Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Shoulder-mounted flashlight is the reason for BFG edition. But if there's no traditional save system, I might have to go back to the original. I hate installing mods.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
You don't even need the flashlight most of the time in vanilla Doom 3 unless you're playing in a bright room.

The Decline

Arcane
The BFG edition also fixes the fucked up pda when you run the game in any aspect ratio other than 4:3. I wish someone would backport that fix to vanilla Doom 3.

About Doom 3: I find it a interesting game, because its sort of Earth-2 Doom, where Tom Hall's design predominated over John Carmack's. But done with 2000s tech.

I wonder what would have happened if that other Doom was released instead. Become a cult classic like System Shock? Would we have seen more story-focused shooters earlier on, possibly leading to a more sucessful ARPG genre? Or would it flop and another genre would take over shooters' place?

Remember that we talked here in KKKodex before about how Doom's level design is very RPG dungeon-ish, and we know that the original ID team loved their PnP.

Lord Haw Haw

Educated
I believe someone here boss battles were reminiscent of Metroid Prime's. Well, it seems they were right:

Gotta say, the Cyberdemon's new design is still ridiculous. Even Doom 3's Mecha-Balrog was better.

Just why?

Giant boss health bar? Really? Cyberdemon trapping you with spikes to force you to jump or duck horizontal slashes was so dumb I had to rewind the video to make sure I'm not seeing things and what even was that second enemy and that spin-in-place-and-shoot-flames-everywhere attack? I thought people were just extra edgy when they talked about earthworm jim.

This really reminds me of how bad and out of place bossfights were in DX:HR because some genius thought it's good idea to outsource them.

My favorite yt comment: "the gunplay reminds me of ratchet and clank."

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
Currently it isn't possible. I have no doubt that it will happen eventually though, as modding capabilities get expanded either officially by id or by ingenious doomers.

Dalek

Novice
The solo was good, hard&fast enough to keep my interest during the campaign and giving me hard on when firing the BFG. The non story was also pretty good (made me chuckle few times and doesn't get in the way, and I read somewhere they made all wads canon, pretty cool).
My complaints are mainly about level design which could have been better (although I'm not hating on arenas, I fucking love SS games), the wasted multi (damn would a coop with bigger maps and more pre placed enemies instead of spawning ones be good), the snapmap, and the fact modding is prolly fucked. Oh, and the checkpoint system. I fucking hate checkpoints, let us quicksave for fuck sake.
Still a solid game, best solo FPS since some time now IMO. Worth 10-15 buck, not more unless bethesda get their head out of their asses about mod tools.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The weapon or flashlight system in D3 was retarded tho.

Indeed it was. Thinking about replaying D3 after all this time, but realizing playing a long janitor simulator is not my cup of tea. At least the PC version of D4 seems to be dynamic and action oriented. The most memorable were hell levels but the rest - meh.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
your shtick is no longer funny now that you've been outed as a troll and not a genuine plant

sorry bubbles

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
I am neither, but I am here mostly for fun though.

For one, some of you are pathologically unable to process the fact that other people might seriously think differently than you do (your comment being another example of that), and that is a constant source of fascination for me.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

For one, some of you are pathologically unable to process the fact that other people might seriously think differently than you do (your comment being another example of that), and that is a constant source of fascination for me.

Lel. You just described the core of the KODEX. You get used to it after a while, the facination turns to hatred and disgust, and finally you just don't give a shit. It's a proces.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Lel. You just described the core of the KODEX. You get used to it after a while, the facination turns to hatred and disgust, and finally you just don't give a shit. It's a proces.

The Codex is the place of incline. For people like you, there's the rest of the Internet.

Quatlo

Arcane

You sound like we actually give a fuck about "other people"

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

The Codex is a freakshow. For people like you, watching this show unfold is captivating

Fixed that for you. Also see my sig for the truth. Nothing worse than a hivemind of autistic circlejerkin' to hammer home how far away from reality most of you are. Like a beautiful trainwreck. You wanna look away, but you can't, somehow. If you truly were objective, you would have a point, but you're not. You're just as subjective as everybody else, you just add 60 % unnecessary EDGINESS to everything. Boring and predictable, shtick.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Fixed that for you. Also see my sig for the truth. Nothing worse than a hivemind of autistic circlejerkin' to hammer home how far away from reality most of you are. Like a beautiful trainwreck. You wanna look away, but you can't, somehow. If you truly were objective, you would have a point, but you're not. You're just as subjective as everybody else, you just add 60 % unnecessary EDGINESS to everything. Boring and predictable, shtick.

The lady doeth protest too much, methinks.

Doktor Best

Arcane
The more i get into the game the more i like it. It is not on classic Doom level of quality but most certainly reaches Quake 1, surpassing most other shooters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom