Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ The Most Useless Perks

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
...that you can't help but get.

For me it's FNV's own Terrifying Presence.
EU0j5Cd.jpg

With the total of 18 uses throughout the entire game and all it does is start a fight you could've started anyway. Still, it feels good to answer "Who the fuck are you?!" with "Pale death come to bear you to perdition!".

Last edited:

Trithne

Erudite
Every perk in CP2077.

Edit: Just noticed the "That you can't help but get"

Well I guess I can't help but get them because what else do I do with the fucking perk points?

wishbonetail

Learned
I saddens me to say but in Fallout1,2 with a perk every third level, almost all of them besides few essential are useless. Every other level in NV is a huge improvement.
Shit i missed 'u cant help but get' too. So it would be Rad Powered in NV. It is not useless, on the contrary it is gamebreaking, making u immortal right from lv4. And I cant help but get this shit and break my game.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Any perk that gives some minor but completely necessary % increase in whatever.

%-based skills/perks are not only lazy, but utterly boring.

Alphons

Cipher
I'll take gimmick perks over the boring, balanced ones.

More Terrifying Presences, Animal Friends, Bloody Messes and less +1% to something or +5 to skill.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

EU0j5Cd.jpg

With the total of 18 uses throughout the entire game and all it does is start a fight you could've started anyway. Still, it feels good to answer "Who the fuck are you?!" with "Pale death come to bear you to perdition!".

Risen 2's take on that type of perk was much more amusing and interesting. The one that let you attempt to shoot someone with your pistol in the middle of dialogue.

Humbaba

Arcane
I wish there was more room in cRPGs for roleplaying purpose perks instead of gameplay perks but usually you're forced to choose between the two and more often than not you're handicapping yourself by not going for the gameplay perks. I would put them into separate categories so you get to choose 2 gameplay perks and 2 roleplaying perks for example. That way you get +5% dmg to eye shots AND get to roleplay as a dentist (or whatever) without being forced to drop one for the other.

deuxhero

Arcane
Weapon Focus in any D&D3 based game (NWN, NWN2, KotOR, KotOR2, D&D Tactics, ToEE, Kingmaker and likely others). It's nearly useless (less than 1 in 20 chance to covert a miss into a hit) but
1: It's required for way too many things
2: Most of the above games don't implement enough useful feats and have high enough level caps that many characters will eventually have to take it because they've taken everything else.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Weapon Focus in any D&D3 based game (NWN, NWN2, KotOR, KotOR2, D&D Tactics, ToEE, Kingmaker and likely others). It's nearly useless (less than 1 in 20 chance to covert a miss into a hit) but
1: It's required for way too many things
2: Most of the above games don't implement enough useful feats and have high enough level caps that many characters will eventually have to take it because they've taken everything else.

I've always used a variant rule in PF where it applies to a group of weapons rather than one (similar to the fighter weapon training class feature). It still doesn't make the feat that useful but it does at least mean you get a little more choice with weapon selection.

I've also seen some variant rules that merge a lot of the very basic weapon feats together into one.

wishbonetail

Learned
I saddens me to say but in Fallout1,2 with a perk every third level, almost all of them besides few essential are useless...

They are "useless" in a powergaming sense, but I think most were put there for role playing reasons.[/QUOTE]
Okay. In Fallout 1 you can get 4 or 5 perks until endgame if you not grinding. What roleplaying purpose does Awareness serve, Heave ho, Dodger, Earlier sequence, More criticals, Friendly foe, Snakeeater, Sharshooter? These are combat perks and they are crap. Action boy, Bonus rate of fire, Bonus hth attacks, Toughness, Better criticals are essential for combat and we're out of perks.
Faster healing mutate,swift learner, smooth talker, presense, mr fixit, medic, educated, master thief, ranger, scout give bonuses so negligible that you better take combat ones instead. And i will remind that our perk budget is 5 perks during normal walkthrough. This game aspect clearly wasnt thought out. A perk every other level is a must to open decent roleplaying opportunities. And that the reason why i played thousands of hours in NV.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I saddens me to say but in Fallout1,2 with a perk every third level, almost all of them besides few essential are useless...

They are "useless" in a powergaming sense, but I think most were put there for role playing reasons.
Okay. In Fallout 1 you can get 4 or 5 perks until endgame if you not grinding. What roleplaying purpose does Awareness serve, Heave ho, Dodger, Earlier sequence, More criticals, Friendly foe, Snakeeater, Sharshooter? These are combat perks and they are crap. Action boy, Bonus rate of fire, Bonus hth attacks, Toughness, Better criticals are essential for combat and we're out of perks.
Faster healing mutate,swift learner, smooth talker, presense, mr fixit, medic, educated, master thief, ranger, scout give bonuses so negligible that you better take combat ones instead. And i will remind that our perk budget is 5 perks during normal walkthrough. This game aspect clearly wasnt thought out. A perk every other level is a must to open decent roleplaying opportunities. And that the reason why i played thousands of hours in NV.
You're not wrong about a lot of Fallout 1 perks being dogshit, but you could have chosen some better examples. Toughness is dogshit (it even has 3 ranks for some fucking reason) when you can casually hit 90% DR with Psycho and power armor. More Criticals is a great perk, especially since Slayer and Sniper are virtually impossible to reach in a normal playthrough. Why not go with Rad Resistance, a perk that only matters for one location and that provides a negligible bonus compared to Rad-X?

Melcar

Arcane

They are "useless" in a powergaming sense, but I think most were put there for role playing reasons.

You can finish the game with any of those perks. What's the problem? You won't make an "optimal" build, but neither are your "essential" perks absolute musts needed to finish the base game. A lot of these extra perks are just there to add flavor to your role playing. Are you telling me you can't even imagine finishing the game with a character loaded with all the "worst" perks? People have done that before.

wishbonetail

Learned
You're not wrong about a lot of Fallout 1 perks being dogshit, but you could have chosen some better examples. Toughness is dogshit (it even has 3 ranks for some fucking reason) when you can casually hit 90% DR with Psycho and power armor. More Criticals is a great perk, especially since Slayer and Sniper are virtually impossible to reach in a normal playthrough. Why not go with Rad Resistance, a perk that only matters for one location and that provides a negligible bonus compared to Rad-X?
I usually take toughness for melee char and i dont like power armor, it breaks immersion. Okay, swap toughness with more criticals. The point still stands, 80 percent of perks arent worth it and do not offer much in terms of flavor or roleplaying. For me at least.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

EU0j5Cd.jpg

Here and now.

deuxhero

Arcane
Remembered one that actually makes the game worse just for existing: Weapon Finesse (Lightsaber) in KotOR 2. The only reason to take this is because the game isn't 100% clear that Weapon Finesse (Melee Weapons) also works on lightsabers, and the biggest reason that's not clear is is the existance of Weapon Finesse (Lightsabers). The restoration project and fan patch fix this by giving it for free as a reward for a restored quest, and making it impossible to take on level up (respectively).

Saduj

Arcane
I got to pick 11 or so perks for my character in Encased. Two were pretty cool and the rest ranged from sub par to "I'm taking this because there is nothing else to pick".

plem

Learned
I got to pick 11 or so perks for my character in Encased. Two were pretty cool and the rest ranged from sub par to "I'm taking this because there is nothing else to pick".

I liked the one that gives you bonuses while on drugs. using that on my max perception psionic gave me ridiculous amounts of bonus xp and psi skills.

tkx

Barely Literate
Pretty much every perk in Skyrim.
If that's too generic a response, then the Poisoned one from the Pickpocketing tree. A completely non-optimal way to kill a target, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom