Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
does merge makes solo experience easier? Ive red somewhere that you earn more xp in merge thanks to not sharing quest xp with dead party members.
Are there more examples?

If I solo druid: in mm6 I gain access to all the skills, like disarm trap mastery. When I move on to mm7, do I keep it?

Eisen

Learned
does merge makes solo experience easier? Ive red somewhere that you earn more xp in merge thanks to not sharing quest xp with dead party members.
Are there more examples?

If I solo druid: in mm6 I gain access to all the skills, like disarm trap mastery. When I move on to mm7, do I keep it?
I think Merge uses MM8 rules
EDIT: Nevermind, it uses MM7 rules for classes

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I think Merge uses MM8 rules
EDIT: Nevermind, it uses MM7 rules for classes
yeah looks like its mm7 classes with mm8 skills added on top. Anyway I managed to find the tables(in merge they are available without any extra work) so I can edit masteries at will anyway.

However I do have question around alchemy. Since its mm7 rules, how do I brew black potions? That skill/trainers normally do not exist in mm6. Do I have to wait until I reach mm7?

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice

However I do have question around alchemy. Since its mm7 rules, how do I brew black potions? That skill/trainers normally do not exist in mm6.

You learn alchemy in MM6 the same way Vampires learn to levitate, and Dragons learn to fly: by playing the flute at midnight on a full moon in the temple of Snakes, in Q's room, while singing, "bock bock bock B'GWAAAAAWK!"

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
ive compared new sorpigal solo druid mm6 vs mmmerge. MMMerge was much easier. Stats carry more impact and I had mana regeneration?
Shops carry +5 items and you can even get powerful enchantments like unicorn in first town

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
However I do have question around alchemy. Since its mm7 rules, how do I brew black potions? That skill/trainers normally do not exist in mm6. Do I have to wait until I reach mm7?
IF I recall correctly (and I am famous for my faulty memory), MM6 Master skill trainers also teach Grand Master in Merge.
yeah but in that example alchemy as a skill does not exists in mm6 to begin with. 2 trainers were added somewhere though

grimer

Learned
Have anyone tried MAW mod?
i only tried it for 6 as a standalone and remember liking most of the changes. makes some skills more useful (e.g shield now also grants damage resistance for the entire party), adds inherent class bonuses (e.g. archers can deal critical hits when using daggers) also adds new boss enemies to dungeons. some of the changes can be disabled in the ini file like the new classes, nightmare difficulty, linked skills, etc. didn't get to play much though bc i was busy at the time and ended up abandoning my playthrough.

my fav part is mentioning classes rebalances but not providing any read on that
here's the full list of changes for the mm6 standalone version that i played:
https://github.com/Malekitsu/MM6-MAW-Monster-Arts-and-Wonders

nvm you're right. the readme for the merge version doesn't mention all the changes. it just says right click on the class name in game.

Last edited:

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
I am playing MM6 in real-time only. Like an FPS. Strange indeed, because the huge recovery times. I am pressing A key and usually nothing happens.
Which is the better method?
1. press A (attack) repeatedly
2. hold down A

My story: I first played MM6 in this mode. I had played only FPS games until then. I liked the game overall, but this real-time only combat was so *strange*. So I abandoned the playing after 5-6 levels.
Years later I gave another try (after MM8) and used turn-based mode only. Suddenly MM6 became one of the greatest games.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
The better method if you play in real time is to have your sorcerer quickspell your favorite attack spell and press S exclusively, for everybody.
Any characters without a quickspell will either attack or shoot their bow.
If you used Fireball , obviously change it to Sparks/Poison Spray/Fireblast when you are at close range.

I'm not a MM6 modder, but if I was, I would implement TWO quickspell keys per characters, allowing one to have one for long range, and one for close-range.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
This real-time battle is very chaotic. I have 4 knights party. I was attacked by 10 spiders and I was pressing Attack like crazy in close combat. No any hit. What is happened? May be I was targeting nothing. I moved a little, than it was OK.
Bow is problematic too, monsters come in zig-zag, so I cannot hit any. I do not feel this combat. Yet.

Question:
How do you make torchlight in the dungeon with 4 knights? I can see nothing. My eyes are burning.

Last edited:

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
Unfortunately, unlike the Wizard Eye spell that can be had with hirelings, for Torch Light you're stuck with spell scrolls, since no hirelings cast Torch Light (they should have, IMHO)

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
When you know the magic item shop has renewed its stock (for most shops it's either 7 or 14 days), camp in front of it, save the game, and reload until the shop has the spells you want.
The item randomization only happens when you visit the shop.
I do that whenever I play a game without an arcane caster in my party (to get torch light scrolls, jump scrolls, water walk scrolls, fly scrolls, fireball wands, sparks wands)
or clerical caster (to get cure weakness, bless heroism raise dead scrolls mostly)

In MM3-4-5, you can also do it, but it's more complicated, item randomization happens as soon as the new week starts whether you visited the shop or not, so you need to camp in front of the shop at day 10, save, and then spend the night to day 1 AND then enter the shop to see the random selection.

In MM1, the items are always the same, 100% of the time
In MM2, the base items are always the same but on certain days of the year, items in the "buy special" option get a +1, +2, +3, bonus up to +12 (it's not random)

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Goys, this is BIG.

I found a way to fix the dreadfully dull colour palette of MM7 in the Merge Mod! The saturation value for every continent is in the file Continent settings locatd in the game_folder/Data/Tables folder. Now it is almost as vibrant as Jadame for me!

Last edited:

Kayato

Literate
Advice for MM4? Or rather for World of Xeen since the GoG version only offers that. From what I understand the 4 and 5 are very connected and then a unique version came out right? Is the druid useful in MM4? In MM3 I used it and in the end I would have preferred to find a Ranger who could at least use the bow!
Sorry a little late to the party, I hope this is still useful advice. Yes, MM4 was initially released standalone, with multiple things that just did nothing (the reflectors, the pyramids, one of the Sphinxes, 2 of the towers, 1 of the dungeon, maybe more I don't remember). Then MM5 came out, you could either install it standalone and play it on its own, or it installed on top of MM4 and formed World of Xeen, with the ability to go back and forth between the worlds, the full campaigns from both, and then an extra bit after you completed both main games. Then WOX was released on its own, the same version as you'd get by combining the games came on some compilation, and then there was the WOX CD version which came on 2 CDs. All versions of WOX, no matter how you get them, are identical in gameplay IIRC.

Druid/ranger in MM3 have their own spellbook with unique spells, and only little overlap with the sorcerer or cleric ones. In WOX they instead overlap with portions of both other spellbooks and no longer get anything unique, but the spells they get are also the more basic and frankly least useful ones, I never considered a druid/ranger a replacement for either a sorcerer/archer or cleric/paladin in WOX. The starting party has a ranger, and it's often the only one I replace (often with an archer).

I don't remember the specifics of the puzzles you mentioned in MM3, but I think every puzzle can be figured out by hints alone (some are tougher than others). The mirror words you find in the pyramid are probably just to make endgame travelling speedier and less annoying, I don't think you can get them earlier.
Thanks anyway, at the moment I think I've reached the end, I'm missing a few dungeons/towers but I've already reached the level cap of 15th (16th because I found a bonus in the Golem dungeon). I accidentally used the pyramid just outside Vertigo, but immediately went back, hope I didn't ruin anything.
But so originally MM5 allowed you to completely import the party from MM4 (and not a conversion like between MM1 and MM2) or did it allow you to start with a high level party? Because I hope the second world is balanced otherwise the first dungeons won't offer me any challenge.

I had always started considering the party of 6 plus 2 hirelings, luckily I had put all the important classes in the first 6! I discovered the absence of hirelings much later!

I'm sorry to see the archer who has lost a bit of usefulness, he is always very useful as a "second magician" but the name "archer" no longer makes sense, they could have added some bonuses to ranged attacks.

Kayato

Literate
- going from fights with hundreds of enemies to encounters with up to 3 enemies and all very fast was immediately a relief, but I'm sorry that they simplified the fight so much. Party formation is no longer important and the archer has also lost some of its usefulness.
yea that was my main gripe with 3. they also removed a lot of crowd control spells since you're only fighting 3 enemies at a time now which further stripped away any semblance of tactics to the combat. i would hate this game but the exploration carries it so hard. i liked delving through a dungeon and finding a key that opens a different dungeon which contains some mysterious sci-fi object that you need to collect for the end of the game. i liked all the scattered bits of info that you piece together or even just clearing monster camps and finding hidden treasure. i think 3 did this better than 2 and 4 (haven't played 5 yet), and most rpgs for that matter.

The entrance to the dungeon in one of the wizards' castles.
"OTTFFSSEN"
"What is the watchword?"
"At five past six and five past four the watchword is near. Think often and may be discovered."
"Nine letters line the wall behind the ladder. The tenth letter would be the first in the watchword."
The answer is ten, is there a logical method to find the answer or do the clues simply suggest the word "ten"?
i got stuck there too but looking back it now, the hints were adequate. OTTFFSSEN are the initials of the first 9 numbers. it says the watchword is near five past six (11) and five past four (9). it even spoils the answer with "think of-ten".

the worst riddle imo was from one of the gravestones on the first island that goes "what is too much for one, just enough for two but nothing for three?" i answered "love" but the correct answer was "secret". why can't one person keep a secret? also love was more fitting since the reward was info related to the love triangle between the two wizards and the mermaid.

Cathedral of Carnage:
what is the logic on the 5 statues to be rotated in the correct cardinal points?
it was written on one of the walls in the temple of moo.

Druid/ranger in MM3 have their own spellbook with unique spells, and only little overlap with the sorcerer or cleric ones. In WOX they instead overlap with portions of both other spellbooks and no longer get anything unique, but the spells they get are also the more basic and frankly least useful ones, I never considered a druid/ranger a replacement for either a sorcerer/archer or cleric/paladin in WOX. The starting party has a ranger, and it's often the only one I replace (often with an archer).
i included a ranger in my party for xeen because i wanted another character that can fight and heal for the early game and cast lloyd's beacon later.
About the puzzles:
"OTTFFSSEN are the initials of the first 9 numbers"
Congratulations indeed, I hadn't noticed, this makes everything even more meaningful!

"it was written on one of the walls in the temple of moo."
then it means that I had completely missed or forgotten that clue!

"what is too much for one, just enough for two but nothing for three?"
I answered "couple" or "pair" which always links back to the story of the two wizards and the mermaid. But "secret" makes sense. it's too much for one person because of the weight one carries inside to keep something secret, just enough for two because you're sharing a secret with a trusted person, too much for three because how can you say it's no longer a secret, too many people know it by now.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
I have a question about MM3-4-5
Why do "physical" type damage spells (Dancing Swords, Starburst) always fail against monsters that are immune to every element EXCEPT physical? (MM3 Dragon King, MM4 Dragon king)

But so originally MM5 allowed you to completely import the party from MM4 (and not a conversion like between MM1 and MM2) or did it allow you to start with a high level party? Because I hope the second world is balanced otherwise the first dungeons won't offer me any challenge.
The way it's balanced you get a harder start than MM 4 but still doable at 1st level, while enemies and quests provide like 10-100x as much XP as you'd expect so that you're done with the first region with more XP than all of MM4

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
- If you create characters in the Castleview tavern they start at level 5 instead of level 1.
- The early quests in Castleview and its sewers give TONS of XP, especially if you solve both 9 chest challenges.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
MM6 + grayface patch

Is there a limit for the Bow skill?
I am master level and 10. How much far should I increase it? How can I see its recovery value? Is a cap there?

Luzur

Good Sir
Ok, im gaming MMmerge mod hard and cleared out New Sorpigal and moved into Ironfist, but i have this wierd bug where i cant enter the guilds in town without crashing, and only the guilds, the rest is fine. Anyone had this error?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom