Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

Heresiarch

Prophet
At least this turd is not made by the team which worked on DX: HR. Otherwise those guys may got fired.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
At least this turd is not made by the team which worked on DX: HR. Otherwise those guys may got fired.

Is it me or is DX: HR considered a good game now? I know people must have low stantards nowadays but wow.

Codex consensus has been that it's ok to good practically since release.

If by ok you mean mediocre then yeah. Good? No. (Apparently just my opinion).

Gord

Arcane
Obviously opinions differ. Me, I found it good and had my fun with it, but not as good as the original, obviously.
Also Missing Link improved on several issues people had with HR, especially level design, so unless you are totally against the idea, check it out when it's on sale for cheap.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Also Missing Link improved on several issues people had with HR, especially level design, so unless you are totally against the idea, check it out when it's on sale for cheap.

That was ma biggest grip yeah. Along with cover based stealth. Might try it to see if it's any better.

Gord

Arcane
In principle you could play without using sticky cover. Not great, but doable.
My biggest issue were probably the unbalanced augs, which unfortunately weren't changed in ML.

xemous

Arcane

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I have no interest in defending this game, as like I said, I have close to no interest in the stealth genre and I only have a passing interest in this game because of its good graphics and good localization, it could be nice as entertainment when I'm horribly bored and have nothing else to do. But this feature in particular with the very customizable difficulty and HUD is actually well implemented. I suspected that he was pretty much talking out of his ass when he claimed that the changes are not supported by the gameplay, so I asked him as much, and he never replied. So I did some of my own research.

now in the HUD, you have the option to turn off the minimap, threat meter, threat icons and all this. Now all of this does make the game harder irrespective of the actual game design. It forces you to be more aware of your surroundings, memorize where you last saw your enemy and try to keep a mental overview, and guess where the guards are going. This is by definition harder, and does not actually require any change to game design to actually implement. The removal of the threat indicators forces you to look more at actual visual cues, which very much exists on enemies in thief, I have seen, to see whether they are aware of your or not. If I understand correctly what this option does.

Now as for the difficuly; chapter only saves - this is as well, irrespective of game design, an increase in difficulty. Having constraints on when you can save, does undoubtedly increase the difficulty for those who would save very often, and also introduces a level of psycological difficulty - the fear of failure, which ironically often makes you more prone to do mistakes, and fail. The fear of failure, and various psycological effects, is precisely where games like dark souls derive most of its difficulty. If you could quick save at any time in dark souls, not a single guy would think dark souls was difficult.

Most of the other stuff look like typical constraints that players would put on themselves to finish the game with more difficulty, admittedly the success of many of these depends on the design of the game. And maybe some of them does not work well with the design, but there are some that I can say straight away works from what I've seen and what little I know about the game, such as
-No speciality arrows
-zero damage
-iron man mode
-no alerts
-no kills or takedowns.

As the game is very much designed to be beatable never killing anyone, or indeed never being detected. Now this may not be true for all of the other options, I can't tell, but this already covers most of them. And even with a few such options, it's waaay better than not having any such options at all.

Hehe "research". Yeah no, just no, no amount of customizing can fix this crap. Oh wow you can turn of the minimap and the threat indicator!!! Too bad the game is one long corridor so you don't need either one to begin with. What's that? Increase the difficulty by limiting saves!!!! Too bad you can hide in one closet, in one room, with 4 guards in said room and repeatedly run out to put out light sources and kill guards because they don't see you unless you stand 2 steps away. No specialty arrows!!!! Right because you really do need those rope arrows everywhere.

Heresiarch

Prophet

Is it me or is DX: HR considered a good game now? I know people must have low stantards nowadays but wow.

Have you played the game? If yes and you don't like the game it's alright. But if no, I would recommend you try it out. The general conseus even on the Codex is that it has nice details and some improvements over the first, but suffered from lots of cancelled contents, some popamole elements, and a very shitty endgame.

I know lots of people here don't like the game due to all kind of reasons including the piss yellow environment (which got fixed in the director's cut edition). But calling a game mediocore without providing some facts or at least personal opinion just seems...well, at the very least a bad trolling attempt.

potatojohn

Arcane
HR was mediocre in the grand scheme of things. I think a lot of people had a very positive response to it mostly because it didn't decline as much as it was expected.

Ten years later and a much bigger budget (one assumes) and they made a game that's inferior to the original. That's like the definition of mediocrity.

DraQ

Arcane
That was ma biggest grip yeah. Along with cover based stealth. Might try it to see if it's any better.
HR is pretty good.
Yeah, level design is not what it could've been (especially compared to DX1) due to segregation of routes and areas, boss battles are shitty and pointless (the latter being probably the most serious accusation one can level at a boss battle), there are popamole elements, some stupid balance problems and general decline in story quality towards the end, but overall it's still pretty good - shooting mechanics works pretty nicely, hacking is, at the very least far superior to original DX, there are "social battles" which I consider pretty superb novel mechanics and, while I'm not exactly a person who would defend shitty feature by saying that it's optional, you CAN play it without using popamole for either stealth or combat, and the game DOES get much better if you do.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think the people who are comparing Human Revolution to Thiaf and using arguments like "at least HR stayed more faithful to the original game" are kind of missing the point. As a Deus Ex game Human Revolution was pretty poor, the level design was way too constrained and there were lots of things that I though were wrong about the setting and the story, not to mention a few things about the gameplay. It's hard for me to even consider it a part of the same series. Still, on its own Human Revolution was actually not a bad game. It did many things well and could stand on its own two feet just fine. On the other hand Thiaf has nothing going for it. In no way can it even be directly compared to actual Thief games without being completely and utterly destroyed in the process, but as an individual game it doesn't fare any better due to being a complete disaster with no originality or vision of any kind.

DraQ

Arcane
As a Deus Ex game Human Revolution was pretty poor
I don't think I could agree with that.

It's inferior to DX1, yes, but it's a pretty high set bar.
OTOH there are quite a few aspects that are unambiguously superior to DX1 in it - like shooting mechanics, hacking, augs not being a micromanagement hell, art direction, diplomacy.
I don't think any game that actually improves upon original in significant ways can be classed as poor follow-up unless it really fails at something critical to series' identity.

potatojohn

Arcane
JA2 has contextual jumping.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom