Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202991655&postcount=504

Some early impressions, yeah, this is going to be a divisive title.

EDIT:

Story seems cool, you're all going to hate this. You're the marine from Doom 1 & 2, in this new Doom all the events from Doom 1, 2 and 3 have happened and the original marine has been imprisoned by the demons for a long time including his original armor which he reacquires.

pippin

Story seems cool, you're all going to hate this. You're the marine from Doom 1 & 2, in this new Doom all the events from Doom 1, 2 and 3 have happened and the original marine has been imprisoned by the demons for a long time including his original armor which he reacquires.

So Doom4 got the nuWolfenstein treatment?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

EDIT:Story seems cool, you're all going to hate this. You're the marine from Doom 1 & 2, in this new Doom all the events from Doom 1, 2 and 3 have happened and the original marine has been imprisoned by the demons for a long time including his original armor which he reacquires.

Thanks for this neogaf thread. Story was never DOOM's strong side. Even Carmak cut the stroy in original Doom because he thought it'll be too much. Only what bugged me in Wolfenstein New order was somewhat cliffhanger ending. I would like this DOOM surpasses ending in boss fight design and in the story punch line. Hopefully, it'll set up new Doom franchise on the next level.

For my personal preference, DOOM will be fusion of Bioshock RPG narrative with this new gameplay we were presented.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, here I am after playing quite a few hours (can't tell you how many as the game is not visible on my Xbox profile, but I guess at least 6). I'll drop some notes bullet point style, in no particular order. Feel free to ask questions, of course, and in case I'll happily try to answer.
Oh, a premise: I intentionally did NOT watch the 1hr long stream dedicated to single player, as I really wanted to experience the game directly, being genuinely surprised by the experience. So pardon me if some of the things I'll say might be obvious for you at this point.

• I think this game will be pretty divisive, as some of the base mechanics are pretty particular and not really that expected. Despite a not so memorable beginning, I'm definitely having quite some fun with it, but still I think this new iteration of Doom might not be everyone's cup of tea.... but I'll get to that.

• The graphics on Xbox One are really, really good. The world is detailed, rich and with lots of great effects all around, and thanks to the absolutely solid art direction the overall effect is honestly truly impressive. Even more considering that the game runs at 60 FPS, with no apparent slowdowns whatsoever (except for maybe one or two minor occasions while loading a new area, but absolutely never in combat). Unfortunately though the tearing is back (as it was in the Alpha), and it's definitely visible. I also experienced a weird problem during a mission, with one particular kind of enemy looking completely gray - as if the textures weren't properly loaded - and the ambient voices suddendly going silent: I had to quit the game and start it up again to make things right, weird. But again, apart from those flaws, the visual impact is pretty fucking amazing.

• I dig the art direction, a lot. At first it felt a bit too sci-fi and less satanical (even if the sci-fi was surely fascinating with its emphasis on heavy machinery and industrial settings, with some elements that reminded me of both Halo 4 and Warhammer 40k), but once you get to Hell... woah, you will not be disappointed. The character designs is equally great, I personally adore the designs of the various demons: they look menacing and grotesque, and it's super fun to tear them apart. And also, something that is a big plus in my book: the game is not afraid to use colors. Of course the palette will be mainly red and brownish, but the tones are super saturated, and here and there you will see some inspiring and jaw-dropping panoramas of damnation.

• The music is ACE. It's not always there, as when you are exploring it's mostly ambient effects and noises in the background, but when you start fighting and the soundtrack kicks in, it's fucking BADASS. Seriously, it's empowering as fuck, and it's another element that pushes you to be even more aggressive, more brutal and more lethal. Mick Gordon is really a beast (not that I had any doubt after the awesomeness heard in Killer Instinct!), and expect something beyond the crazy good industrial tunes. Gregorian chants in hell anyone?

• There is a lot of exploration: the levels are frankly pretty huge, elaborate and absolutely full of secrets. Lots of collectibles, data and power ups to find, and once per mission even some vey well hidden sections taken straight from the original Doom, with the graphics suddenly changing and becoming like the dream section seen in Wolfenstein TNO, to give you that sweet retro feeling (even if the enemy models will stay the same).

• To my surprise, there is quite some plot. Nothing that really gets in the way of the action, but I wasn't even expecting so many dialogues, little cutscenes and that amount of info regarding the lore. It's no The Last of Us of course (the main character is really just a dull shell, pretty much), but it's still entertaining... and it reminded me of Dead Space a couple of times (the tone is similar, and also some of the events, with basically hell unleashed on the surface of Mars)

• The RPG like progression of the main character is another element that took me by surprise: you are expected to explore the levels and fight with style (I'll get to that...) in order to become more powerful. By doing so, you will improve your personal abilities - i.e. more grenades, quicker weapon swap, better defense - but also your weapons (each of them has two secondary fire modes activated with LT, plus some other abilities like quicker cooldowns, more shells etc etc). It's nothing mindblowing, but it's a nice touch that adds depth to the experience (also because to fully max out a weapon you need to complete final special task like "kill 5 Mancubi with a Charged Rifle Shots" or stuff like that).

• The pacing and the way combat happens is honestly a bit weird, and I think that not everyone will enjoy this: you basically explore areas that are/feel more or less empty, then you get to certain points and... BAM! you fight like hell. Basically, enemies start spawning around you almost in waves, and you have to survive and kill them all to move on. Mind that you are not constrained in a small area (like a single room), yet the fight happens in a particular (and usually not so small) place, so you will definitely experience a bit of an arena-like feel. In that sense, the E3 demo with the Hell setting is really representative of the whole experience: the level is there at your disposal, and you have to be smart to use it at your advantage: some of the creatures will chase you, other will wait for you, others will keep jumping here and there... And you will have to simply bring mayhem all around, traversing the level at full speed, double jumping all over, hiding for just a couple of seconds inside a grotto, finding power ups and shells that are there to assist you in your massacre. The soundtrack will pump straight through your veins, adrenaline will rush, you will have to act smart and sometimes even improvise, judging what to do in a split second (which will result in either a beautiful victory or a shameful game over!) and there will definitely be blood. Like A LOT of it.
Once you've killed everyone, the enemies will stop spawning, so you will be completely safe and you won't encounter any more monsters in that area (which kinds of removes the tension IMO, but that's clearly the way they designed the game).

• Let's get real: as it was evident since the E3 presentation, there is a ton of emphasis on finishers. It's not just a matter of being spectacular per se (also because they kinda become the norm at the 27th Glory Kill agains an Imp), but it's also something that's deeply rooted in the game design itself. And, of course, that won't please everyone. Let me explain a bit how it works: when a demon is hurt enough, he will glow blue - with a very distinctive and honestly kinda annoying visual signal. That means you can perform a Glory Kill on him: if you are close enough by pressing R3 you will fuck him up for good with a quick and super gory finisher à la Mortal Kombat (the animation depends on the enemy type and on your position, and they are of course nasty and gruesome). A Glory Kill not only means that your opponent will instantly go down: it will also mean more rewards for you, like more health, other bullets and... more style points. Yes, because the game features - surprisingly, at least for me - a system that rewards you for killing your foes with style. Imagine something not too different from the one seen in Bulletstorm, even if a bit simpler: you can get up to 5 UAC shields per mission, and each one of them is used to improve your weapons as discussed before. So, willing or not, if you want to play well and become more powerful, you need to (ab)use the Glory Kills as much as possible. How much will you enjoy this, will depend solely on you: it's certainly a particular mechanic that pretty much defines this new chapter of Doom. Consider this: at times I found myself attacking purposely from a distance, in order not to hurt a demon too much, just to get the change to trigger the Glory Kill... Which is kind of a paradox, but still.

• The AI could be better. I'm playing at Ultra Violence and I think it's a bit on the easy side: opponents could be a lot more aggressive, more cunning, more vicious. At times they do feel like simple meat there to be slaughtered, frankly. Which is of course nice in a way, as you feel powerful as fuck... yet I wouldn't mind more challenge.

• Weapons are really good. Some are better than others (i.e. the standard gun and the heavy machine gun are not that useful, at least for my playstyle), but overall you get an absolutely rewarding sense of inflicted pain when shooting some evilish creature in the face. It's brutal, it's squishy, it's cruel, it's Doom.

That's it, at least for now... if something else comes to my mind, I will add more.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So to kill with style, you have to fuck around by almost killing the demons, then walking up to them as they are in their overly long stagger animation and press the awesome button?
And you get a higher score and thus better rewards depending on how many times you do that? So if I want to play for survival and just shoot demons to death, I won't get the extra ammo and health I really need and will be eventually forced to take a risk (if it can be called a risk) by doing an Awesome Kill for items? So if I want to play for score, I have to not completely kill as many demons as possible and then perform an Awesome Kill on every single one? Meaning I'll be seeing the same three Awesome Kill animations all the time? And the only way to 'kill with style' and thus get a higher score is by doing a close-range takedown, unlike in Bulletstorm where each weapon has unique skillshots, each alternate fire has unique skillshots, each enemy has unique skillshots, groups of enemies have unique skillshots, each new environment has unique skillshots, beer has unique skillshots, and all of those in combination with my leash, slide, Thumper and kick abilities have unique skillshots, whereas nuDoom only lets you kill with style by doing Awesome Kills? What is the score exactly grading me for?

lightbane

Arcane
Achievements, duh. :M

So not even the Doomguy is safe from the decline. It would explain why the game seems so slow: even The Man and A Half can't ignore age catching him.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Reviews mean shit these days so why give a fuck? Better to download a demo-version.

Veelq

Augur
5Pq0EfC.jpg

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I think that the gameplay will be greeted by majority if they succeed with following:
Every weapons has at least 2 upgrades paths and several modifications+runes. It would be cool if in several playthroughs you could have and feel different experiences based on your upgrade choices.
As if you could make several player classes. IMO, this could work if the style differences are varied and do not limit the player.​

Baron Dupek

Arcane
55GB for demo? nothx I rather DL doom2 and then some weapons mod from D4, all about 1/4 GB worth.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

EDIT:

Really going with the Wolfenstink formula, it seems. I hope Doomguy goes out on the Martian surface and slits his fucking wrist.

So to kill with style, you have to fuck around by almost killing the demons, then walking up to them as they are in their overly long stagger animation and press the awesome button?
And you get a higher score and thus better rewards depending on how many times you do that? So if I want to play for survival and just shoot demons to death, I won't get the extra ammo and health I really need and will be eventually forced to take a risk (if it can be called a risk) by doing an Awesome Kill for items? So if I want to play for score, I have to not completely kill as many demons as possible and then perform an Awesome Kill on every single one? Meaning I'll be seeing the same three Awesome Kill animations all the time? And the only way to 'kill with style' and thus get a higher score is by doing a close-range takedown, unlike in Bulletstorm where each weapon has unique skillshots, each alternate fire has unique skillshots, each enemy has unique skillshots, groups of enemies have unique skillshots, each new environment has unique skillshots, beer has unique skillshots, and all of those in combination with my leash, slide, Thumper and kick abilities have unique skillshots, whereas nuDoom only lets you kill with style by doing Awesome Kills? What is the score exactly grading me for?
Makes think of Devil May Cry, or more rather the shitty reboot one, DmC.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant

If they wanted it to be his original armor they should have made it gray and green like the original Doomguy. That would help it look somewhat less like Master Chief.

I'm sorry, I really just hate the armor design they went with for Doomguy, it just looks way too much like Halo.

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, doom 1 & 2, same engine, then 3, with all next gen graphics. now we have d44m. We can trace a parallel between this and thief series... Thief 1 & 2 on the same engine, then 3, with next gen graphics. Then we had thi4f.

The 1 and 2 of these series are probably the most fun you can get with games, specially due to the enourmous FM content. Doom 3 was a reboot, but actually not that bad, but vastly inferior next to the originals. Thief 3 came about the same time, used stencil shadows like doom 3, was not a reboot, but also inferior than the games before. Both 3 iterations mods are focused in improving the game and get rid of its flaws.

Now the No. 4 games are made by people who had no involvement with the originals. Thi4f is a disaster that I vowed I'll never play from the get go, and though I'm sometimes tempted to get it on a sale, I gather myself together and come back to my senses. The temptation is that sometimes, I actually want to see how bad it is. D44m, well... looks like it's going on the same direction. But my main motives not to buy it is mostly the ultra expensive huehue price. And by the last videos, the game may actually have some fun hiding inside. And it's not actually a reboot? But so far, as disgusting some of the consolized gameplay was, it never hit me like thi4f and it's smug hipster game designers.

Durandal

Arcane
Makes think of Devil May Cry, or more rather the shitty reboot one, DmC.
scoring systems are there to grade the player's abilities by having them use all mechanics in the game, for the sake of self-improvement and competition
for example, you can just use the same three combos in DMC, but that's not going to fill up your Style Meter. If you want to get a SSS rank, you need to play as stylish as possible, which means juggling enemies as much as possible, varying your combos, not getting hit, looking cool, and occasionally taunting. DmC fucked this up by having the Style Meter just rise whenever you are playing 'normally', and not by using every trick in the box (not that DmC really has any), thus casual players are more likely to get SSS ranks and feel better about themselves while the lower skill ceiling might frustrate or bore experienced players.

In Doom, the marks of a good player are situational awareness, positioning, and knowing which weapon to use. Scoring in first-person shooters isn't always that great, so if you were to implement a scoring system which isn't just an endurance test, you could either score the player on the time it took to complete a level or just add a bunch of new mechanics to add some new challenge to regular play. SHMUPs do this by having score systems based around grazing, point-blanking, chaining etc. while shooting and dodging bullets, and Demonsteele has a meter which fills depending on how quickly you kill shit, which fits with the flow since Demonsteele is all about GOING FAST. So what nuDoom apparently tries to do for scoring, is to grade the player for walking up to monsters while they are almost dead, and then execute them with a gory takedown. From what I've seen, Glory Kills are not a flow-breaker as I originally thought. But having a scoring system which revolves AROUND Glory Kills is a huge mistake. Being able to Glory Kill is nice every now and then, but having to constantly watch out to not kill an enemy before you can Glory Kill it, especially once the size of enemy groups increases, might become a huge pain. The game would become less about crowd control, but more about flow-breaking meta bullshit instead. If anything, you should be ranked for how well you remain in the flow (e.g. chaining) instead of how many Glory Kills you can execute. Chaining would fit nuDoom than the original more considering the arena level design of enemies randomly spawning around you in an enclosed area, and there being no 'dead time' thanks to arena level design, unlike old-school level design where you aren't always hardlocked into an encounter.

That said, I still think Glory Kills mask the developer's inability for proper item placement, and are a crutch for casuals by rewarding awesome kills with health and ammo. Don't base a scoring system around a fucking crutch without keeping in mind risk/reward, staying in the flow, and being fun/challenging to pull off. Take a page from shoot 'em ups to learn about scoring.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
also because to fully max out a weapon you need to complete final special task like "kill 5 Mancubi with a Charged Rifle Shots" or stuff like that.

So they didn't just rip off Brutal Doom, but the Doom RogueLike as well?

Once you've killed everyone, the enemies will stop spawning

Quality level writing here, but it's just stream-of-thought-writing, so...

...so you will be completely safe and you won't encounter any more monsters in that area (which kinds of removes the tension IMO, but that's clearly the way they designed the game).

D44M: Now with Safe Spaces.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Serious Sam sometimes had enemies spawn in previously cleared areas, but most of the time it was because you had to backtrack there.

T. Reich

Arcane
I wonder how long would it take Bethesda to merge Fallout, Doom and Skyrim into one big homogeneous frankenstein monster of a franchise...

The only mod tools that the consumers are getting is the snapmap shit, so if you want some souls shit for d44m you're going have to wait until some one makes a jury rigged method of putting mods into the game.

Durandal

Arcane
holy fuck how BORING
this is Bethesda's answer to E1M1?
throwing three-four meatbags at you at a time in enclosed enviroments where you have a hard time seeing shit because everything blends in with the background, trying to kill everything with your peashooter and Awesome Kills because Bethesda can't into item placement and just give you some fucking shotgun ammo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom