Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Although I only had this feeling when I played Fallout for the first time, in Realms of Arkania you have to be incredibly slow to fail on the time limit and in World of Xeen it's next to impossible to die of old age ;)

For one such as myself that has played New Vegas and restarted it over 30 times, this could be a problem.

Why? I don't really see the connection between restarting a game dozens of times and a time limit in a game.

I clock 20+ hours easily before even being 1/2 done.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Although I only had this feeling when I played Fallout for the first time, in Realms of Arkania you have to be incredibly slow to fail on the time limit and in World of Xeen it's next to impossible to die of old age ;)

For one such as myself that has played New Vegas and restarted it over 30 times, this could be a problem.

Why? I don't really see the connection between restarting a game dozens of times and a time limit in a game.

I clock 20+ hours easily before even being 1/2 done.

Hmm, well as I said Fallout 1 might prove problematic if you are too slow - in RoA on the other hand you can easily spend 60 hours or so without getting close to the time limit (as long as you don't take the craziest routes across the country, that is - like traveling from one end of the map to the other and then back or something). In M&M you can spend hundreds of hours without getting close to dying of old age.

Dorateen

Arcane
Don't forget supernatural aging and advancement of time. In Might & Magic II there were dungeon corridors that would age the party, and I'm pretty sure there have been monsters with the ability to add years to the life of a character as well.

In Xeen, there should be a quest for restoring youth.

treborSux

Arcane
Consider this in Xeen. A trip to the guild to level all six of your characters up a couple levels, 2 trips to the bank for deposits/withdrawls, 2 trips to the temple for healing, 2 trips to the tavern for tips and rumors and 2 trips to the blacksmith to sell excess weapons is already 1/5 of a year gone and you haven't even left town. It only takes 17 years before your characters permanently start losing stats. Mix all your town trips with leveling up, traveling and resting. I feel like my characters are going to be geriatrics by the time I finish playing. I take pride in trying to keep my characters young and beautiful. It's going to be tough I think.

helpimarock

Novice
I just checked my last save game and by the end of both Xeen games my characters were only 27. It really isn't an issue.

Servo

Arcane
Anyone know where one can go to find a good quality scan of the original manual? The one on GOG is rather shite.

Servo

Arcane
Uh, am I supposed to be fighting these guardsmen? I read somewhere that deciding whether to attack, retreat or surrender affects your alignment...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Uh, am I supposed to be fighting these guardsmen? I read somewhere that deciding whether to attack, retreat or surrender affects your alignment...

Which guardsmen?
I think alignment shift only happens if you repeatedly attack good creatures like unicorns and pegasi; guards are probably considered neutral. IIRC the only downside to alignment shift is that your cleric's Turn Undead ability may be affected, in MM1 and/or MM2.

Servo

Arcane

Which guardsmen?
I think alignment shift only happens if you repeatedly attack good creatures like unicorns and pegasi; guards are probably considered neutral. IIRC the only downside to alignment shift is that your cleric's Turn Undead ability may be affected, in MM1 and/or MM2.

These ones. I'm not sure how you're supposed to know which monsters are good or evil. The wiki doesn't even say.

Also how can I tell which weapons are more powerful? The manual said higher prices mean higher damage but that would make staff a more powerful weapon than short sword, right?

Anyone know where one can go to find a good quality scan of the original manual? The one on GOG is rather shite.

Try this one: http://mocagh.org/nwc/mmwox-manual.pdf

I just realized I never said which game. I'm actually looking for a manual for MM1. The one on GOG is just text.

Luzur

Good Sir

Which guardsmen?

These ones. I'm not sure how you're supposed to know which monsters are good or evil. The wiki doesn't even say.

Also how can I tell which weapons are more powerful? The manual said higher prices mean higher damage but that would make staff a more powerful weapon than short sword, right?

Try this one: http://mocagh.org/nwc/mmwox-manual.pdf

I just realized I never said which game. I'm actually looking for a manual for MM1. The one on GOG is just text.

huh, i never seen any change in my alignment by defeating enemies in MM1-2 and i played those alot, maybe if you break into some castle vaults, but if you are attacked randomly swing away.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I know I've discussed alignment shifts in MM1-2 (they do happen some times) in detail at some point, but I don't recall wether it was in this thread or on CRPG Addict's blog.
And I'm too tired/busy to search now.

Servo

Arcane

Luzur

Good Sir
Someone on GOG posted scans of his real MM1 and MM2 manuals here: https://pogoplug.com/s/C1oURIlVqkc/
They have the illustrations, etc.

Here's the thread: http://af.gog.com/forum/might_and_magic_series/better_map_and_manual_scans/page1?as=1649904300

I saw that about the same time actually. Thanks!

i scanned my manual and map for Wizardrys and his MM1 remake years ago, those should still be floating around.

Servo

Arcane
Good find indeed. Those PC Engine shots make me want one. Then again, it seems the Mac version had the best interface.

MM1 is a lot of fun btw, at least compared to U4. I kinda hate mapping outdoor areas though.

Servo

Arcane
I meant I thought it was because seriouz C&C and immershun, and orcs. The dungeons aren't so bad mapping but practically every wall on the surface is false.

Luzur

Good Sir

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom