collector.I’m not a big gamer, but “Thief” is one of those games that makes me wish I were. When the first game was released in 1999, it was praised for its expansive and unscripted setting, its innovative use of sound in gameplay, and the suspense created by its emphasis on stealth over fighting. Since then, it has remained critically and commercially popular, earning spots on several gaming industry “best of” lists. But the challenge with video game movies is bridging the gap between what’s interesting to play and what’s interesting to watch. Hopefully, with the right creative team, “Thief” can make the jump.

"Releasing this Thursday, Thief is the story of Garrett (played by Mark Wahlberg) a single father trying to earn money any way he can to pay for his child's chemotherapy treatments." :lol:

I didn't know there will be a reboot of Hitman. Two stealthy rapes incoming, prepare your 3d glasses!

:avatard:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
See, this makes me angry in a way the game could never make me angry. Not content with killing a good series, they must defile the corpse while it is still fresh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom