Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Garrett is dead?
In one way or another.
:martini:

I remember you saying you didn't play Thief. Is it true and does the point still stand? :outrage:
Information osmosis.

Plus, all this shitstorm surrounding thi4f has inspired me to install it recently and I'm meaning to give it a whirl soon.

I hope you'll survive it.

Garrett is dead?
In one way or another.

I remember you saying you didn't play Thief. Is it true and does the point still stand? :outrage:
Information osmosis.

Plus, all this shitstorm surrounding thi4f has inspired me to install it recently and I'm meaning to give it a whirl soon.

If you can get a hold of it, try playing Thief: The Dark Project first. Because I can safely assume you'll play it at least 7 times :smug: That is, nothing really wrong with Thief Gold, but kind of cool to know what was changed for better or for worse.

DraQ

Arcane
Garrett is dead?
In one way or another.

Information osmosis.

If you can get a hold of it, try playing Thief: The Dark Project first. Because I can safely assume you'll play it at least 7 times :smug: That is, nothing really wrong with Thief Gold, but kind of cool to know what was changed for better or for worse.
That's what's sitting in my tray ATM.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
they are cool as fuck

Call together the keeper enforcers :love:

The enforcers were really one of my favourite additions in Deadly Shadows. Telepathic, glyph-infused ninjas with all personality erased. Just how fucking COOL is that?

Servo

Arcane
Holy shit, Bioware writing is genius compared to this bull.

No matter how stupid something is, there will always be something that out-stupids it in every conceivable way, and makes you think the original thing that was stupid is less stupid than it actually stupid is.

potatojohn

Arcane
Personally I always hated the supernatural/new-agey shit in Thief, including the Keepers

And the cutscenes were nice but I found them to be utterly confusing. In fact I finished T2 several times and still hvave no fucking clue what it's about

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Too bad the Keeper Enforcers were implemented in the most BSB way. Massacring people on the streets, really?

Generally I didn't like the portrayal of the Keepers in TDS, they were way too incompetent compared to the badasses from the first game who freed you from Constantine's plants and ran off without breaking a sweat.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Keepers were one of reasons I really didn't like TDS. And when I say "didn't like", I fucking mean it.

Keepers were basically Illuminati of Thief. A secret society. An underground organization affecting the history from shadows for centuries. In other words, dangerous creeps you would never lend money. Once such entity is established, its main point becomes mystery, concealment, unknown motives. Now guess what's the worst thing possible to do with it.

It's placing it in the spotlight. Pun intended.

But it's nitpicking! With problems around like those present in TDS, it's the least problem. Talk about voice acting, technical issues, simplified mechanics, atrocious UI, etc. Didn't really matter who's the enemy or how it's presented. The worst enemy of Thief was ION Storm... At least until this year.

Garrett is dead?
In one way or another.

Information osmosis.

Hard to find CD copy... please tell me it is this:

DSC03657.JPG

:salute:

DraQ

Arcane
Garrett is dead?
In one way or another.

Information osmosis.

Hard to find CD copy... please tell me it is this:

DSC03657.JPG

:salute:
It's this.

Gentle Player

Arcane
And the cutscenes were nice but I found them to be utterly confusing. In fact I finished T2 several times and still hvave no fucking clue what it's about

The Thief 1 and 2 (as well as the proper DS cutscenes, but not the abominably ugly in-engine "talking head" scenes) cutscenes are amongst the very best in gaming. Impeccable style and artistry. I don't see how they were confusing? Their purpose isn't to spoonfeed the player with exactly what's going on the story, which would be thematically at odds with the whole Thief world, but to convey a sense of atmosphere and character which was very clear to the viewer.

Personally I always hated the supernatural/new-agey shit in Thief, including the Keepers

:what:

These elements - unlike in most games where they just shove in as many fantastical things as possible, without rhyme or reason - were handled very well in Thief. The Hammerites and Pagans, along with the Keepers who try to maintain balance, were a very interesting take on the law/chaos dichotomy; I feel T1 and T2 mirrored each other perfectly, similar to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and (heh) Through the Looking Glass.

Divinity: Original Sin
It's great how some cutscenes of thief has shadows of actual live action actors... the end cutscene has garrett and artemus talking side by side with their hoods on, which reminds me of darth Vader and emperor palpatine talking in the hangar of the death star in ROTJ.

Sonus

Educated

Yeesh! Sounds serious. If you haven't already, you really should see a professional about that. I can't imagine what that's like.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Oh, no! Some non-central aspect of our holiest game does not appeal to his personal taste!!!

Declinator

Arbiter
The story/lore/cutscenes etc. are all non-central in a game like Thief. Same with the voice-acting. A ridiculous amount of whining about that even though cutting all voice-acting from the game would basically change nothing.

Personally I was very uninterested in the story of Thief 1 but much more interested in Thief 2 and I still consider it to be a part of the game that can largely be ignored without changing the core experience (i.e. stealth.) The only thing central about the "supernatural/new-agey shit" is that some of the enemies are supernatural or new-agey and thus the stealth parts of the game are affected.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The Thief 1 and 2 (as well as the proper DS cutscenes, but not the abominably ugly in-engine "talking head" scenes) cutscenes are amongst the very best in gaming. Impeccable style and artistry. I don't see how they were confusing? Their purpose isn't to spoonfeed the player with exactly what's going on the story, which would be thematically at odds with the whole Thief world, but to convey a sense of atmosphere and character which was very clear to the viewer.

And yet, it was always perfectly clear what you're doing: Thief 1, you do some jobs to get cash then you're hired by Constantine and have to get to the eye, then you have to stop the Trickster. One thing leads to the next and I don't see how it's confusing.
Thief 2, you do some jobs, then the Sherriff wants to kill you for some reason, you're contacted by the Keepers who give you a hint on how to proceed then you uncover the plans of the Mechanists and attempt to stop them. Same as in Thief 1, one thing leads to the next logically.

The awesome thing is that it's all narrated from first person (Garrett's perspective) and there's no big exposition stuff. You do a job, then you find stuff out, and you as the player never know more than Garrett knows.

retardation

Learned
Oh, no! Some non-central aspect of our holiest game does not appeal to his personal taste!!!
I don't know about you, but I think mystery and supernatural are pretty much central to Thief. If you think Thief is about stealing, then you deserve the shit that is Thiaf.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

And yet, it was always perfectly clear what you're doing: Thief 1, you do some jobs to get cash then you're hired by Constantine and have to get to the eye, then you have to stop the Trickster. One thing leads to the next and I don't see how it's confusing.
Thief 2, you do some jobs, then the Sherriff wants to kill you for some reason, you're contacted by the Keepers who give you a hint on how to proceed then you uncover the plans of the Mechanists and attempt to stop them. Same as in Thief 1, one thing leads to the next logically.

The awesome thing is that it's all narrated from first person (Garrett's perspective) and there's no big exposition stuff. You do a job, then you find stuff out, and you as the player never know more than Garrett knows.

Thief 2's plot did actually become a bit messed up when you started doing missions for Viktoria. The whole four mission submarine/Lost City/Casing-Masks sidetrack was especially derpy and hard to justify.

I mean, come on, we really need to find out the details of Karras's plans? The New Scripture of the Master Builder? Who gives a fuck? We know he's up to no good, why not just take the fucker out ASAP?

This is nothing new really, the flaws in Thief 2's storytelling have been apparent to fans of the series for many years.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Thief 1's plot is not particularly deep or anything but it's tightly written. Thief 2's is a mess towards the end indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom