Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
And Doom never had a story.
Code:
You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in
combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted
a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon
civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl
Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the
Union Aerospace Corporation.

The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive
waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and
Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day
consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in
the rec room.

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest
supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and
Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including
research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have
been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos,
throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out
the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown
dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them
have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form
of insanity--babbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that
breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-
body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to
the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports
state that the research is suffering a small set-back, but
everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from
Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something
fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer
systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon
afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then,
attempts to establish contact with either moon have been
unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty
million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were
ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest
of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio
picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling
orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence.
Seems your buddies are dead.

It's Up To You
Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off
the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have
been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a
pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma
rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your
way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of
pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the
landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial
firepower somewhere within the station.

As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear
animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors.
They know you're here. There's no turning back now.

And the level progression kinda presents a clear story by itself.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Stories in games are overrated, and Doom certainly didn't need one. What it did well was atmosphere, which for a game like that was more important than any story. I can't be the only one who fantasized about the mysterious, abstract world of Doom. And, when the tracks liked this kicked in:

I still get chills when thinking about those moments. Man, to be a little kid again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, Dishonored was meant to be harder than what we had but after playtesting with some random dudes it was dumbed down.
Obviously the fan that knows what he's talking about is the point here, but those don't exist anymore. To have a successful Doom game again, we need the mental state and the design choices that made Doom 1 what it is. Not 2 or 3, 1. It seems so simple, but it's just not there anymore. Imagine if a dev made a shooter with keycard hunting, that shit would not fly today, even though that was one of the most important aspects of level design back then, the thing that made levels complex and maze-like. Without keycards or secrets, you only have story. And Doom never had a story.

Wait a minute. Does this game have keycards? Has anybody even talked about that?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think one of the demos showed a keycard right next to the door that it accessed. Another instance I think I recall involved using a dismembered hand at a scanner to open a door.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Like Prey, then?
I'd assume that id would at least include keyboards after reading youtube comments saying 'doom is better than cod cuz cods levels are a straight line while doom has KEYCARDS mazes'

Machocruz

Arcane
The only keycards the makers of this shit log are interested in
images

Dayyālu

Arcane
Is Prey any good, by the way? I've heard some mixed things about it.

Prey is the best game that came out of the Doom3 engine. And that's it.

Better than Doom3 (that's easy) better than Quake4 and Wolfestein. I forgot the Dark Mod, methinks, but that does not count :lol:

As a shooter, it's not bad. It's not great, either. The shooting, enemy variety and attempts at creating a original and creative setting are nice. The weapons show bits of originality despite being mostly the standard FPS arsenal reskinned to appear more alien. AI is quite braindead and boss fights are underwhelming, though.

They tried to be creative with portals (like in Portal 1&2, only fixed) some enviroment puzzles (if I remember right), gravity shenanigans and vehicles. Plus the Indian powers are rather creative, even if the execution is somewhat derpy. Art direction is nice if you ar a fan of biological horrors just because.

All said and done, it's worth 5 bucks, maybe 10. It's adequate, fun in most situations, and it shows originality, despite some heavy shortcomings in AI and overall level design (it inherits still the Doom3 limits of being too often cramped in a corridor).

If you want to remove it from an inventory, as they say, it's worth your time.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's adequate, fun in most situations, and it shows originality, despite some heavy shortcomings in AI and overall level design (it inherits still the Doom3 limits of being too often cramped in a corridor).
I'll say this: when it doesn't take you through cramped corridors, the level design is incredibly good. The sense of scale in some of the open levels, particularly in the later levels, is unmatched in any FPS. Unfortunately only a handful of levels are this good. I agree with everything else you said.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Well, Dishonored was meant to be harder than what we had but after playtesting with some random dudes it was dumbed down.
Obviously the fan that knows what he's talking about is the point here, but those don't exist anymore. To have a successful Doom game again, we need the mental state and the design choices that made Doom 1 what it is. Not 2 or 3, 1. It seems so simple, but it's just not there anymore. Imagine if a dev made a shooter with keycard hunting, that shit would not fly today, even though that was one of the most important aspects of level design back then, the thing that made levels complex and maze-like. Without keycards or secrets, you only have story. And Doom never had a story.
It's the same kind of mental state that Terminator Genisys lacked that the first and the second movies had.

We ain't getting back to that.

Mustawd

I have no words....DOOM was the very first PC game I remember really enjoying. I was with my parents at a Sam's Club on a Saturday shopping for whatever...probably laundry washing machines. Walked over to the PC section and saw one of the machines (I think IBM?) had a DOOM demo. It was mesmerizing, amazing, jaw dropping action like I had never experienced before.

After seeing these trailers with BS cinematic take downs it makes me a bit sad. As if I just found out a good friend has died and I now know I'll never be able to hang out or talk to them ever again.

TL;DR New DOOM = :0-13:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-14-doom-closed-alpha-sign-ups-now-available

Doom multiplayer closed alpha sign-ups now available

Bethesda has opened up registration for Doom's multiplayer closed alpha on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

This is not to be confused with the beta that will be made available for those who pre-ordered Wolfenstein: The New Order on or before 26th May, 2014.

This closed alpha is a "series of development-driven tests designed to stress test the game's dedicated server infrastructure in a real-world consumer environment," developer id Software stated on the registration page. "It is not the beta, a demo, or representative of the final game."

The closed alpha will entail one map, Heatwave, an industrial-themed stage full of narrow hallways and tight chambers.

There will only be one mode available with six vs six team deathmatch. The map will have one "Demon Rune" that temporarily transforms the player into a jetpack-wearing dual rocket launcher-wielding demon named Revenant.

To combat Revenant, there will be one power weapon called the Gauss Cannon. This deadly weapon can take down a foe in one shot, while its alternate firing mode allows its user to see through walls. It's recommended to be used against a demon, as it has very limited ammo. Once it's out of shells you'll have to wait for it to reappear on the map.

Other weapons in the closed alpha will include the Vortex Rifle, Super Shotgun, Repeater, Rocket Launcher, Static Cannon and Plasma Rifle. Equipment items will be limited to a Personal Teleporter and Frag Grenades.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have no words....DOOM was the very first PC game I remember really enjoying. I was with my parents at a Sam's Club on a Saturday shopping for whatever...probably laundry washing machines. Walked over to the PC section and saw one of the machines (I think IBM?) had a DOOM demo. It was mesmerizing, amazing, jaw dropping action like I had never experienced before.

After seeing these trailers with BS cinematic take downs it makes me a bit sad. As if I just found out a good friend has died and I now know I'll never be able to hang out or talk to them ever again.

Well, no, the mods for Doom are still being churned out and are still pretty damn good. If you get tired of that, there's always the Build engine mods. You can very much talk to your dead video games.

Overdrawn metaphors aside, Doom 3 was released like 11 years ago. The damage, decline, etc etc, that already happened.

Mustawd

Doom 3 was released like 11 years ago. The damage, decline, etc etc, that already happened.

Never played it since my rig wasn't good enough back then, so it was easy enough to pretend it never happened. But I had high hopes for the new one.

UserNamer

Cipher
the setting doesn't look good at all. The enemies aren't interesting, it seems like a step backwards from rage animations wise.

it seems they depowered guns to make you enjoy the totally cool take down mechanics (sort of like valve nerfed all the guns in hl2 to make you notice the gimmicky gravity gun.

the item pinata looks stupid.

the marine has to use a power armor to do cool stuff instead of muscles and stimpacks. That's shitty

the pr crafted enthusiasm about the legacy of DOOM is pathetic.

why introduce a bonus to turn you into a revenant? Why not just adding a jetpack, aberserker pack and a double rocket launcher? Maybe they should have introduced a mode where you play as an archvile and an hordes of demon are swarming a human team

Machocruz

Arcane
lel no point in asking why anything these days. Answer is always "lack of taste and/or imagination."

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom