Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.7%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 211 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.8%

• Total voters

visions

Arcane
I've cleared the Temple of Baa out of shit and found the treasure room, at last.I think it took me more than two hours to fight all these skeletons spawning with an every opened chest.

Will my 10lvl knight/knight/cleric/sorcerer team clrear Dragoon's cavern without bigger problems? Had shitton of those in the Temple.

If you go there, try to stay clear of the oozes at least, they'll probably rape you at your current level.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
And the final score after completing World of Xeen:.
Heh, you answered all questions before I saw your posts.

Glad you had fun with WOX. It is indeed much more fun than the individual games, especially Clouds. Did you end up doing Dungeon of Death and Barkman? At high levels the latter is a pushover, but fighting him at the level you do the dungeon is a fun challenge.

The ST references are all over the series. If you thought releasing Corak was funny, wait until the Tomb of VARN passwords in MM6...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Woooo

1174c41.jpg

Yeah, kinda horrible score and levels, but goddammit, the endgame in mm7 was horrible. Would probably get sum higher levels and shit, but I just honestly couldn't be bothered grinding through the behemoths in Eeofol tunnels, the goddamn titan and dragon hordes in Land of the Giants and the friggin gay-ass devils in ZOG colony that do no damage but wreck your mana, so I pretty much just rushed through them, only stopping by to kill sum megadragons, Xenofexes and rescue Rolands. Also, blasters were shit. Also, the droids aboard the Lincoln were not amusing. MEEEEEEEEH

All in all a p cool game, but the endgame was SERIOUSLY lacking. At least for me.

Next stop MM8... or should I? I think I remember reading conflicting opinions :M

DaveO

Erudite
MM8 is ok, although there are some serious abuse problems with character recruitment(you can get a level 50 character very easily or the Dragon which makes the game super-easy). If you ignore those and stick with the lower-level recruits, the game can be a decent experience.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
MM8 is ok, although there are some serious abuse problems with character recruitment(you can get a level 50 character very easily or the Dragon which makes the game super-easy).
While true, it is important to remember that without metagaming and walkthroughs (a very old fashioned way of playing) these problems probably won't rise. When I played it, I didn't get a dragon until quite late in the game (they are so broken that it was obvious even then though) and as for the level 50 character I sincerely doubt many people got it soon in any natural way. Sure, one can play normally and still be among the ones who randomly happen to get either one too soon and ruin the whole game balance, but I'd say chances are quite low.
The more so if you're the kind of player who tends to stick to his first party. The same who went totally "WTF ?" when meeting yet other recruitable characters when finally reaching Bladur's gate with an almost caped party. Then again, Tiax isn't exactly balance breaking.

DaveO

Erudite
It's pretty easy finding the Dragon in MM8 even without a walkthru. But M&M has long been a series where you find and use the exploits as quickly and often as possible.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
You have to get to Garrote gorge, be strong enough to walk around there and go into the dragons cave. It's not something that many are prone to do a.s.a.p, or even "soon" if they don't already know what they are looking for. It's not only about getting to Ithigore being easy (and it's not even that easy if you play normally), it's also about randomly finding him.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I have still never played MM8, and the more I read of this is really turning me off.
If you liked 6 and 7, 8 is worth at least a half-hearted try. Reading about games tips or strategies prior to playing them is never a good idea anyway. Especially when reading material is provided by people who like to powergame and/or show off their deep knowledge of the game. The "LOL secret dungeon, fountain of gods, real time flying nuking laser-beaming superheroes !" talk whenever MM6 gets discussed would also have turned me off hadn't I played it before. Fortunately, the game doesn't boil down to this.

visions

Arcane
While true, it is important to remember that without metagaming and walkthroughs (a very old fashioned way of playing) these problems probably won't rise. When I played it, I didn't get a dragon until quite late in the game (they are so broken that it was obvious even then though) and as for the level 50 character I sincerely doubt many people got it soon in any natural way. Sure, one can play normally and still be among the ones who randomly happen to get either one too soon and ruin the whole game balance, but I'd say chances are quite low.

I remember I got the dragon quite soon with no foreknowledge of him. I never played MM8 too far though. I might have mostly explored while avoiding the enemies in that area, I used to do that quite often in MM6-8 in areas beyond my level when I first played them.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's not so disappointing and unavoidable that I would mention it first thing when discussing MM8's flaws. The lack of party creation for instance, that can't be avoided and happens as soon as you start a game would be a more important depart from the usual M&M formula to point at, at least for me.

DaveO

Erudite
Even though you only create one character at the beginning of MM8, you still can optionally recruit others into your party. The game has a slightly different version of Arcomage and some of the promotions can be challenging. The ending is the same regardless of which sides you pick for your alliances.

Jaesun missed his chance for MM8 once the sale expired. I can't justify full price on GoG for the game.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I have still never played MM8, and the more I read of this is really turning me off.
If you liked 6 and 7, 8 is worth at least a half-hearted try. Reading about games tips or strategies prior to playing them is never a good idea anyway. Especially when reading material is provided by people who like to powergame and/or show off their deep knowledge of the game. The "LOL secret dungeon, fountain of gods, real time flying nuking laser-beaming superheroes !" talk whenever MM6 gets discussed would also have turned me off hadn't I played it before. Fortunately, the game doesn't boil down to this.
Thats an interesting thought.

The internet has kind of fucked up gaming, huh? When I think of all my favorite RPGs that I consider pretty "hardcore" I realize that I played most of them before the Internet held the answer to ever spoiler, nook and cranny. item location and cheat...Along with meta game character creation FAQs.

When I played M and M 6 (one of my favorite games of all times) I actually had to do all the puzzles and figure everything out on my own . It was also my first "M and M game. I spent hours "wasting time" (i.e. actually exploring and playing the game and not trying to "best use" my time for the ultimate build) and had a blast.

-Today one of the first things I do is look up a Character Creation guide to "plan my guy". If (God, forbid) I am stuck on a quest for more than an hour or so I often look up the solution. Its kind of sad.

Damn pandoras box.

DaveO

Erudite
MM8 does not have "secret dungeon, fountain of gods, or real time flying nuking laser-beaming superheroes" although I did already give away the game-breakers.

You are free to play MM8 in any way that you like. Nobody forces you to take a specific path.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The internet has kind of fucked up gaming, huh?
It's also a question of wanting to be spoiled or not. When I heard about Silent Storm here for instance (because internet is still great to spread the news), I read enough to know that the game seemed very interesting and then stopped reading and played it (To the end. Twice. I loved it.). I had a blast even though I couldn't help but get the "Panzerkleins suck" part that comes with every SS discussion. Didn't spoil me much since I had no idea what a panzerklein actually was. They do suck though.

So all in all when it comes to gaming, internet is a mixed blessing, it brings to your attention games you probably would have never known about otherwise, yet spoils them if you don't manage to avoid discussing them too much before actually trying them. That's why I won't be reading much about "Chaos chronicles" when it's released because it seems interesting enough for a "real" try.

visions

Arcane
Thats an interesting thought.

The internet has kind of fucked up gaming, huh? When I think of all my favorite RPGs that I consider pretty "hardcore" I realize that I played most of them before the Internet held the answer to ever spoiler, nook and cranny. item location and cheat...Along with meta game character creation FAQs.

When I played M and M 6 (one of my favorite games of all times) I actually had to do all the puzzles and figure everything out on my own . It was also my first "M and M game. I spent hours "wasting time" (i.e. actually exploring and playing the game and not trying to "best use" my time for the ultimate build) and had a blast.

-Today one of the first things I do is look up a Character Creation guide to "plan my guy". If (God, forbid) I am stuck on a quest for more than an hour or so I often look up the solution. Its kind of sad.

Damn pandoras box.

I seldom look up things in advance on purpose but occasionally browsing the codex or reading reviews reveals some information that I then feel I'd rather have discovered myself.

And when stuck I might look an issue up on the web. I try to avoid looking problems up on the web but when I eventually do it and then learn that I was stuck because of some bug, I wish I did it earlier instead of having been so stubborn. Then again, when I think I may be stuck on a bug and then learn that actually I am doing something wrong, I'm pissed at myself for looking the solution up. But it's sometimes hard to tell whether you are stuck because of some bug or are doing something wrong. Yet I also feel things were somehow more magical before I had internet access at home. So it's a mixed blessing as Vazdru says.

7hm

Scholar
I'm going through mm3. I don't really want to look at walkthroughs (except for item stats - I'd do it in excel but I'm playing on the phone). That said do the chests in the dark warriors keep always explode or is it because Im too low level? It seems like a third of them explode every time (reloading to test). I have trouble at this stage with the Jousters anyway so an I better just coming back to this later?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Generally speaking, if an area is giving you trouble in MM3, there's probably 1 or 2 other areas you could be doing instead that'd be easier. But dungeons aren't uniformly difficult throughout either; it's often worthwhile to poke your head in, grab some easy treasure or permanent buffs, and then leave, coming back later to finish off the boss or unlock chests/bash doors you can't get currently, etc.

I can't remember much about that dungeon in particular, except that the boss is fucking insanely deadly considering how early you can get there.

7hm

Scholar
Yeah that's what I figured. I decided to just go explore some more. I've played through a lot of this already, but its been a while. I love the exploration aspect of m&m.

Luzur

Good Sir
Generally speaking, if an area is giving you trouble in MM3, there's probably 1 or 2 other areas you could be doing instead that'd be easier. But dungeons aren't uniformly difficult throughout either; it's often worthwhile to poke your head in, grab some easy treasure or permanent buffs, and then leave, coming back later to finish off the boss or unlock chests/bash doors you can't get currently, etc.

I can't remember much about that dungeon in particular, except that the boss is fucking insanely deadly considering how early you can get there.

you are not supposed to enter that one until later, when you hunt for orbs.

also, dont forget to teleport into the "9" in this dungeon from the east for some extra high-quality loot.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Tbh I find that by the time you are strong enough to hunt for orbs, the loot starts being kinda irrelevant. Aside from an obsidian weapon for everyone, most other things will be utterly dwarfed by what your buffs do at level 40+

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
There is some guy that's collecting temple gongs in New Haven, but I can't find him. Where exactly is he?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom