Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The most difficult boss encounter in a CRPG.

The fight at the end of the 'grand ultimate' ending for ADOM. Granted, to even get to it your character has to be so insanely absurdly stupidly powerful not just due to the regular game's difficulty, but also due to the insane requirements that have forced you to go almost all the way to one alignment and then go all the way to become a champion of the opposite alignment, do about 4 extra uber-boss fights, extra areas and kill pretty much everyone that's a power in the game. So you think that because your little ASCII guy is powerful enough to cross into the chaos plane, that's there's nothing that can possibly threaten his over powered ass.

Then about 5 turns later you realise you were very very fucking mistaken.

Sarevok in BG.

No, seriously.

I could handle every other boss in the series easily except him. Probably because just about every other boss in the series is either a) a mage which means it's weak as a kitten or b) in BG2, where your arsenal and options are much greater(i.e. let's just summon five hundred Fire Elementals or lolGate+Prot from Evil).

But Sarevok? He's a level Awesome Fighter, which means it's impossible to dodge his god knows how many attacks per round because of his super low ThAC0. At the same time his own AC is great too, so hitting him with anything but pure Fighter can be troublesome. Magic? He's got something like ~80% Magic Resistance, so it's pretty damn pointless. As if he wasn't enough, there's a high level mage and a fighter next to him, AND there are impossible to disarm traps everywhere.

AND you reach his lair just after you fight a well-equipped party, AND Tomoko, AND resting in that location is a problem because of Ghouls.

The final fight in Gateway to the savage frontier was fairly difficult, but you didn't have to fight it to win.

End battle for Dark Heart of Uukrul.

The Deathlord at the end of Deathlord. This may be the hardest one I have come across, but this game is filled with tough battles.

Namtar was a bit of a dog to beat as well. End of Dragon Wars.

Certain there are others, but I cannot think of them at the moment.

Emotional Vampire said:
Sarevok in BG.

No, seriously.

I could handle every other boss in the series easily except him. Probably because just about every other boss in the series is either a) a mage which means it's weak as a kitten or b) in BG2, where your arsenal and options are much greater(i.e. let's just summon five hundred Fire Elementals or lolGate+Prot from Evil).

But Sarevok? He's a level Awesome Fighter, which means it's impossible to dodge his god knows how many attacks per round because of his super low ThAC0. At the same time his own AC is great too, so hitting him with anything but pure Fighter can be troublesome. Magic? He's got something like ~80% Magic Resistance, so it's pretty damn pointless. As if he wasn't enough, there's a high level mage and a fighter next to him, AND there are impossible to disarm traps everywhere.

AND you reach his lair just after you fight a well-equipped party, AND Tomoko, AND resting in that location is a problem because of Ghouls.

Sarevok actually went down that fast for me that I cannot even remember just what I did! I think I had one of my mage summon something to confuse his henchmen, and all the bowmen attacked Sarevok. Seconds later, win.

I had a lot more trouble with those idiots at the top of the enemy base, I cannot remember the name now. Iron throne or something. Took a reload or two to get the tactics right there.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Sarevok? Nah, you can easily rest before him since the ghouls are not that big of a problem, the traps on the sides can be removed so you have some space, then the rest is just buffing and spamming. His allies flee as soon as he dies, which makes it even easier.

Though, I never tried Sarevok with original xp cap (89k), only with ToSC installed (161k) and those 2 extra lvls probably make a big difference but the basic plan doesn't change.

Elzair

Cipher
Emotional Vampire said:
Sarevok in BG.

No, seriously.

Really? He was pretty easy for me. First, I just lured Tazok out, so I could kill him alone. Then I charmed Angelo and had him attack the mage while the rest of the party (mostly fighter characters) hammered on Sarevok. It was not all that hard.

baronjohn

Cipher
Kangaxx from BG2. Has an unlimited supply of Imprisonment spells (insta-gameover), is completely immune to magic and can only be hit by +5 weapons, for 1hp per hit.

baronjohn said:
Kangaxx from BG2. Has an unlimited supply of Imprisonment spells (insta-gameover), is completely immune to magic and can only be hit by +5 weapons, for 1hp per hit.

I went into the room, waited for him to cast up, then left the room and got a drink. By the time I came back, his buffs were gone and he was finished. Pretty rotten way to win I admit.

Tuonela

Novice
Blackadder said:
baronjohn said:

I went into the room, waited for him to cast up, then left the room and got a drink. By the time I came back, his buffs were gone and he was finished. Pretty rotten way to win I admit.

I think I used a wand with random effects on him, got lucky and he turned to stone. I was soloing on that playthrough.

aries202

Erudite
For me, Abizigail and hios mother in BG2 were tough, hard and difficult boss monsters to beat. Eventually, I did beat them both. Poquelin in the first Icewind Dale was kind of hard to defeat as well...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Blackadder said:
baronjohn said:

IIRC just send in Minsc and have him go berserk. That makes him immune to imprisonment.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Or just pop Slayer form. That takes care of any encounter in BGII.

SkeleTony

Augur
Wyrmlord said:
Luzur said:
Mega-Dragon in MM2.
What about the Mega Dragon in MM5?

Was surprisingly easy for me. The horde of dragons outside of the mega's lair gave me more trouble(and I crushed them too) but that may have been due to me not really planning for that fight.

SkeleTony

Augur
Blackadder said:
The final fight in Gateway to the savage frontier was fairly difficult, but you didn't have to fight it to win.

That the one with all those shambling mounds?! That was a fucking bitch when I played it way back when.

Nael

Arcane
Unkillable Cat said:
Speaking Of Xeen, I recall that the whole Swords of Xeen game was one tough fight. Which makes sense, as my party was only about level 35-36 when I completed the game.

I agree, but Lord XEEN was one of the easiest bosses in any game. His damn pet dragon was tougher than him. As were his robotic guards that shot eradicating laser beams out of their arm cannons.

TripJack

Hedonist
Mulmaster Beholder Corps (sp?) .

Granted, not really a boss battle. And, granted, it was ages ago.

Luzur

Good Sir
I've seen that Megadragon in MM2 can be taken down by Frenzy and then Disintegrate.

huh? i remembering throwing everything AND the kitchen sink at it and still i died like 5 times before beating him with luck.

i also broke a key on my old keyboard i had back then, cuz i hit it so hard with my fist in rage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom